• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavaloo

The entire onus falls on the attacking player to either retreat or hang around wating to get cleaned up simply because someone presses a button.

I understand that you don't like how this effects the flow of gameplay and the pace of battles, but I feel the exact same way about long range sniping weapons and camping strategies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
a person that likes a playlist that you don't and feel shouldn't be in the game?

i'm with over on this, my personal anticipation of slayer pro isn't an mlg thing, i couldn't give a hemorrhaging fuck about mlg nerds. so maybe you should reconsider what it is you're actually opposing here with the inclusion of the gametype in the playlist.

Dude..my opposition is due the fact that half the weapons are missing from the 'pro' playlist. Due to the fact that..well i dont know. If youre cool with 3 weapons..hey..whatever. Have a good night.

Duji

You guys remember that vid where Frankie is on a stage somewhere in Europe answering questions?

Didn't he say that there will be something for those who are obsessed with having a skill-based rank?

Please tell me there's still hope.

Dude..my opposition is due the fact that half the weapons are missing from the 'pro' playlist. Due to the fact that..well i dont know. If youre cool with 3 weapons..hey..whatever. Have a good night.
i don't know about half, but slayer pro will be more than the three weapons you can spawn with.

Pop

woow lol didn't know the codes were on the doritos bags lol should have just took pictures of like 20 bags... 9mathces so far...

ok so WTF i'm getting an error when trying to log in to xbox through the xp site...Is it fucked for anyone else..?

Big bag of doritos gives you 12 matches...

Overdoziz

Banned
Due to the fact that automatic rifles have a skill-gap the size of a peanut.
According to Kevin Franklin, your three choices for primary weapons in Slayer Pro will be BR, DMR and AR.
You can choose the AR in Slayer Pro? sigh...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
a person that likes a playlist that you don't and feel shouldn't be in the game?

i'm with over on this, my personal anticipation of slayer pro isn't an mlg thing, i couldn't give a hemorrhaging fuck about mlg nerds. so maybe you should reconsider what it is you're actually opposing here with the inclusion of the gametype in the playlist.

Sure ..i respect your right to be into whatever you are into.. I just stated that i feel that the pro playlist is way too limited...I want more weapons. We can disagree..its cool. Hey also i never stated anything should be out of the game.

Pop

You guys remember that vid where Frankie is on a stage somewhere in Europe answering questions?

Didn't he say that there will be something for those who are obsessed with having a skill-based rank?

Please tell me there's still hope.

Yeah True Skill will match you accordingly :/

At this point I'm disappointed, I never thought 343i would go the route of Bungie and scrap skill ranks. Hell Blops 2 will have a marvelous skill ranking system.

Sure ..i respect your right to be into whatever you are into.. I just stated that i feel that the pro playlist is way too limited...I want more weapons. We can disagree..its cool. Hey also i never stated anything should be out of the game.
it is not even a case of weaponry as i'm more opposed to the surrounding mechanics that the rest of the game is fluffed with (and that i'm subsequently advocating some devils here in a simultaneous discussion). i don't know what the entire weapon set of slayer pro will be, but the ones i care about will be there, as well as removing the things that seem questionable right now. you can have your infinity slayer to use the entire weapon set, experience points, doritos, loadouts, killstreaks, perks, radar, gamer fuel, etc.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i don't know about half, but slayer pro will be more than the three weapons you can spawn with.

Due to the fact that automatic rifles have a skill-gap the size of a peanut.

You can choose the AR in Slayer Pro? sigh...

I dont know about any of this. Im advocating for adversity. 3 weapons we have all played with in the previous games. Why not start with the LR and the Carbine?

Duji

To me it feels like those times when the teacher punishes the whole class for what the idiots -- cheaters/boosters in this case -- did. The funny part of it all is that boosting is actually extremely easy to fix. See: League of Legends.

neoism

ib0Smb6A4W9MeR.png
guys what am i doing wrong or is this site just fucked..... goddamn.. glad I didn't buy anymore than I did... damn should have took pictures
Big bag of doritos gives you 12 matches...

got 3 of the size above to little ones... :/

IHaveIce

Banned

I dont know about any of this. Im advocating for adversity. 3 weapons we have all played with in the previous games. Why not start with the LR and the Carbine?

Dude we don't know the whole weapon pool of Slayer Pro and the starting weapons could still be added. Maybe the LR is on the map or I don't know.

But the most appealing thing about Slayer Pro is the lack of armor abilities, different armor mods and radar.

EDIT: I ALSO WAANT COOODES :(((

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't know, I honestly don't get that either. Slayer Pro as it is in Halo 4 right seems like it's in between being a bare bones playlist and being a normal one. It's not really a classic playlist either.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
it is not even a case of weaponry as i'm more opposed to the surrounding mechanics that the rest of the game is fluffed with (and that i'm subsequently advocating some devils here in a simultaneous discussion). i don't know what the entire weapon set of slayer pro will be, but the ones i care about will be there, as well as removing the things that seem questionable right now. you can have your infinity slayer to use the entire weapon set, experience points, doritos, loadouts, killstreaks, perks, radar, gamer fuel, etc.

So once again we're splitting up the community between the things 'designed for the casuals and the 'pro' shit. This really sucks. Why even bother with armor abilites and all that shit fi you cant use it in 'competitive play'.

So once again we're splitting up the community between the things 'designed for the casuals and the 'pro' shit. This really sucks. Why even bother with armor abilites and all that shit fi you cant use it in 'competitive play'.
this is exactly what we've spent 11 ots wondering ourselves.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Uh, no. This is akin to hardcore mode and other shit like search and destroy.

The sky isn't falling.

I dunno. I think by decreasing the number of weapons it becomes harder to be better than others. This creates a competitive environment. The thing thats brilliant is the things they do add have such a large gap in skill that there is a huge drive to get better and better.

Now don't think pros cant adapt cause traditionally, they can go into any playlist and wreck kids just as hard.

The problem with a lot of other weapons is these MLG teams have such great teamwork every long range weapon becomes overpowered because they set up crossfire. Where one enemy steps somewhere and they get hit instantly from two people sometimes more. This means a weapon like a plasma rifle is useless because it doesn't hit instantly and has no distance, so eventually it gets ignored and removed.

Now think of the carbine...its pretty much the DMR. Theres maybe a slight difference here and there but its really just a counterweapon for the campaign. Its unneccessary if you just give everyone the original weapon its meant to counter. Its a superfluous unneeded gun.

Overdoziz

Banned
And this is why COD has owned halo since cod4
Yes. Nobody is saying it's not a logical step to cater more to the casual player, that's what sells you copies. Competitive play scares off a lot of people so it makes sense to make the game more accessible to new and bad players. But often this will lower the overall skill-gap which hurts the competitive players the most.

BigShow36

Maybe answered, but what do they mean when they say PO selection is based on percentage?

I'd assume they mean that each "option" in player ordnance has a percentage chance of dropping.

For example:

Binary Rifle (5%)
Sniper Rifle (15%)
Needler (10%)
Rocker Launcher (15%)

etc.

Each time you got a PO, you would have a 5% chance that it was the Binary Rifle.

I would assume that each of the three slots has a set number of options that can drop so there won't be duplicates.

I'd assume they mean that each "option" in player ordnance has a percentage chance of dropping.

For example:

Binary Rifle (5%)
Sniper Rifle (15%)
Needler (10%)
Rocker Launcher (15%)

etc.

I would assume that each of the three slots has a set number of options that can drop so there won't be duplicates.
I believe you can edit these percentages and weapons for custom games too, so you could always have it be rockets, or sniper, or overshield, etc.

Redford

aka Cabbie

For example:

Binary Rifle (5%)
Sniper Rifle (15%)
Needler (10%)
Rocker Launcher (15%)

etc.

Each time you got a PO, you would have a 5% chance that it was the Binary Rifle.

Ah, I see, thanks. When I saw the Binary Rifle drop in the BTB video I thought it had to be based on a skill-metric.

Haha..

Kibbles

welp just canceled meh LE and saved 100 bones... feels good man

I kept my pre-order so I can sell it to make up for my purchase of the standard edition, get the Map Pack Pass, and have some extra money left over, since it seems to be selling at a nice price.

So iirc, everyone who plays within the first 2 weeks you will have the same 6 specializations as the LE?

BigShow36

Ah, I see, thanks. When I saw the Binary Rifle drop in the BTB video I thought it had to be based on a skill-metric.

Haha..

Hah, it would be more likely to be based around a mario kart system; people in the back get the good shit.

But no, it's based on percentages and a random number, and yes, you can edit the percentages for custom games.

CoD also has a barebones playlist, I don't see people complaining about the inclusion in that game.

Halo players are scrambling for explanations as to why Halo is losing players; "splitting the player base" is just another lame excuse in a long line of lame excuses that avoid the actual issue.

So iirc, everyone who plays within the first 2 weeks you will have the same 6 specializations as the LE?
That's what I've heard, but you still have to get to level 50 before you can even re-enlist for a specialization, so I don't know what good it does to have them early. There's gotta be something I'm missing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, you guys are still going strong over here. I'm going to try to stick it out in the Halo 4 OT. Feeling masochistic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CoD also has a barebones playlist, I don't see people complaining about the inclusion in that game.

Exactly. How do "pros" deal with with care packages, perks, etc. in CoD? I think the competitive community should embrace Halo changes, not ask for stripped down playlists.

I had assumed in my mind you linked to the "actual" OT and thought "awww, he should have linked to kylej's".
Forgive my foolish assumption, well done.
Exactly. How do "pros" deal with with care packages, perks, etc. in CoD? I think the competitive community should embrace Halo changes, not ask for stripped down playlists.
By it not being a big part of the competitive scene? Although clearly Treyarch are hoping to change that.

blamite

That's what I've heard, but you still have to get to level 50 before you can even re-enlist for a specialization, so I don't know what good it does to have them early. There's gotta be something I'm missing.

If, hypothetically, you reached level 50 day one, you would only have two choices of specializations to enlist in, out of the eight total that exist. The rest will be unlocked over time after release. If you have the LE you can choose any of the 8 whenever you want, without having to wait for them to be made available to the general public.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hah, it would be more likely to be based around a mario kart system; people in the back get the good shit.

But no, it's based on percentages and a random number, and yes, you can edit the percentages for custom games.

343 took care of all the options in this game, this is proof.

-_-

TheOddOne

I think people misunderstood with what I meant by the CoD barebones playlist. I'm all for options, whether this be of any kind. Options are good regardless.

Duji

Yes. Nobody is saying it's not a logical step to cater more to the casual player, that's what sells you copies. Competitive play scares off a lot of people so it makes sense to make the game more accessible to new and bad players. But often this will lower the overall skill-gap which hurts the competitive players the most.

What bothers me is that there are so many other ways to appeal to the casuals without hurting the competitive merit of the game, yet they are often not utilized effectively if at all in Halo's case.

There's a myth that seems to be going around: a game that is too competitive won't be popular. It's funny how none of these people that spout this can explain why the #1 PC game right now is League of Legends. LoL's number one priority is competitive balance; they are constantly releasing updates to balance the game. They grab the attention of the casual audience by their free-to-play business model, unlockable characters & skins, spectator mode, an unranked mode, and most of all -- a game that is fun because of how well balanced it is.

Let's also not forget the insane popularity of StarCraft & CounterStrike in the past. Both those games sold a ton.

Most people enjoy competitively balanced games because they are fair and lack frustrating, BS moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom