• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, I do think the jetpacks add "flow" on maps like Adrift though. Watching the pros hop from platform to platform without missing a step was great. The game flowed so well on that map specifically.

We'll see I guess.

JHall

It's not as bad as Reach's, I'll give it that; but it still clearly screws with map design. It's serving its purpose, but it appears fundamentally flawed. The annoying "jetpack over everything and rain down hellfire" is still there as well.

Also, is the DMR OP, or are people just using it since they're used to Reach?

The DMR is the hardest to use of all the utility weapons, so the trade off is it kills the quickest.

The jetpack is fundamentally flawed, it needs to be a pickup on the map.

It's not as bad as Reach's, I'll give it that; but it still clearly screws with map design. It's serving its purpose, but it appears fundamentally flawed. The annoying "jetpack over everything and rain down hellfire" is still there as well.

Also, is the DMR OP, or are people just using it since they're used to Reach?

I remember Snipedown using the Light Rifle a couple of times last night, but other than that nobody has touched anything but the DMR. I think it's a combination of the DMR being the best and people being used to it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Buuuuuut, notice how. You don't have anyone going full retard and flying up to the top of the map and floating. They are using it for longer jumps and level hopping, which it always should have been used for.

Then again these are good players, we'll see what the general population does.
The entire reason why it's broken is because people can just fly where ever the fuck they want. Just look at how the jetpack affects Haven. You can jetpack from pretty much everywhere to the middle, you can jetpack up the hallway drop-downs, you can just fly up and kill people behind cover, all that kind of stuff. People flying straight up in the air and floating there was the least of the jetpack's problems.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The DMR is the hardest to use of all the utility weapons, so the trade off is it kills the quickest.

The jetpack is fundamentally flawed, it needs to be a pickup on the map.
I wonder how the aim assist on the DMR is compared to the other precision weapons.

Either way, I can't wait to dong with that thing. Lightrifle looks interesting, too. Dat scoped in 4sk.
The entire reason why it's broken is because people can just fly where ever the fuck they want. Just look at how the jetpack affects Haven. You can jetpack from pretty much everywhere to the middle, you can jetpack up the hallway drop-downs, you can just fly up and kill people behind cover, all that kind of stuff. People flying straight up in the air and floating there was the least of the jetpack's problems.
Completely agree. Jetpack circumvents map layout. Why bother learning jumps when I can press a button and fly over that shit?

ICompletely agree. Jetpack circumvents map layout. Why bother learning jumps when I can press a button and fly over that shit?

But if you pick jetpack, you won't have another AA. See, it's perfectly balanced!

Oh, no personal ordnance in objective gametypes. Every two minutes the powers weapons drop, I believe.

Heh, not talking about that either :p I was talking about the weapon spawning system in Halo 4 where a random weapon spawns at a semi-random location after ''a certain time''. It looked like the locations and the times in MLG were static which would be really awesome. That's how it should be.

JHall

I wonder how the aim assist on the DMR is compared to the other precision weapons.

Either way, I can't wait to dong with that thing. Lightrifle looks interesting, too. Dat scoped in 4sk.

Completely agree. Jetpack circumvents map layout. Why bother learning jumps when I can press a button and fly over that shit?

My friends that have the game say it has the lowest aim assist of all the utility weapons.

Snip3down was playing well with the LightRifle last night when he picked it up; I'm excited to use that weapon.

TheOddOne

Not for me. The only strange thing is my career milestones and Halo achievements aren't showing up.
I see this:

jss3V9JdTMvVE.png

The Didact glitch thing happens when you first go to the page too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yeah, i know these are the pros, but jetpack looks basically as bad as reach - as far as map movement goes.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My friends that have the game say it has the lowest aim assist of all the utility weapons.

Snip3down was playing well with the LightRifle last night when he picked it up; I'm excited to use that weapon.

Very interesting. I'll have the BR first (because of that Gamestop BR skin), but I'm definitely going to use the DMR when I can unlock it.

Lightrifle would appear to be the go-to weapon in BTB, mainly due to it's scoped-in capablities. As for the carbine, it looks completely useless lol. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Same, especially since it seems to be the best of both worlds.

Halo 4- "No Iron Sights, Too many open environments, Not enough explosions"

mOHoB.png

Got a triple kill in one shot with the Railgun :3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZjPE4BjvU I just wish it had more shots in it.
So good... Im gonna like that weapon.

quote for codes. This is the theme from the second round of Gamestop's preoder voting, for the record

http://www.halo4vote.com/

Damn, Im never on for the freebies haha.

Other engine tricks:

Every fired projectile in Halo 2 cutscenes are actual guns floating in the air firing projectiles from off-screen. The shots fired at the Sentinel in the opening scene of Sacred Icon are fired by a BR off-screen, not the Phantom. The turrets in the opening scene of Delta Halo are actually modified PRs firing from slightly behind the turret from what I remember. There's an actual screenshot of the first one out there somewhere.

The Warthog's horn is actually a gun in the engine that "fires" when you press the right trigger, and they keep you from honking endlessly by making it "overheat". This is pretty clever since it just uses the same network messaging as all other guns, and since guns make sound, the networking of the sound it creates is automatically handled.

Most interactive objects that move in a MP map are vehicles. The golf balls in Halo 3 are vehicles, which is why they 'flip' when you press RB near them. The eye on Cold Storage is one too, which is also why it shows up on the radar as a yellow dot. Cameras that track you are also vehicles. There was a bug/feature in Halo 3 where they only tracked the host, though. The Cold Storage eye will always prefer the host out of all the players in the room (I think).

edit: the Cold Storage eye was a really nice touch on that map, for the record. Would like to see a map that uses it for spotlights . The creepy sound it made when it moved really sold it though.

I never knew any of those, thats pretty interesting.

Reposted for HaloGAF Thread. "Killionaire"
So Good

My god. Its amazing. Was that from the MLG stream?

Fuchsdh

Very interesting. I'll have the BR first (because of that Gamestop BR skin), but I'm definitely going to use the DMR when I can unlock it.

Lightrifle would appear to be the go-to weapon in BTB, mainly due to it's scoped-in capablities. As for the carbine, it looks completely useless lol. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Forget utility. Carbine is carbine. I'll be rocking it no matter what :)

Not sure what's so funny about that post. He actually has some good points and is rather logical in the way he argues them. I don't personally think iron sights needs to be implemented in Halo, but that was really the only point where I would flat out refute his opinion.

One of his complaints is that Halo 4 (a scifi futuristic shooter based around a cyborg with neural implants for a HUD, fighting tons of alien enemies that worshiped ancient structures built by other aliens designed to eradicate yet another type of parasitic alien...I could go on) needs to be more realistic and easy. He can fuck off.

FyreWulff

[notrelatedtohalosscores]Metacritic is one of the worst things to happen to the games industry. It took everything people hated about the 10 point scale and amplified it to the point that it shows up in contracts with unrealistic goals so publishers have even more bullshit poison pills to add.[/stillnotrelated]

Damn, Im never on for the freebies haha.

I'll PM you one in a bit

I'd love to see a chart of franchise scores over time. I'd be willing to be most follow a "top game is first game", then a slump until final game of the series-type thing. People want something new and different except they dont.
They typically trend downwards. Halo is a perfect example, from high to low on metacritic scores: Halo CE, H2, H3, H4.
Lol. Planned title updates. Aren't title updates usually in response to game mechanics being bad?
Not necessarily, they always were for Bungie, but some other developers have added features through TU's. It looks like 343 plans to do that.
Are the weapon spawns in MLG static right now?

No, they are using Global Ordnance Drops.

U4ix just said wolf pack on the MLG stream.

After watching this MLG stream I'm starting to think I might actually go with the DMR. Maybe I just feel more comfortable with it after 2 years of Reach.

m23

Two more sleeps than midnight launch event, so hyped. You gaffers with early copies are making the wait so hard, especially you guys in Toronto. I feel like going out and buying a copy at the flea market but I already have an LE paid full. Monday at work is going to be the longest day ever.

Fuchsdh

Damn, that's ridiculous.

mlglol 80876

Mlgstarcrafta 19205

mlg_halo_4 7491

Looks like Valve missed its chance to take the Action RTS mantle with DotA 2 by a good 18 months.

LD2k

Neo Member
I have to admit, U4ixx and Bravo are great together. Couldn't tune in yesterday since I was traveling, but I'm loving them together on the MLG stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom