• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Reposting for us 50 PPP plebeians.

Don't let me down HaloGAF.

QGg40.png

Let's make this successful.

U.S. only? That's a shame, I think there's a way of getting it to work. 2 v 2 is a good idea though.

May volunteer to organise a non-US one, if someone already hasn't?

Ramirez

U.S. only? That's a shame, I think there's a way of getting it to work. 2 v 2 is a good idea though.

May volunteer to organise a non-US one, if someone already hasn't?

What is the typical time difference for someone in the US & someone in Ireland? Seems like it was always like 8 AM or something crazy when I would play with Dani @ 12-1 AM my time.

Oh by the way, you east coasters may get another round of crap weather :( Nor'easter looks to come through Tuesday night into Wednesday. Gonna move from the Virginia coast right up into Long Island. It's probably going to complicate clean up efforts from Sandy and more people are going to lose power due to strong winds. Plus snow...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh by the way, you east coasters may get another round of crap weather :( Nor'easter looks to come through Tuesday night into Wednesday. Gonna move from the Virginia coast right up into Long Island. It's probably going to complicate clean up efforts from Sandy and more people are going to lose power due to strong winds. Plus snow...

FUCK MY BALLS!

lol I'll probably lose power the night I get Halo 4 hahahaha

What is the typical time difference for someone in the US & someone in Ireland? Seems like it was always like 8 AM or something crazy when I would play with Dani @ 12-1 AM my time.
West Coast to Ireland is 8 hours, yup yup.
My idea was localising all but the semis and final, which is still possible.

Although that's faulty because a US versus the world setup will likely be unbalanced because of the number of players in the U.S.. You should proceed as normal, perhaps we can think about a testimonial when things are a bit more underway.

Shadders

There are people at SR40+........ What in the actual fuck. How many hours must that be?

Ranking up is very quick. I think I'm SR-19 and I don't feel like I've played online that much, probably about 20-25 matches. I don't have any of that DubXP stuff either.

FUCK MY BALLS!

lol I'll probably lose power the night I get Halo 4 hahahaha
You can always crash at my place, but it'd be a long drive, roughly 1320 miles
long_drive.jpg

That's Wednesday afternoon according to the latest run of the WRF, assuming it even has a grasp on the setup. Could be some 50-60 mile per hour winds with it or worse, and temps will probably be at or below zero. Sorry for the OT. I'm done!
wspd.png

JimiNutz

Banned
I've only ever really dabbled in Halo mp and am an average (at best) player with maybe a 1.1 k/d ratio on Reach.

Anyway, will Halo 4 on the way I decided to jump back into mp.
Been playing the Anniversary playlist and am having so much fun.

I never played any CE mp but this mode is by far my favourite version of Halo mp. The movement speed is so much better, there are no annoying AA and the pistol is amazing. So much more fun for me with some epic magnum shoot outs.

Are there going to be any modes in Halo 4 that are similar to this?
Are any weapons similar in power to the pistol? I also like the DMR in normal Reach mp. Is the Halo 4 DMR any different? More/less powerful?

Ramirez, you're avatar makes me laugh every single time I see it. I'm not much of a Steelers fan though. Troy seems pretty down to earth, but I always wonder how people really are in real life, like all the celebrities that you find out are d-bags.
I have to say, sooo many people have the game already. Worst launch ever.
I kind of agree, but I don't think it can really be helped. That doesn't stop me from throwing a hissy fit about it.

Ken

Would I be able to buy the Halo 4 soundtrack and the remixes digitally off Amazon? I don't usually buy soundtracks so I'm not sure where are the best places to look as far as prices go.

Yeah, I'm going to pop up a non-US thread Tourney Thread!
Need a non-US Commissioner to be my wing-man.

Ram, your tourney covers South America too, yes?

biffbam14dma.gif

Good shit, monkey.

This is great. Can't wait to play this game.

Some bad news: coop netcode is still awful. I wasn’t lucky enough to be chosen as host, so I was instead bestowed with a full second of input lag.

Welp, single player Spartan Ops it is, then :/

Did anyone truly expect anything else? If the co-op netcode had seen a radical improvement over its previous iterations 343 would have been shouting it from the rooftops early on. There was no reason or indication to believe that it would be significantly improved.

Oh! I noticed another thing, not sure if it was mentioned: You can no longer switch votes during the voting process. You are locked in once you pick a map.

That's good. Hopefully they go the whole hog and hide other players votes too; without the ability to change your vote, you lose the ability to switch to the 'lesser of two evils' if you see your choice will not win. This will instill an overly cautious voting style where players will wait until the last second to cast their vote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: HAVOK'S REVIEW

Good writeup, I certainly didn't feel it was overly negative, it was a very optimistic and bright piece with the inevitable caveats thrown in. It's also difficult to rave positively about the Campaign when you can't refer to its story or gameplay segments.

The only point among the ire that really, really concerns me is the description of JIP and more specifically its horror story of the team of eight flattening an endless stream of randoms in MM.

Let me be clear: being pitted against communicative teams of 8 when I'm playing alone or with one other has completely ruined more games of Halo for me than any cheating/boosting/standbying in ranked playlist games EVER did. I reached the upper echelons of most of Halo 3's ranked playlists and was standby-ed no more than a handfull of times, if that and I played thousands of ranked games.

This notion from 343 (and Bungie before them) that 1-50 skill ranks damaged games of Halo whilst simultaneously presiding over a system that routinely matches you and cobbled together players against pre-formed teams of eight (often of a significantly higher skill sum total), in which you are there only to be the one-way pleasure receptacle of all power weapons and vehicles on the map until you quit or hide in an obscure corner and go away from their videogame for ten minutes... it is a pretty shameful hypocrisy but one that is so easily remedied too.

343 likes to talk the talk on more stringent skill matching and 'improved matchmaking' in Halo 4 but will they actually walk the walk? The trimming down of the playlist count means higher playlist populations. Higher playlist populations mean party-size matching is as entirely possible as it is necessary.

Basically I never, ever want to come up against a full party when I'm playing with anything less, and the low playlist count means 343 has no excuse to not implement party-size matching. Do not let this shit mar Halo MM yet again.

Overdoziz

Banned
Did anyone truly expect anything else? If the co-op netcode had seen a radical improvement over its previous iterations 343 would have been shouting it from the rooftops early on. There was no reason or indication to believe that it would be significantly improved.
Well eh... why would you spend so many resources on a 4-player co-op mode if co-op doesn't even work properly?

The only point among the ire that really, really concerns me is the description of JIP and more specifically its horror story of the team of eight flattening an endless stream of randoms in MM.

Let me be clear: being pitted against communicative teams of 8 when I'm playing alone or with one other has completely ruined more games of Halo for me than any cheating/boosting/standbying in ranked playlist games EVER did. I reached the upper echelons of most of Halo 3's ranked playlists and was standby-ed no more than a handfull of times, if that and I played thousands of ranked games.

This notion from 343 (and Bungie before them) that 1-50 skill ranks damaged games of Halo whilst simultaneously presiding over a system that routinely matches you and cobbled together players against pre-formed teams of eight (often of a significantly higher skill sum total), in which you are there only to be the one-way pleasure receptacle of all power weapons and vehicles on the map until you quit or hide in an obscure corner and go away from their videogame for ten minutes... it is a pretty shameful hypocrisy but one that is so easily remedied too.

343 likes to talk the talk on more stringent skill matching and 'improved matchmaking' in Halo 4 but will they actually walk the walk? The trimming down of the playlist count means higher playlist populations. Higher playlist populations mean party-size matching is as entirely possible as it is necessary.

Basically I never, ever want to come up against a full party when I'm playing with anything less, and the low playlist count means 343 has no excuse to not implement party-size matching. Do not let this shit mar Halo MM yet again.
I know that feel. For me, playing solo in Reach and running into partied up players was far worse than anything ever experienced in Halo2 and 3 matchmaking, period. Hoping beyond hope that what you bring up in this post doesn't become the norm in Halo 4. I still want a mercs playlist, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom