• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeth

So I'm still confused about the contents of the Limited Edition. Is there a Forward Unto Dawn Blu-Ray in there? None of the UK retailers list it. Is it US-exclusive?

There was also talk about playing within the first few weeks or so to unlock Specializations. What's the overlap with the ones in the LE? Do I get all of them by playing early with the standard edition?

People were also saying that he War Games pack from Live had different armour than the one in the LE. Which is exclusive to which?

Will be doing my own poking around on this but I'm sure you guys are a lot more in the know than I am at the moment.

Ta all :)

Don't bother. I'm not going to have power for the whole fucking week lol

Where in NY are you? I only lost power for a few hours last hurricane.. Other areas around me though weren't so lucky and were out for a couple days.

It's only impractical because half of your nation has historically had such an insane distrust of government and such a wacky view of taxes that they haven't provided the conditions for the federal government to be able to adequately invest in infrastructure. Basically, you need a new New Deal. Instead, half the country is going to cast their vote for Mitt Romney, who doesn't believe the federal government can create jobs, and doesn't want to believe in any of the negative externalities -- like decrepit infrastructure, or, uh, global warming -- that threaten his vision of a free market.

I like you Shake Appeal.

Hi, I'm a European prick and I'm going to tell America out of the blue to bury their entire power grid and refuse to listen to all the reasons why that's completely impractical!
It's only impractical because half of your nation has historically had such an insane distrust of government and such a wacky view of taxes that they haven't provided the conditions for the federal government to be able to adequately invest in infrastructure. Basically, you need a new New Deal. Instead, half the country is going to cast their vote for Mitt Romney, who doesn't believe the federal government can create jobs, and doesn't want to believe in any of the negative externalities -- like decrepit infrastructure, or, uh, global warming -- that threaten his vision of a free market.

willow ve

So I'm still confused about the contents of the Limited Edition. Is there a Forward Unto Dawn Blu-Ray in there? None of the UK retailers list it. Is it US-exclusive?

There was also talk about playing within the first few weeks or so to unlock Specializations. What's the overlap with the ones in the LE? Do I get all of them by playing early with the standard edition?

People were also saying that he War Games pack from Live had different armour than the one in the LE. Which is exclusive to which?

Will be doing my own poking around on this but I'm sure you guys are a lot more in the know than I am at the moment.

Ta all :)

No included disc of Forward Unto Dawn comes with the LE - it's just a code/link to stream the full series in HD on Waypoint. The Blu-Ray and DVD are separate and will be released at a later date.

They clarified that the LE map pack and the separate purchase map pack will now both include the helmets.

Not sure on the specializations.

TheOddOne

Requiem is "their thing". Just like the Infinity is "their thing". I think that, in this instance as in so many others, 343's paranoia about Bungie is going to make them refuse to touch anything Bungie created, in this case possible places or scenarios out in the wider Halo universe.
And I don't think they're going to bother coming up with a brand new planet or such just for Spartan Ops.
Oh? You mean they feared releasing a little game called Halo created by Bungie? Oh, gosh! Look at all the fear!

Snark aside, they could just go balls out ambitious for a new mode that leads into the next game.

Portugeezer

Hey guys, I hadn't turned on my Xbox for a few months, in anticipation to Halo 4 I thought I'd turn it on, make sure disc drive is working and all, get the recent update.

It started the update, downloaded fine, but then it froze right at the end of the part where it says "applying update. Do not turn off or unplug your console.", has this happened before? I am pretty sure it's frozen, nothing it happening, not even the little circle moving.

It has been about 15 minutes, should I turn off?

Oh? You mean they feared releasing a little game called Halo created by Bungie? Oh, gosh! Look at all the fear!

Snark aside, they could just go balls out ambitious for a new mode that leads into the next game.

That's a longggg time from now.. I'm more concerned with 343's plans for spin-offs and games/experiences to hold us off between the major numbered releases. I wonder if there are even any ideas or talk of allowing other studios to work on Halo again like Ensemble/ROBOT did with Halo Wars.

TheOddOne

That's a longggg time from now.. I'm more concerned with 343's plans for spin-offs and games/experiences to hold us off between the major numbered releases. I wonder if there are even any ideas or talk of allowing other studios to work on Halo again like Ensemble/ROBOT did with Halo Wars.
I think we will see less and less spin-offs. What we will see is HD remakes.

I'm guessing that they won't have too many crazy leads into Halo 5 so we still have to have some hype. I think Spartan Ops will be successful enough and Season 1 will be a Halo 2-level cliffhanger to keep us hyped, and then they'll have a second season... which is all fanservice with things like "Keystone Battles of UNSC History" or something.

willow ve

Hey guys, I hadn't turned on my Xbox for a few months, in anticipation to Halo 4 I thought I'd turn it on, make sure disc drive is working and all, get the recent update.

It started the update, downloaded fine, but then it froze right at the end of the part where it says "applying update. Do not turn off or unplug your console.", has this happened before? I am pretty sure it's frozen, nothing it happening, not even the little circle moving.

It has been about 15 minutes, should I turn off?

In the dashboard beta I had updates at least twice a week for four of five weeks straight. At least twice it did what you're describing. I let it run for awhile and then powered off. A test to see if it's truly frozen is hit the xbox/guide button on a controller and see if the guide pops up. If nothing happens then it's frozen. Just hit the power button then turn it back on. It should download and install the update then.

If not, free xbox from 1-800-4MYXBOX?

I'd categorically refute everything you've said here and expose your ignorance of science and economics, but I'd rather not start a heated argument that could easily lead to us both being banned. I'm not going to convince you, and you're certainly not going to convince me because you're wrong, so I'm going ignore everything further you say on this subject.

I'm betting you knew exactly what I meant, but in case you didn't let me make it clear: I think that 343 has been determined from the start to make Halo their own, so determined that they have overcompensated.
They could very well have thrown the kitchen sink at SpOps. Won't matter if the netcode is bad, though.

JHall

Not in MLG.

It's a limited power weapon that doesn't directly damage the other team. And there's a risk reward nature to picking it up. How Halo should be.

I was being a smart-ass. I like how MLG handled the jetpack; as a pickup it works very well. With everyone spawning with it in normal settings, it breaks maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Where in NY are you? I only lost power for a few hours last hurricane.. Other areas around me though weren't so lucky and were out for a couple days.

I like you Shake Appeal.

I'm in Putnam County. I lost it for about a week during Irene and the same during the Halloween snow storm. I'm not expecting power until next week. I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst lol.

willow ve

I'm in Putnam County. I lost it for about a week during Irene and the same during the Halloween snow storm. I'm not expecting power until next week. I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst lol.

Think of it as an easy way to avoid spoilers...

I'd categorically refute everything you've said here and expose your ignorance of science and economics, but I'd rather not start a heated argument that could easily lead to us both being banned. I'm not going to convince you, and you're certainly not going to convince me because you're wrong, so I'm going ignore everything further you say on this subject.
Amazing.

Godspeed.

I live in the Florida Panhandle. Think that'd be scary, right? Nope. Worst one we got was Ivan and it only affected the coasts. Every time a hurricane's scheduled to make landfall in Destin, FL it hits New Orleans. Happened with Katrina, and it happened with... Irene lately? I forget the name.

Also, since our Spartans are trading cards now, we should be able to collect them. 343 employees should be holographic. :lol think of them as in-game Charizards.

Arnie

I was being a smart-ass. I like how MLG handled the jetpack, as a pickup it works very well. With everyone spawning with it in normal settings, it breaks maps.

I agree.

Like equipment, Armour Abilities were intended to augment the existing sandbox rather than overhaul it, Jetpack crosses a line in that regard, for me. I'm opposed to AA's in general anyway, I don't think they add fun or satisfaction, and I found equipment to actually be a superior implementation because of the risk/reward nature of picking them up.

I'm still baffled as to their inclusion in Halo 4, and I'm astonished 343 haven't commented on their return in a vidoc, because that's what I would've expected/received from Bungie. I guess the two studios have wildly different philosophies, which is fair enough.

Portugeezer

In the dashboard beta I had updates at least twice a week for four of five weeks straight. At least twice it did what you're describing. I let it run for awhile and then powered off. A test to see if it's truly frozen is hit the xbox/guide button on a controller and see if the guide pops up. If nothing happens then it's frozen. Just hit the power button then turn it back on. It should download and install the update then.

If not, free xbox from 1-800-4MYXBOX?

Yeah it's completely frozen. Do I need any evidence of it being frozen if I turn it off and it fucks up?

TheOddOne

I'm betting you knew exactly what I meant, but in case you didn't let me make it clear: I think that 343 has been determined from the start to make Halo their own, so determined that they have overcompensated.
They could very well have thrown the kitchen sink at SpOps. Won't matter if the netcode is bad, though.
I really don't know why you went in on something I was "hoping". And what does making their own game have to do with exploring other world within the fiction? That has nothing to do with Bungie's legacy at all. They have done some backround stories on the multiplayer maps, so the idea that they would visit areas outside of Requiem in Spartan Ops would be something they could potentially do. You could even say they are making the game more their own by going where Bungie never did.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I live in the Florida Panhandle. Think that'd be scary, right? Nope. Worst one we got was Ivan and it only affected the coasts. Every time a hurricane's scheduled to make landfall in Destin, FL it hits New Orleans. Happened with Katrina, and it happened with... Irene lately? I forget the name.

Also, since our Spartans are trading cards now, we should be able to collect them. 343 employees should be holographic. :lol think of them as in-game Charizards.

In Panhandle as well and Ivan was terrible, 15 minutes from Pensacola Beach.

This whole area was trashed for a good 2 months afterwards, I was supposed to have reconstructive knee surgery two days before and it was moved till November. Ivan hit in September for reference to how long the delay was for those that don't know.

Pretty nuts.

willow ve

Yeah it's completely frozen. Do I need any evidence of it being frozen if I turn it off and it fucks up?

Take a short video? Show your hand pushing the buttons on a controller (the guide button)? Can't think of any other way to prove it... But it doesn't hurt to have some evidence.

BigShow36

I was thinking exactly the same thing. However, its not the place for that kind of discussion and I really don't think it would make a difference.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
I live just outside of Washington DC, and about 6 months ago several local towns lost power for 1-2 weeks. Mother Nature may just poop on my Halo 4 launch dreams.

In Panhandle as well and Ivan was terrible, 15 minutes from Pensacola Beach.

This whole area was trashed for a good 2 months afterwards, I was supposed to have reconstructive knee surgery two days before and it was moved till November. Ivan hit in September for reference to how long the delay was for those that don't know.

Pretty nuts.

No way! I live like half an hour from Pensacola Beach. Do you live in Gulf Breeze or Pensacola?

And I lived further in town (in Fort Walton/Shalimar, on Racetrack) back when Ivan hit so all we got was some heavy rain back then. I can't imagine what would happen now since we're like within walking distance from the beach.

Regarding Halo 4's UI...

I wonder if any of the design decisions were influenced by metro, or "The Windows 8 Experience"
Much more of the UI seems to be based on tiles, squares, and horizontal movement as opposed to vertical, or at least what I've seen of it.
Anyone else notice this?

It looks/feels like it was designed for Kinect.

Lol at you east coasters losing power, west coast is best coast for a reason.
Power went out for like 20 minutes last night, it was awesome.

I really don't know why you went in on something I was "hoping". And what does making their own game have to do with exploring other world within the fiction? That has nothing to do with Bungie's legacy at all. They have done some backround stories on the multiplayer maps, so the idea that they would visit areas outside of Requiem in Spartan Ops would be something they could potentially do. You could even say they are making the game more their own by going where Bungie never did.

I was thinking more along the lines of they wouldn't touch any place that had been previously thought of by Bungie- like Reach, or Madrigal, or Mars even.
You are right that they could simply come up with new worlds, though. We'll see if that happens, although I don't think it will, I think they'll keep it entirely on Requiem.

JHall

I agree.

Like equipment, Armour Abilities were intended to augment the existing sandbox rather than overhaul it, Jetpack crosses a line in that regard, for me. I'm opposed to AA's in general anyway, I don't think they add fun or satisfaction, and I found equipment to actually be a superior implementation because of the risk/reward nature of picking them up.

I'm still baffled as to their inclusion in Halo 4, and I'm astonished 343 haven't commented on their return in a vidoc, because that's what I would've expected/received from Bungie. I guess the two studios have wildly different philosophies, which is fair enough.

I agree with this. I didn't mind equipment all that much, AA's I feel just don't have a place in Halo. Especially sprint and jetpack. If 343i had taken out those two and left in the newer AA's which seem to be less ground breaking than Reach's AA's. I wouldn't be ecstatic about them returning, but I'd feel better.

Rev3rb

Regarding Halo 4's UI...

I wonder if any of the design decisions were influenced by metro, or "The Windows 8 Experience"
Much more of the UI seems to be based on tiles, squares, and horizontal movement as opposed to vertical, or at least what I've seen of it.
Anyone else notice this?

Gotta say, I loved the audio effects that go along with it. They're awesome.

Willeth

No included disc of Forward Unto Dawn comes with the LE - it's just a code/link to stream the full series in HD on Waypoint. The Blu-Ray and DVD are separate and will be released at a later date.

They clarified that the LE map pack and the separate purchase map pack will now both include the helmets.

Not sure on the specializations.

Cheers. No need to stream FUD in HD when I can do it on YouTube for free from Machinima.

So there's no difference at all between the LE War Games and the standalone? Or is there slightly more in the LE?

Fuchsdh

Gotta say, I loved the audio effects that go along with it. They're awesome.

I do like those, yes.

Last word on the power line thing: having a revamped power grid is an interesting price to pay for having had your entire continent bombed to hell and back, as well. Easy to rebuild when nothing's there :)

Reclaimer Saga speculation here: it in no way has anything to do with Halo 4's story because I've remained unspoiled thusfar.

Does anyone think the only proper way to finish off Chief and Cortana's story would be a somewhat depressing ending that's a combination of 1 and 3's endings? That is, the two end up isolated on some forerunner or otherwise terraformed planet. No hostile wildlife, no ancient evils, no secret war machines, etc. They just end up stranded with no hope of recovery and are allowed to spend the rest of their days in peace away from combat, Forerunners taken care of, Covenant and existing Storm faction separated and whatever species either exterminated or given peace, and the UNSC/remaining humanity left to fend for itself under (relatively) peaceful circumstances. Maybe something like:

"Chief, if we want to get out of here, we'll probably have to look for a communication relay. Otherwise, there's no way we're getting off this planet."

"Then let's not look for it."

"...I understand."

*mutual acceptance of their isolated fate, but also somewhat touching/romantic/whatever because Chief makes the call*

One thing that kinda bummed me out was the fact that Halo 3's ending seemed to have given them a proper sendoff, so to speak. Even with the legendary ending. Cue Origins and Cortana's prediction that humanity will always be engaged in war, which is reflected by Chief (who's basically humanity's only hope) having to go back into combat with no real lulls since much earlier in his career. :( poor guy.

OT:

IGN's Assassin's Creed in 5 mins got me so damn hyped and I never played more than a couple hours of the first game..... What the hell have I been missing?! So disappointed I didn't have people forcing me to play these games lol

AC was so damn good... right up until the final scene of the third game.
Story never made much sense, but
Lucy's death ruined it all for me
People that only care about gameplay will still love it, gameplay has been consistently great from the beginning and has only gotten better.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
No way! I live like half an hour from Pensacola Beach. Do you live in Gulf Breeze or Pensacola?

And I lived further in town (in Fort Walton/Shalimar, on Racetrack) back when Ivan hit so all we got was some heavy rain back then. I can't imagine what would happen now since we're like within walking distance from the beach.

Gulf Breeze, yea we had a really rough time through Ivan. I still have a video of the water down my street, could see on the tippy top of my mailbox...which is a good 4 feet high. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom