• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Tsquared play with jetpack makes me already hate that loadout. There is no map flow with a jetpack. There is no ducking around a corner or behind a wall. The only true counter to a jetpack is a jetpack.

I just saw him use all the juice at once; probably gives you 2/3rds the height of Reach if not less so that's a good thing.

Damn, so much screen tearing on T-squared's feed. Just the stream, I hope?

Yea, the quality is just bad.

Watching Tsquared play with jetpack makes me already hate that loadout. There is no map flow with a jetpack. There is no ducking around a corner or behind a wall. The only true counter to a jetpack is a jetpack.

It's so slow. It's like skeet shooting.

And yes, the whole point of that armor ability (at least in Reach) is to by pass traditional choke-points and break-down traditional map control strategies.

Can somebody playing the game comment on the worth/balance of the three rifles? With all the gushing over the BR, I'm kinda worried that the DMR and the Promethean weapon are redundant.

Mayyhem

What's the word on playing legit copies before Nov 6th on Xbox Live as of yet?

ps: i don't have the game, unfortunately, just wondering

Woorloog

Banned
Can somebody playing the game comment on the worth/balance of the three rifles? With all the gushing over the BR, I'm kinda worried that the DMR and the Promethean weapon are redundant.

Everyone is thinking the DMR to be the best, not BR, which is why i wanted to see BR footage.
I really hope the Lightrifle is good. And the Carbine too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's the word on playing legit copies before Nov 6th on Xbox Live as of yet?

ps: i don't have the game, unfortunately, just wondering

Frank said in the OT as long as you have a valid receipt you'll be fine. That could mean you could still be banned, but it'll be un-done. So I don't know.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We are going to wait for Social Skirmish to dive into mp. These are my initial thoughts:

I asked about the toggle crouch being default and the answer actually makes sense. In the default control scheme is has B as crouch. Therefore toggle was needed because you can't expect players to claw lol. Makes sense but you switch it once and it's done.

It was happening to me in the campaign early on before I realized what was going on. There would just random moments of the Chief walking slowly and I thought it was some cinematic moment happening like in Halo 3 :lol

willow ve

Jetpack is still the Jetpack, as expected. Doesn't break Map flow so as much as completely ignores it. Good job with that, 343

:)

It's so slow. It's like skeet shooting.

And yes, the whole point of that armor ability (at least in Reach) is to by pass traditional choke-points and break-down traditional map control strategies.

This is why it's not a balanced option. The only way to counter those people who can bypass the choke points and break map control is to also choose jetpack. That isn't fun, or balanced; that's redundant and frustrating.

:)

This is why it's not a balanced option. The only way to counter those people who can bypass the choke points and break map control is to also choose jetpack. That isn't fun, or balanced; that's redundant and frustrating.

Meh, I always felt it was disadvantaged by it's lack of speed. Like I said, skeet shooting. I might use it, but I think I'm just as likely to fool around with the dodge AA and the recharge sphere AA... so the opportunity cost of choosing the jetpack is the inability to use those abilities which might be more helpful at other points during the course of a fire-fight.

Moa

But is it really returning? Correct me if I'm wrong - DMR and Pistol only, and it seems like it hardly has any effect?

Pistol bloom is the exact same as vanilla Reach DMR bloom, combine that with a six shot pistol with only eight shots in a clip and you have my only pet peeve.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
None of those are much good - (for a news round up anyway) - I'm looking for the kind of news aggregate HBO does - was tempted to ask if your doing anything like that? Seems like your aggregating the reviews but not general news?

Yeah, I'm not set up to do general news reporting busy as I am.

Pistol bloom is the exact same as vanilla Reach DMR bloom, combine that with a six shot pistol with only eight shots in a clip and you have my only pet peeve.

Do you know how DMR bloom compares? All I've heard is that it's negligible, which makes me confused as to why it's there at all.

Risen

What do you think the point/advantage of it was intended to be?

I giggle at the use of the words "break map flow" or in your case "break traditional map control strategies".

It does neither in those exact terms... what it DOES do is break map design - it creates new "flow" that renders map architecture useless. Which was hardly the "point" of the thing when they made it. All in my opinion of course...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, after watching the Machinima stream for like two hours last night, it looks like we're going to be ranking up FAST. We should have one full loadout within 20 games, probably.

Risen

So, after watching the Machinima stream for like two hours last night, it looks like we're going to be ranking up FAST. We should have one full loadout within 20 games, probably.

Hope so... reaaaaaally hate unlocking weapons. Particularly early in the life of a game where there will be those one matches against due to skill who already have unlocked a shit ton of things due to play time.

LOL at watching T2 not get knocked out of scope with the snipe and pick up dubs because he's zoomed in the whole time. Ugh... did this change at some point?

willow ve

I giggle at the use of the words "break map flow" or in your case "break traditional map control strategies".

It does neither in those exact terms... what it DOES do is break map design - it creates new "flow" that renders map architecture useless. Which was hardly the "point" of the thing when they made it. All in my opinion of course...

Should have been a simple double jump. Nothing more, nothing less. No firing or grenade throwing while hovering around. No change of direction. Just jump, push "jetpack" button to jump again, achieve double height jumping. Would have been much better
of course I really wish it wasn't in the game at all

BigShow36

But is it really returning? Correct me if I'm wrong - DMR and Pistol only, and it seems like it hardly has any effect?

It will affect the DMR from mid-range upward. It's just a stupid mechanic that makes the weapon less appealing to use in general. The zb Reach DMR is a really satisfying weapon to use, and I would have loved to see it return in Halo 4.

Risen

It will affect the DMR from mid-range upward. It's just a stupid mechanic that makes the weapon less appealing to use in general. The zb Reach DMR is a really satisfying weapon to use, and I would have loved to see it return in Halo 4.

But is it bloom in the sense of Reach bloom with a random shot placement or is it just an expanding reticle with shots remaining perfectly centered?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

It's probably the best starting weapon in the game

willow ve

So TT is already progressed to SR20... so maybe this progressive ranking isn't going to be a fucking drag through the mud grind like Reach was...

This also seems like it will make it so weapons are unlocked and useable relatively early in your game history (+ DewXP bitches)

Eeh, I don't know. ZB hitscan DMR is just so, so, powerful. It's unstoppable IMO.

Overdoziz

Banned
The Gravity Lift is a good version of the Jetpack AA.
The Camo power-up is the good version of the Active Camo AA.

But nooooooo, they just had to allow people to spawn with every-fucking-thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom