• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZalinKrow

Was deleting some old Theater saved films to clear up some memory earlier. It's really really weird watching matches from November 6th 2010 :p Multi team with teams of 2, evade in so many playlists, even just seeing the different emblems and armour I had back then. So strange. Adds to the hype somehow though haha

Was deleting some old Theater saved films to clear up some memory earlier. It's really really weird watching matches from November 6th 2010 :p Multi team with teams of 2, evade in so many playlists, even just seeing the different emblems and armour I had back then. So strange. Adds to the hype somehow though haha

Did you just reminisce over halo reach!?? For shame.

Korosenai

Just found out the gamestop on the Air Force base near me is doing a post launch Halo 4 tournament.

They did a launch day tourney when reach came out but we had to play Halo 3. I got third place and won a wired controller.

Hopefully they have some better prizes this time (And don't use 50" tvs).

havent changed my emblem since beginning of halo 3. i was watching some halo 3 clips ... if only 3 had better netcode

Arnie

Just tried to watch the Infinity multiplayer video again but I turned it off when they said 'situational record' instead of killcam, and tried to pass it off as something exciting. I'm trying to think of one change to Halo 4 multiplayer that's actually an exciting innovation, can anyone suggest one? I'm being serious.

Just tried to watch the Infinity multiplayer video again but I turned it off when they said 'situational record' instead of killcam, and tried to pass it off as something exciting. I'm trying to think of one change to Halo 4 multiplayer that's actually an exciting innovation, can anyone suggest one? I'm being serious.

Psst, they don't call them sitrecs to make them sound exciting.

Did you opt-in to receive them?

Yup, but see, here's the thing. My WLID was not a real email for years by accident. I had spelled Gmail as "Gmaill". I changed this about a month ago to a proper email address, and then also said I wanted my emails to go to another address, but neither one of them have been sent emails other than the original confirmation email. Maybe its still turning over from my weird WLID?

BigShow36

It's innovating by blatantly ripping off Call of Duty and putting "Spartan" in front of everything and pretending they've never heard of Call of Duty.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Spartan ops is a pretty new idea. (No trolls it's not the same as specops).

Also, the ordinance drops are a nice new spin on kill streaks (again I don't see them as care packages since the "reward" is different.

http://i.picpar.com/5ac665fecf422da22e50f31014d635bb1ec5572d.gif[IMG]
You should be banned. From everything. PERMA.[/QUOTE]

You know you love it. CQC camo player... screw sniper rifles. ;)

[quote="YourExWife, post: 43483394"]My squadron has exactly zero enlisted. Everyone is civi/contractor/officer with a degree (bachelor's engineering all the way up to a few doctorates - run the gammut). Hell, there's only a handful of enlisted in our entire Group, and that's mostly the support squadron (materials disposal, DRMO, deliveries, etc.).

If you're curious, we were recently in an issue of insideGNSS: [URL="http://www.insidegnss.com/node/3071"]http://www.insidegnss.com/node/3071[/URL]

About as close to details as I can give, as I'm sure you understand. Published stuff is safe.[/QUOTE]

I gotcha and I know the type of place. ;) Yay TS clearance stuff... lol. I worked on an electronic version of training records acronymed TBA... lol. Apparently it was never really announced. ;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
5 pages later after a workout and getting home from work I see that we are still on repeat. Reach streams, Big show bitching about this and that, CoD, and Sword Base.

Why is Halo 4 not out yet.

Yup, but see, here's the thing. My WLID was not a real email for years by accident. I had spelled Gmail as "Gmaill". I changed this about a month ago to a proper email address, and then also said I wanted my emails to go to another address, but neither one of them have been sent emails other than the original confirmation email. Maybe its still turning over from my weird WLID?

Weird. Have you gone to billing.microsoft.com to verify the email there?

Overdoziz

Banned
Also, the ordinance drops are a nice new spin on kill streaks (again I don't see them as care packages since the "reward" is different.
MoH: Warfighter did it.

Also, nothing indicates that Spartan Ops does anything new aside from the way it's being delivered to the consumer. It's kinda cool but in the end it seems to be more bite-sized campaign missions which I can't even play through straight away.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
5 pages later after a workout and getting home from work I see that we are still on repeat. Reach streams, Big show bitching about this and that, CoD, and Sword Base.

If Halo 4 was already out BigShow could pretend he hadn't played it. We'd have nothing to talk about.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

I literally quoted this and started listing differences off to say that i don't agree, and now i've come to the conclusion that i actually do completely agree.

Episode prefacing 5 missions compared to a bunch of random missions with rehashed campaign environments with little to no backstory... lololol!

neoism

Gotta say 343s lack of support for Reach is pretty sad... 5 months and no update at all... not counting the last one that just renamed the playlists.... Shame I really wanted an update before H4....smh 343.

JackHerer

Gotta say 343s lack of support for Reach is pretty sad... 5 months and no update at all... not counting the last one that just renamed the playlists.... Shame I really wanted an update before H4....smh 343.

Don't worry. They're gonna update it...... a few months after H4 releases and nobody plays it anymore.

Tawpgun

You know you love it. CQC camo player... screw sniper rifles. ;)

I gotcha and I know the type of place. ;) Yay TS clearance stuff... lol. I worked on an electronic version of training records acronymed TBA... lol. Apparently it was never really announced. ;)

Camo is the one ability I didn't see at all (or maybe didn't notice...) at NYCC. I have no idea how its changed from Reach. Anyone?

Arnie

Psst, they don't call them sitrecs to make them sound exciting.
It's not that I don't think killcams have a place in multiplayer, I think they're a great help for certain game modes (and it looks like 343 are using them in a playlist dependant manner), I just don't think they deserve to be highlighted in a sizzle reel expose of Halo 4 multiplayer, they're just a standard trope of the industry.

This is Halo 4, I want to see truly new things that excite me with new possibilities, none of that exists in Halo 4 multiplayer, to my knowledge. I genuinely know what to expect when I get my hands on the game in 15 days, or whatever it is now.
It's innovating by blatantly ripping off Call of Duty and putting "Spartan" in front of everything and pretending they've never heard of Call of Duty.
I don't think it's quite that cynical, but I agree with the general gist.

It really is creatively bankrupt design, and I don't enjoy saying that, I'm not out to slate 343 or anything, I'd love to be excited beyond belief for the multiplayer right now but I'm not. It's killstreaks, unlocks, perks, and killcams. That's Infinity multiplayer, all wrapped together with some CG canonical fuzz (which looks nice, despite being completely shallow).
I agree, I think Spartan Ops has lots of potential, but I'm more talking about competitive multiplayer. I love Spartan Ops for the same reason The Walking Dead is my GOTY so far; my gaming habits have shifted to the point where I like to dip in at infrequent intervals for shortened blasts of fun. I think Spartan Ops will serve this.

I can't muster any excitement from the ordinance system whatsoever. It's killstreaks in Halo, it's rewarding players on scoring, not on map control, and that to me is dreadful in a Halo context.

Even if I get over how lazy the whole idea is, I can't see it adapting well to how Halo plays. Perhaps that'll change when I'm playing but I'll never see it as a masterstroke in design regardless, it's just porting kill streaks into the Halo sandbox.

BigShow36

At least I bitch about stuff that actually matters. Everyone else in here bitches about not finding Mountain Dew, not know whether or not spending $20 will get the stupid armor set or if they should spring for an extra skin for their AR.

That would take some impressive mental gymnastics to actually believe that.

Tawpgun

At least I bitch about stuff that actually matters. Everyone else in here bitches about not finding Mountain Dew, not know whether or not spending $20 will get the stupid armor set or if they should spring for an extra skin for their AR.

The only vibe I get to you is you bitch that every Halo game isn't Halo: CE 2

neoism

I honestly can't imagine anyone hating Halo 4 more than Reach. I'm sure there will be some, but I can't wrap my mind around that thought.

lol I dont understand that... I know 4 resembles halo 3 more sort of but it adds a million more things than Reach did. Halo 4 is less than a halo game than Reach in my eyes. I haven't played it but the audio is more alien in halo regards than Reach ever was. I really liked 3 but I think its a step back to try to copy it so much. It looks like competitively this game is better though. But Reach was left by Bungie and 343 just let it sit for its last bit of life, will they do the same for 4 in 2 years when 5 is around the corner...not sure. I'm just glad for the campaign and for Chief...

u4iX

That would take some impressive mental gymnastics to actually believe that.

Implying the things that matter to you are more important than what matters to them.

"There are various eyes. Even the Sphinx has eyes: and as a result there are various truths, and as a result there is no truth." ~Nietzsche

BigShow36

Hey guys, Big Show has determined that what matters to him is the only thing that matters. We've been wrong all this time. Luckily Big Show here was kind enough to show us the error of our ways.

I consider the actual gameplay of a video game more important than playing dress up, but to each his own. I'm sorry if I offended any aspiring fashion designers, I meant no ill-will.

Implying the things that matter to you are more important than what matters to them.

I don't go onto art forums and demand that people consider the act of buying a paintbrush more important than the actual art itself. I would think that everyone who plays video games should agree that the actual gameplay is the most important aspect, otherwise why are you playing?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I'll give you that, kind of. On the kill cam issue, what exactly is your problem with it? The name? You'd rather they call it CoD Kill Cam? I mean, what did you expect 343i to do? They decided they liked the concept of a kill cam that numerous games now have, and decided to make it fit with Halo with the look and name. Wouldn't any dev do that?

I can understand wanting it gone, but bitching about them changing it to fit in with the universe of the game it is in? That's a bit much.

u4iX

I consider the actual gameplay of a video game more important than playing dress up, but to each his own. I'm sorry if I offended any aspiring fashion designers, I meant no ill-will.

You were complaining about a mode they've added to the game, not a gameplay mechanic.

I'll give you that, kind of. On the kill cam issue, what exactly is your problem with it? The name? You'd rather they call it CoD Kill Cam? I mean, what did you expect 343i to do? They decided they liked the concept of a kill cam that numerous games now have, and decided to make it fit with Halo with the look and name. Wouldn't any dev do that?

I can understand wanting it gone, but bitching about them changing it to fit in with the universe of the game it is in? That's a bit much.

I've made this point before but I prefer kill cams to death screen because akin to dying in Halo 1 or 2, a kill cam provides less information about your enemy team's position than a fully controllable death screen.

BigShow36

Again, I never said anything about the killcam. He asked what new/revolutionary features he should be excited about and I made a facetious comment about them borrowing from Call of Duty. I would certainly be willing to discuss killcams if you'd like though

You were complaining about a mode they've added to the game, not a gameplay mechanic.

Where? I never complained about any mode. I was pointing out the flaw of calling it "value-added" when it replaced a different mode. I don't care about Firefight or Spartan Ops; I have no issue with them.

Aggrotek

n51sk.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've made this point before but I prefer kill cams to death screen because akin to dying in Halo 1 or 2, a kill cam provides less information about your enemy team's position than a fully controllable death screen.
EDIT: Wrong person. I agree U4.

I don't go onto art forums and pretend that people consider the act of buying a paintbrush more important than the actual art itself. I would think that everyone who plays video games should agree that the actual gameplay is the most important aspect, otherwise why are you playing?

No fucking shit, Sherlock. We've already established that the gameplay (or the vast majority of it) is going to be ejoyable. So why aren't we allowed to discuss the other issues surrounding the release of the game?

There's only so much gameplay to discuss when 90% of us have yet to play the game besides that of what we can gather from videos and impressions.

You want the Halo 4 Gameplay OT.

BigShow36

No fucking shit, Sherlock. We've already established that the gameplay (or the vast majority of it) is going to be ejoyable. So why aren't we allowed to discuss the other issues surrounding the release of the game?

There's only so much gameplay to discuss when 90% of us have yet to play the game besides that of what we can gather from videos and impressions.

You want the Halo 4 Gameplay OT.

So you would agree that the gameplay is the most important aspect? That's what I "bitch" about; the gameplay. Hence why I said I bitch about things that actually matter. This is the entire premise of your original disagreement, which you are now agreeing with me on.

u4iX

Where? I never complained about any mode. I was pointing out the flaw of calling it "value-added" when it replaced a different mode. I don't care about Firefight or Spartan Ops; I have no issue with them.

I guess you could make the argument of "drawing parallels," but you're pretty much complaining that the mode isn't innovative enough or whatever.

So you would agree that the gameplay is the most important aspect? That's what I "bitch" about; the gameplay. Hence why I said I bitch about things that actually matter. This is the entire premise of your original disagreement, which you are now agreeing with me on.

Now, I do agree with gameplay being most important, and I actually agree with a lot of your opinions on gameplay mechanics, but their presentation in your posts becomes monotonously agonizing and gloom ridden at times. Mix that in with a touch of superiority and I can understand why people might become frustrated with your arguments and points.

Sanjuro

Things are worse than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom