• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Wu

And this just happened to me in Reach: I will never play Halo Reach again, last game ever. Got booted afterwards => Rage quit.
Heh. Couple of nights ago, I was playing with my son - we were in Anniversary on Beaver Creek. I'm back near Teleporter, and a guy comes out from under the base; I put a plasma on his head. He runs back underneath, and when he explodes, he kills one of my teammates (who didn't have a mic, and who I didn't even know was in the bottom of the base). I apologize immediately for the betrayal.

I get booted.

At the time, we were winning, with my son and I both positive, our two teammates bringing up the rear. My son quit when I got booted - he didn't think they deserved his help.

(They lost without us.)

i'm sure i'm not the first to do this, nor the best, but i think it turned out quite well. happy haloween.

8128663588_d9838b8dd0_z.jpg
GUILT O' LANTERN!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn Claude those are some serious prizes. I might have to buy a couple pumpkins and get to work lol

Lately it's been.

1. New Info
2. Team SLRP out in force
3. Everyone rejoice over Halo 4
4. Excitement Plateaus
5. Team Downer mentions something we've known for months but forgot about in our excitement
6. Bitch and moan, talk about Halo 5
7. Loop back to 1

HaloGAF

You forgot one thing:

2269248820.png

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I'm in charge of getting chips for the games tonight. Rows and rows of Doritos w/ their previous NFL promotion, no Double XP. God, I don't even want to think how long those things stay on shelves or how long they keep.

Woorloog

Banned
I really want a Halo RPG. With co-op mode to play the story mode too (where all players choose their class and character etc stuff, no clones unless they play as clones...).
Inventory management, skill points, armor and weapon modifications, dialogue, vehicles.
Classes=Marine, Spartan, ODST, ONI Spook, others?
Expansions add Covenant and Innie stories.

BTW, Post-Halo 3 Haloverse would suit a Halo MMO (canonical info, non-canonical events). We have a mixed independed planet (probably more of them), Venize, the Covenant species are independed mostly now, humans have factions... definetly would suit a MMO, as long as WoW-type is not copied.

I do hope FF returns, but they really should look at Gears 3's Horde mode for inspiration.

This x100

Imagine the fortifications from dominion making their way into Halo 5 firefight.

Build shield doors and turrets, call in airstrikes, ordnance or AI-controlled friendlies!

And while you're at it: take a look at Uncharted. Generator defense was fun, but I want more objectives in my firefight!

Also, firefight needs to be more large scale. Lost Platoon was fucking amazing.

Reach firefight maps were crap, there was nothing even remotely as good as the ODST ones.

The gameplay iself was also meh, mostly because the sense of danger was gone. ODST firefight was terrifying, I remember being holed up in the ONI building with three other guys and trying to get the endure (?) achievement. One of us went to pick up a friend in the middle of the match and we had to defend him for over half an hour until he finally returned. Most intense coop game I have ever played.

Although I have to say the red blinking and the near-death sound in ODST due to the black eye skull was aggravating. That was the single thing better in Reach than in ODST FF.

Another huge gripe with Reach: why the fuck could we not play firefight on the multiplayer maps and vice-versa?

I loved the Boneyard part in the campaign, why not put it in FF too? So ridiculous.
I get that some FF maps would not have worked well in MP, but every single MP map was in single player and had AI enemies on it, so it would've worked for FF too.

zap

So Halo 4 uses that same exact visual effect that Reach used when players teleport. That seems a little lazy to me.

I don't see how that's lazy - was there anything wrong with the visual effect? It's such a minor thing - It's probably the last thing I would complain about.

I'm up to 9. I got my girlfriend to start buying stuff too. She likes Doritos, but not mountain dew. I might ask a few people at work to help me out as well.

Hah similar boat here. Except I don't like dew, just Doritos. I'm at 9 as well. I would have more but my girlfriend is keeping her double xp to herself :/ never shoulda gotten that live family account haha

I think 343 will eventually put in a ranking system in Halo4. There is a reason why Reach fell off in popularity. I may not like the gameplay, but if there was a ranking system like Halo 2 or even 3 I would play it regardless.

Giving a goal gets people to play. I never cared for armor customization so challenges for credits I am not going to use was pointless for me.

IHaveIce

Banned
Rewatching the Flag match on Haven, I don't know what I should think of the flag positions and team spawns on this map, I don't think this is the best solution.

Would love to see some other takes on spawns on this map

So how many games of Double XP does everyone have? I just redeemed my first codes today.
Only one, I don't live in America and have to hope on generous gaffers who have some spare codes <3

I don't see how that's lazy - was there anything wrong with the visual effect? It's such a minor thing - It's probably the last thing I would complain about.

I dunno, the little things such as animations and effects being slightly changed between the installments keep games fresh for me. In this case, it's really no big deal tho.

Pop

I think 343 will eventually put in a ranking system in Halo4. There is a reason why Reach fell off in popularity. I may not like the gameplay, but if there was a ranking system like Halo 2 or even 3 I would play it regardless.

Giving a goal gets people to play. I never cared for armor customization so challenges for credits I am not going to use was pointless for me.

Agreed.

willow ve

i live in BFE and havent even seen the halo 4 marketed mt dew or doritos :(

Me too. I have 23 total games and I have seen only handfuls of Dew 20 oz bottles and no Doritos yet to speak of. I took a trip recently to the east coast and that's where I found codes...

Stupid midwest.

i live in BFE and havent even seen the halo 4 marketed mt dew or Doritos :(

Ah, I actually have 2 bags of Doritos and dew, but Im waiting for the app to come out so I can put them in at 7-11 since its down the block from me. No trouble finding them here in LA

Only one, I don't live in America and have to hope on generous gaffers who have some spare codes <3

That's awesome that you already got one then!

15 here.

About to get some more. Doritos TIME!

THinking about doing the same. I gotta be careful, don't wanna put on 100 lbs because of halo haha

Damn. Thats sick

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
watching the latest FuD and it pains me that there is no needle rifle in halo 4. its the first new covie weapon since CE that has really nailed it IMO, cant believe its a one and done. its basically the carbine, but memorable.

Booshka

This seems so shallow to me, you should want to play the game because it is a fun video game, not because you want to hop on some Rank treadmill. It's just the nature of shooters now I guess, but the gameplay itself should be the reason you keep coming back to the game, not levels or titles.

I know some players think of ranking up as just added incentive to keep playing a game they love, but it seems like a lot of people are playing a game they don't really think is that good, because they are so invested in the rank progression.

ZalinKrow

Indeed you do.

Hopefully, Krow keeps his end of the bargain.

I had to backtrack to see what you were on about (even though I already knew), interesting how this "bargain" is working out. My 3DS and helmets shall remain here thank you ;)

Finished Halo 2 today, moving onto 3 in the coming days. If I've a lot more time to kill we might run through ODST too. Hype get.

THinking about doing the same. I gotta be careful, don't wanna put on 100 lbs because of halo haha

I very rarely drink pop and never really have doritos, and this is what I've been thinking since I started collecting codes. I've only drank two bottles in the last three days, but still. Feels like a lot.

Sanjuro

This seems so shallow to me, you should want to play the game because it is a fun video game, not because you want to hop on some Rank treadmill. It's just the nature of shooters now I guess, but the gameplay itself should be the reason you keep coming back to the game, not levels or titles.

I know some players think of ranking up as just added incentive to keep playing a game they love, but it seems like a lot of people are playing a game they don't really think is that good, because they are so invested in the rank progression.

We live in a video game culture where people enjoy filling bars to completion, of any sort.

Rev3rb

watching the latest FuD and it pains me that there is no needle rifle in halo 4. its the first new covie weapon since CE that has really nailed it IMO, cant believe its a one and done. its basically the carbine, but memorable.

Ah, whenever that supercombine happened, it was so satisfying

Well I just said I didn't have fun, but the ranks would have kept me playing.

bGanci

Banned
Anyone else watching the halo 3 rebroadcast? Because Puckett, ghandi and shockwave all have really high squeeky voices lol

Pop

We live in a video game culture where people enjoy filling bars to completion, of any sort.

And buy dozens of Doritos so they can do it just slightly faster.

Cry me a river both of you.

I enjoy skill ranks, what's the big deal? I really hate Reach and it's not because of the lack of ranks. H2/H3 are great games that I enjoy playing casually. But who are you two to say we can't have a little extra incentive to play. We enjoy ranks, we enjoy reaching the top. I could careless about some shiny armor to unlock.

ZalinKrow

Back peddling already? Pathetic.

:p

Haha you'll forget about it when Halo 4 is out. It's sooo close.

Random thought, but I'm expecting they'll cancel the post-game bar-fill animation screen in splitscreen again? Would love if they didn't though :/ But meh, it's just a small thing. I'm just hoping splitscreen is okay in general. Worried about the double up of Steitzer audio and what way the HUD things will appear in particular.

Akai__

Heh. Couple of nights ago, I was playing with my son - we were in Anniversary on Beaver Creek. I'm back near Teleporter, and a guy comes out from under the base; I put a plasma on his head. He runs back underneath, and when he explodes, he kills one of my teammates (who didn't have a mic, and who I didn't even know was in the bottom of the base). I apologize immediately for the betrayal.

I get booted.

At the time, we were winning, with my son and I both positive, our two teammates bringing up the rear. My son quit when I got booted - he didn't think they deserved his help.

(They lost without us.)

GUILT O' LANTERN!

I just wanted to emphasize, that the betrayal/booting system is bad. Before this video, I accidently betrayed an other guy acrosd the map with a Wraith shot. Was quite stupid, but it was not on purpose. I always get kicked, because I'm quite lucky, as you could see in the vid. :(

^_^

Been wanting to join in on conversations that have been going on for a while.. Now I can! lol

Welcome to HaloGAF. Enjoy your stay. :)

Four Anniversary achievements left:
All maps on Heroic
All maps on Legendary
Library under 30 min Legendary
Library no deaths Heroic or higher.
Any (european, less latency) still need any of those? I'll try to do them next week, specifically the Library ones.

I highly recommend you to watch a guide for the Library, because you can skip some encounters, by going around them or by just standing quite in a corner. If you don't find anyone to do them, hit me up in a couple of days.

It sets a dangerous precedent I'm sure. 343 responding to pirates about rumors they're spreading here invites more to do the same, knowing 343 has to come in and clarify.

I agree that these features should've been discussed by now, but I don't expect them to come in and disclose anything in response to leaks.

The thing is though when were they going to disclose that pretty significant piece of information? If the pirates hadn't have spilled those beans we'd still be none the wiser less than a fortnight out from launch. Can you imagine the fury and complete sense of being conned some players would have had if they first discovered the game didn't have Campaign theatre on launch day after their first playthrough? It'd be like being told you have clamydia then delaying to tell all your recent sexual partners until they'd gone infertile. Nobody wants to make that phonecall but you have to do it out of decency.

Since when is this a thing? Since troll O'Clock?

People still don't know what trolling means in 2012?

That number 1 play is absolutely sensational. The difficulty of Halo 3's snipe makes a play like that leagues ahead of a Reach equivalent.

I think Bungie spread them self thin including all of these features. They became the jack of all trades and the master of none. Right now 343 looked to have nailed the gameplay portion and honestly that is all that matters. Those communities lost can be brought back in future iterations, but they needed to bring people back who disliked Halo Reach gameplay.

343 are very lucky to be following a comparatively poor Bungie Halo effort. Reach set the bar so low in some respects that there are hundreds of posts spanning multiple OT's praising 343 for something as banal as being able to jump higher. Imagine if Bungie's last Halo had been received as on par with Halo 3 and they nailed the magic that made the first 3 games so universally appealing; I don't think 343 would be able to 'just' nail the core gameplay for it to be enough, particularly with the news that MS spent more on it than any of the previous Halo games.

Note that I don't personally think Reach is a bad game. I think it's a very good game under particular circumstances but one that has too many problems in the wider scheme of MM, loadout management, trueskill and map deficiencies.

Sanjuro

Cry me a river both of you.

I enjoy skill ranks, what's the big deal? I really hate Reach and it's not because of the lack of ranks. H2/H3 are great games that I enjoy playing casually. But who are you two to say we can't have a little extra incentive to play. We enjoy ranks, we enjoy reaching the top. I could careless about some shiny armor to unlock.

So, you don't like leveling? Not sure your point.

there, i think thats everything that was a one and done.

RIP needle rifle, grenade launcher, focus rifle, plasma launcher, plasma repeater, revenant, falcon.
2010-2012

RIP mauler, spike grenades, firebomb, flamethrower(sorta), missle pod, trip mine, bubble shield, chopper, hornet, campaign invis + invincibility.
2007-2010

RIP spectre.
2004-2007

RIP halo 1 magnum.
2001-2004

good riddance regen, power drainer, armor lock, prowler, evade.

That is exactly what bothers me about it.

Well Halo has been the only FPS I have enjoyed this gen. It pains me that I really don't like Reach. I'll play here and there, but it just wasn't fun. I never felt a need to improve. At least with a ranking system the game would have been more tolerable for me. Halo 1 was just pure fun and it wasn't even online. i would play Halo 1 mp over Reach's any day. I think if Reach had better maps then maybe I would think better of it, but I don't like any of the maps in Reach.

1. Better have it or this game might turn out just like Reach did. Need something for people to want to crave to get and strive for. Should be based of Wins/Losses too IMO (Like Halo 2).
2. Forge looks awesome. Three different environments each with different textured pieces. I'm excited to see what maps get created. Hopefully lots more COLOR!
3. Can't say for sure yet. DMR looks better from gameplays. I'll know on Friday!

I really hope they pump out a quick TU with ranked MM.. Im not the most competitive or skilled player, but even I am upset they aren't in. Most of all, the competitive subset really needs something like this to anchor on to.

This x100

Imagine the fortifications from dominion making their way into Halo 5 firefight.

Build shield doors and turrets, call in airstrikes, ordnance or AI-controlled friendlies!

And while you're at it: take a look at Uncharted. Generator defense was fun, but I want more objectives in my firefight!

Also, firefight needs to be more large scale. Lost Platoon was fucking amazing.

Reach firefight maps were crap, there was nothing even remotely as good as the ODST ones.

The gameplay iself was also meh, mostly because the sense of danger was gone. ODST firefight was terrifying, I remember being holed up in the ONI building with three other guys and trying to get the endure (?) achievement. One of us went to pick up a friend in the middle of the match and we had to defend him for over half an hour until he finally returned. Most intense coop game I have ever played.

Although I have to say the red blinking and the near-death sound in ODST due to the black eye skull was aggravating. That was the single thing better in Reach than in ODST FF.

Another huge gripe with Reach: why the fuck could we not play firefight on the multiplayer maps and vice-versa?

I loved the Boneyard part in the campaign, why not put it in FF too? So ridiculous.
I get that some FF maps would not have worked well in MP, but every single MP map was in single player and had AI enemies on it, so it would've worked for FF too.

I agree with all of that above.. Reach FF was just not fun for me. I really hope FF comes back, but evolves and really fleshes itself out.

So how many games of Double XP does everyone have? I just redeemed my first codes today.

50. Im lucky to have a lot of friends who love the gamefuel flavor but don't have a 360 so they have just been passing em my way.

Agreed. I really wish it would have made a comeback alongside the Carbine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom