• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
But you don't. Each playlist has appropriate loadouts if you don't have any of your own. Loadouts are for customization and personalization, not power.
But those loadouts are still limited. If you really believed that loadouts in Halo 4 were for customization and personalization than everything would've been unlocked from the start. It's just another way to keep people hooked to the game longer and fact that even Halo - a franchise that always stood out to me because of its simplicity - has gone down this road is just incredibly sad. If there's one thing unHalo about Halo 4 to me it's the entire unlock and custom loadout system, no doubt about that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
But you don't. Each playlist has appropriate loadouts if you don't have any of your own. Loadouts are for customization and personalization, not power.

So there are preset loadouts with weapon that you unlock later for your customizable loadouts?

That's great. I thought I was going to have to play with the AR until I locked a real rifle lol.

feel

Not sure that you do...

Do you believe these are all successful IPs currently and in the exact state they were in back then?
Shadowrun aside which I haven't played much, I believe they're rewarding multiplayer experiences that rely on their balanced, deep and competitive core gameplay and not in outside elements to hook players up, and they will never age for me. What is marketable to the taste of current A.D.D. generation of young gamers, as vital as it is for projects to even get as far as greenlit, doesn't interest me since I don't possess shares from any video-game company.

Trey

So there are preset loadouts with weapon that you unlock later for your customizable loadouts?

That's great. I thought I was going to have to play with the AR until I locked a real rifle lol.

Yep. Each gametype has tailored loadouts that are always available to everyone. Then you can have your personal loadout that is accessible in every gametype.

So it goes:

Gametype Relevant loadout 1
Gametype Relevant loadout 2
Gametype Relevant loadout 3
Your shit

Woorloog

Banned
only if it is done like Mass Effect(talking about the original game not the series).

Yeah, no. More RPG, less shittyness Mass Effect 1 exhibited. If it must be action RPG, then build upon ME2/3, those at least work as shooters.
That said i'm not really sure how Halo RPG should be approached. Turn-based? Real-time with pause? When i say RPG, i really mean skills should have effect, they should determine whether you hit etc, not like ME1's half-assed system (if players aim, then their aim should be used to determine hits; if skill determines, then the game should do all the aiming).
Actually, now that i think of this, i don't want a Halo RPG, i doubt it would be something i'd like unless i were making it...

Cover based third person Halo shooter would be nice too.

Sanjuro

Shadowrun aside which I haven't played much, I believe they're rewarding multiplayer experiences that rely on their balanced, deep and competitive core gameplay and not in outside elements to hook players up, and they will never age for me. What is marketable to the taste of current A.D.D. generation of young gamers, as vital as it is for projects to even get as far as greenlit, doesn't interest me since I don't possess shares from any video-game company.

Hit the nail on the head with the later. At least you are acknowledging why they do it. Keeps us separate from the ranting YouTube culture.

I'm in the same boat with Shadowrun. I never believed it was anything special, just kept it in there as that was one of the mentioned titles.

Blueblur1

I don't see how that's lazy - was there anything wrong with the visual effect? It's such a minor thing - It's probably the last thing I would complain about.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" plus it's such a minor detail. No one is going to really care about that.

I read your posts and gave it some thought. And what I realized was that I subconsciously associate that visual effect and any other from Reach with the grainy film filter and older looking tech like the Reach Banshee. It seems outdated and appropriate to the time Reach took place.

With all the new visual effects that the Infinity is supposed to be responsible for, like effects when personal ordnance is marked on the ground right before it drops, the Reach teleportation effect just seems out of place. It doesn't jive with the visual overhaul and the fact that they didn't bother to change it seems lazy to me.

So how many games of Double XP does everyone have? I just redeemed my first codes today.

I'm up to 15 matches now.

u4iX

I asked a lot of questions...

What factored in to cutting features that had been around since Halo 3, why were those decisions made, and why were they not vocalized early on to the community?

Theater Mode for Campaign is something a lot of people enjoyed, so what factored in to its removal? Was it an issue of technical ability, the updated and increased graphics being a limiting factor in the use of Theater Mode for Campaign, or was it just an issue of time?

If it was an issue of time, what medium took precedent over features like Campaign Theater Mode, watching Theater films with more than one person, or even things like a ranking system similar to Halo 2 or Halo 3, where the visual ranks directly correlated to a players skill in combat, as opposed to a solely EXP, or experience, based system that truly only reflects time played.

What can we expect as a response to community interaction and implementation too? If CTF ends up being an unpopular playlist due to the changes in its mechanics, will we see those mechanics fixed in a similar manner to Halo: Reach's Title Update?

Can we expect the implementation of features like Clans, Clan Ranks, Clan Groups on HaloWaypoint, or more robust features like a Spectator Mode, or a ranking system derived from player skill and not time spent earning EXP, visible next to your gamertag in matchmaking?

Clan support was a feature that got many players into the competitive spirit of Halo multiplayer in a challenging yet rewarding way. Why has this feature died, or rather been missing in action, since Halo 2? Was it ever considered to be implemented in Halo 4, and what was the deciding factor in it not being included?

<3

u4iX

So nervous! The ranking system or lack thereof will make or break the multiplayer experience for me.

Watching last weeks State of the Game brought up an interesting point.

The ranks in Starcraft 2 aren't actually there for the highest tiered competitive player. The highest tiered competitive player plays the game for the gameplay. The enjoy playing the game for the competitive environment the game alone provides.

The ranks actually provide more incentive, more interest, and more retention for those players who aren't the ultra, high tier, hardcore competitive player, but the player who aspired to improve their gameplay and looks for a way to quantify that.

Just like lifting weights, or getting marks in school, people want a way to SEE that they're improving and that their hard work is paying off. It shows your SKILL progression and not just the amount of hours you've put in grinding away at EXP.

u4iX you know those won't be answered.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I asked,

Hi!

Can you talk about what criteria matchmaking uses to find suitable teammates and opponents? What does the system prioritize? Location, connection, skill...etc?

Thank you,

Tashi

Damn, I should have asked about host choosing and switching!

IHaveIce

Banned
I think you about covered everything that I was thinking about posting. Hopefully, they'll notice some of the more popular guys from here on GAF and get us answers.
Post it. The more the better.
u4iX you know those won't be answered.
Better than being silent about it.

"Ask any question!"*

*Will avoid the hard ones.

Yeah that's probably how it will be:(

Someone ask who the people in the LE score card are.

I want to hear the canon of Tashi!
Private Tashi is new in the Spartan 4 program, he is in it for about 3 weeks, he needs to be carried by the other members of Team CASTLE, but he is an ambitious guy, his idol is the great Hamish Beamish

Don't know posted or not: Paper M6G Magnum sidearm. From Official Xbox HK.

PDF download: http://preorder.xboxconnect.net/halo4_preorder/downloads/

7693d37cjw1dyamkkw9vaj.jpg

CyReN

They have been asked. Every day or week right here and other places. If they wanted to answer them they would have by now.

Maybe it's like a big surprise or something with MLG, you know like on tv when the guy has a crummy day at work and throughout the day for his birthday but when he gets home and all his friends, co-workers, s/o are there to surprise him and greet him with cake and stuff.

right..

tumblr_lq3ashzqJl1qht847.gif

Maybe it's like a big surprise or something with MLG, you know like on tv when the guy has a crummy day at work and throughout the day for his birthday but when he gets home and all his friends, co-workers, s/o are there to surprise him and greet him with cake and stuff.

right..

tumblr_lq3ashzqJl1qht847.gif

That'd actually be awesome, to rollout Halo 4 Ranking Details at MLG Dallas.

Booshka

Hit the nail on the head with the later. At least you are acknowledging why they do it. Keeps us separate from the ranting YouTube culture.

I'm in the same boat with Shadowrun. I never believed it was anything special, just kept it in there as that was one of the mentioned titles.

John Howard and Teleport.

u4iX

John Howard and Teleport.

John Howard is number one on my Halo 5 wish list.

[22:07] <Kimona> <Hitzel> Here's a question for John Howard:
[22:07] <Kimona> <Hitzel> Hardcore Halo players agree that the Halo 1 Pistol is the "greatest mistake" to ever grace a videogame. Is there anything in Shadowrun that wasn't used as intended that improved the game as a whole?

[22:08] <JohnHoward> The Halo 1 pistol wasn't a mistake...
[22:08] <JohnHoward> It was also intended to be the ultimate hold out weapon...
[22:09] <JohnHoward> I always believe that balance is about giving each weapon / ability / whatever it's own perfect situation.
[22:10] <JohnHoward> That said, there's always stuff that gets used as it wasn't intended...
[22:10] <JohnHoward> Using Gust to break your fall.
[22:11] <JohnHoward> Chucking an Anti-magic generator at a wall just before you teleport through it so your attacker can't follow you
[22:11] <JohnHoward> Even using Teleport as a super-jump wasn't something we thought about before we implemented it.
[22:12] <JohnHoward> The amount of cool emergent stuff in Shadowrun has been one of the most entertaining thing about working on the game.
http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/52738-john-howard-comments-on-the-halo-1-pistol/

He needs full reign though. If you get John Howard to design the multiplayer... you give John Howard the multiplayer.

What changes can players expect from their normal multiplayer experience when they play 2 player splitscreen over Live with the below example in mind? Also, how does catering to 2 players on splitscreen change things like audio cues (Steitzer) and the many visual cues for things like the white text in the middle, UI overlays for objectives and the feed for kills?

In Reach for example;
-Players don't see a lot of aesthetic objects on maps.
-Callouts don't appear under the radar.
-The draw distance is reduced by a bit (far more so for 4 players).
-Steitzer cues are stacked. (Easiest example is two players on a screen are on different teams in a flag game and a flag is stolen)

Most importantly, Reach's Challenge and Investment systems were drastically affected too. Players would not see the post-game credit allocation screen. Challenges obtained during the game were not made visible to either player. It was almost impossible to tell if we obtained a jackpot or how many credits we were winning. Getting a commendation while being Player 2 would block your screen to silly proportions too.

I ask this because Halo 4 has a far greater focus on progressing your Spartan and getting info about Ordnance on screen. I am not talking about one Tag and a guest. I'm saying two Gold XBL tags as that is how I've played Halo for the last few years.

Long post I know, but I'd like to hear some reasoning as to how they went about culling assets to cater to more players.

Cheers.

Chances of this being answered? Slim enough I'd say.

zap

I read your posts and gave it some thought. And what I realized was that I subconsciously associate that visual effect and any other from Reach with the grainy film filter and older looking tech like the Reach Banshee. It seems outdated and appropriate to the time Reach took place.

With all the new visual effects that the Infinity is supposed to be responsible for, like effects when personal ordnance is marked on the ground right before it drops, the Reach teleportation effect just seems out of place. It doesn't jive with the visual overhaul and the fact that they didn't bother to change it seems lazy to me.

OK, I can see where you're coming from with that explanation. When i read your post it seemed like a very odd, tiny thing to call them out on.

...I wish I could love a game this much. Good grief

Halo is serious business round these parts.

FyreWulff

One big thing I'm annoyed about in recent Halos: in Halo 2 (I think Halo 1 asweel, been forever) pressing start and going through menus only affected your side of the screen or your quadrant. So it was easy to pick up a controller mid-game, switch everything to what you needed, and go without interrupting other people.

In Halo 3 onwards, pressing start takes over the entire screen and stops everyone else, making it much harder to do pick-up-and-play LANs/playing, since people get annoyed if someone wants to take over.

Pop

Wow, they can't ignore it this time or go with "we talk later about it", half of the questions are about ranks.

I have a feeling they're going to come clean about it. "Halo 4 will not support skill ranks, but will match players based on skill"

So nervous! The ranking system or lack thereof will make or break the multiplayer experience for me.

"Ask any question!"*

*Will avoid the hard ones.

Sigh :(

I'm nervous to hear about the skill ranking. I figure they will answer it this time and stop dodging the question. They knew it was coming when they decided to answer questions. To get it answered this late is still disheartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom