• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she was blind how did she know where the elevator was? If there was an emp why did their helmet radios work?

The truth is that near the end of development Bungie realized how bad Kat was and needed to find a way to kill her off asap.

I would be brought to tears if Beamish saves the Chief by killing a Covey last second.

Chief" Who the hell are you!? What are you doing out here??!"

Beamish " Me? I'm just the cleaning crew taking out this alien trash."

*walks off into night forest singing the Halo theme,a nd disappears into fog*

*roll credits*
This should be the 'Legendary All Skulls On' ending.
You then unlock a space mop to put on your back similar to the katana.

Akai__

Today in HaloGAF: Revalations!

Had no idea that Kat was blind either. :lol

FuD was incredible, absolutely loved it. Can't wait for the next episode, it's gonna be awesome and maybe I'll get Halo 4 on this day, too.

Barlow, did Kat run off your cat or something

I haven't seen this much intense hatred for a fictional character since TheOddOne showed me his fanfic.

Overdoziz

Banned
She wasn't blind, she was startled by the glassing. She even mentions it's her first time experiencing one. Someone who was blinded a moment ago doesn't go running at full speed across a room.

I would be brought to tears if Beamish saves the Chief by killing a Covey last second.

Chief" Who the hell are you!? What are you doing out here??!"

Beamish " Me? I'm just the cleaning crew taking out this alien trash."

*walks off into night forest singing the Halo theme,a nd disappears into fog*

*roll credits*

I heard he had a new job in Reach.

Yup, watch how she misses the elevator switch, and just look at her eyes.

I thought she was shocked about the glassing beams.

The cutscene in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nl6VJyvI398#t=122s

She's looking right towards the nuke when it goes off, too. 2:26, she misses the button.

Didnt notice she missed the elevator switch

So good. You should make a few more of the other cool scenes.

FUD speculation/spoilers

We have no idea what the Covenant want out of the planet though. Considering how crazy early it is into the war, the Covenant may still be playing a conquest game and could be looking for more planets to inhabit rather than just trying to exterminate humanity. If they glassed the whole planet from the beginning (which got retconned by the Reach Data Pads anyway - it would take too many resources to glass an entire planet, so they usually just stick to incinerating the areas they have to) that'd be resources they're wasting. Not to mention, given how early in the war is, the general Covenant software may still be picking up humans as "Reclamation" and not "Reclaimers." Or there's the possibility of Forerunner artifacts near Corbulo.

I suppose the final part would make the most sense,
otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't at least bombard the academy from orbit. It was a small target, and if they only wanted them dead that seems like the most logical way to do it. It just seems the Covenant wanted something left in tact for whatever reason, so I hope the FUD has an explanation for it. Then again, apparently everyone on the planet died in like 15 minutes, so it may have been one of those small details that was over looked.
It kinda bugs me, but I still really am enjoying the series.

I think that would have required a certain level of visible gore that Halo really hasn't gone to yet. I'm still surprised they showed the exit on the front of her helmet, because that's about as gory as Halo has gotten for a game series centered around war and guns.

HaloReach_-_KatFallen01.png

HaloReach_-_KatDeath.png

That is pretty violent looking.. poor Kat.

I still think that scene could have been handled a little better. The music never meshed for me, and the EMP dialogue is pretty confusing. Seriously, she was blinded? Whaa.

FUD discussion:
I think the reason why Lasky's squad are only survivors is that the only inhabited place on the colony is the school. Why would you have cities with potential insurrectionists on a colony where the future of the UNSC is created? I would keep the location of that planet top secret and only have as much people on there as needed. No civilians. If you consider it in that context, The Covenant only had to murder the staff, cadets and ODST's in the school. Maybe 20 minutes is a bit fast but only the ODST's were armed.

Eh, but then why even say
you are the last survivors...on the planet.
I think there must have been an implied time lapse that was cut, otherwise it just doesn't make sense..
them being the last survivors doesn't make sense either, as I am sure others managed..
I wish that line of dialogue was less definitive.

Trey

She wasn't blind, she was startled by the glassing. She even mentions it's her first time experiencing one. Someone who was blinded a moment ago doesn't go running at full speed across a room.

This makes more sense.

Her first time, eh? I thought all S3's were orphans that came from glassed planets.

Eh, but then why even say
you are the last survivors...on the planet.
I think there must have been an implied time lapse that was cut, otherwise it just doesn't make sense..
them being the last survivors doesn't make sense either, as I am sure others managed..
I wish that line of dialogue was less definitive.

That's true. Still, I don't think the planet would be densely populated. We know the UNSC has dedicated entire planets to train soldiers (Like Onyx). Maybe we'll hear more about it in the next episode

Bsigg12

She was also hitting buttons on her comm device pretty well.

You can't explain that.

Maybe it was like a temporary thing like when something really bright turns on in a dark room and you can't see right for a little while because I think if she would have been completely blinded, she probably wouldn't have been able to get her helmet right away or use the comm device.

Bsigg12

This was definitely THE BEST scene in FuD Episode 4. Gif'd it and linked it to be repsectful and not spoil anyone.

http://i.minus.com/ibwX0Jz8L4wNon.gif

I was so pumped to see them throw in a
supercombine.
It made it all the more awesome.

How do you know that a nuke is going of there? I always thought it was a Covenant cruiser that started glassing the city near them.

Yea, it was definitely a cruiser glassing, not a nuke. The rads increase at an airborne specific location, and Kat then says it's her first glassing.

darthbob

Woorloog

Banned
As far as city glassing goes, i think the Carrier attacking New Mombasa was so much better than the Battlecruisers just firing once on stationary position in New Alexandria. It was moving and the way the Carrier appeared, from the clouds... The Cruisers just lamely spawned behind you, flew over, stopped, turned around very fast and boom. Meh. Didn't even see what they glassed (well, the beam hit behind the buildings in ODST as well but at least it looked like it was attacking really.
And that Cruiser while over you trick was used in Halo 3 already, and since that was in daylight it looked far better.

Yep! Lots of wargames use d6, which is mostly all I play. Not much of an RPG guy, even though I do art for them.

I'm more of a PnP player/GM so d6s are not very useful. d20 just has so many uses.

Ah, and to what RPGs you do art?

willow ve

Kat is definitely not blind. You could maybe make the argument that her vision was stunned for a moment (the same as when you look at a really bright light and experience the image for a few seconds/minutes afterward).

No person who is suddenly blinded knows exactly where their helmet is laying on the ground, is able to pick it up, and then sprint directly into a small elevator doorway. Just think how people react when the lights go off in a bright room. They're not even blind, but they freeze, possibly drop to the ground, and certainly can't take off at a full sprint.

This, this, this. Jeez, people, haven't you ever been blinded by a camera flash. If Kat was blinded at all, it lasted for all of five seconds. By the time she got off the elevator, she could see just fine.

FyreWulff

Kat is definitely not blind. You could maybe make the argument that her vision was stunned for a moment (the same as when you look at a really bright light and experience the image for a few seconds/minutes afterward).

No person who is suddenly blinded knows exactly where their helmet is laying on the ground, is able to pick it up, and then sprint directly into a small elevator doorway. Just think how people react when the lights go off in a bright room. They're not even blind, but they freeze, possibly drop to the ground, and certainly can't take off at a full sprint.

She's not completely blind, nor permanently. They also explicitly mention that she's been blinded in the commentary. It's canon. Flashbangs don't permanently blind someone either.

Fuchsdh

That's true. Still, I don't think the planet would be densely populated. We know the UNSC has dedicated entire planets to train soldiers (Like Onyx). Maybe we'll hear more about it in the next episode
I highly doubt the planet is that populated. Corbulo has to be on an outer colony world, for starters. It's surprising they've got a space elevator still, though.

I highly doubt the planet is that populated. Corbulo has to be on an outer colony world, for starters. It's surprising they've got a space elevator still, though.

Harvest has one, with a population of 3 million at the most. I think that orbital elevators are standard wherever A: the UNSC has a significant military presence or B: the planet is economically noteworthy.

Fuchsdh

Harvest has one, with a population of 3 million at the most. I think that orbital elevators are standard wherever A: the UNSC has a significant military presence or B: the planet is economically noteworthy.
I guess the former. It's just weird it would be out in the boonies as opposed to Earth or Reach, not to mention a bit more exposed to the insurrectionists.

Woorloog

Banned
Warmachine's new RPG, Warhammer 40k RPG, Pathfinder, few other smaller franchises.

Wargame art for Dream Pod 9, Heavy Gear.

Pathfinder? It is an odd world (i wouldn't call it small, so odd it is), here i was just thinking about getting Pathfinder (mostly as a referrence book for my own homebrew systems, but might also actually play a Pathfinder game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom