• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Yeah that COD ad was great, anyone can
watch that and feel like they're missing out on a cool event by not buying the game. Halo 4 ad is a poorly edited handjob for Halo nerds.

The COD ad is really fun, but it also highlights what I like least about COD games.

"OK- I'm here, and my teammates are here. We've got this point and this point locked down. I'm in a perfect strategic position. There's an enemy player- got him in my sights..."

SURPRISE!

You didn't pick the right perk or killstreak and he did. Go fuck yourself. You LOSE.

And now they've built a high-dollar ad with this design component as its centerpiece. Awesome.

And now, we have this in Halo 4!

Tawpgun

Does anyone know if its possible to combine power ups? Like say you get damage boost, and your friend gets speed boost, and you take both of them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
*Only available in 3 stores across 2 countries in the world.
A long time ago, I was in Walmart. My friends and I were working for the local store. They were trying to buy the loyalty of consumers by bribing them with precious XP. But their shipments were being raided on a highway north of K-Mart by a bandit. So, we went looking for the XP. But in six months, we never met anybody who bought from him. One day, I saw a child playing with a bag of doritos the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch two countries get fat.
JxlNO.gif

JHall

A long time ago, I was in Walmart. My friends and I were working for the local store. They were trying to buy the loyalty of consumers by bribing them with precious XP. But their shipments were being raided on a highway north of K-Mart by a bandit. So, we went looking for the XP. But in six months, we never met anybody who bought from him. One day, I saw a child playing with a bag of doritos the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch two countries get fat.
JxlNO.gif

Beautiful.

Yeah that COD ad was great, anyone can
watch that and feel like they're missing out on a cool event by not buying the game. Halo 4 ad is a poorly edited handjob for Halo nerds.

I have to agree, their ad reaches right out to the casuals. Its screams this is a huge game everyone will play.

The Halo ad is complicated and only reaches the people who know the canon which is fine except they copied everything they could to make it like the other game. To reach the casuals. Which they failed.

Overdoziz

Banned

JxlNO.gif
ipfNq2ltSZc6n.gif

Except that even at its worst, there's no way it's going to be like that. (Which doesn't negate anyone's opinion it shouldn't be even close to that way anyhow, but just sayin'.)

I dont see how it's too different from the CoD implementation - except perhaps it's less readable when it impacts the gameplay. Really that makes it worse than the CoD implementation.

Good luck people in America - I know the NY branch of my workplace is closed - stay safe guys.

Except that even at its worst, there's no way it's going to be like that. (Which doesn't negate anyone's opinion it shouldn't be even close to that way anyhow, but just sayin'.)

I can think of some annoying encounters: Say you're having a BR battle, both of you are one shot and have to relead. But because he has dexterity, he is faster and can kill you. Or you're one shot, in cover and out of range of ordinary grenades. But because this one guy has the explosives mod, he can kill you. Maybe those encounters won't be too frequent but I can imagine those will be annoying when they happen to you.

Rev3rb

I have to agree, their ad reaches right out to the casuals. Its screams this is a huge game everyone will play.

The Halo ad is complicated and only reaches the people who know the canon which is fine except they copied everything they could to make it like the other game. To reach the casuals. Which they failed.

A Halo ad focusing on multiplayer would have definitely reached casuals better than what they have now...

A Halo ad focusing on multiplayer would have definitely reached casuals better than what they have now...

True. A Halo 4 MP built on its own strength with skill based ranking would have reached Halo fans better than copying CoD. So I am not exactly sure who they were targeting in dev and with these ads. They seemed to have wiffed on both.

feel

Kylej you should place your OT as a post in this thread in the meantime, just so we can check it out before tomorrow.

A halo 4 advert which literally acted as a military recruitment ad for the infinity and spartan 4 program in general would be amazing - they have so much that they could pimp out. Would be a pretty good chance to show off how much has changed across the multiplayer to entice people.

BigShow36

The problem is you have players who donged on some noobs once using radar, so they want to believe it's some super-skillful feature that adds depth. Once you have two competent parties playing against each other, it becomes painfully obvious that radar is detremental to gameplay rather than an enhancement.

Louis Wu

A halo 4 advert which literally acted as a military recruitment ad for the infinity and spartan 4 program in general would be amazing - they have so much that they could pimp out. Would be a pretty good chance to show off how much has changed across the multiplayer to entice people.
They actually tried something close to that, in Sweden - the general reaction was 'cheesy', even though the questions were kick-ass.

Bob's idea made me think...

If halo marketing were up to GAF as a collective there would be Halo 4 brand broccoli.

If it were up to Team Downer there would be sarcastic Call of Duty comparisons and grey billboards that would have the word "Forge" written crudely on them.

If it were up to Team Slurp there would be really sappy Halo 4 ads that would try in vain to make Halo sound like the solution to all of humanity's problems.

If it were up to me, on the other hand, we would have ads with Master Chief and Romney battling the the national debt and Obamacare.

JHall

Bob's idea made me think...

If halo marketing were up to GAF as a collective there would be Halo 4 brand broccoli.

If it were up to Team Downer there would be sarcastic Call of Duty comparisons and grey billboards that would have the word "Forge" written crudely on them.

If it were up to Team Slurp there would be really sappy Halo 4 ads that would try in vain to make Halo sound like the solution to all of humanity's problems.

If it were up to me, on the other hand, we would have ads with Master Chief and Romney battling the the national debt and Obamacare.

I like this.

Fuchsdh

So? I don't find Halo fun to watch any way, but I definitely don't find it any more exciting without motion trackers. I don't mind "slow" gameplay, part of the reason I play Halo is the motion tracker (now can people stop calling it radar?)

Woorloog

Banned
The Library Achivements can go to hell. I'll miss some gamerscore and 2 achivements but trying the map again and again is too frustrating. I'll content myself with 42 achivements and 965GS.

Watched the terminals again. Damn good. Halo 4's continue the similar type of terminals, no? Can't wait.

EDIT and Gold again now.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Boltshot in general is going to be really powerful. I personally don't think you should be able to spawn with a weapon that can kill in one shot.

That seems to be a future catastrophe that is just slipping merrily under the radar until the end of November. This is a CoD-type issue and it's sad to have to worry about this sort of thing now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I looooove the sound effect you hear when someone sweeps over you with Promethean Vision. Sounds creepy and menacing. Reminds me of Elzar.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey! I'm still alive! And my power hasn't gone out yet. This is a fucking miracle.

I know the worst has yet to come though :/

Agreed... giving Camo players the ability to sprint is going to be ridiculous. I miss about 5 assassinations a game because I move at the same speed as my opponent. With sprint, if I have the jump on someone, they are getting assassinated. ;) Love it. My APG (assassinations per game) is going to be off the charts thanks to sprint. So pumped.

So? I don't find Halo fun to watch any way, but I definitely don't find it any more exciting without motion trackers. I don't mind "slow" gameplay, part of the reason I play Halo is the motion tracker (now can people stop calling it radar?)

I only say radar because motion tracker takes 9 more characters to type out. Radar is just quicker and everyone gets what you are referring too anyways.

Overdoziz

Banned
For me half the fun of Halo is predicting enemy movement and outmaneuvering your opponent. With radar the game is a lot less interesting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Back from a long (Halloween-themed) weekend complete with a party and a trip to haunted houses at Worlds of Fun.

Ready for some Halo 4 one week from tonight!

JHall

Already lost power twice, YESSS

That Sandy is a bitch isn't she. She was such a nice and cute young girl until she met that Danny who was singing about that "Grease Lighing". Now she smokes cigarettes and blows everything out of her way just to get what she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom