• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, that's ridiculous.

mlglol 80876

Mlgstarcrafta 19205

mlg_halo_4 7491

Looks like Valve missed its chance to take the Action RTS mantle with DotA 2 by a good 18 months.

These numbers are quite encouraging for the Halo stream too. This is still early in the day in the US and they've got a fair bit of people.

EDIT: "It's not over?" "No, it's to 5 noob!"

kylej

Banned
man I would really be pushing my bachelor pad/man cave status to the max if I bought that big ass Cortana statue. looks cool though

wwm0nkey

Care to explain?

What exactly does resupply do?

Edit: hah, just got the medal "magic hands" for holding the ball for 50 seconds.

343 definitely put some time into making awesome medals.

You can only pick up grenades off of dead bodies with it. Most people start with regular grenades so starting with plasma and getting resupply gives you a decent amount of grenades.

Also I HIGHLY suggest getting regen field so you can instantly charge your shields after a battle (don't stand in it, only use it to start the charge)

eeblogue

Neo Member
Damn, that's ridiculous.

mlglol 80876

Mlgstarcrafta 19205

mlg_halo_4 7491

Looks like Valve missed its chance to take the Action RTS mantle with DotA 2 by a good 18 months.

Hardly, Dota 2 is currently still in beta and is not free to play yet. The original Dota is still the most played game in the world. Dota 2 or any other ARTS currently cannot be played at MLG because of the exclusivity deal MLG signed with Riot.

Dat Light Rifle gameplay...

SajCn.gif

Also, Ninja gives a pretty good interview: http://www.gamespot.com/halo-4/videos/tsquared-catches-up-with-ninja-after-his-ffa-win-6399439/

EDIT: now 9500 viewers on the twitch stream.

Fuchsdh

Hardly, Dota 2 is currently still in beta and is not free to play yet. The original Dota is still the most played game in the world. Dota 2 or any other ARTS currently cannot be played at MLG because of the exclusivity deal MLG signed with Riot.

If I play any Action RTS it'll be DotA 2 because I'm still playing TFT DotA and I don't even want to deal with trying to learn any new crud. But Two years ago, the entire ARTS field was wide open. You had Demigod, Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, and a bunch of other smaller titles. But LoL has dominated high-end competitive play--aside from Valve's own international titles I haven't heard much about it. The first-mover advantage and momentum are clearly on their side.

FyreWulff

Yeah will only be on Waypoint.

Yeah, but they also mentioned you can view it for all playlists.. which mostly works if they just show it to you on Waypoint.

Personally prefer it there. Always wish I had the option to hide ranks in Halo 3, now you can stay blissfully unaware or check it online.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What i have learned from having two MLG streams running at the same time is that its possible to be running two shitty streams simultaneously.

orznge

Banned
look at this quote everyone

This is a really important point. Halo was one of the very first cinematic single player/co-op FPS. Everyone got sucked into Halo before it even had online play (Multi in Halo 1 was glorious, but you're kidding yourself if you think anyone that didn't live in a dorm played more than 4 player with any regularity).

At the end of the day, the single player is what made Halo into a popular enough game to turn into the multiplayer juggernaut it is now. Also the fact that Halo 2 had amazing console multi when nothing else even came close.

lol

Yeah, but they also mentioned you can view it for all playlists.. which mostly works if they just show it to you on Waypoint.

Personally prefer it there. Always wish I had the option to hide ranks in Halo 3, now you can stay blissfully unaware or check it online.

I know that the people that REALLY love ranks will be upset about it, but the majority of players just don't give a shit about ranks, so I see why they are going with Waypoint only.

lol

LOL

Played so much 16 player CE in the day.

(I guess I was like 12 when Halo came out, so getting together with a bunch of guys to play with 4 Xbox's was what we did back then.)

heckfu

Banned

lol

Yeah I was still in high school with Halo 1. We carried our boxes to friends houses on weekends pretty often to jam on 8-16 player multi...but I would have to say that mostly it would be dorm kids. Just makes sense.

orznge

Banned
I know that the people that REALLY love ranks will be upset about it, but the majority of players just don't give a shit about ranks, so I see why they are going with Waypoint only.

I don't see why they're going with Waypoint only. Why cripple a feature for the players that want it, especially considering the bragging 343 has done about being able to modify the game post-launch?

Ramirez

Yeah I was still in high school with Halo 1. We carried our boxes to friends houses on weekends pretty often to jam on 8-16 player multi...but I would have to say that mostly it would be dorm kids. Just makes sense.

I would have thought you were too busy banging chicks all day in HS to be carrying OG Xboxen down the street.

orznge

Banned

yeah same here, I guess I'm just assuming that's what everyone did

I don't see why they're going with Waypoint only. Why cripple a feature for the players that want it, especially considering the bragging 343 has done about being able to modify the game post-launch?

Because the majority of the player base doesn't want "ranked" playlists (look at any trends of ranked vs. unranked playlist population in not just Halo, but just about any game). This way, all the playlists can be "ranked" for those that want to look it up, and the majority that don't want that or don't care aren't bothered by it.

Personally, I'd prefer if the ranks were in the game, but I see why they are doing it the way they are.

I would have thought you were too busy banging chicks all day in HS to be carrying OG Xboxen down the street.

I laughed.

This Halo 4 ad they keep showing in the MLG stream (and I've seen it several other places) would be nice if they threw a few lines of dialogue in there.

FyreWulff

It allows every playlist to be ranked and unranked simultaneously and occupy the same space.

343 has mastered quantum playlist management.

orznge

Banned
It allows every playlist to be ranked and unranked simultaneously and occupy the same space.

yeah but I want to have a cool thing next to my name to brag about that makes people play worse if they have a worse thing next to their name

Akai__

Halo 4 is fantastic. Seemed a little bit too easy on Heroic co-op. I think it wasn't adjusted for co-op, might be wrong.

Now jumping into War Games. Don't know what to play. :/

But it hinders the players who sometimes want to play the same playlist competitively and sometimes socially. For example, if CTF was a playlist with ranks, I'd love to play it competitively, but I'd also like to play it with friends who don't necessarily want to play ranked. If I don't want to lose my rank in CTF, I won't be able to play it socially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom