• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

No Didact symbol shirt.
No Offensive Bias symbol shirt.
No Forerunner symbol patches.
No 343 hoodie.
Only beanie has obnoxious UNSC logo.

I want to waste my money 343!

I made a halloween comic. It has a halo community reference.
122.png

Just finished fall of reach. Should I read first strike or skip to ghosts? Was also thinking of going right to the reclaimer trilogy.

In the past month I've read through Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, and Glasslands. In that order. First Strike is a bit odd as it takes place between CE and H2, but still good. The Nylund books are pretty quick reads too.

Actually really agree with the bolded. Then I wrote a long post not many will read...

I honestly think they should have straight up copied Call of Duty in one aspect (and one aspect only). COD makes minor graphical updates and changes very little in the way of core gameplay year to year. They basically make small iterative changes to a game everyone has know, essentially, since MW2 hit the market. On top of that they release a game every single year. In a yearly development/release cycle two things become de facto. 1) You don't have a long time to implement massive changes. 2) All of the smaller changes are more readily accepted by your fanbase because they are all used to your pace and the rate at which the game has progressed to date.

In Halo, with a 3 (or more) year development cycle those two things that have made COD so successful are now working against you. With a longer development time you now have the potential to throw a lot of changes into your title. At the same time the core of your fanbase, the kids/pros/adults/etc., that are still playing your game a full three years after launch have now grown accustomed to a specific iteration of Halo. When you introduce a new game mechanic (especially some of the changes that are so obviously borrowing from other titles) it becomes jarring, abrupt, and shreds a small (or large) part of your most die hard fans. This becomes a downward spiral as you continue to chase larger and larger sales (with larger budgets, more bells and whistles, and more new features copped from other titles) while consistently leaving your core fanatics farther and farther from the Halo they want.

Damn, missed some really good discussions again.. Felt compelled to quote this because of how true it is.

To piggyback on what willow said, it's also difficult because if we get those annual releases CoD has, then M$/343 will run into the community thinking Halo's being milked even more than what people are already saying (which I completely disagree with). It's a shitty cycle either way, especially if people only choose to focus on the negatives..

Personally, my body needs a constant flow of Halo experiences. If 343 develops Halo 5 to ship 3 years from now, I'd hope there are other big Halo releases, otherwise this cycle willow pointed out is sure to continue. 2 years seems like it would be the perfect sweet spot though for numbered Halo releases, especially since 343 has a lot of manpower and M$ is not scared to throw money into Halo (rightfully so).

Halo 4 is an excellent compromise between delivering an authentic Halo experience while simultaneously chasing broader markets. Halo 4 may very well be the most approachable Halo game to date.

The only area I feel they dropped the ball was in restricting options in certain gametypes. There's no reason the flag could not be set to droppable (among other options) in customs.

This is why I don't complain nearly as much as I could because I feel comfortable in saying Halo 4 will be the best Halo experience since 2 IMO, especially with the gameplay. It's definitely a step in the right direction for the franchise.

Trey

Halo 4 is an excellent compromise between delivering an authentic Halo experience while simultaneously chasing broader markets. Halo 4 may very well be the most approachable Halo game to date.

The only area I feel they dropped the ball was in restricting options in certain gametypes. There's no reason the flag could not be set to droppable (among other options) in customs.

approachable in what sense? i just think that people start losing sight that halo is actually one of the more casual fps experiences you can have as well as being one of the highest selling FPSes ever. halo IS the broad market, but not exclusively so.

Doodis

Anyone ever preordered from the Microsoft Store before? I got free shipping and I'm wondering if they'll ship it early so it arrives on Tuesday, or if I'll be waiting five days while everyone else is playing.

/shouldhavethoughtofthisearlier

I still have one hour left to post this & be relevant, Happy Halloween HaloGAF!

http://i.imgur.com/A5zNd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

dawww, so cute! hahah

So has 343 talked about the Falcon yet and why it's not in MP? Watching that [URL="http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-4/Vortex"]IGN Vortex Walkthrough[/URL] and the other BTB maps makes the Falcon's removal all the more disappointing [i]and[/i] puzzling.

-[i]EDIT[/i]-

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497808&page=30"]Oh we have a new OT now..[/URL]

willow ve

1. There are still playlists for that arean style play, so little to argue about here in my opinion.

2. That roll the dice mechanic actually still exists in the arena version too. Once the spawns are picked up and the first battles are out of the way your next encounter is very much chance and team communication about who, where, what etc. To me all loadouts do is speed this process up, to me it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary here and helps remove having to run, time or camp around fixed weapon spawns that can be farmed even.

3. I disagree, Reach was evolutionary. Look at the facts; very similar vehicles, weapons, strafe, jump, teamwork, map flows, choke points, power weapons not in loadouts, gametypes, playlists etc etc. In the end you may think arena vs. progression is vastly different but when you look at the evolution from CE, 2, 3 & Reach you can clearly see it as an iterative process and not a complete revolution.

1. There is a single playlist that kinda, sorta, mimics the core of what Halo was. In this playlist you do not have radar and you still get to choose your starting weapon. We have yet to see how spawning works in Slayer Pro, but this isn't a simple evolutionary step past the history of Halo; this is an attempt to shoehorn nostalgia (or "competition") into a product that has already moved on.

2*. The roll the dice mechanic is much more prevalent in a class based (loadout) scenario. For instance, in Reach, against a team of jetpackers or a team of armor lock users (before the TU) there is typically a single outcome. Either you switch your loadout to mirror theirs, or you lose. This will most likely become apparent in Halo 4 (just as it is prevalent in BF3 or COD). Granted there will be some players who consistently just pick what they prefer, what they have nostalgia for, or what they want 100% of the time. Then there will be a set of players who are forced to change their loadout/spawn setup after matches begin to effectively counter the opposition loadouts. The mere fact that there are loadouts in Halo is revolutionary for the franchise (not for gaming in general, just for Halo).

3. Agree to disagree. In my opinion any game that is an arena shooter is completely different than a class based loadout system. They are related in the same way that dogs and cats are both domesticated pets that live with people. Yes you can argue all day that dogs and cats are very similar and look at all of these same/similar characteristics, but at the end of the day you have arena shooter vs class based shooter. In my opinion one is more balanced and fair. One is also more "Halo."

2. That roll the dice mechanic actually still exists in the arena version too. Once the spawns are picked up and the first battles are out of the way your next encounter is very much chance and team communication about who, where, what etc.

* To me this is the beauty of what Halo used to be. Yes the first bits of battle and the last moments of a match often devolved into scripted scenarios. The middle was the sticky part that required teamwork, communication, and skill. In many ways this parallels the way that chess is competitively played. Once an opening is chosen by a player there is generally a very technical counter to that open. After the first 7-13 moves the match gets interesting and becomes skill based until very close to the end when one player clearly has victory in their sights and it quickly concludes.

With loadouts, global ordnance, kill streaks, instant respawn, and random spawning all over the map it feels like, to me, that midway through a match the rules have changed. It would be like playing chess and suddenly your rook or knight moves differently due to an unforeseen and entirely unpredictable metric that arbitrarily changes the board throughout the match. This doesn't mean that Halo 4 is a failure, or that we all won't play copious amounts of it over the next month (or year or years), but it does mean that Halo 4 has moved ever farther away from what used to differentiate Halo from the rest of the shooters.

That first point is wrong. There is no small maps in Halo. So there is no arena like barebones playlist. There is 4v4 or 5v5 on maps that are too big. Congrats welcome to Halo 4.

Homeboyd

edt: Homeboyd, accept my friend request ya jerk
I just logged into xbox.com for this. You and toddler. APPRECIATE MEEEEEEEE

Hadn't hooked my xbox up yet... I've got to make some room for SpOps at some point. Or just go buy a USB. Not sure what to do yet... My point; I haven't played much recently. Gunna get back on the saddle next week.

Fotos

That first point is wrong. There is no small maps in Halo. So there is no arena like barebones playlist. There is 4v4 or 5v5 on maps that are too big. Congrats welcome to Halo 4.

You can't have small maps when sprint is default. Haven is considered a small map for sprint.

Duji

Hopefully we get at least 4 small maps from out of the 9 dlc maps.

JackHerer

You can't have small maps when sprint is default. Haven is considered a small map for sprint.

Not just universal sprint, but also instant respawn means that small maps are a thing of the past.

Calling it now, we will not get any DLC maps that are smaller than the ones we have on the disc.

willow ve

Waypoint is going off, understandably. Lack of visible ranks is a shame.

Wow. We all knew there would be some backlash, but I didn't expect 3/4 of the first two pages to all be about visible skill ranks. Maybe they'll show it to the end user. They made a few attempts at a PR spin saying it wasn't visible "yet" or other such nonsense to that affect.

This again? It's been stated time and again that maps like, say, Chill Out or Heretic simply will not work with universal sprint.

If you haven't understood yet, you simply never will.

And Instant Respawn, forgot that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom