• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up. Kyle's OT is probably the single best post in HaloGAF history. The MLG description's hilariously caustic, I loved it. Some top posts by Risen, Arnie and Juices in this thread too.

Now for the gaming side thread.

Ehm yes. It is real. I thought it was a fake picture but... not sure what I should believe now.
i3lsyDBwVuRl0.jpg
https://twitter.com/chrishaluke/status/263944925551403010

IHaveIce

Banned
All credit goes to tashi - i was more than happy to evacuate new jersey and change my dallas flight :) but seriously, big shout to tashi for throwing it together, and i hope my channel brings in lots of views for his hard work.

hope everyone enjoyed, and I've literally got around 30 videos to choose from when uploading tomorrow -expect AT LEAST 2/3 a day for the next few days!
Wow nice, looking forward to this.
Wow the montage is awesome and 9.8 by IGN ? nice

I will most likely get the game today, can I now play online or should I send a pm to Frankie and David with pictures of the copy and the receipt ?

Anybody? the game is in front of me :(

IHaveIce

Banned
You shouldn't even consider touching it until 9am November 6 AEST, when I too have the game. ;)

haha, I'm still in the store, not at home :(

I think I will wait the few days, purchasing an extra copy is too expensive.

but after all I know now a store here that sells games early

haha, I'm still in the store, not at home :(

I think I will wait the few days, purchasing an extra copy is too expensive.

but after all I know now a store here that sells games early
You are living in Hamburg and don't know a store who sells games early? lol wut. What have you done the recent years?

TheOddOne

I really don't get the "Why is it still the same?" brigade. Yeah, it's not like Halo has to stay unique to what made it great but has to be like another game.

Ken

I really don't get the "Why is it still the same?" brigade. Yeah, it's not like Halo has to stay unique to what made it great but has to be like another game.

Maybe what "the same old Halo" is just doesn't click with people in that brigade.

I'm in the "Why is it still the same" brigade for Assassin's Creed. I was hoping 3 would see some big changes to pull me in but it doesn't seem too big a jump from 2 which I found boring.

IHaveIce

Banned
You are living in Hamburg and don't know a store who sells games early? lol wut. What have you done the recent years?

:( don't mock me, but yeah the last years gamestop gave me the games like on shipment day, but they got a warning and don't do this for quite a while.

And I didn't even thought about small game stores lol.

Yeah it is my fault haha

TheOddOne

Maybe what "the same old Halo" is just doesn't click with people in that brigade.

I'm in the "Why is it still the same" brigade for Assassin's Creed. I was hoping 3 would see some big changes to pull me in but it doesn't seem too big a jump from 2 which I found boring.
I actually dislike the changes they have made in ACIII, like the battle system was perfect but changed it to something of a mess.

I dunno, changing a staple formula just to get the impression that it has been suited for them or totally changing it from what made it good is bad.

How can you make a call on the campaign of Halo 4 compared to other Halos until you have played it anyway?
The removal of campaign films is enough for me to rate Halo 4 lower than 3, ODST, and Reach--all of which had outstanding campaigns. Said another way, it is impossible for the campaign, as good as it may be, to overcome that omitted feature on the terms of how I would rate the game.

heckfu

Banned
The removal of campaign films is enough for me to rate Halo 4's lower than 3, ODST, and Reach's--all of which had outstanding campaigns.

Whaaaaaaat? You're seriously rating a campaign lower because of a feature that doesn't affect campaign gameplay that's missing?

I'm talking about rating the game overall.

Edited to clarify that.

And Theater isn't some standalone feature, it has a direct impact on the extent to which campaign can be enjoyed.

Woorloog

Banned
Heh heh.

I'm skeptical of the gushing reviews because I believe that Halo fans judge a Halo game a lot more critically than most journalists.

That is true.
I intend to note every bad thing in the campaign (and SpOps). So far it sounds good, but i'm sure it has bad things. Clearly unfair encounters (think insta-gib sniper alleys), very limited choices, weak weapons, plot holes, things like that will get to my list.
Dying on Heroic many times is not bad thing, even though reviewers try to convince us otherwise. Guess they'd like the hardest difficulty to be Normal. Seriously, like 5 of the reviews i read complained about dying on Heroic.

Heh heh.

I'm skeptical of the gushing reviews because I believe that Halo fans judge a Halo game a lot more critically than most journalists.

Same here. That, and really it'll take several months to see how the multiplayer evolves once the masses get their hands on it compared to the controlled playtests that have occurred so far.

I also tend to judge the games separately between their MP and Campaign modes. Halo 2 MP and Halo 2 Campaign don't belong in the same ranking category.

Even with a capture card, you still can't fly through the level like you could with theater. You'd only be watching from your own perspective, which quite frankly, isn't the same.

Caja 117

saw this from one of the more respected reviewers:

"....The game's soundtrack is also a letdown. The loss of Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, composers on the previous games, is quite apparent and profound. While those are certainly big shoes to fill, the new score lacks any of the punch and gravitas from the originals. There's something to be said about not repeating what's been done, but the music in Halo 4 is often just subtle ambiance, if it's even there at all. It simply doesn't have a Halo feel at all to be tearing through Covenant with your massive tank without some strong percussion driving the experience."I

haven't played the game, but I cant help but to agree with this feeling.

heckfu

Banned

Haha, you discredited yourself and then still commented. Textbook internet.

It's like saying, "I've never tried this restaurant, but I agree with this newspaper review that the chicken is undercooked."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
saw this from one of the more respected reviewers:

"....The game's soundtrack is also a letdown. The loss of Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, composers on the previous games, is quite apparent and profound. While those are certainly big shoes to fill, the new score lacks any of the punch and gravitas from the originals. There's something to be said about not repeating what's been done, but the music in Halo 4 is often just subtle ambiance, if it's even there at all. It simply doesn't have a Halo feel at all to be tearing through Covenant with your massive tank without some strong percussion driving the experience."I

I would be the opposite. It's not Marty, but it's not meant to be. I like the soundtrack a lot, and think it has the necessary Forerunner feel. If it had "tearing through the Covenant" feel it wouldn't be right, as this is the reclaimer trilogy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Would love to have some GAF folks on my friends list that are willing to help playtest maps of all kinds and that love customs in general. My friends list has space for now. So if anyone here fits said role I'd love to make friendsies with you. ;)

Also I finally finished my large post for my H4 map and I'm about to drop the bomb on the Forge OT. :) 22K characters and about 30 pictures of pre-production.

I need more HaloGAF people on my friends list for H4. I didn't play much with people on Reach, mainly because I didn't like the game that much... and I'd like to turn that around now that there's a game I want to play!

GT: blamite prime

Going to start adding friends from my old gamertag (Chocopolka) ontp my new gamertag soon so if you get a friend request from Capcpom it's me. D:

Add me bros! GT's same as my username.

Also, congrats to 343. Metacritic scores mean a lot more than they should in this business, and I'm glad to see Halo 4 got great reviews.

Caja 117

Haha, you discredited yourself and then still commented. Textbook internet.

It's like saying, "I've never tried this restaurant, but I agree with this newspaper review that the chicken is undercooked."

Food is not a video game, you dont use your sense of taste with Video games so yeah, your Comparison doesn't really fly to know it, with music is different.

Defending that stuff like percussion in driving part wont be missed is just denial, so, you should stop trying to defend everything about this game, is just sad.

Caja 117

I would be the opposite. It's not Marty, but it's not meant to be. I like the soundtrack a lot, and think it has the necessary Forerunner feel. If it had "tearing through the Covenant" feel it wouldn't be right, as this is the reclaimer trilogy.

But Im not saying the soundtrack is bad, but, You cant deny that the absence of percussion during driving sections are going to feel weird.

heckfu

Banned
Food is not a video game, you dont use your sense of taste with Video games so yeah, your Comparison doesn't really fly to know it, with music is different.

Defending that stuff like percussion in driving part wont be missed is just denial, so, you should stop trying to defend everything about this game, is just sad.

Lol, I don't defend everything in the game. I do, however, defend what I've already played and enjoyed. You're literally making blind statements about something you even admitted you haven't touched!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lol, I don't defend everything in the game. I do, however, defend what I've already played and enjoyed. You're literally making blind statements about something you even admitted you haven't touched!

How does it feel to be told you defend the game too much Fu? :p

I just need to play the thing. Only a few days left.

TheOddOne

The same reviewer also said that it doesn't feel like Halo and seconds later complains that the gameplay is largely the same. Seems contradictionary.

Caja 117

Blind? I dont know about you, but I dont use my eyes to hear music.

My statement are based on Hearing the music of this current Soundtrack and knowing the previous installment Soundtrack, this doesn't have anything to do with the game, but everything to do with the music, music we already have heard, I already heard, and if you have played any other Halo aside from Halo Reach, then you should know what Im talking about.

heckfu

Banned
Blind? I dont know about you, but I dont use my eyes to hear music.

My statement are based on Hearing the music of this current Soundtrack and knowing the previous installment Soundtrack, this doesn't have anything to do with the game, but everything to do with the music, music we already have heard, I already heard, and if you have played any other Halo aside from Halo Reach, then you should know what Im talking about.

businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

Clearly there is a language barrier here. Done.

Caja 117

The same reviewer also said that it doesn't feel like Halo and seconds later complains that the gameplay is largely the same. Seems contradictionary.

I wont call contradictory if they feel the gameplay is the same, but also feel the Soundtrack doesn't make the game feel like Halo, again, Music is different from what the game is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom