• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

I think most will cite gameplay as their primary attraction to the franchise. Improving performance will better serve that end than increasing graphical detail, in my opinion.

I didn't talk about graphical details. There is more 30fps allows to do other than just higher graphics fidelity: larger scale and battles, better AI, more AI, etc.

Woorloog

Banned
Next gen is most likely going to consist of 720P @ 60FPS or 1080P @ 30FPS. Being a PC gamer for a good majority of last year really made me truly appreciate high frame rates. I can't understand why someone wouldn't want the reduced input lag and smooth controls 60FPS offers.

For multiplayer, yes, 60 is good. For single, meh. I can beat the AI with better IQ or graphics...

BTW, on consoles i don't think the difference is that useful if you're using a wireless controller, those have some 50ms input lag due to signal encryption, no?

I didn't talk about graphical details. There is more 30fps allows to do other than just higher graphics fidelity: larger scale and battles, better AI, more AI, etc.

Only if CPU is requred for graphics, no?

Omni

Next gen is most likely going to consist of 720P @ 60FPS or 1080P @ 30FPS. Being a PC gamer for a good majority of last year really made me truly appreciate high frame rates. I can't understand why someone wouldn't want the reduced input lag and smooth controls 60FPS offers.

No way we're jumping from sub 720p resolutions to full 1080p. Realistically , I expect games to be released at a 720p standard, with 30fps. I don't see it changing to be honest.

No way we're jumping from sub 720p resolutions to full 1080p. Realistically , I expect games to be released at a 720p standard, with 30fps. I don't see it changing to be honest.

PS3 has some of the best looking games this gen running at 720P 30FPS. If next gen can't top that what is the point?

Reiko

Banned
If people were playing Halo 4 with all of it's graphics intact at 60fps with 720p... Going back to 30fps would be brutal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It really is, I honestly thought it was going to be AWFUL. Really surprised at how good it came out. I can't believe it's over next weekend :(

The good side of that is Halo 4 is then only 3 days away. :p

Chief still looks a bit odd, but not enough to take me out of it. I'm wondering if it's just actually seeing a "real" Chief not in digital form.

All I know is I would love to have one of the Assault Rifle props in my living room.

Woorloog

Banned
Fucking slow motion effects. Don't like them. They're there to make things look "cool", all they do is to make things look silly.

The Chief's footsteps sound stupid. As someone said, he is walking on two Terran buildings landing.
They should've had Downes to voice even the young Chief, his voice is always filttered by the helmet anyway.

Why did they use the old Needler sound? Or the old weapon sounds for that matter? I can understand using Halo 4 Elite models (asset re-use, Halo Reach's Deliver Hope trailer did the same) but why not use the sound effects also? This is not a complaint, but something i find odd. Not displeased though.

The previous episode was a bit better.

BTW, on consoles i don't think the difference is that useful if you're using a wireless controller, those have some 50ms input lag due to signal encryption, no?
I once read that the latency on the 360 wireless controller was 1.78 milliseconds. This is negligible when Halo reads input every 3 frames (100 ms).

Found out that the Gamestop where I preordered are having a midnight launch. Guess that means I get to experience Halo 4 a few hours before you Americans :p

Omni

Just finished patching together the first four episodes of FuD. How many in total are there going to be? 5?

Can't wait to just watch it in one go. LE edition lets you stream it from Waypoint, but fuck that

Found out that the Gamestop where I preordered are having a midnight launch. Guess that means I get to experience Halo 4 a few hours before you Americans :p
I'm still undecided if I should go to a midnight launch for Halo 4 here in Australia. On the plus side, I'd be getting it like a day before the US because of time difference, but I've never been to a midnight launch and not really sure what to expect. They sound sooo (in lack of a better word) nerdy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If this doesn't generate interest in a movie I don't know what will. This shit is amazing.

Thing that gets me as someone who studied Marketing in school is just how risky of a thing Forward Unto Dawn is. If it bombed, and was super cheesy and bad it could have totally killed hype for the game for some people. If you're not willing to go all-out with budget (like MS did) and you get something half-assed you might kill off a good chunk of first day sales, and sales down the line.

Sure the hardcore fans would just laugh at it and move on, but it's a risky maneuver no matter who tries it.

Bsigg12

Fucking slow motion effects. Don't like them. They're there to make things look "cool", all they do is to make things look silly.

The Chief's footsteps sound stupid. As someone said, he is walking on two Terran buildings landing.
They should've had Downes to voice even the young Chief, his voice is always filttered by the helmet anyway.

Why did they use the old Needler sound? Or the old weapon sounds for that matter? I can understand using Halo 4 Elite models (asset re-use, Halo Reach's Deliver Hope trailer did the same) but why not use the sound effects also? This is not a complaint, but something i find odd. Not displeased though.

The previous episode was a bit better.

I believe this is because of when it's set. By using the Halo CE sounds, you can invoke that they haven't upgraded the needler or any of the other weapons yet in fighting the humans since this war had just only started.

I think Downes' voice will show up in the next episode with a Cortana thing. It would be hard to make Downes sound as young as Chief is in FUD.

Overall, the episode was fantastic. Seeing the scaling of the carbine when compared to a normal human was really interesting. Excited to see how they end this.

If you haven't watched, don't click
I hope Kelly shows up in the end

Ningo

Is someone able to make a gif of angry asian dad that goes into kid getting sworded?

"his academic performance is exemplary but his combat scores are disappointing."

broony

Have they stated a date for review embargos for H4? I think I read November 1st but I'm not sure if I am imagining that.

Woorloog

Banned
I believe this is because of when it's set. By using the Halo CE sounds, you can invoke that they haven't upgraded the needler or any of the other weapons yet in fighting the humans since this war had just only started.

As far as we know the Needler hasn't been upgraded throughout the war, it's been the same thing. In gameplay is is a bit different looking and has different amout ammo etc but is always the same weapon, designated the same (T-33).
No referrence book refers it being modified over the years, neither Halo wiki assumes the gameplay differences are in-universe differences (if they did, they would have to assume the human weapon's ranges were like one-tenth of real weapon ranges).

So, i don't buy it really.

They should have just kept the Reach firing sound in Halo 4, the new one doesn't sound "crystalline" (it is more like automatic stapler, not deadly at all)... which is why i wasn't displeased they used the old sounds in FUD.

I'm still undecided if I should go to a midnight launch for Halo 4 here in Australia. On the plus side, I'd be getting it like a day before the US because of time difference, but I've never been to a midnight launch and not really sure what to expect. They sound sooo (in lack of a better word) nerdy.

I think Ram was the one with this advice but wait 15 minutes, go in, pick up your copy and leave.

Bsigg12

As far as we know the Needler hasn't been upgraded throughout the war, it's been the same thing. In gameplay is is a bit different looking and has different amout ammo etc but is always the same weapon, designated the same (T-33).
No referrence book refers it being modified over the years, neither Halo wiki assumes the gameplay differences are in-universe differences (if they did, they would have to assume the human weapon's ranges were like one-tenth of real weapon ranges).

So, i don't buy it really.

They should have just kept the Reach firing sound in Halo 4, the new one doesn't sound "crystalline" (it is more like automatic stapler, not deadly at all)... which is why i wasn't displeased they used the old sounds in FUD.

Fair enough. I was just throwing an idea out there as to maybe what they were thinking. I do like your "automatic stapler" comment about the needler though.

Woorloog

Banned
Fair enough. I was just throwing an idea out there as to maybe what they were thinking. I do like your "automatic stapler" comment about the needler though.

Artistic decision probably in the end. Maybe whoever decided the sound effect for FUD didn't like the Halo 4's Needler sound.

Is someone able to make a gif of
angry asian dad that goes into kid getting sworded?

"his academic performance is exemplary but his combat scores are disappointing."

Could you please spoiler tag that? Some people will read this thread before they are able to watch the new episode.

Not exactly, but compared to how rarely you saw them in 3...
I remember them being quite frequent on Valhalla, but I could be crazy.

If this doesn't generate interest in a movie I don't know what will. This shit is amazing.
Movie studios have a track record of not wanting to keep the protagonist's face hidden. I would absolutely HATE to see Chief's face revealed in any way, shape or form. I like how the recent commercial portrayed his armor-less figure, but you couldn't keep that up for a feature-length film. You'd almost have to do it like FUD, where Chief is not the central figure. Especially since he's not the most talkative character.

Movie studios have a track record of not wanting to keep the protagonist's face hidden. I would absolutely HATE to see Chief's face revealed in any way, shape or form. I like how the recent commercial portrayed his armor-less figure, but you couldn't keep that up for a feature-length film. You'd almost have to do it like FUD, where Chief is not the central figure. Especially since he's not the most talkative character.
But you think it's that what's holding it up?
Was his face not going to be shown in the Garland/Blomkamp beauty?

Isn't it more the money & level of control MS want?

Wow, just saw that the first episode of FUD already has nearly 5,5 million views on Machinima Prime's channel alone! I never thought it would be this popular.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Thing that gets me as someone who studied Marketing in school is just how risky of a thing Forward Unto Dawn is. If it bombed, and was super cheesy and bad it could have totally killed hype for the game for some people. If you're not willing to go all-out with budget (like MS did) and you get something half-assed you might kill off a good chunk of first day sales, and sales down the line.

Sure the hardcore fans would just laugh at it and move on, but it's a risky maneuver no matter who tries it.

Man, if cheesy corny shit really effected FPS sales, COD would be a flop.

Are there really people who can't detach a live-action commercial with the actual game?

heckfu

Banned
You post in an Internet gaming forum. I'm sure you would outnerd at least half of them.

I would absolutely HATE to see Chief's face revealed in any way, shape or form.
The Fall of Reach comics, and the recent Scanned commercial are very real steps that 343 Industries and, by extension, Microsoft has taken to make the Master Chief a more human character. The days of the helmet under the helmet are gone.

willow ve

Wow, just saw that the first episode of FUD already has nearly 5,5 million views on Machinima Prime's channel alone! I never thought it would be this popular.

It's a really solid mini-series with broad appeal. Futuristic dystopian vision; check. Attractive character actors/actresses; check. Solid special effects (especially for a web mini series); check. Intriguing story with a cloak of mystery; check. Young people rising up; check. Best janitor part (and space mop) in film since Janitor in Scrubs; check.

What more could you possibly want?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Fall of Reach comics, and the recent Scanned commercial are very real steps that 343 Industries and, by extension, Microsoft has taken to make the Master Chief a more human character. The days of the helmet under the helmet are gone.

Frankie says Relax.

Ramirez

This is good advice, will follow. Ram's an alright guy with decent taste in games, apparently. PSO4life.

cm-28113-0508a3b69b931e.gif

Annnnnnnnnnnnd, people lamenting the loss of bubble shields? wat

I haven't watched FUD since the 1st episode, trying to hold out & just watch them all in one go, I think I can do it!

Karl2177

One thing that FuD has done better than any game in the series is making Covenant scary. ODST made Hunters scary, but this makes even Jackals scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom