• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
43zjr.jpg

PFIV1.png

Thanks for the dual stream HaloGAF. I award 1 point to ExWife's stream for featuring good gameplay, 1 point to Monsterfracas's stream for good voice volume, and -10 points to sltpoison for having a Sidekick.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to come in here and post a fake article about how Halo 4 doesn't have four player co-op, but I figured that'd be too mean.

This is the biggest decider for me as to how good SpOps will be. I gotta be realistic and expect that if they had changed the netcode to be more like MP, they would have told us by now :/

That sucks. I was playing some Reach campaign with a friend yesterday and it was miserable. I got the four screen freezes due to lag (I think...happens every once in a while) so it migrates host to him. His connection is fine for pretty much anything as far as I could tell, but it quickly went bad for me. Extremely delayed movement, a delay for my character to stop moving, almost impossible to scope in/out, etc...

It's total bullshit. We played Gears 3 coop, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, MW3 Special Ops, RE6 campaign and Mercs, and more with no problems.

If this isn't resolved I'm going to just say fuck it and play campaign by myself on day 1. Games are only fun when they work properly. Online coop shouldn't even be in the game with this horrible lag.

GhaleonEB

Mmm.. do we actually know for sure if the game has coop? :/

I think it's been mentioned at some point. I have not read anything about it in a long time, though. Can't imagine it's cut, however. Spartan Ops is online co-op, including matchmaking, and they share engines.

We call them masochists here.

But joke aside Reach can be fun sometimes.

Easy, find an independent video game store and ask for it.

:/ lol. Man I wish it was Nov 6th. I already payed off my LE game and LE console I just want em already haha

how much you think people would pay for it on craigslist, could probably make a killing if you can get your hands on it hah

FyreWulff

Please elaborate.

Instead of networking 40 AI (Reach's limit) with the bandwidth of 40 players (which is what it'd cost to network a fully realized AI under the multiplayer model), you network just the button presses of the 4 players and let the boxes simulate the AI themselves.

For comparison, a 40-player Source server generally requires 3MB/sec upload speed minimum to work in a playable manner. Most people's connections don't exceed 1MB, and their Xbox is not the exclusive user of the connection.

Even if the connection is that fast, a 10+ minute game of Halo Nonlockstep CoOp/Firefight will consume nearly 1GB of bandwidth at that speed - some people have monthly caps not far above that.

The upside to the lockstep model is you can have 40 AI or 3,000 AI and it's still the same amount of bandwidth, because of only button presses and other minimal information being networked. To make it not be lockstep and not have a button delay, they'd have to drastically reduce the amount of AI. And remember that vehicles in Halo count as two AIs.

It wouldn't really be that fun to play co-op against 4 grunts and an Elite driving a ghost at most at a time.

zap

Instead of networking 40 AI (Reach's limit) with the bandwidth of 40 players (which is what it'd cost to network a fully realized AI under the multiplayer model), you network just the button presses of the 4 players and let the boxes simulate the AI themselves.

For comparison, a 40-player Source server generally requires 3MB/sec upload speed minimum to work in a playable manner. Most people's connections don't exceed 1MB, and their Xbox is not the exclusive user of the connection.

Even if the connection is that fast, a 10+ minute game of Halo Nonlockstep CoOp/Firefight will consume nearly 1GB of bandwidth at that speed - some people have monthly caps not far above that.

The upside to the lockstep model is you can have 40 AI or 3,000 AI and it's still the same amount of bandwidth, because of only button presses and other minimal information being networked. To make it not be lockstep and not have a button delay, they'd have to drastically reduce the amount of AI. And remember that vehicles in Halo count as two AIs.

It wouldn't really be that fun to play co-op against 4 grunts and an Elite driving a ghost at most at a time.

How do games like Gears do Horde and Co-op? I feel like they use the MP model, it's always been silky smooth for me playing with Americans, much better than the half second of input lag when playing co-op Halo.

How do games like Gears do Horde and Co-op? I feel like they use the MP model, it's always been silky smooth for me playing with Americans, much better than the half second of input lag when playing co-op Halo.

Gears usually only has around 5 AI in any given encounter, some times it can be up to 10.

Raide

Was thinking about asking a question for the next update but I will only ask questions about Forge that I know the answer to.

Just watching those Spanish Halo4 streams. Looking good!

Raide

I wonder if they will add more Forge environments down the line. Nah, I know that won't happen.

I can see them adding the new maps and saying "You can Forge them!" but its still not what people want. I would rather have more Forge items to play with over more environments. Making maps for the default maps it better than splitting everyone up by making them on the later DLC ones.

So this is a pretty exciting offer...
Someone is selling Halo 4 right now for 65$... delivery estimate Nov. 1st with standard shipping.
Only 9 left so I'll link in email tags...
I'm not sure if it is legit.. but it seems really possible.
Quote to reveal the website.

Description reads that it will ship within 48hrs of street date and not prior.

Ken

So this is a pretty exciting offer...
Someone is selling Halo 4 right now for 65$... delivery estimate Nov. 1st with standard shipping.
Only 9 left so I'll link in email tags...
I'm not sure if it is legit.. but it seems really possible.
Quote to reveal the website.

ITEM DESCRIPTION -HALO 4 (XBOX 360) $64.88

STREET DATED ITEM
This item ships within 24-48 hours from the USA street date. It cannot be shipped prior to the scheduled release date. *Please check with us before purchasing if you have any questions or are unsure of the USA street date.

...I wish I could love a game this much. Good grief

halo: serious business.

People took a post in which I said 343 had chlamydia seriously? Internet forums: serious business. I thought it was a humorous analogy!

Question for Waypoint: Given 343's assurances that skill matching is prioritised when the game makes a match, how is this compatible with a drop in/drop out system which presumably is designed to move new players into an active game fairly rapidly to avoid an imbalanced sag in the team sizes?

How will the game deal with blackscreens with the inevitable in and out of players in an 8v8 setting? My understanding is that host is in part chosen depending on their equidistance to all of the players in a given game; with the players continually changing and therefore the location of players changing, will host flip around to account for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom