• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I love the sound effects from the stream alone, can't wait to get this game in my Astros.

Just read Eurogamer's review. Quite glad someone was able to cut through the bullshit and acknowledge that the vast majority of work done by 343, at least on the multiplayer side, is lifting Infinity Ward's mechanics into a Halo setting. And I also like that he said, at least initially, that this effects Halo's purity. Not that I'm excited about that, but I'm pleased a reviewer wasn't afraid to call it how it is.

I love the sound effects from the stream alone, can't wait to get this game in my Astros.

Just read Eurogamer's review. Quite glad someone was able to cut through the bullshit and acknowledge that the vast majority of work done by 343, at least on the multiplayer side, is lifting Infinity Ward's mechanics into a Halo setting. And I also like that he said, at least initially, that this effects Halo's purity. Not that I'm excited about that, but I'm pleased a reviewer wasn't afraid to call it how it is.

The weirdest thing was talking about how you can look down the iron sights with the left trigger

uh, wrong, nigga

Disconect

Neo Member
Don't hate me because I'll be beautiful.

Edit: LOL. Hedgemony's take on Tashi v Wu:

A6pNzdTCAAAjw-n.png:large

is that a DLC map ?

BigShow36

These powers are also the focal point of a multiplayer game that’s slowly losing its identity. The bold, simple template of old featured no variable loadouts and no rechargeable powers, instead relying on a beautifully balanced weapon set and accomplished controls. This slowly eroding system has now been nudged a little closer to frenetic Call Of Duty standards thanks to the inclusion of sprinting for all players, item drops as a reward for kill streaks, and customisable loadouts. At the core remains the solid, steady hand of Halo, but those hoping Halo 4 would roll back Reach’s intricacies and deliver an alternative to the current wave of console shooters will be disappointed.

Edge review.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That's probably the most depressing thing I've read about the game. I hated Halo 2's campaign.
Cosnider that Poison took that piece out of context, CVG clearly states that the story ends on a cliffhanger(they state "soft finale") like Halo 2 and anyone who has been following the game knew that it was going to end on that note.

*Vague Ending Spoiler

For those that don't remember, Frankie stated a piece of the ending on Conan(IIRC). Specifically something along the lines of
Chief preparing to go into a war.

*Vague Ending Spoiler

Roche

Never have I been so happy and jealous in one moment :p Have a fantastic time at the party. Are you in Dublin yourself or are you travelling?

Yeah I live in Dublin on the south side so it's convenient enough, I'll see if I can pick up some cool swag to send you as a thank you.

Without going into specifics - the Halo 4 story is more similar to Halo 3 than Halo 2 in terms of scope and depth - but the execution of the story is miles better than any of the previous games. There isn't a "to war" moment, I promise.

without specifics did you find the story as interesting more then previous entries? halo's campaigns are some of my favorite from the last 2 generations, and although they have their flaws (gravemind)I have always found them entertaining and executed well. replaying Halo 3 as I type this and just got to the Ark and still think the lead up to the end of that game is amazing. Other then the Cortana level, I feel every level is well designed and the combat scenarios always fun

Arnie

The weirdest thing was talking about how you can look down the iron sights with the left trigger

uh, wrong, nigga

Aye, that was really odd, and just blatantly false. The day left trigger isn't throw grenade by default is the day I abandon the franchise. It's not that bad, yet.

Tashi's montage is really good. If you're reading this, whats your opinion on DMR versus BR and the launch maps?

Oh god that quote is fucking perfect. I <3 Edge.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Aye, that was really odd, and just blatantly false. The day left trigger isn't throw grenade by default is the day I abandon the franchise. It's not that bad, yet.

Tashi's montage is really good. If you're reading this, whats your opinion on DMR versus BR and the launch maps?

I'm reading this! lol

Thanks for the love <3

Right now I give the edge to the DMR. Love the range on the DMR. However, I did find that some matches I would be playing poorly with the DMR and I would switch to the BR and just play better. Don't really know why. Could be maps. Could be just the way I was playing that game. It's interesting though.

I think it will take some time for the maps to be "broken" but comparing them to Reach, there's really no difference. Halo 4's maps simply outclass Reach's best launch maps (Zealot, Countdown and.....lol)

Apparently there is a Halo event in London on Monday - if it wasn't for work I would totally go. Can we have more details about it Frankie/ anyone? What time it starts and ends etc? Will totally take a half day holiday to go check it out if I could.

Fuchsdh

That's probably the most depressing thing I've read about the game. I hated Halo 2's campaign.

Makes sense, though. It'll be unfortunate, but I'll still enjoy it.

Considering how much Halo 2's story gets trashed, however, it makes me hopeful that what he sees as negatives are in fact positives. I was sad to see Bungie essentially backtracked from the positive steps they were making in terms of creating a real universe with Halo 3 and Reach.

If the hardware's the only limitation here, then I can certainly eat this one up and look forward to the even cooler stuff down the pipeline.

That said, that man's review, if honest, doesn't merit an 8.0 then. Talk about score incongruity.

Apparently there is a Halo event in London on Monday - if it wasn't for work I would totally go. Can we have more details about it Frankie/ anyone? What time it starts and ends etc? Will totally take a half day holiday to go check it out if I could.

Psssst.

All the cool kids will be have H4 by then!

Petrichor

without specifics did you find the story as interesting more then previous entries? halo's campaigns are some of my favorite from the last 2 generations, and although they have their flaws (gravemind)I have always found them entertaining and executed well. replaying Halo 3 as I type this and just got to the Ark and still think the lead up to the end of that game is amazing. Other then the Cortana level, I feel every level is well designed and the combat scenarios always fun

just very vague impressions, no actual spoilers, but I know how sensitive some of you can be!

The story is pretty archetypal, and is a little devoid of depth for my liking, but it's written very well and is well balanced with gameplay sequences. There's lots of neat surprises for lore-buffs that will probably go over the heads of casual players, but surprises on the level of the flood twist in Halo 1 are sorely lacking. The levels are well designed and the closing level in particular is probably the most exciting denouement from a gameplay perspective since the maw in the first game.

neoism

Without going into specifics - the Halo 4 story is more similar to Halo 3 than Halo 2 in terms of scope and depth - but the execution of the story is miles better than any of the previous games. There isn't a "to war" moment, I promise.

awesome h3 has the best story while 2 had the best writing but dat ending was fucking stupid.......that's good the hear, man I can't wait for campaign... so is anyone just going straight to MP.... I wont play one game until campaigns credits role.

Petrichor

Cosnider that Poison took that piece out of context, CVG clearly states that the story ends on a cliffhanger(they state "soft finale") like Halo 2 and anyone who has been following the game knew that it was going to end on that note.

*Vague Ending Spoiler

For those that don't remember, Frankie stated a piece of the ending on Conan(IIRC). Specifically something along the lines of

*Vague Ending Spoiler

Did CVG say that the game ends on a cliffhanger? It really, really doesn't.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Watching Tashi/Bravo's vid (again)... one thing I hadn't paid attention to before, the radar on the Sticky Detonator that pops out after firing. Is the "home" reticle the location of you or the explosive? Seems like it's for the explosive, which is cool.

*Vague Ending Spoiler

*Vague Ending Spoiler

If it's storywise, then yeah it won't bother me. Halo 2's campaign levels were my least favourite though.

Makes sense, though. It'll be unfortunate, but I'll still enjoy it.

Considering how much Halo 2's story gets trashed, however, it makes me hopeful that what he sees as negatives are in fact positives. I was sad to see Bungie essentially backtracked from the positive steps they were making in terms of creating a real universe with Halo 3 and Reach.

If the hardware's the only limitation here, then I can certainly eat this one up and look forward to the even cooler stuff down the pipeline.

That said, that man's review, if honest, doesn't merit an 8.0 then. Talk about score incongruity.

Halo 4 looks completely different to 2 from videos that have been released, so I'm hopeful. Although all of this is out of context since I don't want to read any reviews in fear of spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom