• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if am matched with an extremely underperforming teammate, am supposed to just believe that it he just had a bad day ?
sure. if it's not an ego stroking thing, the number is just a placebo. did you just let it slide when matches had lopsided results when the numbers said that the match was fine?

mhi

did you just let it slide when matches had lopsided results when the numbers said that the match was fine?

When someone performed below their levels, I assumed they were cheaters/boosters and avoided them with the guide.If someone outperformed their rank I assumed it was someone good who had just gotten a new acct.

But more often than not, I was matched with people around my rank who performed accordingly.

With no visible indicator, I just assume the system inaccurate.

External Memory

Neo Member
So if am matched with an extremely underperforming teammate, am supposed to just believe that it he just had a bad day ?

Good question. Depends whether besides your own BPR/Skill rank whatever it shows the range the system is using when searching for more players. If it's a loose range (say, you're the equivalent of a 25 and the game is searching +/- 15 ranks) it should be fairly easy to tease out who are the weaker links just from the game's stats. With joining in session active in some playlists, though, you may have no idea except going off of what the range was in the pregame lobby, which may have changed in the 4 or 5 minutes since starting the game. And nothing is going to prevent scrub friends from joining.

Of course, with Waypoint, it's likely that finding out the player's normally "invisible" rank will just be an annoying chore rather than having it up front, which doesn't really deter boosting as much as it initially sounds. I'm sure there was or were kids that wanted to buy an account that had a 5+ k/d or went onyx in the last Arena season, whether or not they knew what that entailed (going into MM Grifball 2 gamertagged players and 2 guests to a team) or that their Onyx might not carry over.

So it still begs the question: why not just open up the skill rank to different play styles and the new medal/point system so you have more getting to the middle quicker, versus making it only slightly less of a TrueSkill black box than Reach, and removing Arena?

When someone performed below their levels, I assumed they were cheaters/boosters and avoided them with the guide.If someone outperformed their rank I assumed it was someone good who had just gotten a new acct.

But more often than not, I was matched with people around my rank who performed accordingly.

With no visible indicator, I just assume the system inaccurate.
so the outliers were excused when visibility was present, but without it it seems like a broken system.

i dunno man, wanting ranks for the sense of achievement is one thing but the backend for matching players in that way can be done either way.

So Halo-Gaf, I had fun today. Ended up wearing my Master Chief Costume to C# Programming today...Of course my camera killed its self while I was at the college, but here's a photo none-the-less.

30981_4965445816920_700711582_n.jpg

of course there is also one with the helmet on, but lets not embed that

It literally doesnt matter, if you cant see the rank, you wont feel the competitiveness. What happens is psychological you assume the players you beat are just bad...but take a loss harder. So you think you are close to the highest but not there and without knowing where you actually are ever you quickly lose interest in that aspect. Its written about in so many different books. Its why you get grades in school and its why theres trophies in every sport. You cant go against thousands of years of instinct to be the best. A first year psychology student can tell you this.

Stupid stupid move.

It literally doesnt matter, if you cant see the rank, you wont feel the competitiveness. What happens is psychological you assume the players you beat are just bad...but take a loss harder. So you think you are close to the highest but not there and without knowing where you actually are ever you quickly lose interest in that aspect. Its written about in so many different books. Its why you get grades in school and its why theres trophies in every sport. You cant go against thousands of years of instinct to be the best. A first year psychology student can tell you this.

Stupid stupid move.

A random number would achieve the same thing though.

FUD tells the story of Lasky, who is a commander on the Infinity, as a cadet, about ~30 years before H4, in 2526.

Oh ok, damn. Chief was that huge even when really young?

I read Fall of Reach, The Flood, and Ghosts of Onyx, never recall him being 7 ft during his young years.

Thanks for the info. So that's why all the cadets don't know what the Covenant are when they attack in the series...

A few minutes after mentioning some hidden usages for Hologram, David says "throw some grenades on your hologram."
I bet you can stick holograms.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's been kicked to death but it's because many feel like a visual rank is a goal to attain which keeps them playing and trying to improve. It adds juice to a game that is value added content while playing. Without, many will care less game to game because nothing important to them is on the line for a win or loss.
LOL U WANT A NMBER NEXT YOUR NAME TO ENJOY TEH GAME

orznge

Banned
There's not ever going to be matchmaking with a visible rank in a Halo game ever again, and probably never in any FPS developed by a big company that's publicly traded. Now that that's settled let's figure out what the next feature is that we'd like to yell about having in the Halo series until Halo 5's release, at which point we'll move onto a new feature because the last one is now on the Never Being Added To A AAA Game Ever Again list.

orznge

Banned
features that the HaloGAF request crew has outed as not being possible:
  • c̶o̶m̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶e̶n̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶
  • f̶o̶r̶g̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶
  • ?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wait, why was the Elite we saw in Episode 4 of the series wearing the armor of the Storm if it takes place so long ago?

Careful with spoilers for FUD, but basically the "new" Elite armor and character designs are not a canon thing. In Halo 4's world that's the way they've always looked.

orznge

Banned
PARTICIPATION RIBBONS FOR EVERYOOOOOOONE YAAAAAAAY

I know you're joking but if there were both participatory rewards and rewards that were the result of a visible competitive ranking then the latter would ruin people's enjoyment of the former.

orznge

Banned
If I save up enough credits for the lightning helmet and some other guy, who doesn't have the lightning helmet, has a "Level 50 Halo" near his name it's basically the same thing as that guy coming to my house, taking the lightning helmet out of the screen, and stomping it into pieces on my floor.

Careful with spoilers for FUD, but basically the "new" Elite armor and character designs are not a canon thing. In Halo 4's world that's the way they've always looked.

Oh my bad.

That's weird, I could've sworn Frankie or someone else from 343 said the Elites look like they do in H4 because they're part of the "Storm" (extremist splinter group) still hostile to humanity.

And they basically were piecing together their armor with whatever resources they had left which is why it looks the way it does.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh my bad.

That's weird, I could've sworn Frankie or someone else from 343 said the Elites look like they do in H4 because they're part of the "Storm" (extremist splinter group) still hostile to humanity.

And they basically were piecing together their armor with whatever resources they had left which is why it looks the way it does.

You might be correct, but the actual design of them (bodies, etc.) is how they have always been in Halo 4. Armor though, that's interesting.

Blissful

Neo Member

Stupid stupid move.

I'm really disappointed at how 343 handled the ranking issue. They had the time, resources, and funds to figure it out. I actually thought that this company would move the franchise forward, but all it did was add more to the bullshit pile and remove important features that helped differentiate halo from the rest of the console and pc fps games. Thank you 343 for shitting all over my hopes of a ranking system and presenting it in such a poor way to those who cared.

Risen

I know you're joking but if there were both participatory rewards and rewards that were the result of a visible competitive ranking then the latter would ruin people's enjoyment of the former.

I guess that's a good theory and all - but this just does not necessarily follow. Take H3 for example... your grade was the participation ribbon. It reflected amount of time played overall. The more you played, the prettier your ribbon. It was not devalued in any way by a skill based rank, because the skill based rank is a measure of something entirely different... now, people may end up WANTING a high skill based rank over a high participatory grade, but the presence of one doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the other.

For what they were... they actually worked well together in my opinion. Oh I know all the e-peen/morally superior, dick waiving arguments, and I understand the cheating/boosting issue; I just don't place much stock in either. The developer has the tool set to severely impact cheating/boosting... and if I want to measure myself against others, it shouldn't bother other people in the slightest. It's certainly not a reason against having it. I can waive my e-peen at any facet of the game. That's a societal issue, not a function of the game.

For me, ranks were a goal that added juice to the competition. Without them... the game is lessened. They drove me to improving if I wished to attain a higher skilled rank. At the same time, I enjoyed the grades dependent on participation that went alongside the skill based ranks. There was plenty in H3 I disliked - but those two things were good by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom