• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started playing campaign after getting home last night from GameStop. I've been playing all morning and I'm almost 99% sure i'm on the last level, but I can't stay awake. Need. Sleep. I think I've gotten worse at the game, because i'm doing heroic difficulty and it's no cake walk. I don't want to imagine what legendary will be like. Ouch. Started at about 1am and stopped at 9am. So I've put in 8 good hours so far. Not gonna give my impressions or form any opinions until completely done. Off to bed.

Splitscreen is pretty shit. No kill cams, no final kill cam, no post game SR unlock screen and the framerate oes to shit a lot on BTB games.

Akai__

Me: Hey do you still have Halo 4 in stock?

Shop assistant: "How do you spell Halo?"

Ah interesting, who did you order with? I may hold out and see if it arrives then.

Hahaha, did this really happened? Amazing.

I ordered it from Spielegrotte.de and it will be delivered by DHL, the german post/mailing service.

TCKaos

Splitscreen is pretty shit. No kill cams, no final kill cam, no post game SR unlock screen and the framerate oes to shit a lot on BTB games.

This. Hard.

My brother and I were so disappointed after we shit all over the Campaign on Legendary that we couldn't shit all over scrubs in Dominion because it's so hard to fucking see.

But holy shit guys, this game.

This fucking game.

This game is amazing.

Okay. I played the first level and into the first encounter in the second mission. Before I post my thoughts I do want to reiterate the utterly fantastic main menu screen and the accompanying music. Gets you in the mood.

Thoughts:

I really like the first cutscene with Halsey. At this point the implications from it are very interesting and definitely push me to keep playing. Replacing the Master Chief? Hm. The one nitpick I have was the use of MC's armor for Halo 4 for events clearly made to show past events. Where's the Mjolnir Mark V or VI?

Now about the first level (and a little bit of the second).

Let me get the negatives out of the way first:
1. I think Cortana says her lines too loudly. She almost screams them. It's good when everything times up and there's a real sense of urgency, but when you're exploring or just walking through hallways it can be very abrupt and take you out of the mood.
2. The visor outlines in your HUD. I talked about this before the game's release, but I've never liked games that have your visor going around the edges of your screen. It makes me feel claustrophobic, and I feel like I can't see as much as the environment as I should. I would love a TU that gives us the option to turn off the edges of the visor.
3. I'm not sure yet if it's because I'm a better campaign player or there's something different about the AI in the game, but I haven't died once. I'm playing on Heroic, and I find that I'm breezing through the encounters. At this point in ODST and Halo 3 I died several times. I hope the game gets harder with the Prometheans.
4. Not sold on the QTEs like that climbing part.

Okay, now for the stuff I like!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the first level. In an extraordinary way – the ice, the sterility, the glow of the lights and the broken nature of the ship – it all adds to the sense of isolation of your situation. I loved the little things you could do in the level like check on the status of several aspects of the ship (weapons, structural integrity, and so on) and view a summary of the events prior to Halo 4. The presentation of the level was very good. My favorite encounter of the level was the last one, and that encounter was made more enjoyable against the awesome backdrop of Requiem and the Covenant ships.

I like sneaking up on the Covenant and seeing them interact with each other before they see me. Moreover, I did enjoy those little scripted moments like the Elite suffocating when the ship's atmosphere controls failed. You know, I find the Grunts just as hilarious in Halo 4 as I did Halo 1 - 3.

Keep in my first impressions, but overall this level is one of the better opening levels to a Halo game. Not as good as Sierra 117 or Tayari Plaza, mind you, but better than Cairo Station, Pillar of Autumn, and Winter Contingency.

Second level, Requiem:

Gotta say that I LOVE how the level begins. You're dropped into this area with a bunch of wreckage and there's a lot for the player to discover. There's a Halsey journal entry – not sure how that go into the Forward Unto Dawn – but that was great to find. There's also this Covenant terminal there which took me a second to realize it was saying, "The Didact." There's also Carbines and a SAW lying around for you to grab if you look hard enough.

The presentation in this level is great too. Walking out to discover that landscape of hanging Forerunner structures was a sight to behold. I enjoyed the first encounter in the level, which is where I stopped.

Now, back to more playing MP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Okay. I played the first level and into the first encounter in the second mission. Before I post my thoughts I do want to reiterate the utterly fantastic main menu screen and the accompanying music. Gets you in the mood.

Thoughts:

I really like the first cutscene with Halsey. At this point the implications from it are very interesting and definitely push me to keep playing. Replacing the Master Chief? Hm. The one nitpick I have was the use of MC's armor for Halo 4 for events clearly made to show past events. Where's the Mjolnir Mark V or VI?

Now about the first level (and a little bit of the second).

Let me get the negatives out of the way first:
1. I think Cortana says her lines too loudly. She almost screams them. It's good when everything times up and there's a real sense of urgency, but when you're exploring or just walking through hallways it can be very abrupt and take you out of the mood.
2. The visor outlines in your HUD. I talked about this before the game's release, but I've never liked games that have your visor going around the edges of your screen. It makes me feel claustrophobic, and I feel like I can't see as much as the environment as I should. I would love a TU that gives us the option to turn off the edges of the visor.
3. I'm not sure yet if it's because I'm a better campaign player or there's something different about the AI in the game, but I haven't died once. I'm playing on Heroic, and I find that I'm breezing through the encounters. At this point in ODST and Halo 3 I died several times. I hope the game gets harder with the Prometheans.
4. Not sold on the QTEs like that climbing part.

Okay, now for the stuff I like!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the first level. In an extraordinary way – the ice, the sterility, the glow of the lights and the broken nature of the ship – it all adds to the sense of isolation of your situation. I loved the little things you could do in the level like check on the status of several aspects of the ship (weapons, structural integrity, and so on) and view a summary of the events prior to Halo 4. The presentation of the level was very good. My favorite encounter of the level was the last one, and that encounter was made more enjoyable against the awesome backdrop of Requiem and the Covenant ships.

I like sneaking up on the Covenant and seeing them interact with each other before they see me. Moreover, I did enjoy those little scripted moments like the Elite suffocating when the ship's atmosphere controls failed. You know, I find the Grunts just as hilarious in Halo 4 as I did Halo 1 - 3.

Keep in my first impressions, but overall this level is one of the better opening levels to a Halo game. Not as good as Sierra 117 or Tayari Plaza, mind you, but better than Cairo Station, Pillar of Autumn, and Winter Contingency.

Second level, Requiem:

Gotta say that I LOVE how the level begins. You're dropped into this area with a bunch of wreckage and there's a lot for the player to discover. There's a Halsey journal entry – not sure how that go into the Forward Unto Dawn – but that was great to find. There's also this Covenant terminal there which took me a second to realize it was saying, "The Didact." There's also Carbines and a SAW lying around for you to grab if you look hard enough.

The presentation in this level is great too. Walking out to discover that landscape of hanging Forerunner structures was a sight to behold. I enjoyed the first encounter in the level, which is where I stopped.

Now, back to more playing MP.

You should be posting this in the OT/spoiler thread.

Sordid

My first 2 multiplayer games were filled to the brim with black screens as people left and others joined. I hope it settles down or stops giving quitters host :(

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I hope it settles down or stops giving quitters host :(

Quitting on host should at the very least give you a week long host ban.

And where the fuck is good connection? No bullshit join in progress?

Searching as a party of 4 and getting split is pure bullshit.

willow ve

for fucks sake. two + hour wait to vote at my polling location. then someone pulls the fire alarm. get your shit together America. i have double xp to use

WJD

Just finished the fourth mission and I'm really enjoying it so far. Of course, I kind of enjoyed Reach to start with so time will be the true test for it... Promising signs though!

Just going to have a poo while the second disc installs then have a crack at multiplayer.

Sallokin

Ok, so I'm getting told servers are not available, I can eventually play games, but it puts me in as SR1, then gives me points towards my actual rank at the end... Also I can't join any of my friends.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, so I'm getting told servers are not available, I can eventually play games, but it puts me in as SR1, then gives me points towards my actual rank at the end... Also I can't join any of my friends.

Probably unexpectedly high traffic. It's to be expected, especially on launch day.

I just finished solo legendary.

That was a fantastic campaign to start a trilogy. Bravo 343i.

Now on to war games for a little while.

So apparently Legendary isn't as bad as it's been made out to be. A lot of people blowing right through it.

Pop

I just finished solo legendary.

That was a fantastic campaign to start a trilogy. Bravo 343i.

Now on to war games for a little while.

senador

Banned
Damn. Matchmaking won't work for me.

I don't like the default controls. Going to try Bumper Jumper but that'll be tough to get used to.

Edit: Working now!

Beckx

One level down in Legendary. Enjoyed it much more than the Legendary in prior games. I didn't feel like I was using a pea shooter to take down a tank.

It felt like I was more vulnerable than prior games, but the enemy shields and health didn't have the insane buffs. A good trade off, IMO.

Mayyhem

First time playing Abandon right now and I really don't see myself liking that map at all. Almost the whole match was the other team camping in the middle structure. I'm hoping this is not a recurring theme on that map.

Sallokin

This is driving me nuts. I can't even join campaign lobbies with my friends because of this shit. I'm sorry, this is unacceptable.

Couple notes on Oddball:

I really do enjoy the gametype itself and the ability to throw the ball, even if that may cause some problems with people throwing the ball at others to gain an upper hand in a fight.

This far in, I don't think Oddball works on two maps: Adrift and Abandoned. This could be because I'm playing with randoms and not teams (and the problem playing with randoms may be exacerbated by JiP), to say first. I don't think Oddball works well on Adrift because that map isn't straightforward enough. There are too many places on the map where one team can hold up on side as the other team is forced to spawn on the other side of the map. There aren't enough straight routes to either end of the map where a team is likely going to hold the ball.

I only say Abandoned because the last game I played for the morning was a broken game of Oddball on that map. The other team got the ball, moved it all the way to the front of them map and put the holder in a place where we couldn't fire on him unless we got really close. They got a margin of 230 - 8 or something like that before my team finally broke through. We lost, of course.

Gotta say, one amusing moment today was when I'm pretty sure I killed a player just by sticking him – not the explosion. Forgot to save the file.

Counting the levels until I can get the Boltshot.

One level down in Legendary. Enjoyed it much more than the Legendary in prior games. I didn't feel like I was using a pea shooter to take down a tank.

It felt like I was more vulnerable than prior games, but the enemy shields and health didn't have the insane buffs. A good trade off, IMO.

Excellent, legendary is the way to go. Very rewarding.

Beckx

Is there any way to replay the movie that plays when you launch Infinity for the first time?

I got this strange video error (see below) when it played. Would like to watch it again and see it clearly.

A6_wYFGCIAApuvS.jpg

MrBig

Hopping on to play some H3 campaign while I wait for my copy of H4, which should be here some time around 6pm EST. Need to get used to using a controller again

Defect

Whoever thought of joining in progress should be fired.

I join a game with a team of 3 in Dominion and as soon as I join, boom loss.

Wtf 343

aj1467

Got home from uni and the postman had hidden halo 4 behind the recycling bins. Woop! Suck it amazon and your "Friday 9th" estimated delivery date!!

H3xum

I skimmed a few pages and didn't see any issues, but, just by any chance has anyone experienced a lot of issues joining friends on playlist?

It says Joinable then we click on it and it'll instantly change to not joinable.

He's level 5ish but his SR is 1, so perhaps its server side? Just need to wait for a fix?

Whoever thought of joining in progress should be fired.

I join a game with a team of 3 in Dominion and as soon as I join, boom loss.

Wtf 343
People have been begging for Join In Progress since Halo 2. I don't understand where these people keep coming from who don't view it as an improvement.

You lost this one game, but the next time a teammate drops a new one may join quickly enough to give you a fighting chance. It seems likely that Join In Progress is able to find you matches more quickly than before each and every time you search because it has a greater selection of games to choose from. You'd trade those two benefits for the occasional "boom loss?" I don't get it.

People have been begging for Join In Progress since Halo 2. I don't understand where these people keep coming from who don't view it as an improvement.

You lost this one game, but the next time a teammate drops a new one may join quickly enough to give you a fighting chance. It seems likely that Join In Progress is able to find you matches more quickly than before each and every time you search because it has a greater selection of games to choose from. You'd trade those two benefits for the occasional "boom loss?" I don't get it.

Yea, but people don't want to join a game right before its finished, it's science. Is it so hard just to make a time limit on JIP?

willow ve

Yea, but people don't want to join a game right before its finished, it's science. Is it so hard just to make a time limit on JIP?
or give us the option. i personally don't ever want to join a game in progress. i don't mind people leaving or joining me, but don't drop me in a losing battle

Defect

Allow me to choose whether I join in progress or not. I don't care if it takes me an hour to find games. Just let me in before a match begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom