• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

How do I turn off join in progress? I want to play a game from scratch. Just got dropped into the losing end of an Infinity Slayer BTB game, and I do not want to do that.

Yeah, I got dropped into a IS match where it was 540 to 230. Great.
A match also started where it was 4v0 and we got an instant win.
I imagine these will be ironed out over the coming months (cough this is what a beta is for cough)

I like the diversity of the viable MP sanbox; most weapons are useful to some degree. I would really like to see the strafe speed increased to increase the shooting skill gap though.

Havok

Oh wow. I had no idea. I won't be touching any playlists that prevent me from starting a game from scratch, I really don't want to just drop into some random game.

I'm taking a break from Campaign and wanted to do a War Games match or two. Now I don't know what to play. Skyrim?

Edit: Skyrim.
Unfortunately, all but one of them are JIP-mandatory from what I can tell.

There are a few things I'd like them to patch in, and a JIP toggle is definitely one of them, as well as the aforementioned Forge precision controls (this especially is vital to my enjoyment of the entire mode) and an Active Roster update that lets you see which players in a voting lobby are in a party together.

daedalius

The feedback when fighting Covenant is pretty weak. Stickies that don't elicit reactions, needle super combines that just kinda go 'plop', Jackal shields not popping when the carriers die (just kinda fading out), Elites just kinda crumpling over silently when killed and so on all make combat feel very flat. Ploopy sound effects, enemies that don't have distinctive profiles or that respond with clarity to taking fire in various ways.

I need to process and play further. But I feel oddly disconnected from combat so far, there's no satisfaction in taking guys out; the simple act of headshotting a Grunt used to be fun and now there's just no visual or audio feedback to that action.

Working on mission 2, which is gorgeous and has some interesting encounter set ups. But the actual combat is off.

Definitely do not share this in my experience thus far.

BigShow36

Definitely do not share this in my experience thus far.

Me neither; campaign firefights are the most engaging and intense I've had in a long, long time. Playing on heroic makes you think about each engagement and make use of all your tools. It's been a great experience so far.

What's with the inconsistent sampling in campaign sounds and music? I feel like I'm listening to some of this stuff through an AM radio...

GhaleonEB

Unfortunately, all but one of them are JIP-mandatory from what I can tell.
I can see the reasoning for this, as it does help games stay full. But I wish I could opt out. I don't want to jump into the middle of stuff. The ebb and flow of a match is a big part of what I enjoy about multiplayer, and JIP deprives me of that experience.

I'm surprised and bummed about it. I hope it's changed.

Edit: my save and quit in mission 2 didn't take. Have to start over. I think I need to stop posting until I'm through campaign. :lol

Me neither; campaign firefights are the most engaging and intense I've had in a long, long time. Playing on heroic makes you think about each engagement and make use of all your tools. It's been a great experience so far.

I am distinguishing the encounter design from the feedback loop. Encounters are great. Feedback loop is very poor, IMO.

And I'm really starting to dislike the sound design. A LOT. The alien weapons sound both weak, and no longer alien.

Beckx

Generally very positive for me, BUT there is one hilarious grunt on Legendary Dawn (in the room with the circular inner room with glass windows) who is completely oblivious. You can headshot his friends and he won't react unless he has line of sight (the window doesn't count).

Miss campaign scoring, it was a great piece of feedback on whether enemies were dead. But for grunts Birthday Party is serving me as a substitute. Is it me or are they ALL HEAD in Halo 4?

I can see the reasoning for this, as it does help games stay full. But I wish I could opt out. I don't want to jump into the middle of stuff. The ebb and flow of a match is a big part of what I enjoy about multiplayer, and JIP deprives me of that experience.

I'm surprised and bummed about it. I hope it's changed.

I suppose it forces you to stay in the group after finishing a game rather than exiting to search for another game. Larger the pool of post game players staying around to search together, the less the chance you'll be thrown into a JIP game.

Minding my own business when...

k89kyu6owyk92tkr.jpg

:D

Too bad I can't play the game for another 24 hours :'(

BigShow36

Generally very positive for me, BUT there is one hilarious grunt on Legendary Dawn (in the room with the circular inner room with glass windows) who is completely oblivious. You can headshot his friends and he won't react unless he has line of sight.

On the second level too, there are some grunts where you can shoot them and they don't react.

Beckx

What's with the inconsistent sampling in campaign sounds and music? I feel like I'm listening to some of this stuff through an AM radio...

And I'm really starting to dislike the sound design. A LOT. The alien weapons sound both weak, and no longer alien.

What are you listening through? On a 5.1 system sound has been *amazing*. But through regular TV speakers it's not.

Still would have loved to have sliders for sound. :/

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Where can I view "ALL" medals in the game? I want to see what a Perfection takes, As i went 15/0 in Infinity Slayer and didn't get the medal

Where can I view Commendations on the actual game? It's cool to have a progress bar, but lame to not actually see the damn things!

Promethean Vision is sorta lame, Everyone always knows where I am!

Other than that, this game is playing like a dream and I LOVE IT

Also, went 38/3 in a game of dominion... in a wraith! LOL!

Woorloog

Banned
Campaign finished.
Don't have much to say:
Thank you 343.

Also
WTT Specialization unlocks for a pre-order armor, preferrably CIO, not Forest+BR Skin though as i have those.

MrBig

You were just saying the other day how great it was for the opposing team! Don't do this!

It's a great feature, but you should not be forced to use it at times you don't want to. The point of matchmaking is to set you up with players of similar skill to compete against each other on an even playing field, and you won't always be getting that experience if there is no way to disable it. It should have been just kept to the Infinity playlists that already changed that formula.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's a great feature, but you should not be forced to use it at times you don't want to.

If everyone could turn it off it would probably be pointless.

This is something that could have been remedied with a "ranked" playlist though that disables it.

Ramirez

I was just going to comment on what Dax said about Steitzer. I haven't played Oddball, but I can honestly say I've never once felt he was talking too much, and I also haven't noticed the white text a single time, I really feel like you tune that stuff out after a match or two.

I got a "Hail Mary" on Exile last night, totally unexpected & awesome when he said it.

My Astro's aren't going to be here until next Monday. :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Having NAT issues because I have a new provider. They own the router too, thus I cannot get into the settings. Anything I can do outside of messing in the router to fix? A friend and I can't join each other, but we can chat fine.

heckfu

Banned
I was just going to comment on what Dax said about Steitzer. I haven't played Oddball, but I can honestly say I've never once felt he was talking too much, and I also haven't noticed the white text a single time, I really feel like you tune that stuff out after a match or two.

I got a "Hail Mary" on Exile last night, totally unexpected & awesome when he said it.

We need to play tonight ese.

Abdozer

Anyone else getting "Halo 4 servers are not availible" prompt? I can't find any players to match up against or join anyone's parties. Real annoying.

GhaleonEB

You were just saying the other day how great it was for the opposing team! Don't do this!

I want to have my cake and eat it too!

It does help when players quit, and others fill in.

But as a player going into a game, I don't want to land in the middle of one that's ongoing. I want to start a new game.

I didn't think I had to pick one, I just assumed I could opt out. But if I did have to pick one, I think I'd pick being able to start a new game every time, and dealing with quitters.

I may revise that over time. And I do understand 343's reasoning - it helps keep games full, and thus hopefully more fun. But I enjoy the ebb and flow of games enough to want to start them from scratch, so it's disappointing to me that the option is gone.

Then again, a big part of that ebb and flow in Halo is gone now as well, due to the ordnance/load out systems. So maybe I'll object less as time goes on. We'll see.

darthbob

The girl told me it was MS's problem last night, but I guess she could have been lying.

She's more likely misinformed.

The tokens provided in the LE and Console bundles are the responsibility of Microsoft.

The pre-order tokens from retailers, are the responsibility of the retailers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Must be server issues is why I cant join a friend.

Man, so many bad people on. Just won us the match going 25-17. Next guy went -8 or something and we had a 0-0 guy.

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
Love it so far and Slayer Pro is fantastic. Just one grumble regarding emblems, are they the only ones we get? Or are there more? the emblem i used throughout Halo is the grunt and he doesn't seem to be there.
Not a big deal mind you.

BigShow36

Disc installing, Dew opened, controller charged, voting done. Time to disappear from the real world for a few hours.

Servers unavailable.

Love it so far and Slayer Pro is fantastic. Just one grumble regarding emblems, are they the only ones we get? Or are there more? the emblem i used throughout Halo is the grunt and he doesn't seem to be there.
Not a big deal mind you.

You unlock more as you go along. Kind of stupid, but meh.

What are you listening through? On a 5.1 system sound has been *amazing*. But through regular TV speakers it's not.

Still would have loved to have sliders for sound. :/
Astro A40s and Dolby Headphone Surround. There are definitely under-sampled or compressed sound effects and music. I'll provide specific examples in a future post.

CyReN

What we would like out of a patch if possible

• Ability to drop the flag
  • Static weapon timers
  • Assault gametype
  • Join-In-Progress toggle
  • Sprint toggle
  • Online Visible ranks (I know, I know)
  • Auto-pickup toggle
  • Playlist overhaul (snipers, doubles, merge Obj playlists, etc.)
  • Active Roster in alphabetical order
  • Theater for Campaign/Spartan Ops.
  • Campaign scoring/timers
  • Spectator Mode
ps: we think the game is really good, just minor tweaks the could help expand the game for years to come.

That's not all.

There are the two audio bits you mentioned, the Carbines, the SAW, a Fuel Rod, a cache of Battle Rifles, and a Sniper Rifle all scattered through the area. Some of them are decently hidden, too.
Holy crap! I can't wait to play the game again so I can revisit the area and explore more. I said this on Twitter, but looking back, the (campaign spoilers)
opening to Requiem is probably one of my favorite openings for any Halo level ever.
The feedback when fighting Covenant is pretty weak. Stickies that don't elicit reactions, needle super combines that just kinda go 'plop', Jackal shields not popping when the carriers die (just kinda fading out), Elites just kinda crumpling over silently when killed and so on all make combat feel very flat. Ploopy sound effects, enemies that don't have distinctive profiles or that respond with clarity to taking fire in various ways.

I need to process and play further. But I feel oddly disconnected from combat so far, there's no satisfaction in taking guys out; the simple act of headshotting a Grunt used to be fun and now there's just no visual or audio feedback to that action.

Working on mission 2, which is gorgeous and has some interesting encounter set ups. But the actual combat is off.
I knew I wasn't crazy! I felt something was off when I stuck a Grunt or an Elite. I think I've been feeling the same way when it comes to fighting the Covenant as well.

Played some FFA and he barely said anything at all. Guess it depends on the gametype. :/

Edit:
What we would like out of a patch if possible

[/LIST]
ps: we think the game is really good, just minor tweaks the could help expand the game for years to come.

Good list. I'd like a helmet toggle for campaign as well, but nobody else seems to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom