• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Someone mentioned it weeks ago- but even if there never ends up being an in-game ranking system, doesn't having a priority on skill based matching really strengthen something like HaloTracker's system? Essentially, it'd be the same thing.

At this point I'm indifferent either way. It's great to see how you are progressing, but I'll gladly admit it's incredibly nice not getting hit offline or playing against a stacked deck all day.

the reason why Halo 2 did work fairly well was you were basically within a "range"

to quantify someones skill outside of success against their peers is near fucking impossible.

Arena was proof of such failure of analyzing someones ability

i'd go 7-0 and everyone else on my team went negative but had a high amount of kills, but the game thinks people on my team were better than me. Element is the brain. Choosing smart engagements. Everybody has a different measure of success or skill but in the end it doesn't mean shit if you lose the game.

When I'm a flag runner, it doesn't mean i'm incompetent because i'm piling up the death count. It's a measured sacrifice that I'm doing in order to advance the score and will usually go heavy negative.

That's why I want H2 ranks and not some random concoction of analysis which will force me to play against idiots for the rest of my life. yay. That way I know where I stand and know roughly where my opponent stands and I don't have to take the games word that I'm facing someone of equal skill.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
the reason why Halo 2 did work fairly well was you were basically within a "range"

to quantify someones skill outside of success against their peers is near fucking impossible.

Arena was proof of such failure of analyzing someones ability

i'd go 7-0 and everyone else on my team went negative but had a high amount of kills, but the game thinks people on my team were better than me. Element is the brain. Choosing smart engagements. Everybody has a different measure of success or skill but in the end it doesn't mean shit if you lose the game.

When I'm a flag runner, it doesn't mean i'm incompetent because i'm piling up the death count. It's a measured sacrifice that I'm doing in order to advance the score and will usually go heavy negative.

That's why I want H2 ranks and not some random concoction of analysis which will force me to play against idiots for the rest of my life. yay.

I apologize if this is what you are getting at, but what's to stop HaloTracker (or anyone else for that matter) from doing this and implementing it. So skill is invisible. Still goes up if you win, goes down if you lose. Track it like HT does w/ your game history (minus the k/d influence) and you'd have a system that'd work nearly as well as anything in game, IMO.

DopeyFish

I apologize if this is what you are getting at, but what's to stop HaloTracker (or anyone else for that matter) from doing this and implementing it. So skill is invisible. Still goes up if you win, goes down if you lose. Track it like HT does w/ your game history (minus the k/d influence) and you'd have a system that'd work nearly as well as anything in game, IMO.

Why should anyone have to use anything external for their enjoyment of halo 4? In halo 2 and 3, enjoyment came built in

(Yeah I totally didn't understand your initial question and ended up rambling... Skill ranks are a soft spot for me)

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Why should anyone have to use anything external for their enjoyment of halo 4? In halo 2 and 3, enjoyment came built in

(Yeah I totally didn't understand your initial question and ended up rambling... Skill ranks are a soft spot for me)

I've been on the fence for a while. Always spent most of my time in ranked.

In the Arena I'd get hit off so often I actually becoming convinced it was my ISP or router. Never happened again when I stopped. So many Iron boosters that you'd be better off not playing to preserve rank.

Hopped on Halo 3 Doubles this month, majority of games were against de-rankers.

Short of having the most no-nonsense, merciless Banhammer available, I can't think of a visible system to avoid this. I'm becoming convinced that my enjoyment of the game is better off w/o visible ranks- which is a bit sad.

I loved the idea of ranks only visible to you- but I can buy into any decisions to move away from it. A bunch of bad eggs really did spoil it for the rest of us.

DopeyFish

I've been on the fence for a while. Always spent most of my time in ranked.

In the Arena I'd get hit off so often I actually becoming convinced it was my ISP or router. Never happened again when I stopped. So many Iron boosters that you'd be better off not playing to preserve rank.

Hopped on Halo 3 Doubles this month, majority of games were against de-rankers.

Short of having the most no-nonsense, merciless Banhammer available, I can't think of a visible system to avoid this. I'm becoming convinced that my enjoyment of the game is better off w/o visible ranks- which is a bit sad.

I loved the idea of ranks only visible to you- but I can buy into any decisions to move away from it. A bunch of bad eggs really did spoil it for the rest of us.

Halo 3 would have benefitted from the anti briefing system in reach

And if only there was a way to not figure out if you were host or not... And if people are booted from games due to poor connection, the entire game is flagged as bad... So when it comes down to host selection, the users with the highest percentage of good games in a ranked environment (across a time period) get host

Or something like that

You can't get rid of griefing, ever. You just do your best to restrict those avenues.

Ranked gameplay, even with its faults, was still a billion times better than any experience I had in reach.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 3 would have benefitted from the anti briefing system in reach

And if only there was a way to not figure out if you were host or not... And if people are booted from games due to poor connection, the entire game is flagged as bad... So when it comes down to host selection, the users with the highest percentage of good games in a ranked environment (across a time period) get host

Or something like that

You can't get rid of griefing, ever. You just do your best to restrict those avenues.

Ranked gameplay, even with its faults, was still a billion times better than any experience I had in reach.

We could have had gameplay just like ranked gameplay as we knew it in Halo 2 and 3 but the matchmaking restrictions were too loose and didn't utilize true skill enough.

feel

Wait, reading the previous page, people who are not whitelisted get banned if they play early?? :/

When is this restriction lifting? Please say early this week.

wwm0nkey

Wait, people who are not whitelisted get banned if they play early?? :/

Wait what!?

EDIT: Ok it seems like they listed a few gamer tags to allow into the MM lobbies? Would really like clarification on this.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wait, reading the previous page, people who are not whitelisted get banned if they play early?? :/

If you get the game legitimately just tell frankie or someone else and I'm sure they'll put you on the white list bro

the spiteful jerk in me hopes that it's not until official release.

but in truth it doesn't matter, frankie will bail you out either way.

feel

If you get the game legitimately just tell frankie or someone else and I'm sure they'll put you on the white list bro
There's a quote in the previous page from Frankie implying that only press and F&F copies are considered legitimate, and not the ones people might get from ebay or from a friend that has a store, if I read it right.

But you're right, gotta make sure I don't get banned from gaf this week, you know, just in case.

wwm0nkey

So if we get it early do we ask to be white listed or do we just not touch it until an "OK" date? I assume that is the day the embargo goes up on November 1st.

There's a quote in the previous page from Frankie implying that only press and F&F copies are considered legitimate, and not the ones people might get from ebay or from a friend that has a store, if I read it right.

But you're right, gotta make sure I don't get banned from gaf this week, you know, just in case.

Well Frankie took care of that guy who got banned for playing on live early..its an automated system, but if you can prove its a 'legit' copy you should be ok.

CyReN

gZGNR.png

Is there a limitation on the number of players who can play split screen in campaign, spartan-ops or multiplayer?

I know in Reach only two people could play campaign, most multiplayer hoppers and firefight in split screen. It's a huge bummer when you've got four dudes over and all you want to do is play Big Team Battle.

Anyone out there care to investigate? I'd love you forever.

feel

Just read the whole thread and laughed pretty hard at this.

Also for those who might get it early and didn't read all of that thread you should read this post
A day or two banned while waiting for it to get resolved seems brutal after finally having the game in your hands, I hope they lift the auto-ban process soon, not that I will be getting the game anytime soon or anything..

Omni

A day or two banned while waiting for it to get resolved seems brutal after finally having the game in your hands, I hope they lift the auto-ban process soon, not that I will be getting the game anytime soon or anything..

The jealous bastard inside of me hopes that everyone who gets the game earlier than me gets banned. >:)

wwm0nkey

I am hoping there is just a way to get on the white list. I mean I am fine waiting until launch but it sitting there would just be taunting lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom