• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
there, i think thats everything that was a one and done.

RIP needle rifle, grenade launcher, focus rifle, plasma launcher, plasma repeater, revenant, falcon.
2010-2012

RIP mauler, spike grenades, firebomb, flamethrower(sorta), missle pod, trip mine, bubble shield, chopper, hornet.
2007-2010

RIP spectre.
2004-2007

RIP halo 1 magnum.
2001-2004

good riddance regen, power drainer, armor lock, prowler.

the plasma launcher was great too. should have replaced the laser... though halo 4 seems none to short on super power weapons, so maybe it wouldnt have fitted in.

343 are very lucky to be following a comparatively poor Bungie Halo effort. Reach set the bar so low in some respects that there are hundreds of posts spanning multiple OT's praising 343 for something as banal as being able to jump higher. Imagine if Bungie's last Halo had been received as on par with Halo 3 and they nailed the magic that made the first 3 games so universally appealing; I don't think 343 would be able to 'just' nail the core gameplay for it to be enough, particularly with the news that MS spent more on it than any of the previous Halo games.

Note that I don't personally think Reach is a bad game. I think it's a very good game under particular circumstances but one that has too many problems in the wider scheme of MM, loadout management, trueskill and map deficiencies.

I like zero bloom Reach. I think if that was the base gameplay and they had better maps armor lock gone and better balance of AA I would like Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
I highly recommend you to watch a guide for the Library, because you can skip some encounters, by going around them or by just standing quite in a corner. If you don't find anyone to do them, hit me up in a couple of days.

Yeah, i know quite many ways to skip encounters in the level but those damn Rocket Floods... I got nailed by one due to bad luck.

I know i can't do the Legendary under 30 min one alone. Don't think i've done any Halo CE mission under 30 min on Legendary ever, though i've never really tried to do them as fast as possible.

The no-deaths one i can do if i play as player two while leaving my own account just standing there, that's the way i did the Two Betrayals' achievements. But this is a boring method and and slightly risky too, since the Flood spawn behind the players at certain points in the Library.

Hmm. 3 days to do all the achievements, my bro's getting AC3 so he'll be playing on 360 afterwards... not that he'll play it all the time. Would be nice to have Anniversary maxed out before Halo 4... and if i do, i might even trade it it on for Halo 4. I'm starting to think i've played enough Halo CE for a lifetime.

FyreWulff

The teleport effect was a nice little touch in Reach. Instead of objects just *POIT*ing into existence, they seemingly materialized so 1) it doesn't look so janky/videogamey and 2) actually serves as a visual callout that a weapon/object has spawned.

The teleport effect was a nice little touch in Reach. Instead of objects just *POIT*ing into existence, they seemingly materialized so 1) it doesn't look so janky/videogamey and 2) actually serves as a visual callout that a weapon/object has spawned.

now they drop to the ground in giant drop pods that announce their presence to the entire map with a loud *whish-bang* and a huge persistent icon.

evolution!

Booshka

Well Halo has been the only FPS I have enjoyed this gen. It pains me that I really don't like Reach. I'll play here and there, but it just wasn't fun. I never felt a need to improve. At least with a ranking system the game would have been more tolerable for me. Halo 1 was just pure fun and it wasn't even online. i would play Halo 1 mp over Reach's any day. I think if Reach had better maps then maybe I would think better of it, but I don't like any of the maps in Reach.

That's because in Halo 1 they only had to focus on the gameplay, levels and perfecting the balance of mechanics. When so much emphasis is put on ranking, player progression and filling up bars, I think the gameplay suffers. The best shooters in my opinion are devoid of rank, Quake 3 Arena, Counter-Strike, Shadowrun and Halo CE.

It's a total fantasy, but I would imagine that Shooters would be better if the focus was on gameplay, level design, and building a killer netcode for the online MP. Game makers and players keep perpetuating the need to fill up bars though, so it will never be like this going forward, and I think FPS as a genre in general will continue to suffer because of it.

Sanjuro

I gave it to nillapuddin because he gave me a Planetside 2 code.

image.php

Sanjuro

That's because in Halo 1 they only had to focus on the gameplay, levels and perfecting the balance of mechanics. When so much emphasis is put on ranking, player progression and filling up bars, I think the gameplay suffers. The best shooters in my opinion are devoid of rank, Quake 3 Arena, Counter-Strike, Shadowrun and Halo CE.

It's a total fantasy, but I would imagine that Shooters would be better if the focus was on gameplay, level design, and building a killer netcode for the online MP. Game makers and players keep perpetuating the need to fill up bars though, so it will never be like this going forward, and I think FPS as a genre in general will continue to suffer because of it.

What do all those games have in common? They are dated.

Rev3rb

Yep, totally believe this. When developers focus on high quality, enjoyable gameplay, it trumps the need for any sort of ranks to keep people intrigued.

The Shadow never made its way outside of Halo 2. And even then you couldn't drive it, which was disappointing. I was looking forward to using it ever since I saw it in the E32K3 presentation.

Overdoziz

Banned
It still saddens me that Halo has turned into a game where you have to unlock weapons, AAs and all the other crap that they've thrown into the game just to justify the entire unlock system.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It still saddens me that Halo has turned into a game where you have to unlock weapons, AAs and all the other crap that they've thrown into the game just to justify the entire unlock system.

As long as there are shields and hipfire, I'll stay on board.

But yeah, it does suck.

This is what Reach lacks. At least with the ranking system I would have played it more is all I am saying.

Sanjuro

They should just give people the option to use Microsoft Points to unlock everything individually if they wish. Works for EA!

Don't want to level for shit? Buy it.

BigShow36

I enjoy leveling of any kind, just could careless about unlocking crap.

I enjoy leveling that is based on skill and wins, not just playing a lot. I couldn't care less about unlocks either, because I usually find what I like and stick with it.

feel

Quake 3 Arena - December 2, 1999
Counter-Strike - November 8, 2000
Halo: CE - November 15, 2001
Shadowrun - May 29, 2007
I see.

Slayer Pro's going to be great to scratch that classic itch, but considering how good of a job 343's done with 'their' version of Halo (infinity slayer, core mechanics), I see myself mostly in Infinity Slayer, Dominion, CTF, and Oddball.
Bookmarking this post for future reference.
Kidding!
Maybe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

But you don't. Each playlist has appropriate loadouts if you don't have any of your own. Loadouts are for customization and personalization, not power.

Slayer Pro's going to be great to scratch that classic itch, but considering how good of a job 343's done with 'their' version of Halo (infinity slayer, core mechanics), I see myself mostly in Infinity Slayer, Dominion, CTF, and Oddball.
Yeah I see myself playing all game types this time around. Will not touch griftball. Might give infection a try or two, but that is about it.

Rev3rb

Yep, definitely not limiting myself to slayer pro, when there's all these new game mechanics they've implemented.

I really want a Halo RPG. With co-op mode to play the story mode too (where all players choose their class and character etc stuff, no clones unless they play as clones...).
Inventory management, skill points, armor and weapon modifications, dialogue, vehicles.
Classes=Marine, Spartan, ODST, ONI Spook, others?
Expansions add Covenant and Innie stories.

BTW, Post-Halo 3 Haloverse would suit a Halo MMO (canonical info, non-canonical events). We have a mixed independed planet (probably more of them), Venize, the Covenant species are independed mostly now, humans have factions... definetly would suit a MMO, as long as WoW-type is not copied.

only if it is done like Mass Effect(talking about the original game not the series).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Can you imagine the fury and complete sense of being conned some players would have had if they first discovered the game didn't have Campaign theatre on launch day after their first playthrough? It'd be like being told you have clamydia then delaying to tell all your recent sexual partners until they'd gone infertile. Nobody wants to make that phonecall but you have to do it out of decency.
...I wish I could love a game this much. Good grief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom