• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Damn, my local [store redacted because I don't want this store to be marked for breaking street dates] hasn't received shipment yet.

However, I was told to call back next week :D

Woorloog

Banned
That needle would have penetrated his armor then?

The Mark IV was nearly immune to normal-caliber bullets. Probably immune to needles too. What do you think? Plasma goes through it though. Remember what happend to Samuel? Though that was a charged blast...

EDIT.. oh. Right. Kat.
Well. Don't care.

EDIT2 Mark V is not immune to bullets (Fall of Reach notes something like this, they had to sacrifice something for the shields and plasma resistance), it is better protected against plasma though. Guess needles can penetrate it but not Mark IV. Shields mitgate that though.

EDIT and as my friend noted, if scifi has powerful shields that don't require large generators (ie a lot more protection than, say, 3cm of composite armor), armor is usually useless as there are limits how thick armor a human can carry.

Fotos

Anyone know any stores around the San Francisco Bay Area that would be willing to I don't know... Sell me an early copy :)

bGanci

Banned
The Mark IV was nearly immune to normal-caliber bullets. Probably immune to needles too. What do you think? Plasma goes through it though. Remember what happend to Samuel? Though that was a charged blast...

EDIT.. oh. Right. Kat.
Well. Don't care.

EDIT2 Mark V is not immune to bullets (Fall of Reach notes something like this, they had to sacrifice something for the shields and plasma resistance), it is better protected against plasma though. Guess needles can penetrate it but not Mark IV. Shields mitgate that though.
I feel that the needles would have done some damage. Yea it was a overcharge shot that penetrated Sam.
But I don't have any cannon to back it up.

Woorloog

Banned
I feel that the needles would have done some damage. Yea it was a overcharge shot that killed Sam.

I always assumed the shot that killed Kat was some sort Neeedle Rifle sniper variant, would explain why it killed her.
That is, assuming Spartan helmets are not so weak as to be easily penetrated by one shot... One shot headshots as a gameplay mechanic i can understand.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I always assumed the shot that killed Kat was some sort Neeedle Rifle sniper variant, would explain why it killed her.
That is, assuming Spartan helmets are not so weak as to be easily penetrated by one shot... One shot headshots as a gameplay mechanic i can understand.
I just assumed it was convenient (i.e. lazy) fiction breaking.

MrBig

Just put this thing together this afternoon, mainly as a procrastination project. It's a web object browser for Halo 4 Forge items. It has a basic quick-search, and you can look through all of the objects avaliable in Halo 4 forge. I plan on adding costs, max counts, etc when I get the time.

Take a look :)

http://derflatulator.com/halo4-forge/

Feedback will be listened to.

Jhfx.png

Needs pictures of each object when you click on them and to be in the OP of the forge OT :)

Zune HD > Everything

Yes.

Woorloog

Banned
I just assumed it was convenient (i.e. lazy) fiction breaking.

Quite probable.
Of course the Air Assault helmet could be lighter and lesser armored compared to other variants (being meant for paratroopers etc)... or that the Mjolnir helmets have weaker armor on top in general...
Ah, why do i bother trying to find a good reason when occam's razor says it is lazyness.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Quite probable.
Of course the Air Assault helmet could be lighter and lesser armored compared to other variants (being meant for paratroopers etc)... or that the Mjolnir helmets have weaker armor on top in general...
Ah, why do i bother trying to find a good reason when occam's razor says it is lazyness.

Actually Occam's Razor says it was a lucky shot.

Noricart

kinda sucks that some objects are locked to the map. The UNSC buildings on Impact seemed like they could have worked in Ravine. Also there is a disappointing lack of space on the forge maps. Hopefully they are bigger than they look. Sandbox remake plz.
Hmm. You mean, it came from that angle at that velocity to penetrate the helmet right away?
Well then. Let's get all Indoctrination theory up in here! I thought it was because shields weren't adjusted after the glassing. Of course the explanation isn't too direct.

Woorloog

Banned

Hmm. You mean, it came from that angle at that velocity to penetrate the helmet right away?

EDIT it just always bothers me when stuff happens without a good explanation. Lucky shots are not good explanations, IMO. I also like to know the designers/developers/writers etc motives behind things.

EDIT, OT but, Stinkles, a look at your profile shows you're a Dune fan, i wonder if Halos have Dune referrences. I've never found any, i just imagined there might be some sneaked in.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They should've used the Beam Rifle, but it wasn't in Reach.
That would have been so much better! I would have been pissed that the Beam Rifle wasn't in the game yet conveniently appeared just for that one assassination, but at least it would have made sense within the series logic.

Quite probable.
It's the energy shield that protects Spartans from head shots, not specific helmets. And we know that a single needle rifle round doesn't penetrate full shields. Breaking the game's rules/logic like that really bothers me.
It's why I hate the Pokemon cartoon. >:-(

Woorloog

Banned
It's the energy shield that protects Spartans from head shots, not specific helmets. And we know that a single needle rifle round doesn't penetrate full shields. Breaking the game's rules/logic like that really bothers me.
It's why I hate the Pokemon cartoon. >:-(

If gameplay were canon, UNSC's weapons would have one-tenth of real weapon's range or so...

Well then. Let's get all Indoctrination theory up in here! I thought it was because shields weren't adjusted after the glassing. Of course the explanation isn't too direct.

Her shield were down. That is obvious, there wasn't a shield flare when she died.

FyreWulff

Kat's shields were EMP'd by the nuke. She was also blinded by it, since you see her miss the elevator button the first time she tries to hit it.

HOWEVER

They should have made it a beam rifle that killed her.

Kat's shields were EMP'd by the nuke. She was also blinded by it, since you see her miss the elevator button the first time she tries to hit it.

HOWEVER

They should have made it a beam rifle that killed her.
Or she could have been putting on the helmet as the shot was fired.

zlatko

Banned
They should make a spinoff game starting Kat. Wait, they should also do a five-part mini series about her! Like how she lost her arm, how she got into the program, how she is humanity's last chance etc.

I would buy the shit out of that game.

She was a ODST before a Spartan.

ODST 2 confirmed!

FUD:
Everyone on the planet was wiped out because they only had ARs to defend themselves with :-/
Great episode though. I think Ep 3 is my favorite so far. I'm curious to see how they match the action, then wrap up the story and set into motion future events all in the last 20 minutes or so. It seems like a lot to do in one final installment (assuming there's only 5 eps).

Just put this thing together this afternoon, mainly as a procrastination project. It's a web object browser for Halo 4 Forge items. It has a basic quick-search, and you can look through all of the objects avaliable in Halo 4 forge. I plan on adding costs, max counts, etc when I get the time.

Take a look :)

http://derflatulator.com/halo4-forge/

Feedback will be listened to.

Jhfx.png

Looking good Flat... better have some damn good pictures in there when H4 is released. :p

Needs pictures of each object when you click on them and to be in the OP of the forge OT :)

Yes.

Consider it done. ;)

Speaking of the Forge |OT| any suggestions for the title? And also anyone want to help with the banner for it? I can probably whip something together up, but if there is someone with real shopping skills that would be great. :)

They should make a spinoff game starting Kat. Wait, they should also do a five-part mini series about her! Like how she lost her arm, how she got into the program, how she is humanity's last chance etc.

They should just pretend Reach the video game never happened.

What is Kat? Some kind of Spartan cat? Sounds stupid.

zethren

Banned
Bought the soundtrack off of iTunes and listened to it on the drive to my parents' house.

It's different, but very good. I like it a lot. Can't wait to hear these tracks in context with the game!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? Really? That makes way more sense.

FyreWulff

Or she could have been putting on the helmet as the shot was fired.

I think that would have required a certain level of visible gore that Halo really hasn't gone to yet. I'm still surprised they showed the exit on the front of her helmet, because that's about as gory as Halo has gotten for a game series centered around war and guns.

HaloReach_-_KatFallen01.png

HaloReach_-_KatDeath.png

Tawpgun

I'm wondering how strict 343 will be in making Spops missions ONLY dealing with Spartan IV's after Halo 4.

Because I would buy the shit out of "Battles from the Halo Universe" SpOps Mission Pack.

Battles from the books, spinoffs, etc.

abadguy

Banned

I would love another game with Noble team as a whole taking place during one of their earlier missions.

FUD discussion:
I think the reason why Lasky's squad are only survivors is that the only inhabited place on the colony is the school. Why would you have cities with potential insurrectionists on a colony where the future of the UNSC is created? I would keep the location of that planet top secret and only have as much people on there as needed. No civilians. If you consider it in that context, The Covenant only had to murder the staff, cadets and ODST's in the school. Maybe 20 minutes is a bit fast but only the ODST's were armed.

I would buy Reach again, despite all of its problems, if Kat was removed from the game.

lol - I think Frank meant that your speculation (the final sentence) was incorrect. ;)
Well, I mean they've already released content that shows him out of armor. And Frankie himself stated they were trying to depict his humanity. The last sentence was a reference to this. Sorry if I worded things too dramatically.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering how strict 343 will be in making Spops missions ONLY dealing with Spartan IV's after Halo 4.

Because I would buy the shit out of "Battles from the Halo Universe" SpOps Mission Pack.

Battles from the books, spinoffs, etc.
Hell yes. They could just pretend it's a reenactment for training the Spartan IVs, I don't care. Although that would take the drama and suspense out of it, I guess.

Maybe one of the Spartan IVs can have a "Battle of Harvest" dream sequence or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom