• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fyrewulff, have there been chatter to the Cartographers about H4 Forging / Forge involvement? Or are you expecting that'll happen in a few weeks/months?
These codes didn't stand a chance out in the open like this. :'(
Seems like almost all of them were taken by HaloGAFfers though, worked better than I expected.

Omni

That theme is pretty awesome. The white Xbox background thingy that usually takes half of the screen isn't there.

FyreWulff

Fyrewulff, have there been chatter to the Cartographers about H4 Forging / Forge involvement? Or are you expecting that'll happen in a few weeks/months?

We don't know the total outlay at this point.

Hopefully if they're going to use the CC setup, it won't take long. Bungie took a bit to get it going, and the idle period in the transition damn near killed people being eager to submit content. So I'm hoping whatever process is used, it gets going while the iron is hot.

I'm still working on a program to help auto-handle map submissions and author updates to make it less plate-spinny method of handling submissions, but I'm getting absolutely tanked by work :lol

FyreWulff

Lol
We aren't given the option to disable sprint, but blackscreens take it out of the game

Hmmmm

Probably just set up as an AA that's always equipped onto you and the sprint button triggers it. Engine tricks!

It's kind of like how you can pick up the powerups and hold onto them in Halo 3 and Reach, because of the way they're implemented into the engine.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Lol
We aren't given the option to disable sprint, but blackscreens take it out of the game

Hmmmm
What do you mean by black screen?

Also, you guys think competitive Halo with catch on again after 4 launches? I don't know much about the scene but I hear its pretty dead compared to what it used to be. Honestly, I think Halo as a competitive game is a little passed its prime.

Lots of Halo 4 Campaign talk on this weeks Weekend Confirmed. What worked, what didn't. There is one gameplay spoiler though.
We don't know the total outlay at this point.

Hopefully if they're going to use the CC setup, it won't take long. Bungie took a bit to get it going, and the idle period in the transition damn near killed people being eager to submit content. So I'm hoping whatever process is used, it gets going while the iron is hot.

I'm still working on a program to help auto-handle map submissions and author updates to make it less plate-spinny method of handling submissions, but I'm getting absolutely tanked by work :lol
Interesting, thanks Fyrewulff. Very interested to see what happens with CC and Forge maps in H4.

FyreWulff

See Fyre's post above yours. It's all implementation.

Other engine tricks:

Every fired projectile in Halo 2 cutscenes are actual guns floating in the air firing projectiles from off-screen. The shots fired at the Sentinel in the opening scene of Sacred Icon are fired by a BR off-screen, not the Phantom. The turrets in the opening scene of Delta Halo are actually modified PRs firing from slightly behind the turret from what I remember. There's an actual screenshot of the first one out there somewhere.

The Warthog's horn is actually a gun in the engine that "fires" when you press the right trigger, and they keep you from honking endlessly by making it "overheat". This is pretty clever since it just uses the same network messaging as all other guns, and since guns make sound, the networking of the sound it creates is automatically handled.

Most interactive objects that move in a MP map are vehicles. The golf balls in Halo 3 are vehicles, which is why they 'flip' when you press RB near them. The eye on Cold Storage is one too, which is also why it shows up on the radar as a yellow dot. Cameras that track you are also vehicles. There was a bug/feature in Halo 3 where they only tracked the host, though. The Cold Storage eye will always prefer the host out of all the players in the room (I think).

edit: the Cold Storage eye was a really nice touch on that map, for the record. Would like to see a map that uses it for spotlights . The creepy sound it made when it moved really sold it though.

Other engine tricks
The Warthog's horn is actually a gun in the engine that "fires" when you press the right trigger, and they keep you from honking endlessly by making it "overheat". This is pretty clever since it just uses the same network messaging as all other guns, and since guns make sound, the networking of the sound it creates is automatically handled.

Code:
WarthogHorn* wh = new Weapon(hog_honk_sound&, hog_horn_overheat, hog_horn_rof);
wh->fire("honk!");

lol.

FyreWulff

See, now if I was modding on Live, I'd just mod every single weapon to fire the warhog horn sound.

Just an entire BTB game of people honking at each other

Thruster pack looks underpowered
It is not really. People do not know how to use it yet. The TP is not an offensive AA. But after those MLG matches I think the JP is kinda op. But I do not see a real problem in MM because only a few are going to use it like that.
I feel like the GL is gonna have some competition as far as "best new gun" in a Halo game is concerned...
Railgun is much better than the Grenade Launcher.

Conor 419

Banned
Jesus, thank FUCK.

Got an e-mail last night saying 'yeah mate, we're going to dispatch THE FUCK out of Halo 4 for you, it'll arrive on November 5th, everybody's going to be there'.

And so I was like, 'cool'.

UNTIL I NOTICED THEY WERE DISPATCHING TO MY FUCKING HOME ADDRESS, FUCK.

Fortunately, customer support got back to me this morning, the game is lock stock and ready to rock my world at this address, on November 5th.

HYYYYYYPE.

Arnie

That Killionaire video is boss. That plus last nights CSR announcement have me so excited for Tuesday. Got a crap ton of work that needs doing in the mean time, though.

Seance

Banned
Jesus, thank FUCK.

Got an e-mail last night saying 'yeah mate, we're going to dispatch THE FUCK out of Halo 4 for you, it'll arrive on November 5th, everybody's going to be there'.

Fortunately, customer support got back to me this morning, the game is lock stock and ready to rock my world at this address, on November 5th.

HYYYYYYPE.

image.php

Communism
It's like trading with the guy who's about to win in Settlers of Catan. Regicide's waypoint is like the experienced player yelling at you to stop. If you're not the leader, you don't end the game, that's the natural balance that is supposed to occur in a free for all. I look forward to playing Regicide.

They should do a multiplayer skull where Steitzer just stops halfway and tells somebody else to take over. Then out of nowhere you hear an auctioneer just speed yelling.

The auction skull.

I can imagine it now.

Double kill, triple kill,overkill, overkill overkill, last chance at overkill, sold, triple kill.

IHaveIce

Banned
The auction skull.

I can imagine it now.

Double kill, triple kill,overkill, overkill overkill, last chance at overkill, sold, triple kill.

This sounds awesome, I also would love a skulls that reverses the audio, I think that would be reaaaally creepy.

And funny for multiplayer.

Jesus, thank FUCK.

HYYYYYYPE.
Man, you are such a douche.

Waaghals

Just got the LE.

Minimal non-game spoilers below:
Inside one of the large fluff manuals there is a single piece of paper.
That piece of paper contains the postgame report from one of the Infinity's in-universe War games.

In last place there is a Spartan called "Tashi" with only 3 kills...

ZalinKrow

Haven't been able to read gaf much in the last while, sounds like I've missed loads, which is actually good cause it gives me stuff to catch up on over the weekend :)

Unfortunately Hydra informed me about my bizarre mention on here yesterday, it saddens me that people nearly believed Gazzawa haha :p

ElRenoRaven

So was thinking this morning. Any other Halogaffers picking up a WII U? It would be nice when setting it up to add a few Halogaffers.

Defect

So was thinking this morning. Any other Halogaffers picking up a WII U? It would be nice when setting it up to add a few Halogaffers.

I'm getting it...if you consider me to be a Halogaffer :p

Oh and since you can't customize the infected in flood mode, someone modded it so the flood can hold other weapons besides that sword/claw.

ElRenoRaven

I'm not picky. Surely the Wii U can hold many friends. Can't possibly hold any less then the Xbox or 360 lol. I just think it would be kind of fun. More so if others buy Zombi U. It would be kind of interesting to kill friend's corpses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom