• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not seen in video: Armor Lock, Bloom failure, Jetpack heroes, Active Camo snipers, AR Starts, shit playlist management, Invasion, Arena, the cannibalization of BTB, the continued disappointment of team Objective, vehicles suddenly exploding while you still had half shields up, Banshee 30-kill rampage, shit launch maps, Uncaged, Cragmire, a million and one grey Forge variants, the worst movement in the series, the worst jump height in the series, nuclear detonation from grenades, Oddball Swordbase, LOLTrueSkill matching, and any DLC maps(because nobody played them after the first two weeks).

Reach is bad, and will always be bad.

And despite all that, it was still possible to have quite a bit of fun in Reach.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying it was the best game ever, everything Viewtiful says here is true and sucks hard. I'm just saying it was still fun in spite of all that.

Pop

Day 1 patch.

Havok just made H4 sound awful.

But we knew going in that this halo was completely different. JIP is a neat feature, if you join in on a beatdown then just leave before you actually start playing. Solves that problem.

CTF wasn't going to be stealthy anymore that was obvious. And should people really be staring out into the far distance while in MM. Maps look great and from what I can tell everyone says MM has been consistent in framerate. IDK, I'm not too worried, H4 looks great.

neoism

I wrote up some impressions of Halo 4. I would have posted it here but it's just over 3400 words long. I don't know why. I talk a lot. Please forgive typos. It is long.

It's a good video game.

lol its seems to me that if the specializations being 10 levels dont take the equivalent
of 1-50 everyone will be max rank in months....I definitely hated the looong leveling in reach but 9 hours for Sr25 :/

Havok

Day 1 patch.

Havok just made H4 sound awful.

But we knew going in that this halo was completely different. JIP is a neat feature, if you join in on a beatdown then just leave before you actually start playing. Solves that problem.

CTF wasn't going to be stealthy anymore that was obvious. And should people really be staring out into the far distance while in MM. Maps look great and from what I can tell everyone says MM has been consistent in framerate. IDK, I'm not too worried, H4 looks great.
A) Despite those times I say "Halo 4 is a great game" and praise its mechanics and core gameplay? Despite saying to take the multiplayer impressions with a grain of salt because I was playing solo in a prerelease environment?
B) That is not a solution, it's a bandaid.
C) When talking about the skybox thing I was almost entirely referring to the campaign. I wasn't very clear on that, so that's my bad.

I thought I was relatively positive about the game. I like it a great deal. Take the piece as a whole. The negatives are just one side of the coin, and the sides are not equally weighted.
The negatives took up 3/4 of that article. You gave a lot of details on what was bad, but no details on what was good other than "I think H4 is good." This does not bode well.
You must have missed most of the section on the campaign gameplay, or how much fun the game is despite the small issues I take with portions of it. Should I have had a section on what makes the movement and shooting fantastic? How do you describe what makes that kind of thing good without resorting to worthless adjectives like "punchy,", the FPS equivalent of the shitty tech buzzword, "snappy." I'm not misrepresenting my own opinion here, I promise. The problems I had, that I enumerated, are largely disparate structural elements that can be adjusted. The core gameplay, which is dramatically more important, needs no defense. If I wasn't fully clear, the part where you shoot internet cyborg men, which you'll be doing 95% of the time in this game, is great. How much more explanation do you require?

Structure and features are something that haven't been touched on much. I thought I'd rectify that.

A) Despite those times I say "Halo 4 is a great game" and praise its mechanics and core gameplay? Despite saying to take the multiplayer impressions with a grain of salt because I was playing solo in a prerelease environment?
B) That is not a solution, it's a bandaid.
C) When talking about the skybox thing I was almost entirely referring to the campaign. I wasn't very clear on that, so that's my bad.

I thought I was relatively positive about the game. I like it a great deal. Take it as a whole. The negatives are just one side of the coin.

The negatives took up 3/4 of that article. You gave a lot of details on what was bad, but no details on what was good other than "I think H4 is good." This does not bode well.

I think the negative stands out more because A) it feels more detailed than the positive stuff was and B) we already know most of the positives from other impressions and reviews. Aint nobody said anything about Join-in-Progress or Spartan Ops netcode, so this is new (sucky) info.

Not very many people have been speaking about negatives that aren't things like "iron sights" and "scripted moments" though. So that's probably why Havok mentioned so many.

Karl2177

As a metaphor, when you care about someone, it's so much easier to point out things that annoy you than it is to point out the one thing that makes them special.

As a metaphor, when you care about someone, it's so much easier to point out things that annoy you than it is to point out the one thing that makes them special.

Granted, but he still can't really say that it was overall a positive review when the vast majority of it was negative.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do we have any other SpOps reports? Didn't Gabo or Gui (can't remember who it was) say SpOps worked much better with no lag earlier tonight?

Anyone else have the game to test it out quick?

malfcn

Why are Halo chips so hard to find? I have seen them at one Walmart. And now me and a friend have checked out 3 other locations and they are no where.

MrDaravon

This sounds like how JIP works in CoD, or any other multiplayer shooter I've played for better and worse. In theory it shouldn't be as bad once the general populace has the game, but I can't emphasize this enough for people who maybe haven't played a game that has this: if you JIP into a game and your team is getting rocked, your best bet is usually to stick it out.

Ignoring any quitting penalties that they have in this one (I actually have no idea, are they doing quit bans again), sticking it out winds up being the best option 90% of the time. Even if you get completely destroyed for that game, post game what's going to happen is half of the people in the game are going to leave, plus usually some team re-distribution happens. Speaking from a lot of experience in CoD where this is common, constantly just re-quitting out every time you get put into a "bad" match will usually just keep putting you in similar matches. Probably the only exception I ever make is if the entire enemy team is solidified clan or group, as it sounds like what happened to Havok. That will probably be much rarer after public release (outside of Hardcore playlists I see it very rarely in CoD), and even aside from that your odds of getting put into a fresh match against that team are just as good anyway.

Besides all that, I realllllly need to hear more impressions about netcode. I've said it before, but Campaign and Firefight were nearly unplayable if I was playing with friends in Canada or UK/Europe. If Spartan Ops is the same here that's going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Do we have any other SpOps reports? Didn't Gabo or Gui (can't remember who it was) say SpOps worked much better with no lag earlier tonight?

ibmmfjkaNprtVO.gif

There are some knee jerk reactions in here. I've joined some existing nightmare games so far. If it looks like I can help, I stay. If it is awful, I've left. There is no penalty for leaving a game.

MrDaravon

I've joined some existing nightmare games so far. If it looks like I can help, I stay. If it is awful, I've left. There is no penalty for leaving a game.

They didn't implement any sort of temporary matchmaking ban or anything like that this time? I really have no idea, hadn't been paying attention to that.

Pre-release I would expect a lot of the people that are on to be pretty dedicated, I would really wait for post-release until there's too much doom and gloom about that. It happens occasionally to me in CoD, but not very often, and sticking it out through that match sorts it out 90% of the time, with the only exception again being if the entire enemy team is obviously some sort of hardcore clan.

Havok

Might also be worth keeping in mind that I played just one coop game, since the population of a given Spartan Ops mission is so low that it would have taken another 20 minutes to find a match. It could have just been luck of the draw. I felt it was better to relay my experience than to be wishy-washy about it, though that may have been a mistake in hindsight.
See my edit above. Core gameplay is hard to describe without resorting to ultimately meaningless generalities. I realize that criticism takes up a lot more text space than praise, but the amount of text it takes to describe a given low or high point is not proportional to their importance to the package as a whole.

Oozer3993

Why are Halo chips so hard to find? I have seen them at one Walmart. And now me and a friend have checked out 3 other locations and they are no where.

I found some single serving Doritos with codes at Dollar General. I can't find any Halo 4 Doritos anywhere else.

See my edit above. Core gameplay is hard to describe without resorting to ultimately meaningless generalities. I realize that criticism takes up a lot more text space than praise, but the amount of text it takes to describe a given low or high point is not proportional to their importance to the package as a whole.

How does the aiming feel compared to H3 and Reach?

Any update on Instinct?

Still in winner's IIRC.

They didn't implement any sort of temporary matchmaking ban or anything like that this time? I really have no idea, hadn't been paying attention to that.

It does not appear that there is any punishment for quitting, which is how it should be. If it matched you with a lopsided team, that is the fault of matchmaking, not the user.

Might also be worth keeping in mind that I played just one coop game, since the population of a given Spartan Ops mission is so low that it would have taken another 20 minutes to find a match. It could have just been luck of the draw. I felt it was better to relay my experience than to be wishy-washy about it, though that may have been a mistake in hindsight.

Urk read your post

Pop

Pre-release I would expect a lot of the people that are on to be pretty dedicated, I would really wait for post-release until there's too much doom and gloom about that. It happens occasionally to me in CoD, but not very often, and sticking it out through that match sorts it out 90% of the time, with the only exception again being if the entire enemy team is obviously some sort of hardcore clan.

No never not for JIP. Why would they...

Frankie said playing before Nov 6th was like playing a prototype of H4. Let's wait until after the 6th to complain.

Asklon

Neo Member
Will the new Skill ranking system include data from the game launch or from when the ranking system is launched?

Sorry if it's been asked already.

Havok

How does the aiming feel compared to H3 and Reach?
Hard to say off the top of my head with any specifics. I would wager that there is much less aim acceleration, since you can really whip that reticule around if you want to. Magnetism and aim assist are harder to judge, but I never found myself thinking I hit a shot that I should have missed, which happens every once in a while with Reach.

Yeah, I saw that. Very flattering, I've been a big urk fan since he created the greatest NeoGAF thread in history.

MrDaravon

Will the new Skill ranking system include data from the game launch or from when the ranking system is launched?

Sorry if it's been asked already.

I believe the post where they announced it said that they haven't decided yet if when they implement it on Waypoint if they're going to include everything that is being tracked now, or if they're going to do a clean slate and just start "counting" when they implement it.

Hard to say off the top of my head with any specifics. I would wager that there is much less aim acceleration, since you can really whip that reticule around if you want to. Magnetism and aim assist are harder to judge, but I never found myself thinking I hit a shot that I should have missed, which happens every once in a while with Reach.

Cool. Always felt like I was fighting the acceleration in 3 and Reach.

DeadNames

Banned
I think global ordnance should have been replaced with something I like to call weapon 'slots'. Each slot has it's own respective niche stated below:

Snipers:
Binary Rifle, Sniper, Beam Rifle.
Rockets:
IncinCannon, Rockets, Fuel Rod.
Light Explosives:
Conc Rifle, Sticky Det, Railgun, etc.
Automatics:
SAW, Needler, etc.

I think it would still keep the element of "random" drops in, but would still be predictable. These slots would spawn at the same time every game, mind you.

I get you, bro. That was a great write-up. I may just post some of my impressions later.

I think global ordnance should have been replaced with something I like to call weapon 'slots'. Each slot has it's own respective niche stated below:

Snipers:
Rockets:
Light Explosives:
Automatics:
SAW, Needler, etc.

I think it would still keep the element of "random" drops in, but would still be predictable. These slots would spawn at the same time every game, mind you.

Yeah I think I brought this idea up before. It keeps the weapon diversity without making weapons spawns unpredictable.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Local Gamestop said no to breaking street date

Why is north county san diego so... Honest?

Break some rules, bros!

Snipers:
Rockets:
Light Explosives:
Automatics:
SAW, Needler, etc.

So a rotation of these at the same time, same place?

Snipers:
Rockets:
Light Explosives:
Automatics:
SAW, Needler, etc.

All I see is an abundance of power weapons. Booo!!!!!!

External Memory

Neo Member
There are some knee jerk reactions in here. I've joined some existing nightmare games so far. If it looks like I can help, I stay. If it is awful, I've left. There is no penalty for leaving a game.

It's s double-edged sword if they put a penalty in when they implement CSR if it's visible in-game. Okay, triple-edged with join in progress. Of course all of it is dependent on how well you get matched before that happens and after when the population gets on at launch, obviously.

A little disappointed we have to wait till then to know how well we've been matched in-lobby, if we are able to tell when CSR drops at all...

I was serious about Reach games for a minute, but always cared about that in Halo 3 even though I'm mediocre generally and garbage compared to high-level competitive players.

Havok

Snipers:
Rockets:
Light Explosives:
Automatics:
SAW, Needler, etc.

Something I noticed but forgot to mention is that in Dominion matches, the different maps appear to have different resupply "palettes." On Vortex, when a base resupplies, mostly Promethean power weapons drop, so you get Scattershots, Suppressors, Incineration Cannons, and Binary Rifles. Longbow used the human power weapon set. So it seems like they do have the ability, on some level, to tailor the ordnance spawns. It's possible that it was just chance that I got the weapons I did, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom