• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Halo either does too much, or not enough. It either sticks the formula, or strays a bit too far from it. I read this so many times in reviews today. Such a lose lose situation.

It really is. That's one reason I don't envy 343 at all. They were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. To take someone else's creation and then make it your own is almost impossible. I may not like everything I've seen. For me it's probably going to end up a 7 or so overall. Which isn't bad on my scale mind you. In spite of that I do however give 343 props for doing what they've done and I'm buying it.

orznge

Banned
These are the fans that 343 is shooting for though. The guys who think that CoD multiplayer is more "advanced" and the "future" of shooters. If they're willing to incorporate sprint, loadouts, unlocks, and perks, why shouldn't casuals expect them to add in iron-sights as well.

How can you say that when Halo his borrowed practically every major feature from Call of Duty except iron sights? Iron sights is one of the least egregious thing they could have taken from CoD.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That review was so lame. His thoughts warrant something closer to a 5 or a 6 score, instead he was a rebel and went an ENTIRE point below the average for the game. He must be a guy who'd drink milk one day after the expiration date.

Aggrotek

That review was so lame. His thoughts warrant something closer to a 5 or a 6 score, instead he was a rebel and went an ENTIRE point below the average for the game. He must be a guy who'd drink milk one day after the expiration date.

But the expiration dates are just guidelines for the retailers... the date it'll go bad is usually a week or longer after the date printed.

Beckx

Halo either does too much, or not enough. It either sticks the formula, or strays a bit too far from it. I read this so many times in reviews today. Such a lose lose situation.

Why drive yourself crazy with reviews? This is an industry that's convinced people that "9.8" (or 7.2 or 4.5) is something reachable in a subjective review process of an entertainment product. To the point that they have gamers squabbling over whether tenth of point deductions were justifiable.

Also, aim down sights are from the devil. "Halo 4 is beautiful, but I can see too much of it. Please cover half my screen with a gun."

I can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Seriously. From what's quoted here this guy - forget his conclusions or his score - is a parody of every mainstream AAA game consumer. I don't want to think, I don't want to explore, life is hard, I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Lunchbox

Banned

i wanted to see 10s across the board so i couldve spit at bungie
or 4s/5s so i can go back to them and get beat like an abused wife aka play reach

this 9s/8s crap is boring

Why drive yourself crazy with reviews? This is an industry that's convinced people that "9.8" (or 7.2 or 4.5) is something reachable in a subjective review process of an entertainment product. To the point that they have gamers squabbling over whether tenth of point deductions were justifiable.

Also, aim down sights are from the devil. "Halo 4 is beautiful, but I can see too much of it. Please cover half my screen with a gun."

I love it when people say they'd be more accurate with ADS. Hahaha.

Korosenai

That guy in the machinima stream is soooo annoying now

"flood dick lol"
"make a flood dick lol"
"lol flood lol dick lol"
"flooood diiiiick"

Oh believe me, reviews have so little say in my purchases these days. I tend to use them as rough guidelines. I left the review thread due to people bitching about Edge giving the game an 8. I don't care about numbers or scores, but I do love reading reviews. My main problems with the reviews I read today, whether good or bad, was that so many expect Halo to become something it simply is not. They expect it to adopt everything from the modern FPS. The day Halo does that, is the day Halo stops being Halo. Reviewers that can't see past that simply have a very skewed view on gaming.

Fuchsdh

Pretty much. That's why I ignore reviews for sequels, simple as that.

EDIT: That review is hilarious. The environments are too large (despite other reviewers saying they were small like Halo 2), and iron sights are necessary for an FPS?

bj1pK.gif

No bulletin forever. They're too busy trying to moderate the Waypoint forums (which pretty much burned to the ground when the live stream confirmed no visible ranks).

I'm almost certain we were supposed to have one tonight.

Why on earth were they taking questions for this weeks bulletin otherwise?

not that I cant accept a bad review for Halo 4, but this EGM review is all over the place and seems written by somebody that had his opinion on what the game would be before he even picked up the sticks. Comparing it's story to BLOPS and Far Cry? if thats considered the pinnacle of modern FPS story telling then I'm glad that Halo 4 "feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist".

FyreWulff

Really? dog-tired conventions, like no ADS?

ffs.

People don't honestly understand that ironsights has game design implications. They think it should just be there. They don't understand the why, they just want it there. And it's funny when Halo is referred to being stuck in it's old ways when the mechanics behind Ironsight in first person shooters is older than Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
not that I cant accept a bad review for Halo 4, but this EGM review is all over the place and seems written by somebody that had his opinion on what the game would be before he even picked up the sticks. Comparing it's story to BLOPS and Far Cry? if thats considered the pinnacle of modern FPS story telling then I'm glad that Halo 4 "feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist".

So basically the people shitting on this review are pretentious Half Life fans?

I'M JOKING. IT'S A JOKE. CALM DOWN EVERYONE

People don't honestly understand that ironsights has game design implications. They think it should just be there. They don't understand the why, they just want it there. And it's funny when Halo is referred to being stuck in it's old ways when the mechanics behind Ironsight in first person shooters is older than Halo.

Talking about Doom/Wolf3D's center-anchored guns or something else? Because that's not really the same as ADS.

No bulletin forever. They're too busy trying to moderate the Waypoint forums (which pretty much burned to the ground when the live stream confirmed no visible ranks).

:lol

I guess that means more than 1% care? I really am surprised they didn't bring some sort of visual rank system.. I am nowhere near a top tier player but even I enjoyed ranked MM.. sure I spent a lot of time in social slayer, but I definitely got into ranks and really wanted to see something in Halo 4.

feel

Really? dog-tired conventions, like no ADS?

ffs.
It seems like all you post is complaints about the current topics. People should be able discuss whatever they want about the games, and if stuff is being recycled there's usually a good reason for it.

Arnie

It seems like all you post is complaints about the current topics. People should be able discuss whatever they want about the games, and if stuff is being recycled there's usually a good reason for it.

Exactly. Queue my post...

I'm glad Waypoint's blowing up about ranks. I want 343 to understand just how much they under-served this particular community of Halo players who don't want the exact same bastardised experience system that's been prevalent, and thus uninspiring and overplayed, for the last half decade.

This is Halo, I don't really believe many on the multiplayer design team understand or care for that enough, personally.

There are about 250+ on and none will touch CTF or Dominion, really want to try them already. Top 3 playlist ATM are: IS, BTB IS, and to my surprise TS Pro.

RIP Objective

How very sad and I'm not impressed if this is a sign of things to come in matchmaking. I seriously hope the community get behind objective games more than they did with Reach.

I also hope 343i have some potential tweaks just "in the bag and ready to publish to matchmaking" rapidly so they don't lose the potential population for objective games either.

The last thing I want is for them to have their day in the sun with their settings, miss the objective mark and not updated it quickly enough so they lose the population long term. That would suck.

Fingers crossed their objective settings actually bring population back to objective, at least their playlists having CTF on its own is a solid move in the right direction.

FyreWulff

Talking about Doom/Wolf3D's center-anchored guns or something else? Because that's not really the same as ADS.

The same mechanic of slowing your movement in trade for much higher accuracy aiming exists in Goldeneye, and I believe a game before even that (a military sim). The only difference is there's blurry gun sights on your screen instead of a red crosshair. Mechanically.

It's just funny when they say the game moves slowly, then want a mechanic that slows you down. And it'd just be stupid if every single gun in Halo was 1SK, if I'm assuming they also want the autoaim-to-head popping into the sights and shooting effect.

(I'll be back to continue thisin a bit, going on a Game Fuel hunt)

The same mechanic of slowing your movement in trade for much higher accuracy aiming exists in Goldeneye, and I believe a game before even that (a military sim). The only difference is there's blurry gun sights on your screen instead of a red crosshair. Mechanically.

Oh, ok. I haven't played much Goldeneye, so I didn't know what you were referring to.

Pop

How very sad and I'm not impressed if this is a sign of things to come in matchmaking. I seriously hope the community get behind objective games more than they did with Reach.

I also hope 343i have some potential tweaks just "in the bag and ready to publish to matchmaking" rapidly so they don't lose the potential population for objective games either.

The last thing I want is for them to have their day in the sun with their settings, miss the objective mark and not updated it quickly enough so they lose the population long term. That would suck.

Fingers crossed their objective settings actually bring population back to objective, at least their playlists having CTF on its own is a solid move in the right direction.

The better question is, What will happen when their new objective gametypes start failing in numbers? Will they remove them for classic gametypes?

Edit: The backlash on waypoint forums over skill ranks is phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom