• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

orznge

Banned
Fair enough, but that was literally the only game that played like that. I feel like its counter-productive to cling to it when it has been so long and the game is still playable online on PC.

That said, I only feel this way because it seems like everyone has their own vision of how they'd want the Halo series to have progressed.

Fair enough, but the subsequent games all play like a weird frankenstein monster made from each other.

orznge

Banned
It's wrong to want a game that shares elements of CE's design which largely have not been replicated or explored in any other game. The game is dead, get over it.

Overdoziz

Banned
For me they could've done all kinds of things with the multiplayer, as long as people can't spawn with different things at spawn. The idea behind equipment was fine, the problem was that the equipment pieces them selves mostly did nothing except slow down gameplay (Bubble shield, Regenarator) or annoy people (Radar Jammer, Flare). Plus, the spawned way too frequently. An example of equipment done right is the Gravity Lift. This one doesn't negatively affect gameplay and is great for objective gametypes. I think a combination of power-ups, equipment and armor abilities could work out great as long as they're placed on the map.

m23

Damn video's not working for me, fuck. It gets to the part where Major Nelson turns the camera around to introduce everyone then the video just stops.

edit: working now

ZalinKrow

Glad I caught the stream earlier, really enjoyed it. Also didn't expect IGN's Vortex walkthrough to be out already. Thought that was due out tomorrow.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just finished fall of reach. Should I read first strike or skip to ghosts? Was also thinking of going right to the reclaimer trilogy.

Fall of Reach > First Strike > Ghost of Onyx etc.

Or assuming you mean the Forerunner Trilogy, start it. I think you will have a blast knowing some stuff of it and then playing Halo 4 ;)

^^^Do this, Reach > First Strike > Onyx > Glasslands are really one long continuous series.
Is that the deal? Started reading a bit of Glasslands, but I do feel like I'm walking into the middle of something I'm lacking setup for. Sometimes that can work, but here I am just out of my depth entirely.

I've only read Fall of Reach and Evolutions besides (oh and the Cryptum series).

Not going to lie, I'm kind of glad there are no viewable skill ranks.
I don't want any until there are dedicated servers to hide my IP address.
I've been had my network flooded by cheaters in Reach several times, I can't even imagine what it would be like if there was a ranking system.

I don't know why CE fans are complaining, 343 Industries clearly used CE as an inspiration in its response to all the fans asking for a user-facing skill ranking system.

I just got the tweet about the new Waypoint store and it's already down. At least I know I found the right store.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Doing something with multiplayer, I don't really want to review it quite yet but do impressions how it is without the fluff/honeymoon phase. The game can evolve a lot from how it is now, wouldn't be fair to try and grade it quite yet.

Cyren, saw your tweet earlier today about ranks and "invisible friends." If THC is one of driving forces behind the competitive community- any thoughts in implementing a ranking ladder of your own?

Not much substance to the idea- but I'd assume someone in the community would be talented enough to back out an effective ranking system by taking W/L and game history. This all assumes skill matchmaking works, of course.

I also realize HaloTracker does stuff like this, but there is apparently still a big need here.

orznge

Banned
I don't know why CE fans are complaining, 343 Industries clearly used CE as an inspiration in its response to all the fans asking for a user-facing skill ranking system.

I just got the tweet about the new Waypoint store and it's already down. At least I know I found the right store.

lol

feel

laughed

Halo was always based as an arena style shooter. Every person starts with the same weapons, the same attributes, and the same (balanced) spawn position that allows them to choose what they want to try to pickup in the beginning.

It gets thrown around a lot (to the point that it has lost a lot of the meaning) but Reach really did introduce the roll the dice / rock paper scisssors mechanic into Halo. This wasn't traditionally in the Halo playbook and it was too radical for a lot of the core group to stay with the series. Even the competitive leagues largely died off.

it was a revolutionary new look at what Halo could be and ultimately that gamble didn't pay off.

1. There are still playlists for that arean style play, so little to argue about here in my opinion.

2. That roll the dice mechanic actually still exists in the arena version too. Once the spawns are picked up and the first battles are out of the way your next encounter is very much chance and team communication about who, where, what etc. To me all loadouts do is speed this process up, to me it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary here and helps remove having to run, time or camp around fixed weapon spawns that can be farmed even.

3. I disagree, Reach was evolutionary. Look at the facts; very similar vehicles, weapons, strafe, jump, teamwork, map flows, choke points, power weapons not in loadouts, gametypes, playlists etc etc. In the end you may think arena vs. progression is vastly different but when you look at the evolution from CE, 2, 3 & Reach you can clearly see it as an iterative process and not a complete revolution.

J10

Banned
The Cortana figure looks like she's wearing a girdle and it's seriously cutting her circulation the fuck off.

orznge

Banned
2. That roll the dice mechanic actually still exists in the arena version too. Once the spawns are picked up and the first battles are out of the way your next encounter is very much chance and team communication about who, where, what etc. To me all loadouts do is speed this process up, to me it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary here and helps remove having to run, time or camp around fixed weapon spawns that can be farmed even.

yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom