• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

senador

Banned
I get that, I really do. I just don't want to raise my hopes for title updates until we get promises.

Probably a good idea. It just caught me off guard and it wasn't what I expected from 343 so I'm pretty stoked to see what they might bring via TU even if its not major. I mean, anything beyond tweaks is great.

Please, do take this the wrong way when I say it, but if I have to explain myself in more detail then you aren't worth my time.

romney-smile-o.gif

Mother of god.
My Xbox just red ringed.
Buying a replacement tomorrow I suppose. Holy eff what horrible timing :(

Dude, mine did the same thing about the same number of days out from the ODST launch. I love my wife, that's all I can say, lol. She made sure I was prepared to drop.

Hope the best for you before launch!

FyreWulff

Is it true that Theater isn't available in Campaign and Opartan ops? If so, what was the reasoning behind this and will there be a future patch or download to fix this? - unip8

Theater Mode in Campaign did not make the cut for launch for various reasons of scheduling, rendering issues and some significant engine changes. However, we are treating Title Updates very differently for Halo 4 and rather than simply using them as opportunities for simple big fixes, we are thinking of them as a way to sustain and grow features and options, so it is possible you could see Saved Films made available for Campaign (as well as some other significant features) at some time in the not-too-distant future, but that's yet to be determined.

This is what I wanted to hear. If you're going to break compat between versions unlike Bungie, actually capitalize on the freedom it gives you. But they're not going to get praise until it happens.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I wonder if they'll be able to add campaign/Spartan Ops scoring with the TUs

Hell, I wonder if they'll be able to add Firefight in TUs too!

Ramirez

They're setting themselves up to fall with potential hope of TU's that add in big game features, but, I guess they feel pretty confident about it or they wouldn't mention it. *shrug*

GhaleonEB

This is what I wanted to hear. If you're going to break compat between versions unlike Bungie, actually capitalize on the freedom it gives you. But they're not going to get praise until it happens.

Yeah. I found this very encouraging.

I'm a bit disappointed in the playlists. I totally approve of the consolidation, as I think that will make a huge difference in skill matching and speeds. But I'm a BTB fan, in particular BTB objective - of which there are none. I also do NOT want to play Infinity Slayer, and that's the only BTB playlist. And I was looking forward to Extraction, which is MIA.

So I kind of struck out in terms of what I want to play in War Games. Since I'm doing my Campaign and Spartan Ops romps before touching War Games, I hope something is added around those lines. I really want a BTB objective playlist: Dominion, CTF, Extraction. Given 343 is doing one playlist per hopper, I'll settle for any one of those.

Ramirez

I'm a bit disappointed in the playlists. I totally approve of the consolidation, as I think that will make a huge difference in skill matching and speeds. But I'm a BTB fan, in particular BTB objective - of which there are none. I also do NOT want to play Infinity Slayer, and that's the only BTB playlist. And I was looking forward to Extraction, which is MIA.

So I kind of struck out in terms of what I want to play in War Games. Since I'm doing my Campaign and Spartan Ops romps before touching War Games, I hope something is added around those lines. I really want a BTB objective playlist: Dominion, CTF, Extraction. Given 343 is doing one playlist per hopper, I'll settle for any one of those.

Perhaps those modes simply play out better with those player counts? None of the maps aside from Meltdown even look that great for 8v8, IMO.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Perhaps those modes simply play out better with those player counts? None of the maps aside from Meltdown even look that great for 8v8, IMO.

The opening line up looks rather... lame, to be honest.

A single 8v8 playlist, No regular slayer OR objectives

Two 4v4 playlists, One infinity and one pro. No regular?

I wonder why they're choosing this route. Halo 3 had a pretty solid lineup at launch.

what's funny about that?

You can't disable jumping or melee either, being able to disable sprint would go against the consistency of player actions across gametypes.

I for one am glad sprint is in for good.
Like armor abilities? You're comparing essential game abilities like jumping and melee to something non-essential like sprint. Not really the same.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Anyone going to piece together the symbol for the terminal thing?
If you don't get what i'm talking about, scan around the image. There are bits all over the place. First one i noticed was over the lava, bottom left. another one above that, one infront of the player towards the top, one a little down and to the right of that....

I'm bad at photoshop, so i reallllllly don't want to do it

Ramirez

The opening line up looks rather... lame, to be honest.

A single 8v8 playlist, No regular slayer OR objectives

Two 4v4 playlists, One infinity and one pro. No regular?

I wonder why they're choosing this route. Halo 3 had a pretty solid lineup at launch.

I think the launch lists are great, it's about time I don't have to worry about being forced to play SWAT & Snipers at launch.

Im still surprised they haven't made something like "Team Hardcore" for the CoD crowd.. mix of Infinity Slayer and Swat, low shields, fast kill times, lots of Ordinance, emphasis on UNSC weapons, over powered melees, etc. Hell, I would probably play it from time to time, it would basically be swat with more than the BR/DMR/Pistol

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I think the launch lists are great, it's about time I don't have to worry about being forced to play SWAT & Snipers at launch.

What I was honestly hoping for:

4v4:
Infinity Slayer
SWAT
Grifball

5v5:
Oddball
CTF
Vanilla Slayer

6v6:
Dominion
Extraction

8v8
Dominion
Extraction
Infinity Slayer
Vanilla Slayer

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Im still surprised they haven't made something like "Team Hardcore" for the CoD crowd.. mix of Infinity Slayer and Swat, low shields, fast kill times, lots of Ordinance, emphasis on UNSC weapons, over powered melees, etc. Hell, I would probably play it from time to time, it would basically be swat with more than the BR/DMR/Pistol

Eww

I knoowwwwww, but its not that bad. Just throw low ammo in the power weapons, look to MLG for inspiration, merge it with Swat and we have a weird but likely popular playlist. Though, if it existed and took the place of something like CTF I would be pissed. Once again, this is one of those things that I don't necessarily want, but I wouldn't mind if it happened. Just kinda thinking out loud.. Hm. IMO It would work best as a weekend playlist if those ever came back.

FyreWulff

Disappointing, but expected. Back when they split BTB into BTB Slayer and BTB Objective.. BTB Slayer's population was miles ahead of BTB Objective.

If they're truly going to stick to one playlist = one gametype, then we're either going to see another BTB added later with objective, or a rotation where one month it's BTB Slayer, and the next month it's BTB Objective.

Like armor abilities? You're comparing essential game abilities like jumping and melee to something non-essential like sprint. Not really the same.

Armor abilities are more like grenades - they are pickups you can have or not. Sprint is not a pickup, it's an essential action just like jumping.

Armor abilities are more like grenades - they are pickups you can have or not. Sprint is not a pickup, it's an essential action just like jumping.
I have no idea what you're talking about. What was sprint in Reach? Let's review: sprint was never in Halo 1-3, nor ODST, and it was only optional in Reach. I'm not seeing how sprint is an essential ability like jumping, where if jumping was taken out of Halo, the series would fall flat on its face. The only thing essential about sprint in 4 is the way it's being implemented, and I'm not even saying whether I agree with that approach or not. Your argument is kind of ridiculous given that sprint wasn't even in the first three halo games and many, if not a majority, would agree that the first 3 games were and still are the best in the series. Anyway, this is the dumbest thing to be arguing about, and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with it, so I'm done. We can just agree to disagree.

If all you're saying is that, in Halo4, sprint is no longer an optional armor ability, no one has ever said otherwise :/

EDIT: Is there no FUD episode today?

Seance

Banned
Guys, I just developed this awesome new 343 translator. It takes otherwise vague answers to questions and translates them into something that will satisfy you.

There's your answer guys!

Bleep Bloop
"Decoded wishy washy 343i non-answer" unlocked. 50GS.

what's funny about that?

You can't disable jumping or melee either, being able to disable sprint would go against the consistency of player actions across gametypes.

I for one am glad sprint is in for good.
But you can disable jumping. Set jump height to 0 percent. You could do it in Reach, too. We're talking about customization, and having no sprint toggle is a mistake, especially when you know people are going to want to create and play "classic" gametypes and maps.

Ryaaan14

Banned
So ok, it is confirmed I have to work on November 6th. I'd like to know what you guys think I should so as far as playing the game after I pick it up at midnight...

a.) Play through half of campaign, go to work, finish campaign (I have never played a first run Halo campaign uninterrupted)
b.) Play MP and put myself at risk for spoilers for 4-5 hours, go to work, then knock out campaign in one run

Ken

So ok, it is confirmed I have to work on November 6th. I'd like to know what you guys think I should so as far as playing the game after I pick it up at midnight...

a.) Play through half of campaign, go to work, finish campaign (I have never played a first run Halo campaign uninterrupted)
b.) Play MP and put myself at risk for spoilers for 4-5 hours, go to work, then knock out campaign in one run

Why don't you just stay off the internet for 4-5 hours in option B.

Ken

Stay off the internet in online multiplayer?

Oh I thought you meant you would play MP and then surf the internet for 4-5 hours before work lol. Couldn't you just mute everyone and turn off message alerts? I suppose you'd still run the risk of people putting spoilers in their gamertags but what are the chances you'll meet one of those people.

Pop

I suggest:
c.) Don't play at all until you have the time to finish campaign in one sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom