• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Banned
I'm trying to think of one change to Halo 4 multiplayer that's actually an exciting innovation, can anyone suggest one? I'm being serious.

I actually tried hard on this one, but I came up blank. All I could think of was sprint and 5SK. Even the thruster pack, which is cool, is a limited instantiation of an old idea.

"There are various eyes. Even the Sphinx has eyes: and as a result there are various truths, and as a result there is no truth." ~Nietzsche

You left out the part where perspectivalism opens the door for will to power and the assertion of one's own values over and against others'. BigShow is being more Nietzschean than you think.

BigShow36

I guess you could make the argument of "drawing parallels," but you're pretty much complaining that the mode isn't innovative enough or whatever.

Where? I was responding to a totally different post and doing so in a pretty lighthearted manner which I thought everyone could recognize as being such.

No fucking shit, Sherlock. We've already established that the gameplay (or the vast majority of it) is going to be ejoyable. So why aren't we allowed to discuss the other issues surrounding the release of the game?

There's only so much gameplay to discuss when 90% of us have yet to play the game besides that of what we can gather from videos and impressions.

You want the Halo 4 Gameplay OT.

And Hydra's usually the calm one around here. :^)

Might get another game or two of Reach in my system before the debates.

It's innovating by blatantly ripping off Call of Duty and putting "Spartan" in front of everything and pretending they've never heard of Call of Duty.

Again, I never said anything about the killcam. He asked what new/revolutionary features he should be excited about and I made a facetious comment about them borrowing from Call of Duty.

You're cute.

So you would agree that the gameplay is the most important aspect? That's what I "bitch" about; the gameplay. Hence why I said I bitch about things that actually matter. This is the entire premise of your original disagreement, which you are now agreeing with me on.

Value for SpOps vs Firefight doesn't sound like gameplay bitching to me.

So you would agree that the gameplay is the most important aspect? That's what I "bitch" about; the gameplay. Hence why I said I bitch about things that actually matter. This is the entire premise of your original disagreement, which you are now agreeing with me on.

I think everyone agrees on that, but you have to realize that people have varying opinions over gameplay choices. Don't mistake people bitching about non gameplay things as them not caring first and foremost about how the game plays.

Arnie

I'll give you that, kind of. On the kill cam issue, what exactly is your problem with it? The name? You'd rather they call it CoD Kill Cam? I mean, what did you expect 343i to do? They decided they liked the concept of a kill cam that numerous games now have, and decided to make it fit with Halo with the look and name. Wouldn't any dev do that?

I can understand wanting it gone, but bitching about them changing it to fit in with the universe of the game it is in? That's a bit much.
My agitation arose from them using a multiplayer expose to pimp kill cam, rather than an actually innovative idea. I get that it's in the game, I don't have much of an issue with it, but when they're trying to justify it's inclusion in a game, in 2012, I'm a bit gobsmacked.

And then it moves onto all the other additions, which in turn just happen to be repurposed and remodelled scraps from other popular shooters, welded into the Halo sandbox. It's tiresome.

I want something new in the multiplayer space. Something daring. Something that pushes boundaries, or changes the way we think about multiplayer. These are the things Halo has always tried to do, the things Bungie's always pushed for, so it's disturbing to see a 13 minute video amount to little more than a list of pulled features, contextualised, and brought into the Infinity banner as exciting new additions.

I actually tried hard on this one, but I came up blank. All I could think of was sprint and 5SK. Even the thruster pack, which is cool, is a limited instantiation of an old idea.

Exactly, and funnily enough the thruster is an extension of Armour Abilities, an addition from Reach that (to me and many others) didn't justify it's place in the Halo sandbox all that well, quite like equipment.

But 343 barely even touched on why they returned in Halo 4, and what they believe they add, and why they couldn't be cut. Instead we're fed some shlock on killcams and killstreaks and helmets.

The character development of Ramirez from Team Downer to Team Heckfu has been quite something this season. Can't wait for the series finale.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My agitation arose from them using a multiplayer expose to pimp kill cam, rather than an actually innovative idea. I get that it's in the game, I don't have much of an issue with it, but when they're trying to justify it's inclusion in a game, in 2012, I'm a bit gobsmacked.

And then it moves onto all the other additions, which in turn just happen to be repurposed and remodelled scraps from other popular shooters, welded into the Halo sandbox. It's tiresome.

I want something new in the multiplayer space. Something daring. Something that pushes boundaries, or changes the way we think about multiplayer. These are the things Halo has always tried to do, the things Bungie's always pushed for, so it's disturbing to see a 13 minute video amount to little more than a list of pulled features, contextualised, and brought into the Infinity banner as exciting new additions.

I get this. I can respect this. I may not agree with it 100% but at least you have a solid idea of what you want.

CyReN

Utxv1.png

had no idea it was big over there.

BigShow36

I think everyone agrees on that, but you have to realize that people have varying opinions over gameplay choices. Don't mistake people bitching about non gameplay things as them not caring first and foremost about how the game plays.

I never said they can't. All I said was that I bitch about what matters; gameplay. Regardless of your opinion about gameplay, that is what matters in a video game.

I'm done with this, I have much better things to do with my time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think soon is a good timeframe

I guess we only have a 2 week window! (that feels so weird to say).

What I want is essentially what I'd imagine Halo 4 to be if Bungie developed it, which I admit is perhaps a little unfair. But if 343i's development practise is rip and run, rather than to design an innovative solution of their own then I'm less sympathetic to these errant expectations.

What makes you think it'd be different? Bungie added AA's. Bungie's map design went downhill in Reach. As far as I'm concerned Bungie is an amazing studio, but they were sliding on Halo. I'm not so sure they would've had some new mind blowing feature. I don't necessarily think 343 is doing any "rip and run" either. They looked at what is popular in other huge games and tweaked it for Halo. Can this be bad, yeah. So far, though, they looked to have done a great job.

I think 343's main innovation is coming in the re-imagining of campaign and addition of Spartan Ops. In 2012 it's getting harder and harder to do something that we've never seen before. Bungie added Forge and Theater into Halo 3 and now people hate on Forge, and every game has a theater. This isn't an excuse, just thinking out loud of what 343 could do.

Arnie

I get this. I can respect this. I may not agree with it 100% but at least you have a solid idea of what you want.

What I want is essentially what I'd imagine Halo 4 to be if Bungie developed it, which I admit is perhaps a little unfair. But if 343i's development practise is rip and run, rather than to design an innovative solution of their own then I lose a lot of sympathy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Getting friends who were interested in Forward Unto Dawn to watch Halo Legends was a really bad call. I'm a little embarrassed.

I need a way out.

Ewww.

Seriously. I really wish camo was a power up like overshield, speed boost, and damage boost.

The CQC camo players are the easiest to deal with... the radar jammer tells you we are there and it is really easy to see the shimmer. It isn't like I camp with sword or shottie. All assassinations for me so I have to out think my opponent.

Also Camo as a power up is insane. I dominated the annie playlist because I timed the AC well. Since few people expect camo in the Annie playlist it is just easy. lol...

Camo is the one ability I didn't see at all (or maybe didn't notice...) at NYCC. I have no idea how its changed from Reach. Anyone?

If what I've been seeing isn't a bug, CQC camo was nerfed pretty heavily, sniper camo will probably still be fine. The radar jammer portion of it no longer jams... it still puts a bunch of dots on the radar, but they are all blue. They are pretty much just to tell you that a camo player is around you. Even the camo player is a red dot so the camo player can't use it as a radar jammer anymore because he will be the lone red dot among blue dots. There are also only like 6 dots that get generated rather than 15+.

I'd be cool with it if it made the camo player a blue dot as well. I'm going to miss the radar jammer as that was the main reason I used it. Once players see a radar jammer they spin in circles looking for a camo player or they don't look at their radar at all so it is just a matter of hitting them in the back.

If the jammer dots can't be used to jam radars anymore then that may be the death of camo for me. I may switch to Hologram or Auto Sentry as both of those AAs lean towards an ambush style of gameplay. I will try camo to see how it fits into the current sandbox, but part of me feels like I would be better off just having a straight radar jammer AA...

I hope Holograms last for a decent period of time... I can totally see myself using those as bait for assassinations or to ambush and get the first shot in to be lead in the damage race. And I really want to see if I can maximize the potential for the auto sentry. :)

The game is an evolution of Halo, not a revolution. I'm happy for it to be that. Halo 5 on the next gen will most likely go for more of a revolution.

Personally I think the evolutionary process if far better. It's great to design in revolutionary terms for freshness and excitement but real quality comes from iteration and evolution post the revolt against the industry standards.

Look at the balancing of the precision weapons, the balancing of the AA's, the tweaking of tactical/support packages as well as overall gameplay mechanics such as base speed, damage, ordnance and playlists etc.

This is the Halo I think I've been waiting for, take the 5 FPS based Halo games so far and all that experience combined with trial and error to produce the best Halo yet. Sounds good to me that we're getting the best ideas in terms of netcode, gunplay, AA's etc.

What's not to like exactly? Further you haven't even touched on the campaign or spartan ops. The sheer value and replayability with Halo 4 is insanely massive! Honestly take a step back and think to yourself for my game purchase price I'm getting how many weeks, months or years out of my investment?

Far better value that any other form of entertainment I can think of...

Arnie

Look at the balancing of the precision weapons

In ODST Bungie removed the Battle Rifle because it cannibalised the balance of the pistol; rightly or wrongly that was a brave decision, and one that I appreciated. In Halo 4 343 have thrown in every precision weapon, regardless of balance, and will let users just decide and gravitate towards their favourite one.

In Halo 4, as a result, there'll be less balance because everyone's on an uneven playing field from the off, because the mantra for Halo 4 is choice and accessibility. That's a theme that prior Halo's never bothered with, and Halo fans to this day haven't craved.

It is by all accounts a revolution, if, that is, Modern Warfare and Create a Class never happened, and the industry hadn't leaned in this direction for half a decade now.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Just got an Email from Xbox, phone only displayed this much of the message;

"Evil Awakens

-View as web page Blood Violence..."

idk why such little things make me giggle

Haha I want to throw a dealwithit.gif at you.
don't hate me juices <3
Honestly I am so in the same bed with Time to Kill. Yes, THE SAME BED!!!
Oh crap, I think i'm pregnant...
The argument can easily be turned against the team of 4 players. If they don't want to waste their time playing a 4v1, they can just as easily quit out to spare themselves. Why should I be screwed and get penalized just because I get stuck with a bunch of quitting morons, and the opposite team is a bunch of tryhards
:3
who want to have everything given to them on a platter. As if getting the automatic win isn't enough? I love to stick it out to try and make my miracle comeback if for no other reason than to piss the other team off. It's the small vindication a poor player has with no teammates... But it also can be a highly rewarding challenge. Still, that's not nearly as bad as objective holding that some people enjoy doing. Long Live Halo Honor! I'm now ready for the hot flames of mockery and love hate.

But I digress, Halo4 won't have this problem as people have already stated. Let's play some Reach! :D

EDIT:
Not that anyone Care to much But here is a free Avatar code
For a women's UNSC t-shirt
YV2HH-MTK86-VC8HY-7FM3M-HKQK4

Enjoy whom ever redeems it first
Where 'dem lurkers at?

Delta Unit Hinkle, 2 weeks until Juices' Cuddle Launch Party

you bringing the gourmet food you cooked right

Saddly i moved back to Oregon. Anyone Out that way wanna Hang, going to Have a halo 4 Lanfest At my new Apt With hopefully a bunch of my old Drumline Buddies. But i deff Will cook Taken requests lol. woot woot.
Pm if Interested

New Job is going pretty good so far.

Saddly i moved back to Oregon. Anyone Out that way wanna Hang, going to Have a halo 4 Lanfest At my new Apt With hopefully a bunch of my old Drumline Buddies. But i deff Will cook Taken requests lol. woot woot.
Pm if Interested

New Job is going pretty good so far.

Oregon, eh? Where you at? I've lived in Eugene for a couple years now.

News flash BS! Not everyone cares about competitive balance.

Yea but those people dont matter. Casual AR scum.

Anyways I got a flashing symbol and it says EVIL AWAKENS in my email.

OAHHH mAHHHHHHHH GOADDDDDD CANT WAIT FOR H4.

actually this email literally pissed me off. don't waste my time with some stupid symbol.

In ODST Bungie removed the Battle Rifle because it cannibalised the balance of the pistol; rightly or wrongly that was a brave decision, and one that I appreciated. In Halo 4 343 have thrown in every precision weapon, regardless of balance, and will let users just decide and gravitate towards their favourite one.

In Halo 4, as a result, there'll be less balance because everyone's on an uneven playing field from the off, because the mantra for Halo 4 is choice and accessibility. That's a theme that prior Halo's never bothered with, and Halo fans to this day haven't craved.

It is by all accounts a revolution, if, that is, Modern Warfare and Create a Class never happened, and the industry hadn't leaned in this direction for half a decade now.

I think that is incorrect mate. Each weapon apart from the light rifle has been in a previous Halo game and often multiple Halo games. The process you describe is in fact a simple evolution of including all weapons in one game sandbox.

Further the battle distances and choices with loadouts to me just make things faster and more personal rather than running around a map to a weapon spawn just to find only 1 of 8 players now has a DMR (remember AR starts anyone).

To me it's all about speeding up the gameplay and making it personal while not overpowering from the spawn itself. Further there are many settings to playlists so what you describe is only one version of the many permutations we'll get to play or choose from.

From the sources I put stock in the reports form hands on experience is the precision weapons are balanced the best out of any Halo so far. I'm keeping my opinion firmly there thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom