• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that depends on who you're talking to. I didn't really play Firefight even though I enjoyed it occasionally but Spartan Ops is certainly value added to me.

Same here.

However, I and I assume most people here would want to know how the netcode holds up.

If the netcode is unstable, then serious questions need to be asked in regards to the addition of and allocation of resources towards SO.

A bad netcode will make the mode worthless to me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I also never played FF, but I also don't see myself playing Spartan Ops either. The point is that it's replacing content.

If you look at like like that then yea, you take out one thing and add in another in its place. However, Spartan Ops "weighs" more than Firefight for me and I think a lot of other people.

CyReN

I think that depends on who you're talking to. I didn't really play Firefight even though I enjoyed it occasionally but Spartan Ops is certainly value added to me.

Same, excited for 50 different missions instead of Gruntpocalypse.

S1kkZ

the australian xbox facebook site mentioned a 7 minute fincher trailer a few days ago.
was this ever confirmed?

Moa

the australian xbox facebook site mentioned a 7 minute fincher trailer a few days ago.
was this ever confirmed?

Tried looking for it on the Australia FB page last night, couldn't find it.

I assume it was not meant to be there or incorrect.

Somebody should make a tribute video to Reach, since nobody will ever play it again very soon.

Goodbye Armor Lock
So long Forge maps in playlists
Adios 4-vs-1 matches
nice knowing you AR starts
It's been real, Invasion mode
Cya evade
peace and love, shit movement/jump speed
one love, health packs and ten and a half year shield recharge time

Is anyone able to clean my avatar up a bit? I don't like the left corner/top but Im not sure how to fix it.

Tried looking for it on the Australia FB page last night, couldn't find it.

I assume it was not meant to be there or incorrect.

=(

I figured as much, but too bad.

Somebody should make a tribute video to Reach, since nobody will ever play it again very soon.

Goodbye Armor Lock
Adios 4-vs-1 matches
Cya evade

The IMDB memorable quotes page for Reach is a good enough tribute.

Well considering that they removed FF for SO, it's more like value-replacement rather than value-added.
And even that is pushing the edges of the definition. You didn't need to have a Gold subscription to play Firefight, but yet you need one just to be able to download content that's supposed to be included with the game.

If you look at like like that then yea, you take out one thing and add in another in its place. However, Spartan Ops "weighs" more than Firefight for me and I think a lot of other people.
I sure hope so. Really and truly, I'd love for SpOps to become the thing that I never knew I wanted in a videogame.

----------------------------------------------------------------

pretty sure juices is fucking with you guys. again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Let me make a few things clear:

- I'm not talking about cowering in a corner for 10 minutes.
- I'm not suggesting that it's honorable.

I do not see why it's a dick move for me to try to win a game when my teammates leave. Do I often win? No. But I like the challenge.

Why should the lone man get ridiculed if he's not being a troll about it?

This.

I've had a handful of situation like this and beating the other team when the odds are stacked against you really badly and you're alone... it's an enthralling, thrilling experience.

Looking at the clock and knowing that the enemy team can't kill you enough times in the time remaining to win and you are still stalking them... it's glorious.

GhaleonEB

I also never played FF, but I also don't see myself playing Spartan Ops either. The point is that it's replacing content.

It's replacing it in the sense that Firefight is gone and Spartan Ops is there.

But it's not an even trade by any stretch, in terms of content. For starters, Firefight had 10 maps, including the two from DLC. Spartan Ops has 50 missions across season 1. And under the hood the differences are even larger.

Spartan Ops is more akin to a second Campaign than to Firefight.

Goodbye Armor Lock
Adios 4-vs-1 matches
Cya evade
one love, health packs and ten and a half year shield recharge time

HaloGAF should do this.

I do not see why it's a dick move for me to try to win a game when my teammates leave. Do I often win? No. But I like the challenge.

You're thinking about yourself too much.

Because much like the first three who ruined the fun of the game, the last person has the responsibility to not beat a dead horse and end the "game" so a new more real game may take place and the other team doesn't have to sit around for 10 minutes beating up an individual player.

Its SOCIAL anyways remember.

Basically its for the greater good, just leave.

Alright so I'm finally home and able to address this. :)

First of all Orientation of Comp Sci is currently focusing on binary/octal/hexadec math, logic gates, RGB values in images, basic compression, mainframes, machine language, current comp sci topics, etc.
That's a wide array of crap for an intro course. "Here. Learn literally nothing about everything and give us money."

At this point, I've switched schools. Ewwwwwww....

As for what I did in the AF; anybody who places high enough on the logic test (forgot the name of it) can be a programmer. Then after BASIC you go to a technical school where they teach you everything you need to know about programming, when I went through it was with Visual Basic... nowadays they are using C#. This course is only 10 weeks long. Then you go to your first base and you spend your first 6 months to a year in On-The-Job training (OJT) where they make you study generic comp sci books and test out of it. While doing that you are trained on the actual language you are supposed to be using for your shop. It is differs from shop to shop. Some use Perl, Cobol, C#, Java, Python, etc. Really depends.
Now, try being a civilian and getting a job doing anything you describe without an engineering degree no matter how much training/certs/experience you have. I'm in AFMC (Test) so maybe it's different elsewhere. Not an issue for me, but there are people much more qualified that could take the jobs of some people I work with. But they don't have engineering degrees, so fuck 'em...

If anyone out there is looking to employ me, then soon would make my world... lol. But yeah, this class is just required for my Comp Simulation/Game Development Associates at my community college. I never realized how easy community college was... ;)

It depends. I know the local school here has very intense nursing and education programs. But many courses at the low level are just there to make people that haven't been to school before think they are learning.

What challenge? It's just boring. Oooohhhh, you took down someone's shields, then died. Maybe you'll get 'em next time?

Trolls waste other people's time. By staying when all hope is lost and there's no point in everyone continuing the game, you (not you personally, but in general) are doing just that.

F you all, I want a Forge maps playlist.

Also, if my random pubbie teammates leave, I'm probably not going to leave. I like the challenge of taking on the rest. You're free to quit yourself if you want to get to a "real" match instead.

Tawpgun

What challenge? It's just boring. Oooohhhh, you took down someone's shields, then died. Maybe you'll get 'em next time?

Trolls waste other people's time. By staying when all hope is lost and there's no point in everyone continuing the game, you (not you personally, but in general) are doing just that.

You mean you've never stayed in a game and managed to pull off the win? Shame. It's quite the thrill.

Tawpgun

Well I know the Gamestop at the Prudential Center is doing a midnight release that I'm going to... but I think the Microsoft store is doing a Reach tourney too. Not sure if its on the same night.

You mean you've never stayed in a game and managed to pull off the win? Shame. It's quite the thrill.

1v4? SWAT doesn't count. C'mon now. Objective based or actual team slayer games it literally never happens. If the other team is absolutely terrible, maybe in doubles, but at that point how is it a thrill knowing the other team was so shitty that you beat them 2v1/4v1/whatever? That just means every encounter wasn't a challenge anyway.

Every time this discussion comes up here, the "thrill of winning against all odds" argument shows up and it's shit every time. If I can beat the team by myself, there wasn't going to be a challenge anyway and again, we're just wasting time. I'd rather win a fair match, thank you. And I'd accomplish this by leaving and finding a new one. Or do what I usually do and go in with some semblance of a team.

Then, I just piss off heckfu and he quits and we're back where we started...

bDzES.gif

Well I know the Gamestop at the Prudential Center is doing a midnight release that I'm going to... but I think the Microsoft store is doing a Reach tourney too. Not sure if its on the same night.

When I asked about the midnight release at the MS store in Salem, NH they said "We have no idea what's going to happen, but there will be food and drinks, as well as swag"

If there's a reach tourney, I'm totes going to the Microsoft Store.

Luckily none of this "halo honor stay and fight it out 5vs1" shit is gonna matter in Halo 4, 343 is making the right choice for you and the other team.

That's a wide array of crap for an intro course. "Here. Learn literally nothing about everything and give us money."

At this point, I've switched schools. Ewwwwwww....

Now, try being a civilian and getting a job doing anything you describe without an engineering degree no matter how much training/certs/experience you have. I'm in AFMC (Test) so maybe it's different elsewhere. Not an issue for me, but there are people much more qualified that could take the jobs of some people I work with. But they don't have engineering degrees, so fuck 'em...

It depends. I know the local school here has very intense nursing and education programs. But many courses at the low level are just there to make people that haven't been to school before think they are learning.

Yeah well I didn't have much of a choice... lol. So I gotta deal with it, I'm seriously being under utilized right now.

I was part of AETC. I bet getting a civi job would be tough. Those guys are the real experts... lol. Most of the airmen are just coder monkeys and don't actually become useful til they hit about E-5. Then they code less and lead more... lol. Weird system. I got out cuz I wanted to pursue a dream. I'm fighting to work my way in. lol... the requirements of degrees or existing 3 years of work experience on a AAA title is what is killing me. :(

MrDaravon

I don't think anything is going to top my local Gamestop's Halo 3 midnight launch. It had a super loud and super shitty local rockband, and a bigass Master Chief cake. It was the perfect mix of awful in a hilariously awesome way.

Fracas

#fuckonami
How long are you going to be on? I'll be home in like 1:15...

You mean "A New Teammate Has Joined the Game! Work With Your Teammate to Defeat the Enemy Team! etc! etc! etc!"?

Not sure if I'll still be on then. I'm hungry, and I'm wanting to watch the debate. If not, I'll be on tomorrow for sure

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good games, yall. That was the most I've had with Reach in a while.

TCKaos

1v4? SWAT doesn't count. C'mon now. Objective based or actual team slayer games it literally never happens. If the other team is absolutely terrible, maybe in doubles, but at that point how is it a thrill knowing the other team was so shitty that you beat them 2v1/4v1/whatever? That just means every encounter wasn't a challenge anyway.

Every time this discussion comes up here, the "thrill of winning against all odds" argument shows up and it's shit every time. If I can beat the team by myself, there wasn't going to be a challenge anyway and again, we're just wasting time. I'd rather win a fair match, thank you. And I'd accomplish this by leaving and finding a new one. Or do what I usually do and go in with some semblance of a team.

http://i.imgur.com/bDzES.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I forget who I was with when we did this, but we were in an eight man party of gaffers and got stuck playing 2 Flag on that map that's Paradiso-but-totally-not-Paradiso. Non-hill side. So we were getting spawn trapped.

Everyone quit except for me and one other guy and we tried to hide in the caves for the entire game.

Yeah well I didn't have much of a choice... lol. So I gotta deal with it, I'm seriously being under utilized right now.

I was part of AETC. I bet getting a civi job would be tough. Those guys are the real experts... lol. Most of the airmen are just coder monkeys and don't actually become useful til they hit about E-5. Then they code less and lead more... lol. Weird system. I got out cuz I wanted to pursue a dream. I'm fighting to work my way in. lol... the requirements of degrees or existing 3 years of work experience on a AAA title is what is killing me. :(

My squadron has exactly zero enlisted. Everyone is civi/contractor/officer with a degree (bachelor's engineering all the way up to a few doctorates - run the gammut). Hell, there's only a handful of enlisted in our entire Group, and that's mostly the support squadron (materials disposal, DRMO, deliveries, etc.).

If you're curious, we were recently in an issue of insideGNSS: http://www.insidegnss.com/node/3071

About as close to details as I can give, as I'm sure you understand. Published stuff is safe.

Karl2177

http://i.imgur.com/bDzES.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Before I get into my main point, once you've been quit banned one time the system goes into fubar-mode, at least in my case. I've been kicked from matches(not a betrayal, just simply booted to the MM lobby) and it said "You have quit too many games recently. You have been banned from entering matchmaking." That's why I bring up consistency of the system. Someone had a video a while back where the warning message interrupted the dude playing.

But onto my main point... The ironic thing here is that there is a section of HaloGAF that prides itself on winning unbalanced matches that they could have won by playing with their feet. And this "I'd rather win a fair match, thank you." is based on your preference. Some people couldn't give a fuck less about whether it is fair. You want the fair match no matter what.

If you're searching in Non-Arena Reach, you aren't going to find those balanced matches anymore. You also have to look at how balanced is determined by the game. Let's assign rank 1-10 to players, with 10 being the best. A match of 2, 3, 5, 10 vs. 5, 5, 5, 5 is mathematically balanced. If the first team has players 2, 3, and 5 quit, the game is skewed towards the group of four, but it would take 3 of them to take the 10 out. So if 10 can take out one or two at a time, then 10 will win the game. Note: That's just based on pure numbers, not any form of player data(which could make it higher or lower).

And juices, using the social argument works both ways. Why don't you quit if you aren't going to enjoy the 4v1? It is just social after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom