• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

new1v1.jpg

I remember that happened in Halo 2 about every other day for me.

orznge

Banned
Did it ever occur to some of you that making every change to perfectly address your concerns (which are a minority even within the competitive community) might be a little much for Halo 4? We are moving from forge world to 3 distinct forge maps with their own different palletes, a move designed to address concerns that reach forge maps were too gray. Maybe this isn't the perfect solution for some of you but I sincerely believe they are trying to make the best forge possible with the time and resources available. Not to mention 343 had to ship forge out to Certain Affinity to work on it, do you really think they had the time to make all these other changes you have been clamoring for?

Did it ever occur to some of you that making every change to perfectly address your concerns (which are a minority even within the competitive community) might be a little much for Halo 4? We are moving from forge world to 3 distinct forge maps with their own different palletes, a move designed to address concerns that reach forge maps were too gray. Maybe this isn't the perfect solution for some of you but I sincerely believe they are trying to make the best forge possible with the time and resources available. Not to mention 343 had to ship forge out to Certain Affinity to work on it, do you really think they had the time to make all these other changes you have been clamoring for?

There's nothing wrong with talking about how improvements could possibly be made in the future. At the very least I know that I'm loving what h4 has to offer. :) Even if most people aren't. Lol

orznge

Banned
There's nothing wrong with talking about how improvements could possibly be made in the future. At the very least I know that I'm loving what h4 has to offer. :) Even if most people aren't. Lol

that post is a paste from me googling "halo reach change forge color object hack" and clicking some forum thread

orznge

Banned
Interesting... Tell me more.

are you mocking me or something I can't tell I just thought it was funny that people have explanations for why it's cool for the map editor of one of the highest-budgeted FPS' games ever produced to not include a simple RGB slider that people have requested constantly spanning half of a decade so their maps aren't aesthetic nightmares

nillapuddin

i still dont understand why people want a color wheel, we must be thinking of concepts that are galaxies apart because I would never want that

can one of you pro-color wheelers' explain or preferably illustrate what you are looking for

orznge

Banned
i still dont understand why people want a color wheel, we must be thinking of concepts that are galaxies apart because I would never want that

can one of you pro-color wheelers' explain or preferably illustrate what you are looking for

well for starters *flips through a slideshow of every FPS map that has ever existed*

Is drunk Halo best Halo? yup. Smashing Halo 1, 2 and 3 in coop with my buddy is awesome. These terminals are great too. God I absolutely love being a Halo nerd!!!!

are you mocking me or something I can't tell I just thought it was funny that people have explanations for why it's cool for the map editor of one of the highest-budgeted FPS' games ever produced to not include a simple RGB slider that people have requested constantly spanning half of a decade so their maps aren't aesthetic nightmares

Not sure if serious...

Simple RGB slider you say. Please explain the technical details of this slider? Would you like to be able to just tint the whole object or just particular sections of each object? And it would be great to know if you have any knowledge of the technical side of game development.

feel

I personally don't give a damn about it all and if it was up to me the whole Forge thing would be reverted to the small object editor it was during Halo 3 launch so I wouldn't have to see another blocky turd in matchmaking again, but c'mon, it's not hard to see why forgers would want color flexibility.

Forge would really benefit from something like this per individual piece

Pallet: UNSC, Civilian, Covenant, Forerunner ruin, Forerunner

Color (Primary): Silver, white, grey, green, yellow, black, etc

Color (secondary/highlight): Silver, white, grey, green, yellow, black, etc

Effect (texture on pieces): None, Rust, erosion, moss, dirt, etc

--

Of course some pieces/pallets/effects may be limited depending on what you choose, but you get the idea.

orznge

Banned
And it would be great to know if you have any knowledge of the technical side of game development.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Can you believe this guy? I happen to have a PhD in First Person Shooter Map Editors and I can tell you, as someone who's on the forefront of FPS Map Editor technology that the use of multiple colors is 10, maybe 20 years down the road at the minimum.

Forge would really benefit from something like this per individual piece

Pallet: UNSC, Civilian, Covenant, Forerunner ruin, Forerunner

Color (Primary): Silver, white, grey, green, yellow, black, etc

Color (secondary/highlight): Silver, white, grey, green, yellow, black, etc

Effect (texture on pieces): None, Rust, erosion, moss, dirt, etc

--

Of course some pieces/pallets/effects may be limited depending on what you choose, but you get the idea.

Holy unrealistic expectations Batman.

CC maps are one thing, that wouldn't be a huge hit on performance or anything(that I'm aware of, at least), but asking for all of that? Not this gen.

I really like HaloGAF alot. This is such a great mix of Halo fans. So many different points of view about the series that create an amazing mix of conversation here. Sure there is alot of meaningless garble here, but in reality all these mixed points of view show how great Halo truly is. Halo appeals to so many in so many different ways, I fuckin love it and this community.

Also, this Keyes terminal is making me cry :(

Can you believe this guy? I happen to have a PhD in First Person Shooter Map Editors and I can tell you, as someone who's on the forefront of FPS Map Editor technology that the use of multiple colors is 10, maybe 20 years down the road at the minimum.

Since when is this a thing? Since troll O'Clock?

orznge

Banned
Reasons that the map editor of one of the largest-budget first person shooters ever made does not allow players to change the color of objects after being requested for years:
  • would multiple colors and distinct landmarks and a unique visual identity really improve a map?
  • can 2012 technology support it?

Lunchbox

Banned
I really like HaloGAF alot. This is such a great mix of Halo fans. So many different points of view about the series that create an amazing mix of conversation here. Sure there is alot of meaningless garble here, but in reality all these mixed points of view show how great Halo truly is. Halo appeals to so many in so many different ways, I fuckin love it and this community.
how much did ms pr pay you to say that? 5c a word?

nillapuddin

do you want me to write a dissertation on why FPS maps that feature multiple colors are more playable and are aesthetically more pleasing

no what I want you to do is tell me how you would have a "simple RGB slider" actually work.

because this is what im hearing you say

o hey luk guis, COLOR WHEEL
turf9.jpg

now assuredly that isnt what you mean, but I dont know how else with the way your wording it

Holy unrealistic expectations Batman.

CC maps are one thing, that wouldn't be a huge hit on performance or anything(that I'm aware of, at least), but asking for all of that? Not this gen.

Oh trust me, I know how incredibly unrealistic they are for now. I'm just saying what my ideal wish would be.. and I'm sure a middle-ground could be achieved with that basic concept.

Drunk?

Ken

Hmm.

orznge

Banned
no what I want you to do is tell me how you would have a "simple RGB slider" actually work.

because this is what im hearing you say

o hey luk guis, COLOR WHEEL
turf9.jpg

now assuredly that isnt what you mean, but I dont know how else with the way your wording it

I guess it's time for me and the other color-likers to pack up and leave because we just got owned

Pop

Great community we have here.

That's not the alcohol talking is it? : )

nillapuddin

I guess it's time for me and the other color-likers to pack up and leave because we just got owned

look if you have no intention of actually discussing this then dont bring it up, ray, myself and others responded to you in a serious manner and you just fucking dodge all the questions.

orznge

Banned
look if you have no intention of actually discussing this then dont bring it up, ray, myself and others responded to you in a serious manner and you just fucking dodge all the questions.

lol yeah I'm dodging and not mocking questions like "how would adjusting an object's color via RGB sliders work?"

I really am curious on how you would implement an RGB slider for static meshes. Would you color swap, tint the whole texture atlas, tint the atlas with a color mask, etc. As someone interested in game/level design I'd love to hear how others would go about adding such a feature. I've devoted a lot of time to considering these features myself so having more views on said subject would be quite valuable.

orznge

Banned
Listen, I just don't understand. I know a bunch of you people who aren't satisfied with 343's product want to be able to adjust the sensitivity of your aim in Halo 5, but what does that mean and who are you to assert that it's technically possible?

orznge

Banned
I really am curious on how you would implement an RGB slider for static meshes. Would you color swap, tint the whole texture atlas, tint the atlas with a color mask, etc. As someone interested in game/level design I'd love to hear how others would go about adding such a feature. I've devoted a lot of time to considering these features myself so having more views on said subject would be quite valuable.

straight-up color swaps would fine

the whole issue is that ANY color contrast is better than none, ANY distinct landmarks are better than none, ANY unique visual identity is better than none

feel

I'm wearing a "batshit expectations" shirt to NYCC 2013, I can already imagine the design involving a bat somehow shitting out the word expectations.

edit-

Zlatko got banned for calling N'gai croal Whoopy Goldberg.. lmao

Omni

Oh fuck me. The plasma in my room won't turn on... I swear, every time a new Halo game is about to be released, something breaks. With Halo 3 it was my speaker system. With Reach my console red-ringed... and now the plasma isn't working with Halo 4 on its way.

Ehhhh. Less than 10 days to find the money to buy a new one. Faaaaaark

^ That really sucks.. Hopefully you can get a good deal somewhere.

That Wages guy from the FUD thread on gaming side was hilarious.

I honestly have no idea why he was so mad and defensive, haha.. Hell, most of people he was fighting with actually enjoyed FUD, including myself. I was just sharing my thoughts and critiques and boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom