• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
The review said the music doesn't fit the campaign as well as previous Halos. Someone said he's listened to the music, and he agrees that it probably won't fit well based on past Halo experiences. That's a totally valid stance to take.

It seems like Forbes had the angle ready to write, took it to Franklin, and he stumbled though "Well, Slayer is a competitive gametype we have, and, uh, we also made CTF simpler... plus Grifball? Stay tuned!"

There are over 100 active teams right now and we got a chance towork with GrifballHub.com very closely on a reimagination of the Grifball mode, as we’ve created it as a real thing for Halo 4. It’s like its own mode. It’s got its own customization option so that the teams can very carefully control their tournaments.

:/

Yeah, I'm glad they actually kept all the modifications the same for every loadout. If only the AA's were pickups instead of something you start with. For the rest, I have to say it looks pretty good, though I think I'd prefer normal slayer over infinity.

I'm very happy for this... it is good to see MLG attempting to embrace the new game mechanics before going back to something more comfortable. Who knows... maybe their gameplay with CTF and Infinity Slayer will convince people of any possible competitive value of the new mechanics. I'm really curious to see how it all plays out at the highest levels of competitive play. Sooo excited.

External Memory

Neo Member
Halo 4 MLG settings:
Left-----------------------Middle--------------------Left

Plasma x2--------------------SAW-------------------Speedboost

Pulse x2---------------------Needler-----------------Overshield

Frag x2 ---------------------Beam Rifle--------------Damage boost

Energy Sword--------------Sniper Rifle

Gravity Hammer------------Rail Gun

Concussion Rifle-----------Sticky Detonator

Scattershot

Shotgun

Wouldn't have thought they'd go with so many power weapons in the personal ordnance drops.

Two left thumbs? That special new d-pad I keep hearing about?

JK

Would be curious to hear their rationale on the PO. I would've dropped the sword, grav hammer, beam, snipe and railgun from personal ordnance. They're designed to appear in initial ordnance on a lot of maps, as in power weapons already designated to spawn, not to mention randomized based on some unknown factors every 2 minutes after the initials.

Everything left from the above I'd keep, but I'd split them up on the pad this way:

Left: plasma x 2, speed boost, needler, concussion
Down: frag x 2, OS, shotty, SAW
Right: pulse x 2, damage boost, scatter, detonator

Weighting 40/10/20/30% respectively for each. If that's too many nades, I guess flip the mid-range special weapons to 40%, and put them at 30%. Shotty, needler and scattershot are reliable enough to be almost power weapons, so they should be weighted almost as infrequent as powerups, especially considering you carry your ordnance meter over to the next spawn.

willow ve

Yep. Grifball Hub with "100 teams" gets special attention and custom game options. For reference 100 teams is most likely 400 players (unless they have subs, so we'll be generous and say 500). 500 players get special playlist and custom options. People who enjoy CTF matches (or even objective in general) get shit on.

kylej

Banned
Yep. Grifball Hub with "100 teams" gets special attention and custom game options. For reference 100 teams is most likely 400 players (unless they have subs, so we'll be generous and say 500). 500 players get special playlist and custom options. People who enjoy CTF matches (or even objective in general) get shit on.

Squad Slayer averaged 1500 people. If GrifballHub gets special treatment in Halo 4 because 400 people play it, Squad Slayer players should've gotten handjobs throughout development.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
People who enjoy CTF matches (or even objective in general) get shit on.

Uggggggggh. We'll see how it pans out, but if the huge majority of objective games are busted for a huge majority of players- you have to try something new. Let's not act like objective matches consistently brought the goods here.

That's not what he meant by 100 teams. He was referring to the number of active, organised teams I'd assume.
How active is the Grifball playlist? That's a better comparison.

Moa

That's not what he meant by 100 teams. He was referring to the number of active, organised teams I'd assume.
How active is the Grifball playlist? That's a better comparison.

In Reach? 1-2k players.

Used to be just short of 1,000 before they added the huge win bonus.

So it is official I'm running Scout helmet til I get Venator... why? Cuz that is the armor set tied to the Assassin commendation at Master level (highest)... if that is actually tied to assassinations, I'll be one of the few with it early on. ;) *dances*

Being honest, I didn't like the music in Tashi's montage. Gameplay looked great though.
In Reach? 1-2k players.

Used to be just short of 1,000 before they added the huge win bonus.
..really?

I always thought it was one of the big ones, like Infection.
That's... interesting.

Overdoziz

Banned
So it is official I'm running Scout helmet til I get Venator... why? Cuz that is the armor set tied to the Assassin commendation at Master level (highest)... if that is actually tied to assassinations, I'll be one of the few with it early on. ;) *dances*
I can't believe we still don't have the option to turn off assassinations.

Moa

Where was this said?

How much more is there when it comes to Halo 4 multiplayer?

Oh, tons. I wish I could talk more about it now. I think we’ve only shown off about half the complete War Games experience. What excites me even more is that right now we’re preparing even more for post launch, so we’re going to have lots of returning favorites come back post launch. There’s also even more new content coming. I think that you’re going to be very pleasantly surprised. I wish I could talk more about it, but there’s tons more coming.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...explains-how-halo-4-was-designed-for-esports/

question:

are you forced out of matchmaking after the game is over or do they keep you with the same group? Since there are no ranks hopefully it's the latter

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
You know, he might want them too; its probably not his sole decision.

Regardless, we need SC2 rankings.

Someone needs to explain to me how SC2 rankings are substantially different from the current Arena method. I feel like I'm missing something regarding SC2 when I see these.

daedalius

Someone needs to explain to me how SC2 rankings are substantially different from the current Arena method. I feel like I'm missing something regarding SC2 when I see these.

They aren't really; they are quite similar.

Arena had a decent system, other than forcing you to play a certain amount of games before seeing a rating... but the divisions and numbers behind them seemed pretty solid.

The problem with arena was the fact it was one slayer only playlist, and rankings were totally screwy at the beginning with everything being individualized.

I love people bitching about the game receiving 8s from some reviewers in the review thread. Who gives a flying fuck? Your personal enjoyment far outweighs some arbitrary number some journalist throws next to the game.

That's how it is in all the review threads. I can't believe that people get so butt hurt over reviews for games which are going to sell regardless of it's metacritic score.

CyReN

One is good, one is bad.

The game is truly close to be the best on the 360 for Halo, little things like ranks, theater in campaign, proper community playlist and not customs, etc are the little ingredients that keep people coming back and make Halo what it is.

Overdoziz

Banned
They aren't really; they are quite similar.

Arena had a good system, other than forcing you to play a certain amount of games before seeing a rating... but the divisions and numbers behind them seemed pretty solid.

The problem with arena was the fact it was one slayer only playlist, and rankings were totally screwy at the beginning with everything being individualized.
Also, I don't think there are any seasons in SC2. And you lose your rank slowly if you don't play for a while if I'm not mistaken.

Tunavi

Banned
Squad Slayer averaged 1500 people. If GrifballHub gets special treatment in Halo 4 because 400 people play it, Squad Slayer players should've gotten handjobs throughout development.
Surely 343 couldn't afford to fly Dax around the world that much

:p

daedalius

Also, I don't think there are any seasons in SC2. And you lose your rank slowly if you don't play for a while if I'm not mistaken.

You do lose your rank slowly if you don't play, but you also get a bonus for when you do start playing again to rank up faster to give you some incentive.

But you're right, I don't think there were any seasons in SC2.

Edit: apparently I am wrong about seasons according for Woorloog. I admit, I'm familiar with the ranking system from talking to others about it, I haven't played it much myself.

One is good, one is bad.

The game is truly close to be the best on the 360 for Halo, little things like ranks, theater in campaign, proper community playlist and not customs, etc are the little ingredients that keep people coming back and make Halo what it is.

Wasn't the case for CE and look how popular that was :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom