• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirvana

Waypoint is going off, understandably. Lack of visible ranks is a shame.

Not going near that with a Hazmat suit. The uproar is going to be incredibly over the top, even if I agree that it's justified to an extent.

I definitely wanted to see ranked and social playlists, they should have kept the Reach style ranking as one portion and had a separate numbered ranking system for specific gametypes. If boosting was going to be an issue, only allow the players to see their own ranks and noone elses.

You can't have small maps when sprint is default. Haven is considered a small map for sprint.

You can you just have to be better or youll get pooped on even harder. Or take Midship and make it a bit bigger compared to the players so it takes a bit longer to get around. Blam-O good maps in Halo4!

FyreWulff

Yeah, you need to slightly re-classify maps going forward. Midship is a 4v4 map in Halo 2, but is a doubles map in Halo 4. If you were to reclassify maps into the Halo 4 context:

Macro - Doubles sized-ish

Chill Out / Cold Storage
Midship / Heretic
Gemini
Wizard / Warlock
Lockout / Blackout
Guardian
Isolation
Foundry

Small - 4v4

Powerhouse
Reflection / Ivory Tower
Battle Creek / Beaver Creek / Battle Canyon
Longest / Elongation
Chiron TL-34
Rat Race
Derelict / Desolation
Ascension
Foundation
Sanctuary
High Ground
Snowbound
Anchor 9
(?)Abandon

Medium - 4v4/5v5

Hang Em High / Tombstone / High Noon
Burial Mounds
Colossus
Turf
Backwash
Uplift
Narrows
Construct
The Pit
Ghost Town
Assembly
Orbital
Citadel
Countdown
Sword Base
Zealot
Condemned
(?)Haven

Large 6v6

Blood Gulch / Coagulation / Hemorrhage
Zanzibar / Last Resort
Terminal
Valhalla / Ragnarok
Rat's Nest
Standoff
Sandbox
Boardwalk
Tempest
(?) Longbow

Big 7v7/8v8

Headlong / Breakneck
Sidewinder / Avalanche
Breakpoint
Relic
Highlands
Timberland / Ridgeline
Spire
(?) Meltdown

Giant 8v8

Containment
Waterworks
Boneyard
District
Sandtrap
(?)Vortex

I'm bored.

nillapuddin

It's kind of hard to remember, the map was actively played for all of 3 months before Halo 3 came around :p

I know, Im just teasin ya
Ive been doing measurements on my Reach maps lately and obviously those are two Im pretty familiar with

oh math, your silly sometimes

nillapuddin

nilla, I expect ALL of those maps to remade day 1. Including Spire and Boneyard.

Pls & tnx

Ive got a crack team on it
myself

Astroturf will be finished Night 1, as for my other re-remakes probably within the week lol

In all seriousness, all of Halo 2 done with precision by Christmas guaranteed.
(not by myself ofcourse, but by the community)

So stoked

So is spelling. BOOM! Night everyone!

you make me want to dislike you, for so many bad reasons.

1. There is a single playlist that kinda, sorta, mimics the core of what Halo was. In this playlist you do not have radar and you still get to choose your starting weapon. We have yet to see how spawning works in Slayer Pro, but this isn't a simple evolutionary step past the history of Halo; this is an attempt to shoehorn nostalgia (or "competition") into a product that has already moved on.

That's just it, the entire industry seems to have moved on, after all who really wants exactly the same game with just updated graphics? That would result in the lowest Halo population over the long term of matchmaking. I think what they're doing to Halo 4 is in the best interested of not creating splintered playlists, settings and poor population pools.

willow ve said:
2*. The roll the dice mechanic is much more prevalent in a class based (loadout) scenario. For instance, in Reach, against a team of jetpackers or a team of armor lock users (before the TU) there is typically a single outcome. Either you switch your loadout to mirror theirs, or you lose. This will most likely become apparent in Halo 4 (just as it is prevalent in BF3 or COD). Granted there will be some players who consistently just pick what they prefer, what they have nostalgia for, or what they want 100% of the time. Then there will be a set of players who are forced to change their loadout/spawn setup after matches begin to effectively counter the opposition loadouts. The mere fact that there are loadouts in Halo is revolutionary for the franchise (not for gaming in general, just for Halo).

Same goes for power weapons or fixed spawns or map control really. If a team grabs sniper then you are forced to alter your map movements, teamwork and take down that sniper. If an entire team decides to gain the lead and hold up in one choke point or room then your team and you are forced to change tactics, weapons and all that. What is the difference really? Again my opinion is loadouts just remove the need to wait for weapon spawns, provide faster dynamic gameplay, enable individual play styles to alter during the game and even enable more teamwork as you can assign roles to team members etc. It's just about providing a quicker method of the same end result.

Loadouts aren't all that revolutionary really. Custom games have always provided starting weapons, essentially loadouts, all the while Halo 3 had equipment or during gameplay taking weapons from dead enemies provide the same sort of dynamic gameplay and player choices. Further with the advent of camping, weapon spawn farming and vehicle or regular team domination I think loadouts are a worthwhile feature. As long as power weapons stay in global/personal ordnance drops and not in loadouts I really don't see any issue personally. It's just enabling player choice with dynamic variables over having to do that same thing via map traversal or fixed weapon spawns which waste time. The actual net effect on the gameplay isn't a showstopper.

The dynamic nature of the ordnance systems also tweak the gameplay to alleviate/reduce spawn camping. A polarising topic but one that I believe turns new/casual players off from becoming long term matchmaking players.

willow ve said:
3. Agree to disagree. In my opinion any game that is an arena shooter is completely different than a class based loadout system. They are related in the same way that dogs and cats are both domesticated pets that live with people. Yes you can argue all day that dogs and cats are very similar and look at all of these same/similar characteristics, but at the end of the day you have arena shooter vs class based shooter. In my opinion one is more balanced and fair. One is also more "Halo."

Equipment and dead enemies or teammates are just loadouts on the ground, not that different really. You decide what/who to go for or swap out what weapons, loadouts just get you doing those things faster and at spawn menus.

willow ve said:
* To me this is the beauty of what Halo used to be. Yes the first bits of battle and the last moments of a match often devolved into scripted scenarios. The middle was the sticky part that required teamwork, communication, and skill. In many ways this parallels the way that chess is competitively played. Once an opening is chosen by a player there is generally a very technical counter to that open. After the first 7-13 moves the match gets interesting and becomes skill based until very close to the end when one player clearly has victory in their sights and it quickly concludes.

With loadouts, global ordnance, kill streaks, instant respawn, and random spawning all over the map it feels like, to me, that midway through a match the rules have changed. It would be like playing chess and suddenly your rook or knight moves differently due to an unforeseen and entirely unpredictable metric that arbitrarily changes the board throughout the match. This doesn't mean that Halo 4 is a failure, or that we all won't play copious amounts of it over the next month (or year or years), but it does mean that Halo 4 has moved ever farther away from what used to differentiate Halo from the rest of the shooters.

I too actually love default Halo and the level playing field, it gives that real sense of outdoing your opponent over just having superior AA's or firepower etc. I'm willing to give both playlists a go and see how I feel about things but overall I don't see it as such a game changer like you do I guess.

With the exception of Armour Lock (total garbage that should never have been put into Reach), I never felt like I lost just because my enemy chose a specific loadout or AA's different to my choice. I always feel like it's my personal choices, movements/awareness and reflex skills that win or lose engagements for me.

I only see Halo 4 improving the gun play skills, reducing power nades/spam and lowering the overall effectiveness of AA's etc while enabling a personal choice and playstyle at every spawn. I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily. Sure it's different but not so revolutionary as I describe in my responses.

Halo 4 is all about speeding up what players do in game anyhow and letting them go about getting into the action quicker with their choice/playstyle in tact rather than having to go there to get that first before I enter battle.

So is spelling. BOOM! Night everyone!

*Grammar. BAM!
JK

I need more HaloGAF people on my friends list for H4. I didn't play much with people on Reach, mainly because I didn't like the game that much... and I'd like to turn that around now that there's a game I want to play!

GT: blamite prime

I'd hit you up, and many others here, but I only team up with fellow Aussies for host and game quality reasons. Nothing personal.

blamite

I need more HaloGAF people on my friends list for H4. I didn't play much with people on Reach, mainly because I didn't like the game that much... and I'd like to turn that around now that there's a game I want to play!

GT: blamite prime

Yeah, you need to slightly re-classify maps going forward. Midship is a 4v4 map in Halo 2, but is a doubles map in Halo 4. If you were to reclassify maps into the Halo 4 context:

Macro - Doubles sized-ish

Chill Out / Cold Storage
Midship / Heretic
Gemini
Wizard / Warlock
Lockout / Blackout
Guardian
Isolation
Foundry

I'm bored.

Thanks for reminding me we get no doubles playlist. -_-

Pop

Someone please tell me AC3 gets better, I want to play as an assassin, not some random Britain!

Story bro. Patience

Edit:^^But there were other AA's you could have used.

The problem was armor lock slowed down gameplay and opened up for you to die by the enemies teammates which otherwise that encounter would have ended 5 secs ago.

Would love to have some GAF folks on my friends list that are willing to help playtest maps of all kinds and that love customs in general. My friends list has space for now. So if anyone here fits said role I'd love to make friendsies with you. ;)

Also I finally finished my large post for my H4 map and I'm about to drop the bomb on the Forge OT. :) 22K characters and about 30 pictures of pre-production.

Nirvana

It is true.

Goddamnit. More and more troubling information surfacing lately, it wont effect my initial impressions too much, but longevity will be an issue for me with no ranks and no doubles. Simply a personal thing, not an objective criticism.

Hehehe... viola... massive pre-production post for my H4 map that I've been working on for months now. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=497797&page=3

Holy mother of God that is some dedication. Highly impressive man, I'll be looking out for your works on Halo 4.

Tawpgun

I played the first for like an hour, never touched the others. Only picked this one up because of the awesome setting!

It's getting better for me. Once you unlock Connor it gets awesome. I'm in love with the Frontier/Wilderness. Colonial Boston is friggin sweet too.

Right in the middle of the War right now.

photoshop_halogaf-small.png

Halo 4 is almost here, so let's celebrate with a quick contest!

Photoshopping HaloGAF

The Contest:
1. Use photoshop (or GIMP, MS Paint, etc.) to edit one of the "HaloGAF at NYCC" pictures. If you'd rather edit a Halo 4 screenshot, that will do as well.
2. Email the picture to me at ncsuDuncan@gmail.com before 5:00pm EDT on Sunday, November 4th. (Please include "HaloGAF Contest" in the subject line.)
3. I will personally judge the contest and pick one First Prize and one Second Prize winner. A single Random Drawing winner will also be picked from all entrants.

Here are some pictures and screenshots to get you started:
NYCC Day 1
NYCC Day 2
NYCC Day 3 (Booth and Panel)
NYCC Day 3 (MegaBloks party and NYC nightlife)
NYCC Day 4
Halo 4 Screenshots

Rules:
- Anyone can enter – you don’t have to be a member of NeoGAF.
- Original artwork only, please! Do not submit someone else’s art.
- You may enter as many times as you wish, but you can only win one prize package.
- Submitting multiple entries could increase your chance of being picked as First or Second prize, but you still only get ONE entry in the random drawing.
- Please submit entries as .jpeg, .png, .bmp, or .gif and keep the file size and resolution reasonable.
- Feel free to post your entries on NeoGAF or elsewhere, but make sure you email your submission to me.
- INTERNATIONAL ENTRANTS: This contest is NOT restricted to US-only, but if you win a prize and live outside the US please understand the extra difficulty/delay in prize shipping.

Any entries that do not conform to NeoGAF's rules of conduct will be discarded. Remember, I'm judging these - while I do enjoy sarcastic jokes and dark humor I have my limits.

The Prizes:

First Place
The winner will receive one of each of the following items:
- Halo 4 "Vote" T-shirt (Men's Medium)
- Halo 4 "Vote" Poster
- Halo 4 "Vote" Sticker
- UNSC tote bag
- Halo Silentium Poster *signed by Sparth* (Reverse side of poster is The Thursday War cover art.)
- The Art of Halo 4 cover print
- Halo 4 window sticker
- MegaBloks UNSC Armory Pack II
- MegaBloks Halo Series 5 minifig pack
- Halo 4 iHeartRadio avatar t-shirt codes (male and female)
- Halo 4 "Vote" wristband
- ONI Kilo-Five patch
- Cryptum button/pin

Second Place
The winner will receive one of each of the following items:
- Halo 4 "Vote" poster
- Halo 4 "Vote" sticker
- The Art of Halo 4 cover print *signed by Sparth*
- ONI Kilo-Five patch

Random Drawing
The winner will receive one of each of the following items: (Same as Second Place)
- Halo 4 "Vote" poster
- Halo 4 "Vote" sticker
- The Art of Halo 4 cover print *signed by Sparth*
- ONI Kilo-Five patch

Remember, the contest ends at 5:00pm EDT on Sunday, November 4th. Send your entries to ncsuDuncan@gmail.com before then.

Good luck!

malfcn

I never paid attention because I have tried to avoid spoilers (even from MP because of comments). No health, just shields in MP?

Caja 117

Someone please tell me AC3 gets better, I want to play as an assassin, not some random Britain!

Well....without spoiling: If you are annoyed now, it really doesn't get better. on a similar note I just finished finished AC: Revelations right now and I just threw in my mouth. at least AC 3 looks nice.

Cutting the cord: Halo Without Bungie

Here is a snippet from the article:
The first thing that was immediately clear to Ross was how differently the two studios worked. In Bungie's case, the team presided over development of the Halo games but left the fiction and consumer products side of the business to another branch within Microsoft, which Ross says led to misunderstandings between Bungie and the Microsoft over the future of the franchise. Her solution was to bring everything under one roof. As a result, 343 now looks after the entire Halo franchise including software, consumer products, toys, apparel, and fiction.

I never knew Bungie left the fiction and products up to MS. I find that rather interesting and feel like it explains a bit about why the fiction and games never really tied up together under Bungie.

Gamespot AU is also showing a live Halo 4 stream with T2 from MLG

And this is why I am happy 343 took over.
I'm still "invested" in seeing what Bungie create with Destiny but after all I've seen from 343i I'm looking forward to Halo 4 more than I did Halo 3 or Reach. Well played 343i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom