• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know there could be multiple Firefight type missions through Spop's - so it may still scratch that itch.

Well, there probably won't be infinite firefight. SpOps missions have a clear goal.
Damn, ODST FF was just so good. Reach had traces of greatness on the Installation 04 FF map, with the ODSTs, the hog and the pelican, but it was still not as good as ODST.

Raide

Considering how watered down Reach's firefight felt, even with all its options, compared to ODST's FF, I'm happy to get something new. Also, I'm hoping having Spartan Ops for the Firefight-style missions will mean that the Halo 4 campaign proper doesn't have as many of them--with a few exceptions, they usually felt out of place and poor in the Reach campaign (when they appeared in ODST they were better done; see, ONI Alpha Site.)

Thinking about all the new perks etc, it could lead to some very interesting FF engagements. They could do some interesting stuff with mashing FF with Dominion and have the team upgrading defences, ordering in particular vehicles/base upgrades, as well as personal Ordinance to shift the battles in their favour.

Also, 8 player FF please.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
*Looks confused*
And they said you were the odd one.
jgwlR.png

Yeah...sorry about that. Rusty as hell.
Smh, scrub.

My impression of SpOps is that it will really extend the excitement of new story content. You have this campaign which most of us will steam through in the first few days but then you have new content each week. I was pumped every week to watch the latest FUD. I can't wait to see the scenarios we'll experience in SpOps.

Nirvana

Considering how watered down Reach's firefight felt, even with all its options, compared to ODST's FF, I'm happy to get something new. Also, I'm hoping having Spartan Ops for the Firefight-style missions will mean that the Halo 4 campaign proper doesn't have as many of them--with a few exceptions, they usually felt out of place and poor in the Reach campaign (when they appeared in ODST they were better done; see, ONI Alpha Site.)

Despite Reach's Firefight being essentially updated in all the right ways, I think it was just a lack of generally good maps that hurt it. All of the ODST maps had properly defensible positions, Windward was an amazing example of this. Getting the Endure achievement with 3 buddies on that map was gloriously fun and likely one of my best online Halo experiences to date.

I hope they bring back Vidmasters and make them as hard, if not harder than the ODST ones. So many hours of fun.

Despite Reach's Firefight being essentially updated in all the right ways, I think it was just a lack of generally good maps that hurt it. All of the ODST maps had properly defensible positions, Windward was an amazing example of this. Getting the Endure achievement with 3 buddies on that map was gloriously fun and likely one of my best online Halo experiences to date.

I hope they bring back Vidmasters and make them as hard, if not harder than the ODST ones. So many hours of fun.

My impression of ODST's maps was/is based on how fun they were on solo. Basically, everything except Alpha Site sucks camel dick.

Fuchsdh

My impression of ODST's maps was/is based on how fun they were on solo. Basically, everything except Alpha Site sucks camel dick.

Well, yeah. Solo Alpha Site is the only map you have a chance. But FF was a coop mode. I had tons of fun even with random European strangers through achievement websites--delegating roles (designated Splaser dude to nail Wraiths as they got dropped off in the preserve), letting people know the positions of enemies, etc. There really weren't any *bad* maps, although there were definitely ones with more fun enemy routes and options for how to defend.

I think part of the issue is that the enemies in Reach FF aren't aggressive enough--you can hold out solo on a whole mess of the maps, and they aren't built with the same sorts of chokes and zones. Corvette and Installation 04 are the only maps that really work for me, the rest are just middling, and then you have things like the Nightfall one which are just a pain.

Well, yeah. Solo Alpha Site is the only map you have a chance. But FF was a coop mode. I had tons of fun even with random European strangers through achievement websites--delegating roles (designated Splaser dude to nail Wraiths as they got dropped off in the preserve), letting people know the positions of enemies, etc. There really weren't any *bad* maps, although there were definitely ones with more fun enemy routes and options for how to defend.

I think part of the issue is that the enemies in Reach FF aren't aggressive enough--you can hold out solo on a whole mess of the maps, and they aren't built with the same sorts of chokes and zones. Corvette and Installation 04 are the only maps that really work for me, the rest are just middling, and then you have things like the Nightfall one which are just a pain.

Actually, I could hold out for a reasonably long period of time on Crater, Last Exit, and Security Zone- it just wasn't much fun.

Installation 04 is terrible solo, the POA one is the best. And Waterfront is only good for Gruntpocalypse (no Jackals on the cliffs).

blinkz

I always found Lost Platoon to be the most enjoyable. although the Net-code in ODST firefight seemed worse than any online multiplayer I have ever played.

Actually, I could hold out for a reasonably long period of time on Crater, Last Exit, and Security Zone- it just wasn't much fun.

Installation 04 is terrible solo, the POA one is the best. And Waterfront is only good for Gruntpocalypse (no Jackals on the cliffs).

ODST Coop FF was a ton better than solo and coop Reach FF.

willow ve

Although the netcode was frustrating I found ODST firefight to be much more enjoyable. The pure survival aspect of it was well done. In Reach by the time you started to feel pressure the match was over.

The length of each ODST round (infinite essentially) was key to the game. Add in drop out and a matchmaking system and it would have been golden.

Arnie

My impression of SpOps is that it will really extend the excitement of new story content. You have this campaign which most of us will steam through in the first few days but then you have new content each week. I was pumped every week to watch the latest FUD. I can't wait to see the scenarios we'll experience in SpOps.

I really hope that's the case, and that's what I'm expecting.

What I'm cautious about though is if it's just a load of semi-connected set pieces stitched together with audio, like a radio transmission over coms, and the odd piece of CG here and there. The quality of Spops, and specifically how well it manages to resemble that serialised TV drama feel is resting on it's narrative delivery. It needs to resemble a singleplayer campaign when stitched together, and not a bunch of Firefight/press the switch set pieces embellished by trite narrative devices.

TheOddOne

I really hope that's the case, and that's what I'm expecting.

What I'm cautious about though is if it's just a load of semi-connected set pieces stitched together with audio, like a radio transmission over coms, and the odd piece of CG here and there. The quality of Spops, and specifically how well it manages to resemble that serialised TV drama feel is resting on it's narrative delivery. It needs to resemble a singleplayer campaign when stitched together, and not a bunch of Firefight/press the switch set pieces embellished by trite narrative devices.
Yeah, I echo these statements too. Also, I hope the missions don't all take place on Requiem.

Yeah, I echo these statements too. Also, I hope the missions don't all take place on Requiem.

Requiem is "their thing". Just like the Infinity is "their thing". I think that, in this instance as in so many others, 343's paranoia about Bungie is going to make them refuse to touch anything Bungie created, in this case possible places or scenarios out in the wider Halo universe.
And I don't think they're going to bother coming up with a brand new planet or such just for Spartan Ops.

feel

Found some cunts running around with (supposedly) Halo 4 spoilers in their handles in a TF2 server last night. Zero fucks were given.

I don't think I can get spoiled short of someone making me watch a cutscene at gunpoint, I just assume everything I read is fake garbage.

willow ve

Requiem is "their thing". Just like the Infinity is "their thing". I think that, in this instance as in so many others, 343's paranoia about Bungie is going to make them refuse to touch anything Bungie created, in this case possible places or scenarios out in the wider Halo universe.
And I don't think they're going to bother coming up with a brand new planet or such just for Spartan Ops.

And yet they kept all the armor abilities ....

Arnie

Found some cunts running around with (supposedly) Halo 4 spoilers in their handles in a TF2 server last night. Zero fucks were given.

I don't think I can get spoiled short of someone making me watch a cutscene at gunpoint, I just assume everything I read is fake garbage.

That's my take on it too. Someone might've spoiled me, but the information was so, how do I put it, bullet pointed, that I'd be just as ready to believe it's not true. We'll see. I'm still massively excited for the campaign.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I know that feel.

A few asshats were in our Halo stream last night posting fake spoilers. I just don't get it.
Odysseus keeps betraying me lol
lol I saw him do it a couple times, but I didn't know if it was an accident or intentional

I wandered into the Waypoint app for the first time in quite a while today. There's some interesting fiction videos on it giving overviews of the different races and major events in the fiction's continuity. To anyone interested in the fiction who haven't sifted through the videos yet, I'd recommend it.

Kind of odd to have ads at the beginning of the videos though.

Fuchsdh

I usually didn't have much issue with lag in ODST FF, but on the other hand if someone had a network interruption or similar, it was over--everything lagged out, froze, and you all got kicked out of the game. At least in Reach you have a chance to recover, or else the lagging party drops without interfering with everyone else.

On the other hand, it did make "Endure" equal parts more challenging and frustrating. Took me three tries--first time we got D/C'd one wave from the end, the second we died one Chieftan from the end, third time was the charm.

I know that feel.

A few asshats were in our Halo stream last night posting fake spoilers. I just don't get it.

I really don't understand why people flip out over spoilers, but I also don't get the trolling instinct to be a dick about this stuff either.

Toddler

You guys discussed the Tritton Warheads yet? I saw a Halo 4 flavored pair when I swung through Gamestop last night and almost bite....

Sanjuro

Them things am the sexy!

Pretty steep at $300, but I have a bunch of junk that I can trade in that would absorb almost all of it.

I'm a fan of the Turtle Beach products having sampled most of the console gaming headsets. For the value they are fantastic. One thing I really like about that Tritton one at first glance is that you don't need a plug for the game chat, but you can't really use them on anything else.

heckfu

Banned
I'm a fan of the Turtle Beach products having sampled most of the console gaming headsets. For the value they are fantastic. One thing I really like about that Tritton one at first glance is that you don't need a plug for the game chat, but you can't really use them on anything else.

I got the Tritton AX's and I'm in love with them. Very comfortable and the bass is just...just nasty...

Toddler

I'm guessing that's 300$ with an amp?

Yeah, and the cool thing about these is that they sync straight to your 360, similar to the way your wireless controllers do.

It's also a unique channel, so you don't get/cause interference with your other wireless devices. I was also looking at the A40/50s and that was the main gripe along with poor mic quality.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Why can't halo be out now that I'm in for the week? 343 not planning for the hurricane season is terrible.

Yea right, timing is fine. I'm gonna lose power all this coming week. At least next I should be able to play Halo 4.

So as a purchase insentive if you buy a 12 month + 1 month gold prepaid card with halo 4 branding you also get a Corbulo Acadamy Emblem which is pretty cool. Shame it's only available with the year of gold.

Picked it up yesterday and my code got damaged when scratching off thankfully iv managed to redeem it still

Sanjuro

Yea right, timing is fine. I'm gonna lose power all this coming week. At least next I should be able to play Halo 4.

Curious how that is going to play out for me. Massachusetts here, not sure what to expect. However, my area loses power with heavy rain anyway. A year ago or so from the storm lost power for a week. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom