• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Ask a Question" thread on Waypoint is doing a few things.

A. Moving faster than HaloGAF at the moment
B. Proving there are a LOT of unanswered questions
C. Proving the marketing hasn't answered some long asked questions

D. Showing that many of the fans care about visual Skill Ranks
E. Breaking Waypoint (more than usual)

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1600399_Ask-a-Question-for-the-Halo-Bulletin.aspx

ah0qW.gif

We're playing Rumble Pit right now, I don't think anyone wants to watch that lol

I'm watching some Sons of Anarchy at the moment but I should be on later if you guys are up for a dual stream. Send me a message at "YourExWife" since the FL is full if you're down and I'll hit you up when I'm on.

The "Ask a Question" thread on Waypoint is doing a few things.

A. Moving faster than HaloGAF at the moment
B. Proving there are a LOT of unanswered questions
C. Proving the marketing hasn't answered some long asked questions
D. Showing that many of the fans care about visual Skill Ranks
E. Breaking Waypoint (more than usual)

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1600399_Ask-a-Question-for-the-Halo-Bulletin.aspx

Did anyone ask if there's still input lag when playing coop offhost?

I'm trying to grab some of the commendations I never grabbed on my way through before, like Flawless Cowboy. It's ridiculous how easy the Winter Contingency exploit is for Demon/Flawless Cowboy.

I'd feel bad, but I just want more credits.

Fuchsdh

I'm trying to grab some of the commendations I never grabbed on my way through before, like Flawless Cowboy. It's ridiculous how easy the Winter Contingency exploit is for Demon/Flawless Cowboy.

I'd feel bad, but I just want more credits.

Pretty much. But I don't feel bad, because who the hell was going to play that much anyhow.

I know we've got a hell of a lot more commendations in Halo 4, but I hope they are each a bit easier to max out and just promote more varied play. The ones in Reach I took a look at and once I hit bronze I said "no way that's going to get any further."

malfcn

After the "all digital" LE - What would y'all have rather had?

$70 or $80?
Includes Steelbook
Includes Skins / Emblems
Includes FuD?

What configuration sounds best? I really like the LE case. But $99 for mostly digital stuff and some scraps of paper sound off. Especially how Reach and Annie have handled DLC. (I remember Halo 3 having better DLC rotation - I never see anything but Forge in Reach).
Then again, I did buy the Epic Edition for Gears 3. And while it is pretty boss, I did suffer some guilt and buyers remorse for how much I paid (especially after how badly it sank online

--

Also, Fast Track + Double XP = Win?

Did you know that Designing women was on for SEVEN seasons? Designing Women. Seven seasons. And we can't get ONE Halo movie.

Fracas! Save me from Julia Sugarbaker. Get the stream up!

I JUST FUCKING NOTICED

We can have a legit instagib gametype now, with the addition of the Binary Rifle + Bottomless clip!

Holy shit yesssss!!!! UT 99 nostalgia!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can we post impressions of the game, here? I have a legit copy I got from a broken street date, if that makes a difference.

Karl2177

Can we post impressions of the game, here? I have a legit copy I got from a broken street date, if that makes a difference.

There is a spoiler thread, so if it is campaign keep it in that. Multiplayer and Forge are all ears here.

EDIT: If you can, verify with a receipt of some kind.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
There is a spoiler thread, so if it is campaign keep it in that. Multiplayer and Forge are all ears here.

EDIT: If you can verify with a receipt of some kind.

Okay, thanks! Can you link me to the spoiler thread?

Anyhoo, here are my extremely early impressions of the MP - only about 40 minutes of playtime. And for those keeping tally - I really liked Halo, absolutely loved H2 and would consider it one of my favorite games ever, was disappointed by 3, and just casually played Reach and wasn't much of a fan because of awful maps.

I'm cutting out my SP statements from a post elsewhere, so sorry if my syntax is a little goofy:

First thing I noticed - no instruction manual or even a slip. Just a measly Gold Trial and that was it. Lame. I hate that.

Booted up the game - and man, the production values are immediately apparent. The Title Screen just oodles style, and the menu system is very slick. The loading screens have a great look, too. Also, the different modes seem to open with short little CG segments, and they really do a great job of setting up the feel of what you're jumping into.

Holy crap, what a massive graphical step up from the other Halo games. I was someone who was incredibly disappointed by Halo 3 - I felt it was just a small step up from Halo 2. Reach looked a little better, but the framerate was very dodgy. But Halo 4 really does look great. No, it's not quite the looker as Gears 3 or Killzone 3 - but you have to remember, the scale her is significantly greater. My biggest beef with the previous titles was the horrible jaggies littering the screen. Unfortuantely, they're far from completely gone, but it's a massive improvement from Reach. Furthermore, the framerate, at least early on, really holds up well in the action. It feels like a solid 30. I doubt they're hitting quite that - but as someone who finds framerates very important, this game hasn't disappointed from the get-go, at least.

That said, the textures are pretty low-res. Rocks look okay, but ground textures and "crates and boxes" are very plain and blurry up close. Also, I've noticed a very slight "pop-in" on the textures when quickly moving and looking for it - it's not Halo 2 or Rage bad - honestly, it's not bad at all; but it's there.

Multiplayer - Again, very slick menu system. I like the sequence of finding a game and jumping in. So far, I've only played three maps - but already, they seem like a giant upgrade from Reach. Multiple chokepoints, a natural flow the action, and multiple ways to tackle an enemy in any location. Also, there was always a sense of direction. I'm hopeful I didn't just get a rare taste of the good maps - I hope my first impression with all of them is this solid - as the crappy Reach maps are my biggest reason for not playing that game.

Weapons are great, and nothing has felt too overpowered this early on - but really, it's WAAAAAYYYYYY too early for me to stand by that. I can't say I've felt cheated yet, but remember, it's only been a couple games.

The sound is greatly improved. Just fyi; it's a step-up, IMO.

Everything moves faster. The pace is faster. The respawns are closer to the action. The reloads at least feel faster. The vehicles are definitely faster. This definitely feels Call of Duty-ified. Trust me, I'm the LAST person that would be excited for that - but honestly, I gotta say it works pretty well. The action feels quick. But with that said, I hope that the game doesn't lose it's deliberately slow and methodical pace - a staple of the series and the reason I so much loved Objective-type games on Halo and Halo 2.

My big concern is if MP will still have that great, teamwork Halo strategy of the games of old. Nothing was like a team working together, strategically, in a slow and decisive pace to capture a flag or arm a bomb minutes into sudden death. Having a Warhog driver at the ready - a teammate holding the clock by hiding near an objective - a couple guys giving directions from above - while others sneak in through an unwatched corner of the base - that kind of teamwork I'm desperately hopeful has not been cut in favor of a faster moving game.

EDIT: Sorry, don't have a receipt, but I can snap pics of the game from any angle if someone needs that:

8126639379_fcd6fa0d23_c.jpg

The fact is, the LE is 15 dollars more than standard + dlc.

you either want FUD, in game stuff and nerd papers or you dont.

If you do, 15 bucks is a fucking easy sell.

For me it's pretty much the same. I'll be gettng it at Gamestop. They are selling the LE for €90 ($116). The normal edition is on their site for €55 ($71). To get 2100msp I'd be looking at dropping €25 so that makes it €80. €10 is about $12. Same diff. Surprised that works out so well lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom