• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor 419

Banned
image.php

To be fair, it makes perfect sense that a picture of me would qualify my own posts.

@Barrow Roll

And who is that tasty piece of bitch?

I'd rather be a douche in a Halo thread than an absolute disgrace to the entirety of DNA, when it comes to my views on women.

Take a long hard look, old man.

Woorloog

Banned
Other engine tricks:

Every fired projectile in Halo 2 cutscenes are actual guns floating in the air firing projectiles from off-screen. The shots fired at the Sentinel in the opening scene of Sacred Icon are fired by a BR off-screen, not the Phantom. The turrets in the opening scene of Delta Halo are actually modified PRs firing from slightly behind the turret from what I remember. There's an actual screenshot of the first one out there somewhere.

The Warthog's horn is actually a gun in the engine that "fires" when you press the right trigger, and they keep you from honking endlessly by making it "overheat". This is pretty clever since it just uses the same network messaging as all other guns, and since guns make sound, the networking of the sound it creates is automatically handled.

Most interactive objects that move in a MP map are vehicles. The golf balls in Halo 3 are vehicles, which is why they 'flip' when you press RB near them. The eye on Cold Storage is one too, which is also why it shows up on the radar as a yellow dot. Cameras that track you are also vehicles. There was a bug/feature in Halo 3 where they only tracked the host, though. The Cold Storage eye will always prefer the host out of all the players in the room (I think).

edit: the Cold Storage eye was a really nice touch on that map, for the record. Would like to see a map that uses it for spotlights . The creepy sound it made when it moved really sold it though.

Not limited to Halo shooters AFAIK. In Halo Wars "Repairs", the Covenant Destroyer's plasma torpedos are actually mega turret projectiles, the turrets float in the air near the boundary of the map.
At least so i've read.

And the Scarab gun in Halo 2, it spawns whenever the Scarabs in the game shoot, no?

I've also heard that the shield testing station fires a Plasma Pistol Overcharge to you once you activate the shield recharge thing.

ElRenoRaven

Yep. It's the console I plan on playing Call of Duty on from now on. Pointer controls.

Sweet so that's 3 of us. We'll all have to add each other when it comes out. I've debated COD but I just can't bring myself to buy it. It's not that I hate the series. It's just that it quit being interesting to me. Last one I really enjoyed was Modern Warfare 1. I know I'm getting NSMB U and Zombi U without a doubt though. Seriously consideirng AC3 too.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Railgun is much better than the Grenade Launcher.

The grenade launcher was amazing and anyone who disagrees is either unaware you could hold down the trigger to EMP people, or just has a terrible sense of timing.

..or just hates good things generally.

Woorloog

Banned
The grenade launcher was amazing and anyone who disagrees is either unaware you could hold down the trigger to EMP people, or just has a terrible sense of timing.

..or just hates good things generally.

Yes... My friend didn't like the GL at first. Then i told him how it should be used.
And now, well, when we still played Reach, we always competed who would get the GL...

I'm sure the Railgun and Sticky Detonator will be fun but it won't be what the 'nade Launcher was.

Conor 419

Banned
I'm not picky. Surely the Wii U can hold many friends. Can't possibly hold any less then the Xbox or 360 lol. I just think it would be kind of fun. More so if others buy Zombi U. It would be kind of interesting to kill friend's corpses.

I am certainly very interested in one. Do you like Monster Hunter? I'm looking to assemble a crack team when that comes out.

ElRenoRaven

I am certainly very interested in one. Do you like Monster Hunter? I'm looking to assemble a crack team when that comes out.

Nope. Never been a fan of Monster Hunter. Pretty much everything else I can play but games like that just don't interest me at all.

What? There are a ton who feel that pointer controls allow them to be as accurate or more accurate then mouse and Keyboard. I myself hate the nunchuck pointer control stuff but to each their own I say.

Conor 419

Banned
Nope. Never been a fan of Monster Hunter. Pretty much everything else I can play but games like that just don't interest me at all.

What? There are a ton who feel that pointer controls allow them to be as accurate or more accurate then mouse and Keyboard. I myself hate the nunchuck pointer control stuff but to each their own I say.

Fair,

I'll let you know if I get one anyway, I see myself getting BLOPS on Wii U.

Fuchsdh

Other engine tricks:

Every fired projectile in Halo 2 cutscenes are actual guns floating in the air firing projectiles from off-screen. The shots fired at the Sentinel in the opening scene of Sacred Icon are fired by a BR off-screen, not the Phantom. The turrets in the opening scene of Delta Halo are actually modified PRs firing from slightly behind the turret from what I remember. There's an actual screenshot of the first one out there somewhere.

The Warthog's horn is actually a gun in the engine that "fires" when you press the right trigger, and they keep you from honking endlessly by making it "overheat". This is pretty clever since it just uses the same network messaging as all other guns, and since guns make sound, the networking of the sound it creates is automatically handled.

Most interactive objects that move in a MP map are vehicles. The golf balls in Halo 3 are vehicles, which is why they 'flip' when you press RB near them. The eye on Cold Storage is one too, which is also why it shows up on the radar as a yellow dot. Cameras that track you are also vehicles. There was a bug/feature in Halo 3 where they only tracked the host, though. The Cold Storage eye will always prefer the host out of all the players in the room (I think).

edit: the Cold Storage eye was a really nice touch on that map, for the record. Would like to see a map that uses it for spotlights . The creepy sound it made when it moved really sold it though.

I no longer play "343 Guilty Spark" properly. Instead I climb on the Pelican to get to the top ridge and circle around to the bunker entrance, so I can drop down and see all the floating assault rifles scaring the Covenant. No wonder they ran... UNSC ghosts!

Also, I've been meaning to see if you can get close to the Flood they spawn in on the ridge and in the forest below you when you cross the fallen tree. Has anyone ever managed to kill these guys, or are they invulnerable until they despawn? Probably a lot easier to figure out with Anniversary, since the distance fog is less oppressive.

I come to HaloGAF to get away from Nintendo. Can't believe people are buying launch Wii Us. Nintendo lost my launch day buys with the Wii (and if I could go back, I wouldn't even buy the Wii).

Conor 419

Banned
I come to HaloGAF to get away from Nintendo. Can't believe people are buying launch Wii Us. Nintendo lost my launch day buys with the Wii (and if I could go back, I wouldn't even buy the Wii).

Not bothered, Nintendo still produce the best games in the industry to this date. It is more than arguable that the best handheld and console games of this year are Nintendo games.

I also find it amusing that a huge Halo fan wouldn't like Nintendo. The reason I like Halo so much is that it feels like an FPS Nintendo would make.

Fuchsdh

Not bothered, Nintendo still produce the best games in the industry to this date. It is more than arguable that the best handheld and console games of this year are Nintendo games.

I got turned off a third of the way through Twilight Princess and Brawl.

There's so many good games out there, I can be bothered that I haven't played the latest iteration of Nintendo's big franchises. I've still got the old games to burn through when I feel the itch.

Conor 419

Banned
I got turned off a third of the way through Brawl.

There's so many good games out there, I can be bothered that I haven't played the latest iteration of Nintendo's big franchises. I've still got the old games to burn through when I feel the itch.

...?
...???

To be fair, it makes perfect sense that a picture of me would qualify my own posts.

@Barrow Roll

I'd rather be a douche in a Halo thread than an absolute disgrace to the entirety of DNA, when it comes to my views on women.

Take a long hard look, old man.
You actually looked through my post history, picked out something all the way back from July and are trying to base my "views on women" off of a quote from a cartoon?

Wow.

I got turned off a third of the way through Twilight Princess and Brawl.

I thoroughly enjoyed twilight princess. But I know its not for everyone. Liked nsmb better than smg1 and 2 put together.

Fuchsdh

I thoroughly enjoyed twilight princess. But I know its not for everyone. Liked nsmb better than smg1 and 2 put together.

I freely admit part of the reason is that I didn't have a console as a kid, and so was raised on the handheld 2D Zeldas, which I still prefer. Links' Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons with a link cable and a brother with the other game was tons of fun.

Conor 419

Banned
Gonna be honest, kind of surprised at the 89 on metacritic.

Well, it's a new studio who were just trying to establish themselves more than anything. I'll forgive the review scores, even if they do represent a new low for the series. I'm trying to look at Halo 4 as Mass Effect 1, a start to the new trilogy which is solid with flaws, rather than a game which is quite simply, fucking bad.

If in the long run, the game doesn't stack up even against Reach, AND if Halo 5 recieves similar scores, then that's when the series is in trouble.

Fuchsdh

Hype is a hell of a drug

Metacritic is laughable imo

Ultimately any sort of critic aggregate beyond a "did they like it/did they not" system like Rotten Tomatoes is bound to fail. A 4/5 doesn't really equal an 8/10, and Metacritic's assumptions on adding a number to reviews without one are almost universally bad, along with their schema of rating. It's a garbage statistic that I'm sad Wikipedia still uses along with Game Rankings for anything.

Fuchsdh

Halo 1 has a 97.
Metacritic is accurate.

I'd love to see a chart of franchise scores over time. I'd be willing to be most follow a "top game is first game", then a slump until final game of the series-type thing. People want something new and different except they dont.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's a new studio who were just trying to establish themselves more than anything. I'll forgive the review scores, even if they do represent a new low for the series. I'm trying to look at Halo 4 as Mass Effect 1, a start to the new trilogy which is solid with flaws, rather than a game which is quite simply, fucking bad.

If in the long run, the game doesn't stack up even against Reach, AND if Halo 5 recieves similar scores, then that's when the series is in trouble.

That's exactly how I'd describe Mass Effect unfortunately. The first was solid with flaws, the sequels got worse, and the games that came beforehand (Knights of the Old Republic) had much more going for them.

Who said that I am hating the GL? Did you use the Railgun already?

I have eyes and an Internet connection, nearest best thing. Better than the grenade launcher? No.

willow ve

You should read the guys post in the halo review thread if you'd like a long laugh this morning....

Not sure what's so funny about that post. He actually has some good points and is rather logical in the way he argues them. I don't personally think iron sights needs to be implemented in Halo, but that was really the only point where I would flat out refute his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom