• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Why don't we just get rid of exp and unlock everything from the start?

Because bars.

The first game of MP I played on Live - Infinity Slayer - I earned enough XP to skip right through SR-2 and land on SR-3, unlocking the BR in the process. Couple games later I have my ideal load out setup up. Not sure what gets unlocked later on in the progression but it did seem silly to me to lock the BR in the first place since it gets unlocked that fast.

I think it's going to be fun to unlock the armor mods and such. But unlocking the BR after one game was unexpected.

aj1467

So, about input lag in Spartan Ops...

TmDpa.gif

I hope it won't be too laggy.

Because bars give the feeling of progression to casuals.

They wont even know that they would have stopped playing after getting pooped on about 10-30 times. The bars let them say hey even if I lose I still get something cool next game!

Basically if you dont play for the competition you need something to follow around.

Tons of games are "fun" these days. Why are they going to play yours though?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wouldn't say EXP is just for casuals. Many people, including hardcore players, like unlock systems. Even if you love the game itself, it's still fun to unlock new armor and things like that.

sp3000

So, about input lag in Spartan Ops...

What is the technical reason for why it occurs anyway It's such a strange phenomenon and Halo is the only game I've seen it in.

I feel as though most of these issues would be solved if Microsoft bothered to set up dedicated servers for the game like Battlefield 3 allows. At the very least, it would get rid of that host migration issue where the entire game stops just because one person quits.
It's ridiculous that this is still an issue in 2012, when the same problem was happening in with Halo 2. It would have also mitigated all the ridiculous network exploiting that goes on like bridging.

What is the technical reason for why it occurs anyway It's such a strange phenomenon and Halo is the only game I've seen it in.

I feel as though most of these issues would be solved if Microsoft bothered to set up dedicated servers for the game like Battlefield 3 allows. At the very least, it would get rid of that host migration issue where the entire game stops just because one person quits.
It's ridiculous that this is still an issue in 2012, when the same problem was happening in with Halo 2. It would have also mitigated all the ridiculous network exploiting that goes on like bridging.

I'm pretty sure it's attributed to the fact that Halo AI's thinking ability is so far beyond any other multiplayer games' AI out there. That, and that there usually are a bunch of enemies at one time. But I really don't know lol

Edit: And from what I've heard, the lag isn't near as bad as it was in previous games.

willow ve

Dedicated servers. Sigh. I still get glitches and errors in playing BF3... but it's still refreshing compared to other games that are direct P2P. Halo 5?

They could even make it a premium feature that users have to pay to support. Look how many custom servers are constantly running on BF3 - and those are paid for by players. HaloGAF server in Halo 5 anyone?

Because bars.

The first game of MP I played on Live - Infinity Slayer - I earned enough XP to skip right through SR-2 and land on SR-3, unlocking the BR in the process. Couple games later I have my ideal load out setup up. Not sure what gets unlocked later on in the progression but it did seem silly to me to lock the BR in the first place since it gets unlocked that fast.

I think it's going to be fun to unlock the armor mods and such. But unlocking the BR after one game was unexpected.

Aren't both the BR and DMR unlocked at SR-2?

sp3000

Dedicated servers. Sigh. I still get glitches and errors in playing BF3... but it's still refreshing compared to other games that are direct P2P. Halo 5?

They could even make it a premium feature that users have to pay to support. Look how many custom servers are constantly running on BF3 - and those are paid for by players. HaloGAF server in Halo 5 anyone?

BF3 has an amazing model. Whatever the other problems with the game, I have to hand it to EA and DICE for giving players the ability to buy their own servers and also running their own.

If Microsoft wanted to set up dedicated servers they would have done it by now. Unfortunately, they would rather spend the money on expensive advertising campaigns.

TommyT

About lag. I mentioned something earlier, and I don't think Devin (as I was watching his stream) saw it or maybe someone answered and I missed it. It seemed as if there was a bit of lag between when he threw a grenade and when we saw it actually being thrown. Is that something that's known, just on the stream's end or...?

What do you guys think about my new Twitch banner?

Ove8f.jpg

Only good if we can expect to see all of that on stream... at one time.

Havok

Hopefully this can be adjusted, but weapons despawn ridiculously quickly now. There is almost no hope of getting back to your body on even a medium-sized map in time to pick up that sniper or rocket unless you make a beeline and aren't interrupted at all.
So black screen disables sprint/aa's

Its horrible without sprint
I noticed this earlier today. It's not a consistent thing, though - I've definitely retained my abilities through a black screen before.

kylej

Banned

right after that I saw news that sig is going to do a 48 hour stream this weekend. I think Ninja is doing 24 hours of Halo 4 this Tuesday too.

nothing brightens the spirits quite like the knowledge that you'll be able to watch two men mentally break down live in the name of entertainment.

FyreWulff made a couple of excellent posts earlier detailing why the networking works like it does:

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach already do this. You determine the seed once at the start of the session, and that determines all the dice rolls for that session in exactly the same order. This allows both films and online co-op to work, as the AI will make the same random determinations in the same order with the same inputs. This is what its going on when you see "deterministic AI" (which only Halo 3 onwards has, Halo 2 has some remnants of it in their attempts at online co-op) or "deterministic networking" (Halo 3/ODST/Reach campaign and Firefight networking)

It only loads the immediate buffer it needs - confirmed a while back by Bungie that films can get as big as the biggest 360 HDD (when someone was asking how long an ODST firefight film would keep recording for). So we already know gigabyte plus films will be loaded.

I have three plausible speculations in mind.

1) Simply cut for time. Boring and heartless explanation, but it happens, and the most likely.

2) The new Forerunner AI was not made deterministic. But that wouldn't make sense since campaign co-op over Live wouldn't work under lockstep if it wasn't deterministic...... unless campaign networking is no longer lockstep. I think I just confused myself.

3) 343 may be planning to more aggressively update Halo 4 with Title Updates than past titles. Under this plan, it would be harder to maintain campaign film interoperation between versions, as they don't have the luxury of just loading specific Megalo hooks. It would, IN THEORY, be easier to just drop films in campaign so you no longer have to consider them in title updates. Bungie's interop of old films in 3 was a considerable undertaking. This is 110% pure speculation though.

This is of course assuming campaign films are even cut.

Instead of networking 40 AI (Reach's limit) with the bandwidth of 40 players (which is what it'd cost to network a fully realized AI under the multiplayer model), you network just the button presses of the 4 players and let the boxes simulate the AI themselves.

For comparison, a 40-player Source server generally requires 3MB/sec upload speed minimum to work in a playable manner. Most people's connections don't exceed 1MB, and their Xbox is not the exclusive user of the connection.

Even if the connection is that fast, a 10+ minute game of Halo Nonlockstep CoOp/Firefight will consume nearly 1GB of bandwidth at that speed - some people have monthly caps not far above that.

The upside to the lockstep model is you can have 40 AI or 3,000 AI and it's still the same amount of bandwidth, because of only button presses and other minimal information being networked. To make it not be lockstep and not have a button delay, they'd have to drastically reduce the amount of AI. And remember that vehicles in Halo count as two AIs.

It wouldn't really be that fun to play co-op against 4 grunts and an Elite driving a ghost at most at a time.

I'm late on this as I just finished Thursday War, and I don't want to be spoiled, so if you've played Halo 4, or watched the spoilers, don't tell me. I'm just asking those of us who have read the book and haven't been spoiled; We all agree that
Jul is likely leading the Covenant that are on Requiem?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just matched with some kid and he goes, "NEW YORK STATE OF MIND! I KNOW YOU! Where do I know you from?!"

I say, "I don't know bro"

He says, "do you play Call of Duty?"

I fuckin lol'd hard.

I do not know if this was the same for Reach, but what if the XP cap is just for pre-launch gameplay? Limiting players that have the game early levels the playing field for custom loadouts for the rest of the players that got the game on launch.

Here's a DXP code since I have no interest in them. Quote to view.

Mayyhem

Went to Macs (7/11 type store) and picked up some Canadian DewXP from one bottle of Mtn Dew and two bags of chips. I would have NEVER bought Doritos and/or mtn dew. Damn Marketing works.

wwm0nkey

Just a heads up, some GameStops have over reserved Halo 4, my sisters store and a few others around me are currently over reserved so I would call to make sure your store has enough copies if you don't plan on going to the midnight launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom