• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be correct, but the actual design of them (bodies, etc.) is how they have always been in Halo 4. Armor though, that's interesting.

No not their bodies, I'm specifically talking about their armor.

I definitely recall 343 mentioning why their armor is the way it is now in H4, which is why it's all the more puzzling that it's in FUD...

JackHerer

Hardlight shield looks incredibly frustrating.

Yep. Armor Lock 2.0

Except now you can walk around with it, and you always have sprint now, so when you get into cover you can run away. It may not be quite as bad as armor lock because your not TOTALLY invulnerable with it but it still suffers from the same problem as Armor Lock: it's a pause button on the combat at best and a get out of jail free card at worst. Terrible game mechanic and I don't understand why they didn't learn from Reach with stuff like this.

Project

pretty rattled about there being absolutely no visible sign of rank. It would be nice to be able to see your truskill somewhere, even if it was just online. I like knowing where I sit compared to the rest of the community just because of my competitive nature.

I still have some hope that this can be implemented somewhere because at the end of the day, people who cared about rank loved it, and people who didn't care about rank as much didn't care that it was there or wasn't there. Halo 3 had HUGE numbers for matchmaking, considerably more than reach over its time span. 343 should incorporate factors from Halo 3 that made users want to play day after day (ie. rank).

Yep. Armor Lock 2.0

Except now you can walk around with it, and you always have sprint now, so when you get into cover you can run.

I wouldn't say Armor Lock 2.0.

You can still die by well placed grenades, vehicles, assassinations, splash damage of explosions, etc. I would say armor lock 0.5

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yep. Armor Lock 2.0

Except now you can walk around with it, and you always have sprint now, so when you get into cover you can run.

It's the AA I'm most worried/interested in. I wouldn't call it "Armor Lock 2.0" just yet because it's easily defeated with grenades, vehicles, power weapons (splash damage), or teammates (where armor lock wasn't) and it doesn't make you invincible, but it does give you cover when you should be dead.

Be interested to see how it goes over in matchmaking.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
pretty rattled about there being absolutely no visible sign of rank. It would be nice to be able to see your truskill somewhere, even if it was just online. I like knowing where I sit compared to the rest of the community just because of my competitive nature.

I still have some hope that this can be implemented somewhere because at the end of the day, people who cared about rank loved it, and people who didn't care about rank as much didn't care that it was there or wasn't there. Halo 3 had HUGE numbers for matchmaking, considerably more than reach over its time span. 343 should incorporate factors from Halo 3 that made users want to play day after day (ie. rank).

Honestly with the amount of negative feedback this has gotten i wouldnt be surprised if this was a day one patch.

JackHerer

It's the AA I'm most worried/interested in. I wouldn't call it "Armor Lock 2.0" just yet because it's easily defeated with grenades, vehicles, power weapons (splash damage), or teammates (where armor lock wasn't) and it doesn't make you invincible, but it does give you cover when you should be dead.

Be interested to see how it goes over in matchmaking.

Yeah I edited my post for clarity on my point. I was maybe exaggerating calling it Armor Lock 2.0 but it still suffers from many of the same problems as armor lock. I think it won't be quite as cheap but still incredibly annoying to fight against.

Conor 419

Banned
I think throwable (mini) bubble shields would have been cooler than the hardlight shield, more skillful and interesting too. Maybe even a barrier like in Kid Icarus, or perhaps the Jackal gauntlet.

Thinking about it, of all the shield based armour abilities they could have chosen, they really couldn't have fucked up more than by opting for the Hardlight Shield, which is quite frankly, a fucking disaster.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I do agree sir.

Hopefully Stinkles is out there watching, and if he is, I pray that he's listening.

The system is in place..all they would need is graphics. If not day one id speculate a month or so after launch. This is one grievance i wholeheartedly agree with. Just seems out right silly.

Yep. Armor Lock 2.0

Except now you can walk around with it, and you always have sprint now, so when you get into cover you can run away. It may not be quite as bad as armor lock because your not TOTALLY invulnerable with it but it still suffers from the same problem as Armor Lock: it's a pause button on the combat at best and a get out of jail free card at worst. Terrible game mechanic and I don't understand why they didn't learn from Reach with stuff like this.
it doesn't seem like a pause button or get out of jail free, there are options to take with it now other than "wait or get out". throw grenades, melee, thrust/jetpack to hit an unprotected side, call it out and have a teammate nearby sandwich them, etc. It still falls under the defensive category, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as egregious as invincible 5 second pause button that destroys vehicles and an additional EMP blast for protection from melees on top of being able to control the camera as you get out of it to avoid assassinations.

as much as people rail on other aas, nothing will ever top prepatch armour lock for being the worst designed thing in all of halo. i don't even know what postpatch al looks like because i didn't play reach that long but hls won't be anywhere within the ballpark, within the galaxy of al.

Honestly with the amount of negative feedback this has gotten i wouldnt be surprised if this was a day one patch.
i would stop hoping. they're gonna stick to their guns on this.

I think throwable (mini) bubble shields would have been cooler than the hardlight shield, more skillful and interesting too. Maybe even a barrier like in Kid Icarus, or perhaps the Jackal gauntlet.

Thinking about it, of all the shield based armour abilities they could have chosen, they really couldn't have fucked up more than by opting for the Hardlight Shield, which is quite frankly, a fucking disaster.
did you miss the objective gametype stupidity caused by coordinated drop shielders? at least this is limiting enough to solely be used for personal protection.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
it doesn't seem like a pause button or get out of jail free, there are options to take with it now other than "wait or get out". throw grenades, melee, thrust/jetpack to hit an unprotected side, call it out and have a teammate nearby sandwich them, etc. It still falls under the defensive category, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as egregious as invincible 5 second pause button that destroys vehicles and an additional EMP blast for protection from melees on top of being able to control the camera as you get out of it to avoid assassinations.

as much as people rail on other aas, nothing will ever top prepatch armour lock for being the worst designed thing in all of halo. i don't even know what postpatch al looks like because i didn't play reach that long but hls won't be anywhere within the ballpark, within the galaxy of al.

Well all we can do is speculate. In the grander scheme of things this really is a minor grievance. I can honestly see them buckling down and appeasing the fanbase.

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol

Arena on Uncaged.

Game endscore 50:12

I've got an Untouchable and went +25

Opponents

And I'm not a really good player and I thought arena matches are more tailored for skill?

Conor 419

Banned

did you miss the objective gametype stupidity caused by coordinated drop shielders? at least this is limiting enough to solely be used for personal protection.

A Jackal gauntlet would have been cooler, and honestly it's pretty fucking overdue.

Karl2177

I'll be honest. I would have been fine with skilled armor lock, where it only works for half a second and is knocked out by moderate damage. Longish recharge time. Instead we got a 3 second pause and now evolved to be a one directional 3 second pause.

blamite

Lol

Arena on Uncaged.

Game endscore 50:12

I've got an Untouchable and went +25

Opponents

And I'm not a really good player and I thought arena matches are more tailored for skill?

When's the last time you played Arena? Trueskill gets reset there every season.

GhaleonEB

I'm confused, is this thread going to keep going or are we supposed to move to the Halo 4 OT?

I don't think there's a "supposed to". The natural thing to do is move to the Halo 4 OT for Halo 4 discussion. But unless this thread is locked, whatevs.

The Halo 4 thread will be in Community one month after the game comes out. At which point this one really should be shot dead.

orznge

Banned

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43822456&postcount=10984

Xand

Neo Member
After watching the stream I am glad to see 343 incorporating armor abilities into everything, including the ranking system. /camo troll

Honestly though, it was very nice to find out how extraction plays. It looks more fun than I thought.

JackHerer

The Hardlight Shield can block melees. Thruster would only work if you were right in their face. Grenades are less plentiful in this game unless you have resupply. If you have a team mate they will most likely die, so that works, but you won't always have a team mate right nearby and you shouldn't need to. It's gonna be particularly effective for longer range engagements I think where throwing a nade is less of an option. It may not be as useful as armor lock but I am still concerned about scenarios like the following:

You are shooting at one guy. You get his shields down. He throws up hardlight shield and his team mates comes around the corner and cleans you up.

OR

You are fighting 1v1 with a player, he damages you a little, you get his shield down but he throws a nade right before putting up the hardlight shield preventing you from finishing him off with the headshot. You die from grenade, he lives.

We will see how this affects the game come release but it sounds quite frustrating.

Woorloog

Banned
After watching the stream I am glad to see 343 incorporating armor abilities into everything, including the ranking system. /camo troll

Honestly though, it was very nice to find out how extraction plays. It looks more fun than I thought.

Holy shit, XAND!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I really wish they'd buckle down and make everyone chose between all the options. Variety would just make things more interesting. I shall reiterate... slayer pro seems redundant even before the game is out. Why spend months..hell YEARS balancing armor abilities and weapons only to take them away because pro crybabies deem things too good or too whatever. When was the last time a character got banned in an FGC game tournament?
Deal with the game as it is. Otherwise seriously what is the point?

You are shooting at one guy. You get his shields down. He throws up hardlight shield and his team mates comes around the corner and cleans you up.

OR

You are fighting 1v1 with a player, he damages you a little, you get his shield down but he throws a nade right before putting up the hardlight shield preventing you from finishing him off with the headshot. You die from grenade, he lives.

We will see how this affects the game come release but it sounds quite frustrating.
in the first scenario, teammates are teammates he has just enough chance to get wasted by yours.

in the second, you can thrust out of grenade radius. it depends on what aa you're using but i'm not gonna theorycraft every scenario, it's made to be defensive and it's going to win like that at times. it's just that it has actual downsides and things you can counter with now.

Beckx

A Jackal gauntlet would have been cooler, and honestly it's pretty fucking overdue.

Didn't Rukari kill a player by shooting a little bit of his head that was sticking out from the shield (functionally same as Jackal shield)? Or was that guy getting shot from multiple angles?

JackHerer

in the first scenario, teammates are teammates he has just enough chance to get wasted by yours.

in the second, you can thrust out of grenade radius. it depends on what aa you're using but i'm not gonna theorycraft every scenario, it's made to be defensive and it's going to win like that at times. it's just that it has actual downsides and things you can counter with now.

Sure, there are ways to counter it, but that depends highly on the situation. Sometimes you will be able to counter it and still kill them and in others they will "get out of jail free". I'm not even trying to make an argument that it's OP. Just that I can see it being really frustrating and unenjoyable to play against.

BigShow36

Hardlight shield has a lot of issues that I don't like.

Similiar to Armor Lock, it pauses the action and allows a player to slow down the pace of an encounter at the push of a button. Yeah, if you have a teammate nearby and they don't, its not really a hassle. However, in a 1v1 engagement, it dramatically slows the game down and shifts the encounter to their favor, just by pressing a button. Not only does it allow them to block projectiles, but they can move to cover while doing it.

While a grenade would usually be the solution, Halo 4 has taken some pretty dramatic steps to limit the amount of grenades a player has at any one time. If you're active and agressive, the chance of you having a grenade when you encounter someone with a HL shield decrease significantly.

I'll stick to this thread. Don't want to deal with people who SAY they like Halo yet for some reason never post in the Halo thread a month after the game has been out...yet they are HUGE Halo fanBOYS! apparently. Please.

I wouldn't say Armor Lock 2.0.

You can still die by well placed grenades, vehicles, assassinations, splash damage of explosions, etc. I would say armor lock 0.5

I'm so happy that there is no more armor lock... the amount of times someone unintentionally properly timed a armor lock right before an assassination made me cry.

Holograms teabagging tricked bodies... CONFIRMED.

Actually that should be a feature of Hologram and would be a major buff... if you are crouching when you fire a hologram, when it gets to its point it starts teabagging. You would be able to tell that it was a normal person by it not turning around or facing downwards, etc. Would have an interesting meta effect of teabaggers getting a slight bit of breathing room as someone contemplates whether or not they are a hologram. And things like rockets would be less used on teabaggers. Would definitely be hilarious and interesting. Especially if a video was made of 32 spartans teabagging. ;)

Whaaaaaaaat?

I miss you babe.

Hardlight shield has a lot of issues that I don't like.

Similiar to Armor Lock, it pauses the action and allows a player to slow down the pace of an encounter at the push of a button. Yeah, if you have a teammate nearby and they don't, its not really a hassle. However, in a 1v1 engagement, it dramatically slows the game down and shifts the encounter to their favor, just by pressing a button. Not only does it allow them to block projectiles, but they can move to cover while doing it.

While a grenade would usually be the solution, Halo 4 has taken some pretty dramatic steps to limit the amount of grenades a player has at any one time. If you're active and agressive, the chance of you having a grenade when you encounter someone with a HL shield decrease significantly.

Yeah, I agree to an extent but seems to me that the biggest annoyance will come at long range 1v1 encounters. I imagine any medium-to-close encounters will result in the attacker sprinting to harass the HLS. It doesn't block melees, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom