• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think forgers were really setting their hopes too high. The only thing I was really expecting was better performance, a uniformed aesthetic, and some new environments. It would have been nice to get more new pieces, but I wasn't expecting it. The new texturing alone has got me excited to play with forge. And the lighting is a HUGE thing for me. That and the possibilities of Dominion. :)

I guess I'll be one of the few forgers looking forward to it. I do have my own problems with it though.

The main thing that I think was a huge oversight was the lack of flat "canvas" areas and the amount of relatively smooth natural terrain to work with for BTB. BTB is quite popular in the customs world so having them get the shaft isn't really fair.

Also who's idea was it to make the grifball court extremely clean and shiny mixed with Erosion's rustic aesthetic? There is a HUGE aesthetic clash between the two. Interior maps in the grifball court will not be able to create an immersive experience because of the drastic difference between the pieces and the flooring/walling/ceiling of the grifball stadium.

In addition I feel like there should have been more of a balance in dispersion of new objects. Impact presents a LOT of options in terms of new pieces... and they are all really large which makes them great for structure creation. Not only that it got a moving piece, a hologram piece, a glass circular piece, etc. Ravine got some decent new buildings and the catwalk is pretty useful and there might be some potential in the half circle. Erosion definitely could have used more love with bigger pieces, being one of the larger maps. New large structural pieces similar to Impact's would have been great to make use of, but instead a variety of pipes were added. They look cool and they are a decent size, but I think forgers would get more use out of larger, flat structural pieces at the $10 a piece... and the ability to have 100 of them. So from this perspective Impact will definitely be overused... and that is ignoring the fascination of it being in space with great landmarks in the skybox and the fact that low grav actually makes sense in the atmosphere.

Those are pretty minor issues though. For the most part I'm really looking forward to Halo 4 and adapting as an aspiring designer to the new sandbox and gametypes. :)

IHaveIce

Banned
Im not trying to insult you, so quit with the insults to me plox.

You saying "2games of reach- I'm annoyed, damn is this game a mess." Is clearly saying from those 2 games, the game is a mess. Why else would you have add it, if it wasnt relevant to the games? And what exactly is the issue that happened in those 2 games?

Not hating, Its just I certainly have never understood all the hate it gets.
I didn't intend to insult you really lol, I just took it as a offense that you just made a assumption what my problem is and then had to point out that my lack of skill would make my opinion less worthy.

Probably I wrote that wrong, english isn't my native language so maybe this was the problem.

I was annoyed by those games- yes.
The game is a mess - yes, but this wasn't based on those games, it was based on my whole expierence with Reach and thought it fitted here.

In those games I had probably 5 total host changes, 1 afk guy, and people who voted for uncaged and did nothig but jetpack in the air and get suicides. The close room on uncaged and countdown + Reach's grenades didn't make it better.

Of course alot of this stuff what happened today was caused by players and nit by the game itself but like I said those were my problems today.

No offense or insulting was intended, I apologize.

Also I'm one of those guys who like heckfu's posts
Edit: also damn I totally didn't want to cause again a war which Halo is the best.
psst it is halo 2

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Best non-Halo games:

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Zelda: Link to the Past
3. Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. Portal
5. Advance Wars
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. F-Zero GX
8. Metroid: Zero Mission

Any further than that and I can't decide.

Why talk about something that doesn't exist?
Exactly. I wouldn't expect them to touch on it in the Q/A segment next week, either.

How old are you by chance?...

That's unfair.

1. Halo Wars
2. Pokemon Black 2
3. CoD Blops
4. Borderlands
5. Hello Kitty Roller Rescue
6. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
7. Nintendogs
8. Wii Sports
9. Imagine: Babyz
10. God of War II
1467. Halo CE

Wow, where was all this talk about Halo1/2 last night when I was getting pummeled by
Good to see Philadelphia is smack dab in the middle.

Two summers ago we got a hurricane (Irene?). I drank a case of beer and watched comic book movies all night. During the storm I went out on the roof deck and did my best lt. Dan impression and passed out.

I can only get stronger this year.
haha next time take video so we can all enjoy!

Yup, I've had my eye on it for a couple days now. Praying it loses strength or moves further into the Atlantic. I'll probably lose power for a couple days.
At least it's happening next week and not the week after. Now that would ruin someone's day being stuck without power on November 6.
They said we were going to get hit in Buffalo pretty hard. Excited about that. Maybe I can get a day off work.
I'm rooting for you.

So I bought Metro 2033 the other day on XBL, I enjoyed the first few levels from what I played before but yeah, this game is dogshit. Saw Bioshock 2 on sale for $10 bucks. Worth it? I loved the first one.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
So I bought Metro 2033 the other day on XBL, I enjoyed the first few levels from what I played before but yeah, this game is dogshit. Saw Bioshock 2 on sale for $10 bucks. Worth it? I loved the first one.

Package it Minerva's Den DLC. Worth it alone for that.

^ Im probably gonna grab Minerva's Den whiles its on sale and I have the points and buy Bioshock 2 at a later date. Seems everyone says its great so I really wanna try it out.

For those who suggested it, Alan Wake AN was OK. I have two more manuscript pages and like 8 other survive til dawn maps to unlock, but to be honest the games combat isn't pulling me in. I really enjoyed Alan Wake, but AN just didn't do it for me. I don't regret it though, 600pts, especially since they were free points made it a steal.

Sundance's twitter

CoD is winning from twitter.

CoD just doesn't feel like a great circuit game to me.. Kinda crazy Halo has fallen so far in MLG.

Omni

The Forerunner structures on Vortex look crazy. Maybe it's the colour, but they look all mashed up together.

Infinity slayer is still cancer, but the map overall looks great.

Beckx

God, I couldn't even begin to put together just a top ten. Can only do this by generation.

Atari VCS through "the Crash" -

-Pitfall
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (okay - a *terrible* game but kind of an Ur-adventure game, so)

C64/Atari computers -

• Mail Order Monsters (by the Skylanders guy!)
  • Adventure Construction Set
  • Realms of Impossibility
  • Archon
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

NES/SMS:
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Phantasy Star
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden

SNES/Genesis
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Phantasy Star II
  • NHL 94
  • Street Fighter II
  • Final Fantasy III (III, dammit)
  • Herzog Zwei
  • M.U.S.H.A.

PS1/Saturn/N64
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Tobal 2
  • Bushido Blade
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Darkstalkers
  • MGS1
  • Panzer Dragoon

PC - late 90s-early 2000s
  • Heavy Gear II
  • Unreal
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Ultima Online (terribly *programmed* but players did amazing things)
  • Diablo II
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Rogue Spear

360/PS3/Wii - way too many, too recent to even think about a list. Some standouts:
  • Mushihimesama Futari
  • Vanquish
  • Bayonetta
  • Journey
  • Halo 3
  • Demons' Souls
  • too many that I'm forgetting

MGS3 is my favorite game after the Halos.

I like the way you think. You'll see I don't have a category for PS2/Xbox, because I exited console gaming for a bit - so the list would essentially be the MGS games + Shadow of Destiny. No real point since I didn't play most of the console stuff that gen. And fuck me if I didn't forget the Dreamcast: PSO, Jet Grind Radio, NFL2K1, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia. Damn. Someday I will do this methodically.

orznge

Banned
Are you actually trying to argue that the pistol is not the highest killing weapon overall for CE? Good luck with that.

By definition the weapon that gets the most kills is overpowered, and the devs understood this and that Master Chief likes variety, and likes knowing which weapon to use when he's out there on the battlefield which is why, in my opinion, Halo 2, 3 and Reach were vastly superior to Halo CE.

DeadNames

Banned
The Forerunner structures on Vortex look crazy. Maybe it's the colour, but they look all mashed up together.

Infinity slayer is still cancer, but the map overall looks great.

Hey now.

But I agree, Infinity Slayer sounds more like an arcade gametype.

I'll probably enjoy it a lot though.

Vire

Best non-Halo games:

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Zelda: Link to the Past
3. Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. Portal
5. Advance Wars
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. F-Zero GX
8. Metroid: Zero Mission

Any further than that and I can't decide.

Exactly. I wouldn't expect them to touch on it in the Q/A segment next week, either.
Not a bad list, I love pretty much every game there. Well, besides Zero Mission... it's good but Super Metroid/Prime are better in my opinion.

This got me thinking...

In no particular order, just some of my favorite games to give you an idea of my taste besides Halo.

Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda: Link to the Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Starcraft
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 4
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI/X/XII
Advance Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Dead Space
Mega Man X
Wave Race
Rock Band
Half Life 2
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Pokemon Red (Fuck Blastoise)
Space Invaders

I'm probably forgetting a ton, but hey! My life would suck without these games.

By definition the weapon that gets the most kills is overpowered, and the devs understood this and that Master Chief likes variety, and likes knowing which weapon to use when he's out there on the battlefield which is why, in my opinion, Halo 2, 3 and Reach were vastly superior to Halo CE.

It's nice to know you're open minded about other Halo games and settings. I'm just devil advocating against the 3SK pistol really but CE was such a big gap between #1 kills with pistol and #2 kills with whatever other weapon mix.

It's been getting adjusted more throughout the Halo games and I'm hoping what I've been hearing/seeing about Halo 4 precision weapons means we'll see a larger variety of #1 weapons in play.

Omni

Hey now.

But I agree, Infinity Slayer sounds more like an arcade gametype.

I'll probably enjoy it a lot though.

I'm just not seeing the appeal.

I can just imagine some full parties pubbing in Infinity Slayer, getting all of these power weapons by spawn killing and being even more unbeatable than they were in Reach with a bunch of randoms on your team.

orznge

Banned
It nice to know you're open minded about other Halo games and settings. I'm just devil advocating against the 3SK pistol really but it was such a big gap between #1 kills with pistol and #2 kills with whatever other weapon mix.

It's been getting adjusted more throughout the games and I'm hoping what I hear about Halo 4 precision weapons means we'll see a larger variety of #1 weapons in play.

It's nice to know that you're still asserting anecdotal hyperbole derived from playing with a small group of players at an undetermined skill level as fact and mocking people who might have experience to share.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
It's nice to know that you're still asserting anecdotal hyperbole derived from playing with a small group of players at an undetermined skill level as fact and mocking people who might have experience to share.

I've read the word "hyperbole" 20x more since I joined the GAF than I have in my entire life.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
kG3or.gif

Good list overall, though. :p

Not a bad list, I love pretty much every game there. Well, besides Zero Mission... it's good but Super Metroid/Prime are better in my opinion.
I'm ashamed to say that I've barely played Super Metroid. I consider Metroid to be one of my favorite franchises, but I haven't played the supposed king. And I'm not a huge fan of the Prime games. I feel like Metroid, like many other Nintendo franchises, doesn't translate well into 3D. I don't hate 3D Metroid like I hate 3D Zelda with a burning fiery passion, but I definitely prefer the 2D titles. I love SNES/Gameboy/GBA Nintendo so much. Post-Gamecube Nintendo... not so much.

I try to keep an open mind mate and of course I'm going to call on my experience with the game. It's not like I've only had 10 games of Reach in my Halo history mate.

I've played with a large variety of players throughout Halo 2, 3 & minimally in Reach as I'm more relaxed these days in my Halo gaming.

For reference I've played with consistent level 50's in objective/slayer Halo 3 and played Australian pros like Cabel & Team Immunity right through to teaming up with players that would be considered less experienced.

I like to play with gamers that don't take it too seriously and enjoy default Halo over MLG. Clearly we'd never play together because we have differing tastes in Halo settings.

Beckx

kG3or.gif

C'mon! In the first ten minutes a woman invites you into her back room, the screen shakes, and you come out with full health restored. But seriously, it's challenging, and I like it, though it can't compare with the first one. (I'm a devotee of that game & what Tevis Thompson talks about in Saving Zelda.)

Also Zelda II sucks.

You're a terrible person. :(

2. ChromeHounds

Hell yeah. So sad that you can't even make mechs with all the parts now.

Vire

I'm ashamed to say that I've barely played Super Metroid. I consider Metroid to be one of my favorite franchises, but I haven't played the supposed king. And I'm not a huge fan of the Prime games. I feel like Metroid, like many other Nintendo franchises, doesn't translate well into 3D. I don't hate 3D Metroid like I hate 3D Zelda with a burning fiery passion, but I definitely prefer the 2D titles. I love SNES/Gameboy/GBA Nintendo so much. Post-Gamecube Nintendo... not so much.

Super Metroid still holds up remarkably well, so you can definitely go back and play it someday. Preferably a rainy dreary day. :)

Also Zelda II sucks.

Junior members:
click here -----> twitch.tv/tashiii

I sincerely appreciate the teamwork, practice and skill these guys/gals have, kudos you're all very skilled. However I have no interest in watching/playing MLG settings and boring forge maps with condensed gameplay.

Bring me some creative Halo gameplay and I'll watch that moreover. I prefer free form roaming Halo over repetitive setups or memorisation of grenade throws etc.

Just my opinion but thanks for the feed to watch some mad skills at work.

wwm0nkey

Are we still making lists?

1. Megaman Battlenetwork 3 (God tier end game content)
2. ChromeHounds
3. Halo 2
4. Dark Souls
5. Megaman Legends

Off topic, but I thought I recognised your name from somewhere!
http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/C...ndomrosso93#/?game=1154652913&section=Unknown

Came up against you yesterday in matchmaking. Such a terrible game, haha

Nice one mate. Yeah some of us play together regularly, we have fun in BTB or invasion mostly. If you look up iDoublePummel and his regular BTB team you'll find some insane BTB players/games there. Those guys are seriously dedicated to dominating BTB.

It was a terrible game, no one seemed to organise anything :)

kG3or.gif

Zelda II is a great game aside from a few issues.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom