• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHall

I've heard jetpack is overpowered, Promethean vision is overpowered, hardlight shield is overpowered, etc. etc.

If everything is overpowered, doesn't that make them all balanced?

Just the other day everyone was so worried MLG would use Promethean vision only.

I don't mind the other AA's. I've disliked jetpack since the Reach beta. Now if it is a pickup, I don't mind it as much because only one player can use it.

An entire team spawning with jetpacks is awful.

Seance

Banned
I've heard jetpack is overpowered, Promethean vision is overpowered, hardlight shield is overpowered, etc. etc.

If everything is overpowered, doesn't that make them all balanced?

Just the other day everyone was so worried MLG would use Promethean vision only.

Except MLG has excluded it for the very reason that it is overpowered and is a detriment to the flow of gameplay.

CyReN

BTW, the issue earlier today with banning WAS in fact on our end, that is to say 343's and while none of you are technically supposed to be playing today and technically not able to even be affected by the false-bans, the vast majority simply bought the game legally and were inconvenienced for a couple of probably irritating hours. It was on us and I personally apologize. Also would like to reiterate that it had nothing to do with Xbox Live or any other games or services.

Is there any way to get into games that don't start by chance?

Caught the end of the stream, but it was pretty entertaining. Lunchbox made the Beam Rifle seem like a lot of fun.

Man, 3 more sleeps....

Lunchbox

Banned
BTW, the issue earlier today with banning WAS in fact on our end, that is to say 343's and while none of you are technically supposed to be playing today and technically not able to even be affected by the false-bans, the vast majority simply bought the game legally and were inconvenienced for a couple of probably irritating hours. It was on us and I personally apologize. Also would like to reiterate that it had nothing to do with Xbox Live or any other games or services.

bungie never wouldve done that

just sayin

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Population is too low for normal behavior and there are day one updates and tweaks. You're playing a prototype of sorts until Tuesday.

Too late. I already sent bags of poop to the Xbox Live team, my power company, and Philo Farnsworth.
Thanks for clearing that up and taking responsibility.

neoism

Nerfed into 3rd person.

yep I loved it when it was first person and was gonna use it 100% of the time... but now... never.
its funny when your a flood though you launch yourself a mile... but I've seen people miss simple regular jumps with it...other than dodging a hog or something it looks useless.
good on you for this... will everythang be reset on launch day....

>>>INCOMING TRANSMISSION<<<

Mayday. Mayday. Mayday. This is UNSC GAF two zero one Backwards Into Sunset requesting immediate input. Prizes aboard. Prioritization code victor zero five dorito three dash sierra mist one one seven.

Advise all UNSC personnel within range to assume the emergency contest submission position (pictured) and complete one or more of the following objectives:
- Use image manipulation software to establish a humorous variation of existing crew photographs.
- Subvert any official press imagery with unintended meanings.
- Use standard issue paint software to create amusingly low-fidelity iconography.
- Or just add a freaking meme caption to a Halo 4 photo.

Required submission method: Electronic mail.

Further instructions can be reviewed at the following uniform resource locator: >>>HaloGAF.com<<<

Current entry count: ZERO
Submission window closes at 1700 EST 11-04-2012.

In the event that no entries are received, prize ordnance will be dropped on unsuspecting local midnight launch attendees who probably have no idea who Sparth is and will simply assume he is a candidate for public office.

first_place.jpg

Returning to radio silence. Further contact can be made on secure channels.

>>>END TRANSMISSION<<<

orznge

Banned

It is jarring to many players because it is a high-utility, low-depth mechanic (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!). This is especially apparent when the jetpack is thrown into the mix with the increasingly sluggish player movement that the Halo series has adopted with each new title (I can't speak about Halo 4's movement because no one has answered me about whether going from strafing left/right to the opposite direction is as sluggish as Halo 2/3/Reach). As for it being overpowered, it very well may be, but that can be "solved" in part by map design that takes it into account (which I'm not sure happened since I haven't played Halo 4 yet but I certainly remember being a shithead with the stupid cliffs on the Forge world Sanctuary remake in Reach).

As I mentioned before, the jetpack seems jarring to a lot of people likely because of the contrast between it's utility and the utility of the game's other movement options. This wouldn't be so pronounced if there were other meaningful movement options present to supplement the "ground game" of running, sprinting, and jumping. The addition of a movement mechanic that could add another layer to close and mid range combat when it comes to "outmoving" another player (think simple, like UT's dodge versus the hamfisted evade AA from Reach) would make the jetpack feel much more at home.

Crosspost:

If you like to collect, and are a fan of Halo, this has been a good year. There are offerings from McFarlane, Sqaure Enix, ThreeA, Sideshow and others. I am particularly fond of the statues..

--

There is the Sideshow Halo CEA Master Chief statue:

It is limited edition of 1050 if you include both variants and costs $399

--

(FUD episode 5 spoilers)
McFarlane is offering a resin statue from Forward Unto Dawn that is 14inches tall, limited to 500 pieces and costs $225. If you haven't seen the show and plan to, do not look at the link until then as this is from a climatic scene.

To avoid spoilers I have cropped the pictures:

--

And finally, Sideshow has just begun to tease a new Halo 4 Cortana statue!

I had to skip the MC sideshow piece due to price, but I have preordered the McFarlane statue and I really think I will do the same with Cortana (depending on price and how it looks.)

I agree 100%. It's up to us to keep asking for this until we get it. Politely, but insistently. Until we get it. If enough people do it over time, 343 will eventually give us what we want.

Yup, I understand why they are hesitant, but there are ways to implement ranking that do not have the downsides of the Halo 3 system. Just make one ranked playlist, make ranks slowly deplete if you do not play and do not have a highest ranked achieved option on the stats. Boom, even if people buy accounts they will have a 50 for like a week only. Also, MM by both rank and inherent skill so deleveling does not give you an easy pass for games.

94893982.jpg

#EvilAwakens

From Dust and Echoes.

I wonder if this is going to go anywhere..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63GagyAAq04

Halo 4 is the end of the world?

It's religious. If it's against the TOS, tell me.

Wtf? :lol

Its ok, all is forgiven, but if you would like to ship me a copy of the game to make up for others getting banned feel free!

Golden Flagnum really needs to have a grenade launcher attachment on the bottom, but replaced with a giant floppy purple dildo that does 4x melee damage.

halogaf I love you guys

<3

Shuddup slut.

Just watched Part 4 of Forward Unto Dawn. Ugh, I've enjoyed the first three, but I did not like that one. Way too much slow-mo for no apparent reason, and the episode didn't consist of much (I guess that last complaint is more of a complaint is reliant on the format of the show, so it's sort of an unfair complaint).

heckfu

Banned
Played through some H3 campaign with a buddy at home, Biggy, and Barrow "Grid Lock" Roll. Had an awesome connection for hours and a great time...if Halo 4 comes close (which I hear it surpasses easily, don't fret, my expectations are sky high) I'll be so happy.

Yall, we only have a couple days to go. This is it, baby. Hold me.

orznge

Banned
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how fast you can go from strafing left/right to the opposite direction compared to the previous Halo games?

Played through some H3 campaign with a buddy at home, Biggy, and Barrow "Grid Lock" Roll. Had an awesome connection for hours and a great time...if Halo 4 comes close (which I hear it surpasses easily, don't fret, my expectations are sky high) I'll be so happy.

Yall, we only have a couple days to go. This is it, baby. Hold me.

The Campaign will blow the beard right off your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom