• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I'm reading this! lol

Thanks for the love <3

Right now I give the edge to the DMR. Love the range on the DMR. However, I did find that some matches I would be playing poorly with the DMR and I would switch to the BR and just play better. Don't really know why. Could be maps. Could be just the way I was playing that game. It's interesting though.

I think it will take some time for the maps to be "broken" but comparing them to Reach, there's really no difference. Halo 4's maps simply outclass Reach's best launch maps (Zealot, Countdown and.....lol)
Thanks for this.

My opinion of the DMR really fluctuated in Reach, in that I didn't enjoy it until zero bloom appeared in MLG and it sped sped up the gameplay substantially. I suspect I'll feel the same in Halo 4. In terms of feel, though, I completely understand preferring the BR even if it isn't technically as effective. The audio and burst fire spurt of the BR appears as satisfying as it was in Halo 3, which is still above and beyond any iteration of the DMR.

Great to hear about the maps, Reach really disappointed in that regard.
Apparently there is a Halo event in London on Monday - if it wasn't for work I would totally go. Can we have more details about it Frankie/ anyone? What time it starts and ends etc? Will totally take a half day holiday to go check it out if I could.
I'd be interested in knowing more too. I'm an editor at the University of Sheffield's student newspaper, was initially games editor but ended up moving onto editing the entire entertainment section, so if there is an event I could come down and do a feature on it for Halo 4's launch issue. I'll probably be doing the review, too. It's great to get to pick and choose the specific games I review, rather than having to do most of them.

Cosnider that Poison took that piece out of context, CVG clearly states that the story ends on a cliffhanger(they state "soft finale") like Halo 2 and anyone who has been following the game knew that it was going to end on that note.

Am I really taking it out of context? I know they mention Halo 2's ending as a comparison, but I got the sense the next paragraph was giving a general comparison of the experience as a whole, rather than just the ending.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Those are sick Plywood! <3
13515556432617mk24.gif

There was no other way to respond. Fact.
Did CVG say that the game ends on a cliffhanger? It really, really doesn't.
Well here's the full CVG quote:
That degree of craft is lacking at the end of the campaign. Halo 4 ends with a shrug rather than a bang - a tepid version of the classic Halo escape sequence, a series of firefights in copy/paste spaces, a quicktime event and an inexplicable ending that falls apart under scrutiny. The soft finale is one final throwback to Halo 2 at the end of a story loaded with redundant MacGuffins and supporting characters whose plot strands never service the action.

So, deep breath... Halo 4 is to Halo 3 what Halo 2 was to Halo 1. But for all that, never forget we liked Halo 2. Everyone did. The only thing stopping it from being the best shooter of 2004 was Half-Life 2, which still has the best FPS campaign ever made, so what's a Spartan to do? 2's campaign was narrow and faceplanted at the end, but it still threw a few hundred decent firefights at us along the way. It was a good game, but it was never a good Halo.
Am I really taking it out of context? I know they mention Halo 2's ending as a comparison, but I got the sense the next paragraph was giving a general comparison of the experience as a whole, rather than just the ending.
I suppose, but the person seems to have a good bit of disdain towards the ending... and Halo 2.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks for this.

My opinion of the DMR really fluctuated in Reach, in that I didn't enjoy it until zero bloom appeared in MLG and it sped sped up the gameplay substantially. I suspect I'll feel the same in Halo 4. In terms of feel, though, I completely understand preferring the BR even if it isn't technically as effective. The audio and burst fire spurt of the BR appears as satisfying as it was in Halo 3, which is still above and beyond any iteration of the DMR.

Great to hear about the maps, Reach really disappointed in that regard.

I'd be interested in knowing more too. I'm an editor at the University of Sheffield's student newspaper, was initially games editor but ended up moving onto editing the entire entertainment section, so if there is an event I could come down and do a feature on it for Halo 4's launch issue. I'll probably be doing the review, too. It's great to get to pick and choose the specific games I review, rather than having to do most of them.

Well I didn't mean I switched to just the BR and played better sometimes. I meant just switching it up period. There were times I went to the Light Rifle (potentially best starting weapon) and kicked ass as well.

edit: LOL plywood

i've said it before and i'll say it again, i think the bolt shot should be the flagnum. aesthetically it makes more sense with its assembly equip animation, and as a flag runner i'd far prefer a versatile headshot capable weapon that can also double as a shotgun blast rather than fending off against the entire enemy team that knows exactly where i am with some pathetic bloomy spaghetti gun.

CyReN

There are about 250+ on and none will touch CTF or Dominion, really want to try them already. Top 3 playlist ATM are: IS, BTB IS, and to my surprise TS Pro.

The reviewer feels differently to you, I'm not sure I get the big deal?

That is completely besides the point. Halo is a game that has never, and should never use iron sights. It's not a matter of him "feeling differently", it's that he uses something that wouldn't even fit the gameplay as a negative. It's an empty criticism in response to all these "modern" games having it.

JackHerer

i've said it before and i'll say it again, i think the bolt shot should be the flagnum. aesthetically it makes more sense with its assembly equip animation, and as a flag runner i'd far prefer a versatile headshot capable weapon that can also double as a shotgun blast rather than fending off against the entire enemy team that knows exactly where i am with some pathetic bloomy spaghetti gun.

What's the point of having a shotgun blast when you have a one hit kill flag melee?

BigShow36

Holy shit GamesRadar, complaining about lack of iron sights?... WTF.

The addition of sprinting is helpful, but you&#8217;ll likely wish it was joined by iron sights, at least for some of the awesome new guns you&#8217;ll pick up. It's not that it's necessary--far from it--but with so many other elements shifting forward it feels out of place when zooming in on a pistol changes the entire screen...

The aforementioned changes definitely makes things feel more advanced, and help the multiplayer side of Halo--which has always been among the best when it comes to online shooters--catch up with the competition.

These are the fans that 343 is shooting for though. The guys who think that CoD multiplayer is more "advanced" and the "future" of shooters. If they're willing to incorporate sprint, loadouts, unlocks, and perks, why shouldn't casuals expect them to add in iron-sights as well.

That is completely besides the point. Halo is a game that has never, and should never use iron sights. It's not a matter of him "feeling differently", it's that he uses something that wouldn't even fit the gameplay as a negative. It's an empty criticism in response to all these "modern" games having it.

How can you say that when Halo his borrowed practically every major feature from Call of Duty except iron sights? Iron sights is one of the least egregious thing they could have taken from CoD.

What do you mean? He can't offer his opinion? Or that he's saying it too objectively?
Or that you subjectively feel his opinion is crazy?

I mean I only got to watch 90 minutes last night since they started the stream at 3am EST but the dude who kicked it off was pretty good and he was struggling with the pistol. Should reduce the bloom and increase the bullet magnetism. The circle is so big sometimes it looks like you are on the person but the bullets dont hit (Seemed to happen in Reach and H3 too)

Why use it when you can use a no skill required AR and get a kill faster? Scoping and killing a unaware nub will only happen the first couple weeks and then it seems like itll become a useless weapon.

BigShow36

I mean I only got to watch 90 minutes last night since they started the stream at 3am EST but the dude who kicked it off was pretty good and he was struggling with the pistol. Should reduce the bloom and increase the bullet magnetism. The circle is so big sometimes it looks like you are on the person but the bullets dont hit (Seemed to happen in Reach and H3 too)

Why use it when you can use a no skill required AR and get a kill faster? Scoping and killing a unaware nub will only happen the first couple weeks and then it seems like itll become a useless weapon.

They should eliminate bloom completely, leave it difficult to use, and increase it to a 4sk.

blamite

So has there been any indication at all whether we'll be getting a Bulletin today/tomorrow/this week? I need more info on the Waypoint update, dammit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
No. And hitting an overcharged shot was pretty tough. Definitely need some practice with it.

Is it like a shotgun when charged, or is it similar to a plasma pistol overcharge? I heard comparisons to the mauler early on. It's hitscan right?

Cannot wait to get my hands on the promethean weapons. Dat entirely new weapon sandbox.

I think CyRen just destroyed the morale of some serious Halo players with his post

RIP MLG

How can one man save a community and kill it in the same year!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom