• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
From Bulletin...

Will there be a skill-based ranking system? - xBrutaIity

We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.

Tashi's question also answered. Decent bulletin. I'm pumped, keep thinking I can't get more hyped. Disproved every day.

No SWAT playlist at launch, weird. Hope that doesn't mean it's in any of the slayer playlists.

edit: Doesn't seem like it is, each playlist contains one mode.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cutting through the filler:

What playlists are going to be available at launch? - SensoryFour34

Infinity Slayer – 4 v. 4
Big Team Infinity Slayer – 8 v. 8
Dominion – 6 v. 6
Regicide – 6-player FFA
Flood – 10 players
Capture the Flag – 5 v. 5
Oddball – 5 v. 5
King of the Hill – 5 v. 5
Team Slayer Pro – 4 v. 4

Will there be a skill-based ranking system? - xBrutaIity

We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.

Can Sprint be disabled? - Buffdaddy Jama

Sprint is a base trait for all Spartans, but you can, as always, adjust the upper limit of your Spartan's speed in custom game player traits. In the “Traits” section of the custom game menu, players can tune a Spartan’s movement speed from 0% of default to 300%. When tuning a player’s movement speed, Sprint scales as well. Sprint itself cannot be disabled, but there are many other ways to modify player speeds, including power-ups and trait zones.

Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this? - unip8

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.

If you preorder weapon skins (e.g., Arctic BR from GameStop), will they unlock the weapon as soon as you redeem the code, or will you have to unlock the weapon before you get the weapon skin? - a zoojoo

You'll get immediate access to that weapon (or armor for that matter) with that skin; you don't have to rank up or spend Spartan Points. For weapons this is mostly a fairly small head start, since the skinned pre-order weapons are low in the ranks, but some of the armor skins will definitely give you earlier access to that type of armor.

Clan support was a feature that got many players into the competitive spirit of Halo Multiplayer in a challenging-yet-rewarding way. Why has this feature died, or rather been missing in action, since Halo 2? Was it ever considered for implementation in Halo 4, and what was the deciding factor in it not being included? - u4iX

As we mentioned before, we plan to continue consistent and meaningful sustainment updates to improve and enhance player experience. Social constructs are something we too have missed since Halo 2, and we're looking at interesting ways to improve those experiences in the not-too-distant future. I will be using that expression a lot. Get used to it.

Can you talk about what criteria matchmaking uses to find suitable teammates and opponents? What does the system prioritize? Location, connection, skill, etc.? - NYSTOFMIND23

Matchmaking will use geography, connection data, history and skill to determine player populations per game. Skill and connection get very high priority, but there will be other factors involved. I should also note that the simplification of our hoppers and playlists means that the quality of those matchmaking criteria will be improved through population density and that alone will make a huge difference.

What can you tell us about the betrayal booting system in Halo 4? - omarlotrc

Betrayal booting takes game type and "deliberateness" into account and while in a lot of ways it's similar to the prior incarnations, we've tried to be cleverer about what the game thinks is deliberate versus accidental. And Join In Progress should help ameliorate the negative impacts for everyone involved.

Holiday

Banned
However, you took my point and construed it to being about my preference when in reality I was saying it would look childish to finally get your way at MLG and shit on folks who made it possible by chanting "we want ranks." It's a have your cake and eat it too way of thinking when there are probably more constructive ways to get your point across.

How would that chant be considered "shitting" on 343? How is it disrespectful? What are the more constructive ways? Long, thought-out, well-argued forum posts? Those have never worked, and they never will.

bs angel said:
Sprint itself cannot be disabled

LOL

CyReN

I'd be happy if they ranked MLG and one default playlist. At least I'd know which to avoid the cheaters in.

I can agree the playlists need tweaking more often and why they don't just have an official MLG representative update that playlist/setting specifically is beyond me.

However you have to admit that ranked online in matchmaking means very little at an individual level due to all the issues over all the games. I played in them all and for example in Halo 3 slayer/objective at level 50 I know how often the host cheating, booting, boosting, multi-accounts and all that took place. It was at epidemic proportions for months and still annoying years down the track too.

If you can solve the cheating issues then I'd be all for a return of ranked. Hell I'm not even for or against it but I understand why they took it out. It's meaningless.

After all the players who are for ranked were all basically 50's in Halo 3 so what difference is it really for them? They'll still be matched and most likely even recognised many of the teams and players they'll face anyhow. It's still win or lose or die trying so what's the real difference?

Within the first minute of gameplay you can tell the organised teams for the randoms and the power players from the noobs.

People want something to strive for with ranks, that's the whole purpose. That's why we have grades in schooling systems. I probably wouldn't have invested so much time into Halo 2/3 without a ranking system. I don't belive the issue of ranks is even dwindles down to the competitive community either, but a large portion across the board.

Granted, yes I could get together with 7 of my buddies and start some customs too if I'm really wishing to get that "close skill gameplay", but after a day of work/class people like to hop on and play a few hours without that headache.

With the whole cheating issue, why not this game? CoD right now is a bigger franchise (behind Minecraft, I can't believe I typed that) with online numbers and it's introducing it. It's going to be a issue there no doubt so how are they combating it? and how could 343 and other game company utilize a ban system via Xbox Live.

I think the things that bothers me after playing for a few days is how close this game is to being the best Halo game. It's right there, like hey you want to come in for some drinks kinda close. Just minor things like ranks/campaign theater/classic custom game settings/clans/etc. The multiplayer is solid, fluid, maps are good. Single player is incredible, and Spartan Ops is the gift that keeps on giving weekly with great missions.

Either way I'll play Halo 4 for years to come, it just sucks that something that meant a lot to me is gone.

heckfu

Banned
How would that chant be considered "shitting" on 343? How is it disrespectful? What are the more constructive ways? Long, thought-out, well-argued forum posts? Those have never worked, and they never will.

Please, do take this the wrong way when I say it, but if I have to explain myself in more detail then you aren't worth my time.

Nirvana

Visual rank fails when shit happens. Do you look at Rangers and think they must be a shit team because of what division they are in? Because that's what you do when you see a 20 in Team Slayer who is actually a 50 on his main, right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-third-division/table

Now I know leagues aren't what Halo 3 or 2 had but the effect was the same. Look at the actual skill of the team. When they essentially had their rank reset, perhaps by starting a new account to boost, did their skill change? Nope. Yet there they are playing scrubs at the lowest division in the league.

When visual ranks were in Halo a lot of shit happened. Shit that, in 343's vision, will not be as prevalent in 4 and I can't fault them for trying to reduce it. It could still fail horribly but at least it won't be the same as the flawed systems in 3 and 2 (in 343's mind).

I can't imagine how anyone who came into Halo 3 multiplayer 12 months in managed to get passed a level 20; the amount of boosters and second accounters was ridiculous and I would think basically anyone just starting out would get stomped over and over and then never touch ranked again.

I can understand why people hated ranks. What I will say, is that people never had to play ranked matches if they didn't want to, they had social; the point being, surely it is a bigger deal for people who want ranks to have them than it is for people who don't want ranks to not have them.

I feel like I'll never have the same feeling in multiplayer that I did on Halo 3 ever again, because games like Call Of Duty have made it all about personal goals as opposed to team oriented ones; games where every player has a different set of goals: getting headshots with a certain weapon, getting grenade kills, maintaining their k/d ratio or just playing for fun. All of these different goals for each player is what made Reach multiplayer a snore, because due to there being no unifying goal, the end result of the match didn't matter, each person would get satisfaction from different specific moments throughout the game rather than the endgame result; the crux being that this has killed competitive team gameplay.

The bottom line is that ranks would make a portion of the community very happy and wouldn't have to have any effect on those that don't want them, as social gametypes would still be available and more to the point, likely more populated anyway.

I don't begrudge casual players for just wanting to have fun, but I do begrudge the fact that those of us that enjoy ranked, competitive play are villified because of a minority that take the argument to extreme places and a casual community that argue its unimportance while not realising they never HAD to play it.

EDIT: Should note this isn't a direct rebuttal to the quoted text, just a general alternate perspective.

Holiday

Banned
Please, do take this the wrong way when I say it, but if I have to explain myself in more detail then you aren't worth my time.

Serious questions. I don't see how a playerbase chanting for a feature that is missing to be brought back is disrespectful to 343.

orznge

Banned
I can't imagine how anyone who came into Halo 3 multiplayer 12 months in managed to get passed a level 20; the amount of boosters and second accounters was ridiculous and I would think basically anyone just starting out would get stomped over and over and then never touch ranked again.

I can understand why people hated ranks. What I will say, is that people never had to play ranked matches if they didn't want to, they had social; the point being, surely it is a bigger deal for people who want ranks to have them than it is for people who don't want ranks to not have them.

I feel like I'll never have the same feeling in multiplayer that I did on Halo 3 ever again, because games like Call Of Duty have made it all about personal goals as opposed to team oriented ones; games where every player has a different set of goals: getting headshots with a certain weapon, getting grenade kills, maintaining their k/d ratio or just playing for fun. All of these different goals for each player is what made Reach multiplayer a snore, because due to there being no unifying goal, the end result of the match didn't matter, each person would get satisfaction from different specific moments throughout the game rather than the endgame result; the crux being that this has killed competitive team gameplay.

The bottom line is that ranks would make a portion of the community very happy and wouldn't have to have any effect on those that don't want them, as social gametypes would still be available and more to the point, likely more populated anyway.

I don't begrudge casual players for just wanting to have fun, but I do begrudge the fact that those of us that enjoy ranked, competitive play are villified because of a minority that take the argument to extreme places and a casual community that argue its unimportance while not realising they never HAD to play it.

ugh, another riled-up junior rant incited by the Visible Ranking Demagogues!

Pop

Don't waste your breath.

Edit: Proved right

People want something to strive for with ranks, that's the whole purpose. That's why we have grades in schooling systems. I probably wouldn't have invested so much time into Halo 2/3 without a ranking system. I don't belive the issue of ranks is even dwindles down to the competitive community either, but a large portion across the board.

Granted, yes I could get together with 7 of my buddies and start some customs too if I'm really wishing to get that "close skill gameplay", but after a day of work/class people like to hop on and play a few hours without that headache.

With the whole cheating issue, why not this game? CoD right now is a bigger franchise (behind Minecraft, I can't believe I typed that) with online numbers and it's introducing it. It's going to be a issue there no doubt so how are they combating it? and how could 343 and other game company utilize a ban system via Xbox Live.

I think the things that bothers me after playing for a few days is how close this game is to being the best Halo game. It's right there, like hey you want to come in for some drinks kinda close. Just minor things like ranks/campaign theater/classic custom game settings/clans/etc. The multiplayer is solid, fluid, maps are good. Single player is incredible, and Spartan Ops is the gift that keeps on giving weekly with great missions.

Either way I'll play Halo 4 for years to come, it just sucks that something that meant a lot to me is gone.

I feel you man, CTF & Assault are rubbing me the wrong way with such a long dedicated history to Halo objective. I'm the same that I'll still play for years to come too.

They do have a statement in today's bulletin that they'll have something for players to get into regarding rank/skill. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though.

As far as COD-BOII having ranks I think you'll find they're about to repeat the cycle Halo 2, 3 & Reach have gone through.

I've always wondered why they don't just roll ranks and updates into playlists/title updates and actually have one staff member dedicated to banning the leaderboard cheaters and dealing with the gaps the automated system can't deal with.

Bungie did it for boosters but never took it to network manipulation or other parts that the automated systems couldn't touch.

After all with a studio of 300+ staff and the budget plus revenue Halo 4 is bringing in it does seem silly they don't have the resources or ingenuity to deal with the rank issues so the game can have ranks.

I will very much concede I loved Halo 3 ranked objective; no guests, no modding but still host cheaters as well as boosting accounts. I still played the fuck out of ranked objective though. If that came back I'd be on your side screaming for ranked too I suppose.

Love how they chose to take the skill ranks question... and then pitch it out the window.

Got about as detailed an answer on Campaign Theater as we could reasonably expect, though, so that's good.

Zoojoo sighting.

Thank God they actually took a serious look at the betrayal system, that thing is atrocious.

All in all, a decent Bulletin.

MrDaravon

Not terribly thrilled that the ONLY 8v8 playlist at launch is Infinity Slayer only, wish there was some other stuff in there as well.

Talking about bringing in features and changes in TU's is good, but now that they've put some of this stuff out there they're going to need to deliver on it, or they'll never hear the end of it.

lilty

I look at Arena Gaming but did not find their settings. Do they play default Halo or MLG or their own settings?
They have their own settings which are pretty much MLG settings on different map variants. It's a pretty welcome change of pace.

I love AGL. Really hope the league continues to grow and that the community continues to support it.

MrBig

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options

Good. I hate how console games have always been treated as being feature locked after being shipped, glad H4 is breaking that expectation.

Nirvana

ugh, another riled-up junior rant incited by the Visible Ranking Demagogues!

Sorry for having an opinion man, I didn't think it came across as too much of a rant, but fair enough. Surely the whole elitist 'junior' line could've been skipped though.

"We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future."

From the bulletin, I'm sure they're just talking about Waypoint and such, but this will help to defuse the issue. Hopefully it does a better job than BPR which basically didn't mean anything.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sorry for having an opinion man, I didn't think it came across as too much of a rant, but fair enough. Surely the whole elitist 'junior' line could've been skipped though.

From the bulletin, I'm sure they're just talking about Waypoint and such, but this will help to defuse the issue. Hopefully it does a better job than BPR which basically didn't mean anything.

i've got a better idea!

use halo 2s system

the end

it's very clear that jokes are taken VERY seriously here and people will hold grudges against you for a long time.

look at kyle, for example (of someone people hate for what is clearly a sense of humor).

Confusion comes from subjective tone in the written word differing to the spoken word. I know when I came to HaloGAF I had to reassess the tone of many members.

I still get caught out misinterpreting the written tone here more than other forums, maybe you're just a cynical or maniacal bunch ;).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Guys, I just developed this awesome new 343 translator. It takes otherwise vague answers to questions and translates them into something that will satisfy you.

//:Run:343Translator.java

*beep* *boop* *beep*

Hi! Welcome to 343 Translator developed by Tashi. (Beta 0.8.4) Please enter the 343 answer or phrase you'd like to have translated and hit enter:

>>We are tracking all player skill data and while it will not be exposed in the game UI at launch, we have some ideas about how to give players access to that information, in a useful way, in the not-so-distant future.

*beep* *boop* *beep* *beep* *beep*

Translating...

Thank you for waiting, here is your translation. For more updates please subscribe to HaloGAF Radio on iTunes. Hehehehe

>>We already have stats that we use for ranks in matchmaking
>>They will not be seen Day 1
>>We're working on it, please be patient

End translation...

Would you like to translate again? [y/n]

n

Thank you for using 343 Translator.

There's your answer guys!

heckfu

Banned
Confusion comes from subjective tone in the written word differing to the spoken word. I know when I came to HaloGAF I had to reassess the tone of many members.

I still get caught out misinterpreting the written tone here more than other forums, maybe you're just a cynical or maniacal bunch ;).

I think with people like myself, kyle, juices, over, and the more cynical members (regardless of how they feel about the game and more about tone) playing with us is a different story completely. I would say close to 100% of people enjoy playing and conversing with all of us on XBL and can better understand our writing style after learning how we speak online.

I think with people like myself, kyle, juices, over, and the more cynical members (regardless of how they feel about the game and more about tone) playing with us is a different story completely. I would say close to 100% of people enjoy playing and conversing with all of us on XBL and can better understand our writing style after learning how we speak online.

Sounds more than reasonable mate +1.

Swarmerr

I am afraid clans and being able to view ranks might come at a cost, I am thinking it might be like call of duty elite where you have to pay money for it every month..

I REALLY REALLY hope I am wrong and being way too negative...

J10

Banned

About a year into Halo 3 I stopped playing ranked matches altogether. The amount of second and third accounters steamrolling through matchmaking became unbearable and matches were mostly unfun. People complain about Reach's loose use of Trueskill for matchmaking - Halo 2/3 were no better with it alongside visible ranks. That number next to gamertags always seemed like poison to me. The only solace was playing exclusively with friends who communicate - at least then, even if matched against superior teams most of the time we still felt like we had a shot if we pushed really hard, but it was usually too intense and frustrating to be fully enjoyable - we're just average skilled players, 35s matched against 35s who were really 45s. That was my experience anyway. I was glad ranks were gone for Reach.

Nirvana

I am afraid clans and being able to view ranks might come at a cost, I am thinking it might be like call of duty elite where you have to pay money for it every month..

I would almost laugh if that were the case, it would just seem like such a calculated dick move haha.

Bsigg12

Activision makes a killing with Call of Duty Elite. Though if you have Elite premium, you would get a new map every month rather than map packs.

I think it'll be a thing we see in game. They seemingly have made a playdoh esque game so they can add to it significantly. I'm excited for the game and the post launch plans they have.

senador

Banned
Just read the bulletin. I am super interested in their TU plans post launch now. Sounds like it could be exciting. It reads like things aren't set in stone yet, but also implied they've got shit coming. I'm excited. :)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just read the bulletin. I am super interested in there TU plans post launch now. Sounds like it could be exciting. It reads like things aren't set in stone yet, but also implied they've got shit coming. I'm excited. :)
Just read it too. Cautiously optimistic.

It's so damn easy to say "more exciting things to come". :_|

senador

Banned
Just read it too. Cautiously optimistic.

It's so damn easy to say "more exciting things to come". :_|

True, but based on how over cautious with giving info they have been, then switching to hinting at large things coming in the "not so distant future" really implies that shit is indeed coming, its just not finalized.

I guess to hit the launch date they had to cut stuff to give higher focus to other things, and that's why they kept waiting to talk about some things because they weren't sure of their status, but now they still want to try to push those things out still? Great damn idea IMO. Now just deliver please and next time find a way to communicate that somehow.

Ryaaan14

Banned
True, but based on how over cautious with giving info they have been, then switching to hinting at large things coming in the "not so distant future" really implies that shit is indeed coming, its just not finalized.

I guess to hit the launch date they had to cut stuff to give higher focus to other things, and that's why they kept waiting to talk about some things because they weren't sure of their status, but now they still want to try to push those things out still? Great damn idea IMO. Now just deliver please and next time find a way to communicate that somehow.
I get that, I really do. I just don't want to raise my hopes for title updates until we get promises.

Why are all your faces always crying?
Underscores are classier than spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom