• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can now say that I hate Join in Progress and be able to back it up. I’ve been matched up with people and gone into a voting screen like classic Halo maybe ten or fifteen times out of thirtyish games. The rest have all been JIP games, and most of them have been in situations where one team was dramatically outscoring the team I was joining. I joined a BTB IS game where the score was 700-250. They had thirty kills left until the end of the game and were 45 kills ahead of my team. They were a full party, with matching emblems and clan tags. I was a random on a team of randoms. There was no way I was going to stay in there after the match was over to get a fresh match with a voting screen, because it would just result in me being put with a bunch of people who very obviously couldn’t keep up with the enemy team. Welcome to Join in Progress if you don’t have a team to play with. There is no toggle for JIP when searching that I could find.

Note to self: Don't play Halo 4 MP alone, ever

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can now say that I hate Join in Progress and be able to back it up. I’ve been matched up with people and gone into a voting screen like classic Halo maybe ten or fifteen times out of thirtyish games. The rest have all been JIP games, and most of them have been in situations where one team was dramatically outscoring the team I was joining. I joined a BTB IS game where the score was 700-250. They had thirty kills left until the end of the game and were 45 kills ahead of my team. They were a full party, with matching emblems and clan tags. I was a random on a team of randoms. There was no way I was going to stay in there after the match was over to get a fresh match with a voting screen, because it would just result in me being put with a bunch of people who very obviously couldn’t keep up with the enemy team. Welcome to Join in Progress if you don’t have a team to play with. There is no toggle for JIP when searching that I could find.

Hopefully a bigger population fixes this.

There needs to be an emphasis on keeping "random" people away from stacked teams.

Seance

Banned

Stacked teams in social will be as big a problem as in Reach because of no ranked playlists.

:(

kylej

Banned
guys calm down, JIP will be perfect once the HIdden Trueskill builds up and it launches you into close games. Game just launched, give Trueskill time to work out the kinks pls

saw and went into a Microsoft store for the first time when I went out to dinner tonight. was pretty impressive. was more pleasing to be in than the Apple store. There was a giant wrap around bar of monitors filled with Halo 4 stuff that was cool
I don't think I've even seen a Microsoft store before. Just did a search and there is one one in Tulsa and one in Oklahoma City. The one in OKC is on the north side of town though and I have no motivation to drive up there.

EDIT:
Hopefully a bigger population fixes this.

There needs to be an emphasis on keeping "random" people away from stacked teams.
This has been my biggest wish for Halo. Need a solo players only playlist that avoids the problem of stacked teams. Boo.

kylej

Banned
Microsoft have the leading scientists in the world building algorithms to make close games there is no reason to doubt them please stop the negativity. btw have people commenting on this even played the game? please don't comment until you've played the game I was able to watch a trailer of halo 4 in a toys r us and I can tell you from my experience join in progress works perfectly

"the incredibly high-resolution skyboxes and vast 3D backdrops with amazing draw distance that past Halos have done so well are almost entirely gone. They have, unfortunately, been replaced with relatively low-resolution 2D skyboxes. I spend a lot of time in Halo games zooming in with an assault rifle and staring into the distance. This now results in an obviously compressed jpeg appearing in my view"

"Promethean Vision is not useless because of the inclusion of the radar. Promethean Vision is ridiculously powerful. You can see from end to end on Haven with it, easily. You can see the enemy team spawning on their end of Solace from your base with it. I’ll get into this when I talk about my time in CTF, but PV is essential for at least one member of each team. And I abuse it readily while simultaneously being disdainful of its existence."

"I had no idea what was spawning when or where, and it was frustrating. The initial ordnance spots do not necessarily seem to dictate where future ordnance will spawn, so a Railgun may appear below my team’s snipe ledge on Solace, or a totally different weapon might spawn on their side in a totally different location."

" Dominion, as it escalates, basically becomes Heavies, or the third phase of Invasion. "

"Stealth in CTF is dead"

Some standout points...

Risen

Microsoft have the leading scientists in the world building algorithms to make close games there is no reason to doubt them please stop the negativity. btw have people commenting on this even played the game? please don't comment until you've played the game I was able to watch a trailer of halo 4 in a toys r us and I can tell you from my experience join in progress works perfectly

quit tickling my funny bone... I may pee due to incontinence. ty.

Havok

If you focus on the negative points that I wrote, some of them deliberately sensationally, then yeah, it's going to read more negatively than if you take it as a whole (y'know, including the parts that I praise it). You're free to read it that way, but as the writer of those bits, I still think it is a great game. I can look past a lot of blemishes when the mechanics are as good as they are.

Havok, what have you done
I think I might have been a Team SLRP sleeper agent.

sp3000

ibqLiRhSxHXHyn.gif

kylej

Banned
"the incredibly high-resolution skyboxes and vast 3D backdrops with amazing draw distance that past Halos have done so well are almost entirely gone. They have, unfortunately, been replaced with relatively low-resolution 2D skyboxes. I spend a lot of time in Halo games zooming in with an assault rifle and staring into the distance. This now results in an obviously compressed jpeg appearing in my view"

"Promethean Vision is not useless because of the inclusion of the radar. Promethean Vision is ridiculously powerful. You can see from end to end on Haven with it, easily. You can see the enemy team spawning on their end of Solace from your base with it. I’ll get into this when I talk about my time in CTF, but PV is essential for at least one member of each team. And I abuse it readily while simultaneously being disdainful of its existence."

"I had no idea what was spawning when or where, and it was frustrating. The initial ordnance spots do not necessarily seem to dictate where future ordnance will spawn, so a Railgun may appear below my team’s snipe ledge on Solace, or a totally different weapon might spawn on their side in a totally different location."

" Dominion, as it escalates, basically becomes Heavies, or the third phase of Invasion. "

"Stealth in CTF is dead"

Some standout points...

tohxR.png

Lingitiz

"Stealth in CTF is dead"

Some standout points...

Well there goes my hype.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
All I needed to know.

They've been clear from day one that that this is a heavily modified engine based around prior Halo engines.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-gets-the-most-out-of-the-7-year-old-xbox-360

It must be a nightmare to code for complex AI over online for 4 people simultaneously.

343 has like 300 employees and what looks like a blank check. I'm sorry, but this is the year 2012 and they need to figure this shit out. Whatever the reason, the coop experience in these games simply doesn't match up to other titles in the market.

Campaign and SpOps solo for me on launch day I guess. Or maybe I can force host on myself. Ice skating across a football field on the moon isn't my idea of a good time. So disappointed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
343 has like 300 employees and what looks like a blank check. I'm sorry, but this is the year 2012 and they need to figure this shit out. Whatever the reason, the coop experience in these games simply doesn't match up to other titles in the market.

Campaign and SpOps solo for me on launch day I guess. Ice skating across a football field on the moon isn't my idea of a good time. So disappointed.

We've had conflicting reports. I wouldn't jump off that cliff just yet.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

From the beginning I knew the end!

At the very least the enemy team will refill with more players to dong on.

I think we may look back one day and realize Reach really wasn't that bad of a game after all.

Not seen in video: Armor Lock, Bloom failure, Jetpack heroes, Active Camo snipers, AR Starts, shit playlist management, Invasion, Arena, the cannibalization of BTB, the continued disappointment of team Objective, vehicles suddenly exploding while you still had half shields up, Banshee 30-kill rampage, shit launch maps, Uncaged, Cragmire, a million and one grey Forge variants, the worst movement in the series, the worst jump height in the series, nuclear detonation from grenades, Oddball Swordbase, LOLTrueSkill matching, and any DLC maps(because nobody played them after the first two weeks).

Reach is bad, and will always be bad.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Some bad news: coop netcode is still awful. I wasn’t lucky enough to be chosen as host, so I was instead bestowed with a full second of input lag.

Welp, single player Spartan Ops it is, then :/
Here's hoping it's due to the small player base, otherwise, I will have to pull up Frankie's comment on the netcode.

Why no dedi's!?
You get the 5x helmet zoom that way!
Guy spends a lot of time staring at the sky instead of living life, doesn't like the clouds today.

Risen

Pshhhhh

I love Reach. It has been good to me.

I know you love it lol... and MLG is certainly the only very playable version of the game... but I don't know how anyone looks at the default Reach, even after the last title update and calls it a "good" Halo. I had fun playing it at times - but that had more to do with the people I play with than the game itself.

Poorly implemented game mechanics from top to bottom...

The only things it had going for it was the unique requirement among shooters today in regards to team play and the netcode. It still really enforced the importance of team play in comparison to other shooters today, and even on off connections the game was playable online... beyond that, it was worse than previous Halo titles in most ways from a game play perspective.

Maps, player traits, ability implementation, and bloom, all combine for a lesser Halo experience than previous entries, for me anyway.

Not seen in video: Armor Lock, Bloom failure, Jetpack heroes, Active Camo snipers, AR Starts, shit playlist management, Invasion, Arena, the cannibalization of BTB, the continued disappointment of team Objective, vehicles suddenly exploding while you still had half shields up, Banshee 30-kill rampage, shit launch maps, Uncaged, Cragmire, a million and one grey Forge variants, the worst movement in the series, the worst jump height in the series, nuclear detonation from grenades, Oddball Swordbase, LOLTrueSkill matching, and any DLC maps(because nobody played them after the first two weeks).

Bolded: All seen in video... (specifically a bunch of clips of me with jetpack).

Not your best post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom