• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really struck this afternoon by how few shits I give about any one games review outlet in 2012. Like, not one opinion on the list in that thread matters to me, and yet there is a dozen-plus pages about them?

I'm guessing Halo 4 is pretty good, though! Can't wait to pick up a standard copy without preorder from sort of store on my lunch break for whatever working day it comes out, whenever that is.

Being an adult isn't as much fun as they'd have you believe!

Risen

I'm guessing Halo 4 is pretty good, though! Can't wait to pick up a standard copy without preorder from sort of store on my lunch break for whatever working day it comes out, whenever that is.

Three letters for you.... PTO.

Caja 117

Really struck this afternoon by how few shits I give about any one games review outlet in 2012. Like, not one opinion on the list in that thread matters to me, and yet there is a dozen-plus pages about them?

All reviews have been positive so far, Metacritic has it at 91% with 37 reviews and while one or 2 or 3 reviews are not a good way to tell if a game is good, 37 of them plus, everyone who have played this game in this forum is telling us that this game is Very good.

Omni

Blind? I dont know about you, but I dont use my eyes to hear music.

My statement are based on Hearing the music of this current Soundtrack and knowing the previous installment Soundtrack, this doesn't have anything to do with the game, but everything to do with the music, music we already have heard, I already heard, and if you have played any other Halo aside from Halo Reach, then you should know what Im talking about.

Juniors gonna junior?

Risen

Amen, brother. Amen.

Recently got a promotion and shift change at the hospital and am now working 7 on/7 off. That means I get 26 weeks off a yearrrrrrrr...yes!

Man those kinds of schedules are sweeeet! When I was in the oil and gas industry a bunch of my co-workers worked 14 on and 14 off and they loved it.

I get 18 paid days a year in addition to paid holidays which puts me up to right at 4 weeks off... can't imagine what I'd do with half a year! I might just grow a majestic beard.

26 weeks?!? I don't even have 26 days!
*Reviews, attitude, life*
Yeah, I'd feel similarly to pretty much all of that.

Funny part is that my join date is close to your join date, I just dont post that much
Now that's a stinger. Well done.

----------------------------------------------------
This may have already been posted, but I saw the title, frowned, read it and felt even incredulous:
343 Industries Kevin Franklin Explains How Halo 4 Was Designed For ESports

m23

Any word on the co-op netcode? For me that will make or break SpOps, firefight coop was almost unplayable in Reach.

Amazing montage Tashii!

This was all filmed at NYCC? or what?

Seeing Louis Wu get dunked on non-stop has definitely been a highlight of my morning. :lol

TheOddOne

This may have already been posted, but I saw the title, frowned, read it and felt even incredulous:
Mmm:
How much more is there when it comes to Halo 4 multiplayer?

Oh, tons. I wish I could talk more about it now. I think we’ve only shown off about half the complete War Games experience. What excites me even more is that right now we’re preparing even more for post launch, so we’re going to have lots of returning favorites come back post launch. There’s also even more new content coming. I think that you’re going to be very pleasantly surprised. I wish I could talk more about it, but there’s tons more coming.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Christ, those THC forums. Makes this place seem like a field of daisies.

It's disappointing as someone who would have liked ranks because the competitive community, as a whole, really shoots themselves in the foot.

Halo 4 MLG settings:

Game Types

Team Slayer:

Abandon

Haven

Relay

Solace

Capture The Flag

Relay

Solace

Adrift

Infinity Slayer

Infinity Slayer Options

Betrayal Points = -10 Points

Suicide Bonus = -10 Points

Respawn Settings

Respawn Time = 5 Seconds

Suicide Penalty = None

Betrayal Penalty = None

Death Cam = Disabled

Ordnance

Infinity Settings

Minimum Timer = 120 Seconds

Maximum Timer = 120 Seconds

Capture The Flag

Score to Win = 5

Time Limit = 30 Minutes

Capture The Flag Options

Flag Return Time = (Adrift & Relay= 3 Seconds) & (Solace = Never)

Flag Reset Time = 15 Seconds

Flag at Home Requirement = (Adrift & Relay = Yes) & (Solace = No)

Overtime Length = 2 Minutes

Respawn Settings

Respawn Time = 10 Seconds

Suicide Penalty = None

Betrayal Penalty = None

Death Cam = Disabled

Ordnance

Infinity Settings

Minimum Timer = 120 Seconds

Maximum Timer = 120 Seconds

Personal Ordnance = Disabled

All Game Modes

General Settings

Friendly Fire = Enabled

Betrayal Booting = Disabled

Team Changing = Not Allowed

Map Loadouts = Disabled

Loadout Usage = Game Loadouts

Game Loadouts

Loadout Alpha

Primary Weapon = DMR

Secondary Weapon = Magnum

Armor Ability = Thruster Pack

Tactical Package = Resupply

Support Upgrade = Dexterity

Hide Loadout = Not Hidden

Loadout Beta

Primary Weapon = DMR

Secondary Weapon = Bolt Shot

Armor Ability = Jet Pack

Loadout Gamma

Primary Weapon = DMR

Armor Ability = Hologram

Loadout Delta

Primary Weapon = Battle Rifle

Secondary Weapon = Bolt Shot

Armor Ability = Thruster Pack

Loadout Epsilon

Primary Weapon = Battle Rifle

Armor Ability = Jet Pack

Traits

Base Player Traits

Equipment

Sensor Mode = Nothing

Movement

Player Speed = 110%

Appearance

Waypoint = Visible to Allies

Personal Ordnance

D-pad

Left-----------------------Middle--------------------Left

Plasma x2--------------------SAW-------------------Speedboost

Pulse x2---------------------Needler-----------------Overshield

Frag x2 ---------------------Beam Rifle--------------Damage boost

Energy Sword--------------Sniper Rifle

Gravity Hammer------------Rail Gun

Concussion Rifle-----------Sticky Detonator

Scattershot

Shotgun

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/48#event_127_game-types-and-settings

Wouldn't have thought they'd go with so many power weapons in the personal ordnance drops.

Risen

Watching the Machinima 24hr live stream... I get that they can't have their top line directors on all the time, and it's cool that they are putting it on... but it would be nice if they had people that were well informed on H4 and had actual thumbs.

No Binary Rifle, no Incendiary Cannon. Hm.

They skurrrred...

Dexterity all up in the MLG loadouts.

Yeah, I'm glad they actually kept all the modifications the same for every loadout. If only the AA's were pickups instead of something you start with. For the rest, I have to say it looks pretty good, though I think I'd prefer normal slayer over infinity.

Food is not a video game, you dont use your sense of taste with Video games so yeah, your Comparison doesn't really fly to know it, with music is different.

Defending that stuff like percussion in driving part wont be missed is just denial, so, you should stop trying to defend everything about this game, is just sad.

I don't know how you can judge the experience of how the soundtrack mixes with the gameplay without playing the damn game.

willow ve

I'd assume so, Acey is the EU Xbox guy.

Jetpack loadout.

lol

That was my cringe moment as well. Lulz - that loadout needs to die in fire.

Yeah, I'm glad they actually kept all the modifications the same for every loadout. If only the AA's were pickups instead of something you start with. For the rest, I have to say it looks pretty good, though I think I'd prefer normal slayer over infinity.

Can you even make armor abilities into pickups on map? I know you could in Reach, but has that been confirmed as possible in 4?

willow ve

I can see these loadouts getting cut down by the time the second event rolls around (if there is a second event). Most likely, even during the first event, we'll see some trends evolve to where players are only choosing one or two loadouts anyway. It is nice to see them including more of the sandbox in their settings for now. That is the way to make sure people watching the stream can load up the game and go "Hey this is the same game I play."

kylej

Banned
um the part about the music was in reference to the campaign, and I'm pretty sure nobody here has played campaign, so I don't know why people are trying to pull the "I've played it and you haven't" card

heckfu

Banned
um the part about the music was in reference to the campaign, and I'm pretty sure nobody here has played campaign, so I don't know why people are trying to pull the "I've played it and you haven't" card

No one is playing that card. I said I defend the parts I have played (multiplayer, and small amounts) but was calling him on his bullshit that he hasn't played it at all. Come on Kyle.

And if it did come across that way, then I retract it.

Overdoziz

Banned
No Promethean Vision either.
Without radar it'd be way too overpowered.

On a different note. To anyone who has played the campaign; are there on-rails sections in the game similar to Falcon rides in Reach or parts where you are forced to stay in your vehicle like during the space battles in Reach? A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, please don't go into detail.

It seems like Forbes had the angle ready to write, took it to Franklin, and he stumbled though "Well, Slayer is a competitive gametype we have, and, uh, we also made CTF simpler... plus Grifball? Stay tuned!"
That's how I figured it too. But at that point he should have asked them to change the angle or declined.

Now they both look a bit silly.
Indeed, tantelising. Wonder what they have in store.

Moa

Without radar it'd be way too overpowered.

On a different note. To anyone who has played the campaign; are there on-rails sections in the game similar to Falcon rides in Reach or parts where you are forced to stay in your vehicle like during the space battles in Reach? A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, please don't go into detail.

You fly a Pelican & Broadsword in a mission, you can't get out of it to my knowledge.
^ Campaign Spoilers

CyReN

Oh lord, the Incinerary Canon tears through people.

What's the deal with it? Do all of those extra projectiles home in on people, or do they just bounce randomly?

I'm still getting used to it, but you really have to watch out for the splash damage when you fire the thing, that's why I look like a hesitant bitch in the gameplay.

I love people bitching about the game receiving 8s from some reviewers in the review thread. Who gives a flying fuck? Your personal enjoyment far outweighs some arbitrary number some journalist throws next to the game.

Rev3rb

I love people bitching about the game receiving 8s from some reviewers in the review thread. Who gives a flying fuck? Your personal enjoyment far outweighs some arbitrary number some journalist throws next to the game.

. Exactly how I feel when I read each post in there

willow ve

That is painful to read. When asked how it fits into e-sports Kevin Franklin says the following (I assume they quoted him verbatim - because it's difficult to understand his response)

How did you design Halo 4 content for the eSports community?
Kevin Franklin said:
Slayer is pro mode, for sure. It’s a mode that will keep growing and evolving all the way through as we develop it. CTF, capture the flag, is very approachable for a new player as the flag carrying experience is really comfortable. But at its core it’s a very competitive experience. I think as competitive players get used to all the new changes and editions, they’ll start devising new strategies. I can’t wait to see it at MLG Dallas…the effects as these players go through it. You’re going to see a lot more. Also, it’s not completely eSports, but there’s definitely a competitive community around Griffball.

So basically... you didn't design it for eSports? And you tried to spin the question into "there are competitive game modes" and at the same time put Grifball into the equation?

The rest of the article is pretty straightforward. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...explains-how-halo-4-was-designed-for-esports/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom