• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the stream I am glad to see 343 incorporating armor abilities into everything, including the ranking system. /camo troll

Honestly though, it was very nice to find out how extraction plays. It looks more fun than I thought.
We are going to have fun with it, baby.

Fuchsdh

No not their bodies, I'm specifically talking about their armor.

I definitely recall 343 mentioning why their armor is the way it is now in H4, which is why it's all the more puzzling that it's in FUD...
I figure that was a cost cutting measure. Use the high res Halo 4 assets means less work. Doubt most of the other stuff would hold up well on screen. But yeah canonically it's still wack. On the other hand we didn't have to see Godzilla jackals with the sniper helms.

Risen

Yeah, I agree to an extent but seems to me that the biggest annoyance will come at long range 1v1 encounters. I imagine any medium-to-close encounters will result in the attacker sprinting to harass the HLS. It doesn't block melees, right?

I feel like I will be more annoyed at close range encounters more often than long because of team play. At close ranges, I'm much more likely to get killed by his team mates who are saving his bacon due to him buying time. So instead of my team getting numbers by that guy going down, game paused, and oh wait it's even or we are down a man in a crucial team fight; all because of the dreaded button press.

At long ranges it will more often be a zero net change in the game... at close ranges there is a higher chance there will be swings in positioning and team numbers alive due to the shield coming out.

Of course... I will have my own wild card to play so I guess that's balance... right?

Akai__

Does somebody know, what Ellis said about the flag gametype? Friend said it wouldn't be dropable at launch, which was already stated many times now, but what did he say about the future for flag gametypes?

Can't watch right now, because I'm on mobileGAF and not at home.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Seriously though. Is no one else bothered by the fact that 'pro slayer' is limited to the same shit it was ten years ago? What the fuck is the point of working on armor abilities and weapon balance..then just deciding..'well these 3 weapons are good enough'. Cod comparisons aside..i have wanted to have a carbine as a starting weapon since halo 3. What the hell. There are so many 'marksman' weapons that would make the game super interesting competitively but instead we gotta see the same 3 fucking guns we have been seeing since CE. Honestly I hope most people go infinity slayer because slayer pro just fucking sucks out of the box.

JackHerer

Does somebody know, what Ellis said about the flag gametype? Friend said it wouldn't be dropable at launch, which was already stated many times now, but what did he say about the future for flag gametypes?

All he said is that, as of now, there is no option included to change the default flag-carrier settings. No talk about future plans to include more custom options or anything.

Overdoziz

Banned
Seriously though. Is no one else bothered by the fact that 'pro slayer' is limited to the same shit it was ten years ago? What the fuck is the point of working on armor abilities and weapon balance..then just deciding..'well these 3 weapons are good enough'. Cod comparisons aside..i have wanted to have a carbine as a starting weapon since halo 3. What the hell. There are so many 'marksman' weapons that would make the game super interesting competitively but instead we gotta see the same 3 fucking guns we have been seeing since CE. Honestly I hope most people go infinity slayer because slayer pro just fucking sucks out of the box.
Because even 343 knows the game isn't competitively viable with all the crap they've added. Why do you care anyway? It's only one playlist, go play Infinity Slayer if you want to play the game with all the new stuff.

lol. I never played a CE (xbox) version with the Battle Rifle.

because it's just one playlist for people who don't want the game clouded in fishisms. i don't remember the br or dmr in ce though.

Pavaloo

In 1v1 scenerios with hardlight shield wouldnt you just wait for their shield to go down and unload on their face? I understand for long range scenerios it's not quite the case, but I imagine as they drop the hardlight shield you can take them out before it has any time to recharge. I haven't been watching the stream though, so I could be wrong about that aa recharge time.

JackHerer

Not really. It provides what it is meant to as far as a hardcore playlist goes. It's supposed to be stripped down. That's the point.

Hey You

I really hope they can add gametypes after launch.

I think they were waiting to see the reaction the general public had about CTF. If its well accepted they wont add the other ones. So everyone act bitchy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Because even 343 knows the game isn't competitively viable with all the crap they've added. Why do you care anyway? It's only one playlist, go play Infinity Slayer if you want to play the game with all the new stuff.

because it's just one playlist for people who don't want the game clouded in fishisms. i don't remember the br or dmr in ce though.

The same dudes who complained about the formula getting stale are the same ones who complain about the changes. Level the playing field. Don't coddle the 'pros'. I care because the pro community identifies intangibles they cant deal with then decide its not worth fucking with. Competitive halo is a prime example of that. I dont wanna watch mlg whatever city and it being literally the exact same shit i been watching ten years ago. Unify the game across the board. Every game has certain tactics that prevail over others. Get over it.

Risen

I think I'm annoyed with the WAY it's being pared down. I think from a competitive perspective, less is more to a certain extent. I DO think there is a place for a more hardcore offering which removes some of the fluff and distills the game down to it's core to maximize the effect a player has on the game play and minimize the effect game mechanics have on the game play.

Having said that... I'd like to see it with the full suite of weapons. Restrict the AA's, or change how they are implemented by making them pick ups. Make them power ups to control... or keep only the movement enhancers like Dexterity, Jet Pack, or Thruster while relegating items like the Regen Field or Turret to pick ups. Have damage boost and overshield as pickups.

The items in and of themselves aren't awful for competitive play depending on their implementation.

Remove the personal ordnance drop and global ordnance drops and implement a static system on timers with powerful things as drops on the map. I wouldn't even change player traits like movement speed... keep them the same so there is consistency throughout.

I think they were waiting to see the reaction the general public had about CTF. If its well accepted they wont add the other ones. So everyone act bitchy.
squad slayer and propipe tell me that we should say we like it.

super glue flagnum was the best thing to happen to the gametype, 343 saved halo.

The same dudes who complained about the formula getting stale are the same ones who complain about the changes. Level the playing field. Don't coddle the 'pros'. I care because the pro community identifies intangibles they cant deal with then decide its not worth fucking with. Competitive halo is a prime example of that. I dont wanna watch mlg whatever city and it being literally the exact same shit i been watching ten years ago. Unify the game across the board. Every game has certain tactics that prevail over others. Get over it.
i didn't complain about staleness then change. so why don't you get over it and accept that people want different things out of the game.

feel

I would be bothered if it was the same random clusterfuck party mode as the rest of the game, no point to it that way. And I'm defintely not bothered about the spawn weapons being all UNSC, there's still weapons drops happening all over the place for some variety.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't care about MLG streams or whatever, I like playing barebones Halo. That's what Halo is about to me; its simplicity. Two teams that start on an even playing-field and have to use whatever on the map to win. Nothing more, nothing less. No loadouts - let alone customizable ones - , no AAs, no perks, no bullshit.

Akai__

All he said is that, as of now, there is no option included to change the default flag-carrier settings. No talk about future plans to include more custom options or anything.

Ah okay. Thanks. Would be pretty badass, if the Halo community stands up, against those changes and they would patch it, so that it would be dropable again. But, who am I fooling, right?

I really hope they can add gametypes after launch.

Technically, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Many games are giving you new playmodes with future DLC or with a patch.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't care about MLG streams or whatever, I like playing barebones Halo. That's what Halo is about to me; its simplicity. Two teams that start on an even playing-field and have to use whatever on the map to win. Nothing more, nothing less. No loadouts - let alone customizable ones - , no AAs, no perks, no bullshit.

And !important! no radar.

I agree with Over.

BigShow36

In 1v1 scenerios with hardlight shield wouldnt you just wait for their shield to go down and unload on their face? I understand for long range scenerios it's not quite the case, but I imagine as they drop the hardlight shield you can take them out before it has any time to recharge. I haven't been watching the stream though, so I could be wrong about that aa recharge time.

Sure, assuming they don't move to cover and that their teammate doesn't come by and clean you up before you can finish them off. So you have to wait around for about 5 seconds and hope that nothing happens.

The problem is that certain tactics previal because they are A) Easy and B) Overpowered. Just because certain tactics rise to the top doesn't mean there is any meaningful depth or skill involved. The idea is to pare the gameplay back to the point where player ability, choices and actions determine the outcome, not who can whore the most unblanced aspect of the sandbox.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think I'm annoyed with the WAY it's being pared down. I think from a competitive perspective, less is more to a certain extent. I DO think there is a place for a more hardcore offering which removes some of the fluff and distills the game down to it's core to maximize the effect a player has on the game play and minimize the effect game mechanics have on the game play.

Having said that... I'd like to see it with the full suite of weapons. Restrict the AA's, or change how they are implemented by making them pick ups. Make them power ups to control... or keep only the movement enhancers like Dexterity, Jet Pack, or Thruster while relegating items like the Regen Field or Turret to pick ups. Have damage boost and overshield as pickups.

The items in and of themselves aren't awful for competitive play depending on their implementation.

Remove the personal ordnance drop and global ordnance drops and implement a static system on timers with powerful things as drops on the map. I wouldn't even change player traits like movement speed... keep them the same so there is consistency throughout.

Good points..Honestly i have no definitive rebuttals and would be open to a discussion
squad slayer and propipe tell me that we should say we like it.

super glue flagnum was the best thing to happen to the gametype, 343 saved halo.

i didn't complain about staleness then change. so why don't you get over it and accept that people want different things out of the game.

Weird. I embraced the change. Just pointing out that the mlg mindset negated the entire point. hey we developed all this shit that only casuals will use cause the mlg crowd are a bunch of tightasses who dont want to deal with a new game

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I wish everyone else was like you.

Overdoziz

Banned
Weird. I embraced the change. Just pointing out that the mlg mindset negated the entire point. hey we developed all this shit that only casuals will use cause the mlg crowd are a bunch of tightasses who dont want to deal with a new game
Except that MLG usually starts out with gametypes and maps that are close to the out-of-the-box game and slowly starts removing stuff as they start noticing that some (read: most) things that Bungie adds simply doesn't work for competitive play. They even had Armor Lock in Reach MLG for crying out loud.

Sure, assuming they don't move to cover and that their teammate doesn't come by and clean you up before you can finish them off. So you have to wait around for about 5 seconds and hope that nothing happens.
why sit around and wait? why not try to circle around him? there's a sluggishness to hls, and if i use mobility i can simply sprint to get a better point on them. if being famished on grenades is a concern, use resupply. if you are just in a case where you don't have any suitable weaponry or grenades, and the layout isn't allowing you to get a better vantage, then you're just gonna have to take that lump i guess. i don't even know the full extent of it yet, but if it can be drained by taking damage then you have even more to consider.

Dear God.

At 1:25:13-14 in the stream, the player launches a hologram, it goes onto a dead body, and it starts teabagging.

THE HOLOGRAM STARTS TEABAGGING.

why sit around and wait? why not try to circle around him? there's a sluggishness to hls, and if i use mobility i can simply sprint to get a better point on them. if being famished on grenades is a concern, use resupply. if you are just in a case where you don't have any suitable weaponry or grenades, and the layout isn't allowing you to get a better vantage, then you're just gonna have to take that lump i guess. i don't even know the full extent of it yet, but if it can be drained by taking damage then you have even more to consider.

In other words, a rock-paper-scissors situation where most all of the counters are not inherent in your character and have to be chosen at a menu.

I wish everyone else was like you.
a person that likes a playlist that you don't and feel shouldn't be in the game?

i'm with over on this, my personal anticipation of slayer pro isn't an mlg thing, i couldn't give a hemorrhaging fuck about mlg nerds. so maybe you should reconsider what it is you're actually opposing here with the inclusion of the gametype in the playlist.

I figure that was a cost cutting measure. Use the high res Halo 4 assets means less work. Doubt most of the other stuff would hold up well on screen. But yeah canonically it's still wack. On the other hand we didn't have to see Godzilla jackals with the sniper helms.

Now that's just grasping at straws man...

Some extra armor pieces in place of textured skin wouldn't make a difference.

It's an inconsistency until 343 explains it.

BigShow36

Because these encounters don't happen in a vacuum. The same theorycrafting was used by people attempting to defend AL or attempting to defend SMG starts in Halo 2. You can make up all these scenarios that "solve" the problem, but that don't work in reality. The fact is, you're giving players the ability to pause an encounter, but not the rest of the game, simply by choosing a loadout and pressing a button.

The entire onus falls on the attacking player to either retreat or hang around wating to get cleaned up simply because someone presses a button.

In other words, a rock-paper-scissors situation where most all of the counters are not inherent in your character and have to be chosen at a menu.
not necessarily, you can be better suited with some loadout options but you can still be prepared for it outside of that. you could maybe even set yourself with a jack of all trades setup that lets you get away with every scenario but nothing too strongly either way. in the case of not having grenades for hls: resupply, that would benefit you in everything.

Because these encounters don't happen in a vacuum. The same theorycrafting was used by people attempting to defend AL or attempting to defend SMG starts in Halo 2. You can make up all these scenarios that "solve" the problem, but that don't work in reality. The fact is, you're giving players the ability to pause an encounter, but not the rest of the game, simply by choosing a loadout and pressing a button.

The entire onus falls on the attacking player to either retreat or hang around wating to get cleaned up simply because someone presses a button.
while true, al had nothing to actually work against it. the entire ability always worked as it was meant to, you activate the button and there was nothing that could be done once it's activated. hls takes a similar role but has a number of options to engage with once deployed. i guess all i can say is that the opposite is true and that not being a vacuum also applies to not being damning evidence against it.

neoism

woow lol didn't know the codes were on the doritos bags lol should have just took pictures of like 20 bags... 9mathces so far...

ok so WTF i'm getting an error when trying to log in to xbox through the xp site...Is it fucked for anyone else..?

AFAIK it's not dropable, and I've not seen anything from 343 to give me reason to believe that's going to change.

My bigger beef is with the auto-pickup. That's the aspect I'd most like to see changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom