• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I would guess that the more cinematic elements of Halo 4's campaign (QTE's and such) didn't play nice with theater mode. No real proof, this is just conjecture.

Doesn't explain the lack of campaign scoring, though. Is there a scoring system in spartan ops?

Havok

I've put up with ugly ass Forge maps for going on five years now, and while I hate the monotonous aesthetics, I can put up with it if the map is designed well. It still seems that Halo 4's Forge is only a small improvement aesthetically. And Relay is the only 343-developed Forge map we've seen, right? I'm surprised we haven't seen the ones set on The Ravine and Erosion.
There were some streams of Settler and whatever the Erosion one is called back when the leaks were starting to spread around, where folks were just running down the map list and doing flythroughs.

They both look significantly less impressive than Relay, in my opinion (both aesthetically and in terms of design). Settler is basically two Blood Gulch bases placed willy-nilly in the Ravine's hilly area, with a small bridge and a ridge, at least from what I saw. The Erosion one was more difficult to to get a grasp around, but just seemed messy.

I've said this before but Forge has been to me personally one of the greatest features added to Halo. Especially with the steady decline in stock Bungie gametypes and maps. Forge seems to have been made easier to build maps from scratch and to iterate on. The problem isn't Forge, it's the system in which the community maps make it to top. Sure, a full featured terrain and map building system would be amazing. We don't however know what sacrifices it would take in order to get that done. Because I've been so pleased with Forge over the years, I don't see how a full map editor is necessary. I can understand the frustration the people have with Forge though and how they would want a more robust editor.

While a Farcry style map editor would be awesome, I think the majority of people here just want something that is easier on the eyes. When every map looks the same, and by the same I mean grey (now white, silver or rust) it gets a bit old. On top of that, a lot of information can be lost, like where you are, etc. Forge Map design gets repetitive also, but I wont deny there are some good ones.

My biggest complaints with forge in Halo 4 are

1. Visual repetition and blandness is still a very big issue.
2. No revolutionary new tools or pieces; the majority of updates just make the experience of making a map easier.
3. It does not accommodate BTB or even give you a good starting point. Where are the large areas of flat terrain?

I can speak for High Speed Halo (and will soon, going out now) but for starters, other communities like Fails of the Week, the Mythic groups (why have skulls? without theatre and scoring how can you prove you actually accomplished a SLASO run?), any of the Halo tricking, screenshot, or... fuck it, i'm getting worked up again...

=/

I really hope 343 doesn't try to brush this off. Especially since they have implied Halo 4 would have full feature parity to past games.

First episode of FUD reached over 6 millions views :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBfSH8&list=PL549EB9DBB2FF8C24&index=1&feature=plcp

TV series now please.

Damn. Good stuff.

I would guess that the more cinematic elements of Halo 4's campaign (QTE's and such) didn't play nice with theater mode. No real proof, this is just conjecture.

Doesn't explain the lack of campaign scoring, though. Is there a scoring system in spartan ops?
I really hope they didn't cut the mode because some things looked off. Big deal. Its theater. I hope the reason it was cut was that it was crashing or something.

feel

Stream crapped itself for me so I went over to youtube and watched a ton of Halo 3 MLG top tens and now I'm depressed.. Goddamn what happened to Halo it used to be this incredible thing. :( :(

kylej

Banned
That link took me to Top 10 LOL plays, I attempted to watch, but they all looked the same. I'll never get those games...

Oh, come off it Kyle, I'm not defending anyone. I even said it didn't mean I agree with the choices. 343 could come give you a BJ & suck your nuts daily, and you'd still find something to whine about sarcastically on here.

You are absolutely defending 343. You're saying consumers should put up or shutup. Don't like it, don't buy it. Why? What does 343 do for you? Who cares how difficult the development cycle was? In what world does being dissatisfied with small parts of a product mean you should completely avoid buying said product?

Rather than justify everything by pointing to a nebulous "development cycle", I'd rather side with long time Halo communities like Nokyard's who are expressing frustration over missing legacy features. I don't have a problem with people who think certain elements aren't important, the problem is when they get pushed back and told their concerns aren't a big deal - by people who have no logical reason to take a stance against them. If you really care about consumer practices, don't vote with a single wallet, instead vote with a collective of unified voices.

Rev3rb

Wow, didn't even think of that... that might be the reason why.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There were some streams of Settler and whatever the Erosion one is called back when the leaks were starting to spread around, where folks were just running down the map list and doing flythroughs.

They both look significantly less impressive than Relay, in my opinion (both aesthetically and in terms of design). Settler is basically two Blood Gulch bases placed willy-nilly in the Ravine's hilly area, with a small bridge and a ridge, at least from what I saw. The Erosion one was more difficult to to get a grasp around, but just seemed messy.
Hmm, okay, so they at least exist. Guess I'll see'em for myself on November 6.

I really hope 343 doesn't try to brush this off. Especially since they have implied Halo 4 would have full feature parity to past games.
I honestly can't believe they haven't commented already. Their silence on this is really damaging their image amongst some of their closest fans.

You are absolutely defending 343. You're saying consumers should put up or shutup. Don't like it, don't buy it. Why? What does 343 do for you? Who cares how difficult the development cycle was? In what world does being dissatisfied with small parts of a product mean you should completely avoid buying said product?

Rather than justify everything by pointing to a nebulous "development cycle", I'd rather side with long time Halo communities like Nokyard's who are expressing frustration over missing legacy features. I don't have a problem with people who think certain elements aren't important, the problem is when they get pushed back and told their concerns aren't a big deal - by people who have no logical reason to take a stance against them. If you really care about consumer practices, don't vote with a single wallet, instead vote with a collective of unified voices.

Apologies, you actually said they sucked a mountain of dicks.

Sanjuro

Can you find skulls in Halo: CEA with skull activated? None of them were there on one of the missions...maybe just a glitch.

of course theres a huge storm coming the week before Halo 4.

probably going to lose power and not get it back in time for launch. FFFUUUU

I think Bungie spread them self thin including all of these features. They became the jack of all trades and the master of none. Right now 343 looked to have nailed the gameplay portion and honestly that is all that matters. Those communities lost can be brought back in future iterations, but they needed to bring people back who disliked Halo Reach gameplay.

Ramirez

I'm absolutely not defending them, I grow weary of childish tactics, if you want to disagree on something, then do it. Don't proclaim a company sucks a mountain of dicks & drop in and say "better lighting" & "good enough", then be expected to be taken seriously by anyone.

I agree with you on every point, I just strongly disagree with your delivery. Poking fun is one thing, but we crossed that line a long time ago.

As for the second half, I've never told anyone their concerns weren't important (I have said many missing features are meaningless to me, personally!), so don't lump me in there.

I get pissed at some of your posts I really do but when you discuss your opinions like this I cant help but side with you virtually every time.

Removal of legacy features is a kick in the teeth to the communities who grew and thrived because of those features. As a consumer I respect 343.Some of the choices they have made have been really great for me and I'm relatively happy with what I believe the final product will and will not include.

However I can't condone removal of features for seemingly no reason because while this time it has had little effect on me next time it could have a huge impact on my enjoyment.

IHaveIce

Banned
I can understand Nokyard, of course I have to say I have no clue about developing a game or something like this, but those features were established tools for some communities, to see that communities like Grifball and Living Dead get such a support, despite being "only" fringe gametypes and Campaign features getting cut doesn't help either.

Of course these communities still can exist, but it isn't a logical thing to take such a thing away. Maybe it is right and Campaign theater doesn't work because of the graphics, but then please explain it 343.

Ramirez is right, you have to make a decision, do I vote with my money for this game? But I don't think it will help if you don't buy it. I don't know it's a difficult thing.

Now on Forge, the thing is we don't know what would have happened if 343 had said "Ok guys we put all our time and skills in Forge (assuming they wouldn't have outsourced it)" How would it have affected the other maps? Other things like Core gameplay or such things.
Maybe it isn't even possible to do some stuff you guys suggest.

In short, my main criticisms for Halo 4 are:

Stripping away some established features and gametypes but supporting stuff that is really away from the core gameplay of Halo.

That is worse than some white text in the middle of the screen or else.

They should add singleplayer Forge. You can script your own adventure.
Not you, Fyre.

I would love for something like Horde/Firefight but allowing it to exist on standard MP maps. If they allowed for Forging both the map and AI paths, placements, etc that would be amazing. I do hope FF returns, but they really should look at Gears 3's Horde mode for inspiration.

I honestly can't believe they haven't commented already. Their silence on this is really damaging their image amongst some of their closest fans.
Yup, thats what bothers me the most.. the lack of transparency and honesty with this situation rubs me the wrong way. This is a big deal. If its gone, nobody is going to be happy, but be honest and explain yourself to keep fans understanding and respectful to the situation.

Can you find skulls in Halo: CEA with skull activated? None of them were there on one of the missions...maybe just a glitch.
Were you in classic graphics? They don't appear in that mode.

Noricart

I would love for something like Horde/Firefight but allowing it to exist on standard MP maps. If they allowed for Forging both the map and AI paths, placements, etc that would be amazing. I do hope FF returns, but they really should look at Gears 3's Horde mode for inspiration.
I'd love some persistent co-op a la MW3 and Mass Effect 3. Think it could fit within Halo if there are more equip-able modifiers. Say +5 speed for -.1 fire rate. Or things that change the duration and power of AAs.

Forge for SpOps could be fantastic in future titles.

Build a map and then add spawn locations and such.

Imagine recreating some of the battles from the books

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Why are you still doing this to yourself?! We're 9 days away!!

Rent Dishonored, or AC3 on Tuesday, anything but Reach. :(

Pretty crazy to think that I'll be playing an entirely new Halo game for the next few years. Reach has been good to me.

kylej

Banned
I'm absolutely not defending them, I grow weary of childish tactics, if you want to disagree on something, then do it. Don't proclaim a company sucks a mountain of dicks & drop in and say "better lighting" & "good enough", then be expected to be taken seriously by anyone.

The delivery of my internet posts on a video game message board means jack. My point was not that people should take my posts seriously, my point was that when people like Nokyard express very legitimate concerns, they should not be met with garbage like this:

Basically it always comes down to "I don't know how stuff works, BUT IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME. YOU OWE ME."

If you're going to side with someone, don't side with the Microsoft subsidiary, side with the communities that are the lifeblood of the franchise. This thread needs to hop off the 343 kool-aid for a while and start looking at things more objectively; it will benefit everyone more in the long-run.

Homeboyd

Yup, thats what bothers me the most.. the lack of transparency and honesty with this situation rubs me the wrong way. This is a big deal. If its gone, nobody is going to be happy, but be honest and explain yourself to keep fans understanding and respectful to the situation.
It sets a dangerous precedent I'm sure. 343 responding to pirates about rumors they're spreading here invites more to do the same, knowing 343 has to come in and clarify.

I agree that these features should've been discussed by now, but I don't expect them to come in and disclose anything in response to leaks.

Karl2177

I get the feeling that time was not allocated correctly during development. The engine looks great, the base gameplay looks solid, and SpOps has the potential to be huge in terms of episodic gameplay. But everything else looks weak. Forge has minimal improvements and some features cut. Theatre loses support for a key mode. Redesigns that didn't need to occur. Firefight is dropped completely. Many game modes are completely dropped or have major options removed.

I'm getting the sense that the studio went under an almost Halo 2-esque time mismanagement and instead of chopping off part of the campaign, like Halo 2, they instead chopped off some other features. It's that, the studio is awful(which I'm incredibly doubtful of seeing some of the talent that they have), or it is quite simply the Xbox is at its limit. I'm moderately wary on the last one, because games like Crysis 2, Halo: Reach, and Mass Effect 3 pulled off seemingly just as much, if not more than.

Ramirez

Halo 4 doesn't have a theatre mode for Campaign? What the actual fuck?

Thermite's campaign machinima cancelled before it even had a chance to take off!

If you're going to side with someone, don't side with the Microsoft subsidiary, side with the communities that are the lifeblood of the franchise. This thread needs to hop off the 343 kool-aid for a while and start looking at things more objectively; it will benefit everyone more in the long-run.

I'm not siding with anyone though, I understand both sides. I understand that certain communities expect certain things & I also understand that dev cycles have hard decisions that must be made. Sucks for both sides.

FRANCE

FRANCE

NETHERLANDS

MEXICO

CANADA

I just wanna stay sharp.

Spain

Italy

Russia

Japan

Brazil

They should add a world map and airplane animation a la Street Fighter 2.

Carmen-sandiego.jpg

Akai__

No it was at the review event.

edit: Karl, saw your post in OT about the code you're stuck at. Send it to meeee!! I want to see it all!!

Still works for me. :)

You are married to Elzar, which is worse?

Lol, awesome. I played today just a bunch of arena, one of the only playlists I can enjoy(no jetpack)

Just wanted to have fun, with a couple of friends, but Reach didn't wanted me to have fun. I betrayed a team-mate the game before, too, because I shot with a Wraith across the map, by the way. Also got booted...

Thermite

Thermite's campaign machinima cancelled before it even had a chance to take off!

I was so hyped to tell the story of babby grunts' first footsteps on a new planet, too. Would have had some sick dubstep and 360 no scoping.

Honestly, I'm not a big theatre user. I used it only a handful of times in Halo 3 and even less in Reach, but it's just puzzling to see another feature missing from the game that was in previous games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom