• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Skill based ranking is also used in Reach. Let me repeat that. Skill based ranking is also used in Reach. And those matches are anything but competitive.

I'm sure they were unable to change anything between then and now as well.

Can't use AAs in the hill? Interesting.

Swarmerr

They just talked about a rank system again.

Basically confirmed that we will not see be able to see the rank but that it will be working behind the scenes to that is good, as long as it works.

But then majornelson asked if a person can see their own rank and their rank only and then ellis

(I believe) said no you can't see your own rank currently..?

I am just going to go with the fact we will probably never be able to see it but that answer is interesting.

It did, but player connections was more important and often triumph it.

I hope this is the case with halo 4 aswell - I mean if skill is hidden I don't think players are going to care much about the competitive side anyway - just focus on good connection matches and the game will be fun.

Pretty funny that 343 is acting like they don't understand why people want skill ranks though lol.

CyReN

Whats to say the ranks' importance was increased this time around ?

Halo-_Reach_box_art.png

Conor 419

Banned
Well that explanation was a fucking disaster.

Why oh why couldn't they have told us about that (and the lack of a server browser) years ago?

willow ve

I hope this is the case with halo 4 aswell - I mean if skill is hidden I don't think players are going to care much about the competitive side anyway - just focus on good connection matches and the game will be fun.

Pretty funny that 343 is acting like they don't understand why people want skill ranks though lol.

I personally get tired of the Yo-Yo games in Reach. Two games in a row mow down people like it's the first time they ever touched a controller. Game three get blasted by a full party. I would rather wait 2 or 3 minutes for a competitive (close/balanced) match than just a match with low ping between players.

Halo 3 matchmaking was fun and addictive because after you cleared a certain threshold you were matched in competitive games continuously. Granted there were still moments when one team dominated the match, but you would consistently get games that you only won by 2 or 3 kills.

JackHerer

10,000 viewers watching the stream right now.

Explanation for no visible ranks was pretty bad. Maybe the real reason why ranks aren't in the game is because they can be intimidating to new players. Don't want to scare away that casual audience.

I don't see the hate for the UI. Not better then Reach's but people are overreacting.
i just think it's a considerable step down in terms of screen space use and the information it provides. i also don't like it when something's changed just to add more button input to get to the same information.

wwm0nkey

I've waited long enough, Halo 4 is their game and they made it. They made an excuse prior to the TU that they wont add a ranking system because it wasn't their game and that they don't have the resources. 3 years and 300+ people later, they didn't come up with shit. What a fail.

There is no VISUAL rank system, they will still match players with an invisible one.

I do not see how this is in anyway a fail.

mhi

Aint really mad about the UI as I don't spend much time in it. The days of team coordination and clan matches left with Halo 2.

willow ve

It's the most logical thing to do in Objective.

I need mah Sparty Bucks!

The UI's aesthetics seem worse, but it feels more functional and intuitive.

The UI seems to be very influenced by touch screen and app development. Everything looks big and blocky enough to manipulate with a finger on a tablet. Not sure if this in intentional (to be used on their Waypoint/Surface/etc. app) of if it's just a natural progression of game design.

The UI's aesthetics seem worse, but it feels more functional and intuitive.
functional how? the active roster and current game group are separated, active roster is in another menu you have to access altogether. within a lobby you have to hit down to get to the lobby population to actually see their tags. and making text menu options into gigantic icons is no more or less intuitive, but i find the latter far more ugly.

wwm0nkey

functional how? the active roster and current game group are separated, active roster is in another menu you have to access altogether. within a lobby you have to hit down to get to the lobby population to actually see their tags. and making text menu options into gigantic icons is no more or less intuitive, but i find the latter far more ugly.

After using it for a bit it works just fine. I don't find it annoying to use or anything.

Risen

There is no VISUAL rank system, they will still match players with an invisible one.

It's been kicked to death but it's because many feel like a visual rank is a goal to attain which keeps them playing and trying to improve. It adds juice to a game that is value added content while playing. Without, many will care less game to game because nothing important to them is on the line for a win or loss.

mhi

Its the ambiguity factor with something 343 claims is important in determining your playing experience.

The quality of your opponent as well as teammate is important in a matchmaking (read: random) environment.

wwm0nkey

Its the ambiguity factor with something 343 claims is important in determining your playing experience.

The quality of your opponent as well as teammate is important in a matchmaking (read: random) environment.

Again the skill system is there, its just not visible and Ellis already said we will be matched against similar skill levels way more often than Reach ever did.

After using it for a bit it works just fine. I don't find it annoying to use or anything.
oh i don't doubt it'll be fine to use, i'll still know where to go and how to get there, but i just find it an objective step down in functionality and a subjective step down in presentation. kind of like how every 360 dashboard update pushes quickplay to require one more d-pad press.

TheOddOne

oh i don't doubt it'll be fine to use, i'll still know where to go and how to get there, but i just find it an objective step down in functionality and a subjective step down in presentation. kind of like how every 360 dashboard update pushes quickplay to require one more d-pad press.
Oh, I agree with you. Still I don't hate it that much.

mhi

So if am matched with an extremely underperforming teammate, am supposed to just believe that it he just had a bad day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom