• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well I guess that this is some sort of consolation that it will be more than a week before I get to play since even Campaign stuff is being affected by the server problems, and by the time I get back, it should all be fixed.

I still didn't get the LOCUS skin though. :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Regicide:

1st place: 305 points - 30 kills - 3 assists - 9 deaths - 10.2 points per kill
2nd place: 240 points - 13 kills - 3 assists - 15 deaths - 18.5 points per kill

Why is this in matchmaking and not normal FFA? :lol

What? You think 343 wants to make a halo game for halo fans?

Beckx

I would highly recommend anyone attempting Solo Legendary right now to maybe wait until the servers get fixed up. Would be shitty to waste your time.

Why would they have it unlock by a mechanism *other* than the achievement itself? I don't understand that one.

Mayyhem

Played Infinity Slayer last night for 4 hours.

Haven. Haven. Haven. Solace. Haven. Haven. Solace. Haven. Haven. Haven. Solace. Solace. Haven. Adrift.

Although Haven and Solace are probably the only two good maps for 4v4 Slayer, I'm already getting bored of playing them.

Havok

Cleared the first level without dying, died like three times on the second one. So far, it's the softest Legendary in the series.
Apart from anytime you're in a Banshee, it continues to be that way, as far as I'm concerned. Enter a Banshee, and all of a sudden its like every single enemy becomes a Halo 2 Legendary Jackal Sniper, with pinpoint accuracy from far, far beyond their normal firing range. It's pretty asinine.

zap

Apart from anytime you're in a Banshee, it continues to be that way, as far as I'm concerned. Enter a Banshee, and all of a sudden its like every single enemy becomes a Halo 2 Legendary Jackal Sniper, with pinpoint accuracy from far, far beyond their normal firing range. It's pretty asinine.

Argh I know. I thought the Banshee would make it easier to clear out enemeis... nope.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, my service record doesn't show any of the campaign levels I beat today... Hope it corrects itself. That would suck to have to replay another 4 hours or so.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Speaking of Banshee's, when I was running through co-op Legendary the banshee AI was constantly crashing into corners for easy boarding.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
didn't Frankie say Prothean Vision is something that would never be used be anyone except for newbies and that it wasn't powerful

and people pointed out how it's pretty obviously extremely powerful

and then MLG pros used nothing but prothean vision

and then a bunch of nerds here defended Frankie and said you're wrong you need to play the game

and then the game came out and prothean vision was super powerful

I'm gonna jump out a window

Be sure to pick jetpack first, fall damage and all...

lilty

One mission I saw 2 banshees crash into each other and explode which made things a lot easier. There were also quite a few times where elites would run into walls and get stuck.

Akai__

Speaking of Banshee's. When I was running through co-op Legendary the banshee AI was constantly crashing into corners for easy boarding.

Was this on the 7th mission maybe? Because I saw like 5 Banshees flying into the ground and doing nothing. Was pretty weird...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
One mission I saw 2 banshees crash into each other and explode which made things a lot easier. There were also quite a few times where elites would run into walls and get stuck.
I had Prom. Knights which would not move if they were far enough and a grunt which blasted its fuel rod even though it had two other grunts in front of it.
Was this on the 7th mission maybe? Because I saw like 5 Banshees flying into the ground and doing nothing. Was pretty weird...
Any mission with a banshee it happened to me actually.

Banshees seem to just go derp around sometimes. Forget which level, but ALL the banshees were just facing right into the ground, not even moving. I honestly thought they weren't in use and just stuck until my reticle turned red when I aimed at them.

GhaleonEB

I'm at that point in mission 3 where you get into a Banshee and instantly blow up 50 times because Grunts can shoot you from any distance and there are soft ceilings and invisible barriers in every direction you want to fly and the area is this little bowl of death.

So far, from the start to this point, Halo 4 has been the least fun I've had in any first play though of a Halo game. I'm sitting here sort of in denial, but those are the thoughts in my head right now.

Quick question about the skins: I got the amazon preorder one for the web skin. Does it work on all amor or not? How do I apply skins, are they a separate customization category, such as helmet or visor?

Edit: From what I've played at friend's, the campaign is pretty good but I had a fair amount of WTF moments concerning the finer gameplay mechanics. The banshee pilots as if it was submersed in a gelatinous liquid. The barrel roll is horribly slow and it's just generally a shitty and unsatisfying vehicle. In general, all the vehicles except the mantis are not as fun as in previous Halo games.
And in terms of looks, almost every single design change was for the worse. Elites look worse, grunts look worse, jackals look worse, warthog looks worse. Covenant weapons sound like shit too.
I get that 343i wanted to leave its own mark, but did they have to change the elite and grunt design to the worst in the series?
Why not take the Reach designs and leave your own mark with the forerunner designs (which are beautiful btw)?

neoism

so is the texture shit in this game, because I'm not sure if it was because my disc wasn't in installed but the textures in campaign are sad....

It has a slight recoil you were probably correcting for instinctively.

I'm a ways into mission 3. Very mixed on the Campaign so far.

I'm halfway or three-fourths of the way into the second level and I'd have to say it's the same for me. Most of my problems have to deal with the combat/gameplay. I'm hoping things pick up when the Prometheans show up, whenever that is.

Woorloog

Banned
So far, from the start to this point, Halo 4 has been the least fun I've had in any first play though of a Halo game. I'm sitting here sort of in denial, but those are the thoughts in my head right now.

Huh? Even worse than Reach? Oh, BTW, how did you like Reach first time you played it?
I think i liked it, its issues started bothering me later.
Wonder if the same applies to Halo 4 campaign... I did like this more than Halo 3's for sure though.

EDIT played the campaign in one session, took some, what 10 hours?

Havok

IT'S HALO TIME. CAMPAIGN IS FOR LATER. MULTI HERE I COME.

(disc is still installing)
Get ready for "The Halo 4 server is not available at this time."! It's pretty rad!

(the game is fun, you will shout less I think. or possibly more.)
I'm at that point in mission 3 where you get into a Banshee and instantly blow up 50 times because Grunts can shoot you from any distance and there are soft ceilings and invisible barriers in every direction you want to fly and the area is this little bowl of death.

You should probably know that the section you're describing is easily the worst part of the game, in my eyes. I really enjoy the level you're coming up to.

What are your thoughts on VERY repetitive button pushing sequences? If you love them, you are in for a real treat for a few levels.

So I redeemed my multiplayer LE code bundle thing and it says you get 6 specilizations but all the specilizations are locked. Am I doing something wrong?

GhaleonEB

Huh? Even worse than Reach? Oh, BTW, how did you like Reach first time you played it?
I think i liked it, its issues started bothering me later.
Wonder if the same applies to Halo 4 campaign... I did like this more than Halo 3's for sure though.

I enjoyed the combat in Reach, even if the encounter design wasn't the greatest. Dat feedback loop.

I'm just....not enjoying this. The combat is really sub-par, even though there's some good encounter set ups. I will take some time to figure out why, after I get through it. I'll play a bit more tonight. But this is the most negative campaign first impression I've had in the series.
What are your thoughts on VERY repetitive button pushing sequences? If you love them, you are in for a real treat for a few levels.

Dammit. I was saving up a joke about parts of the game being a first person button pressing simulation. But I wasn't sure if that kept going.

I hope I'm not alone when I say this:

I don't know what it is – it could be the less-than-what-we're-used-to feedback when shooting the Covenant as Ghal described, poorer AI, or the fact that I'm not feeling any challenge whatsoever, or some other factor – but the combat in Halo 4 is...boring (so far). I am very disengaged from how I deal with the Covenant in this game, unlike past Halo games (even Reach). It's why I'm very much looking forward to (hoping) that the Prometheans really shake things up.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm about to bite the bullet like always and put my faith in this new Halo. I liked Halo 2, I liked Halo 3 more, and I fucking detest Reach, how will I like Halo 4?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I decided to download Waypoint while waiting for the servers to work and this seems to have fixed it,

Possible MM FIX:

Download latest Waypoint via H4 Menu, launch it, exit out, play H4. Should load up your records just fine.

Akai__

I had Prom. Knights which would not move if they were far enough and a grunt which blasted its fuel rod even though it had two other grunts in front of it.

Any mission with a banshee it happened to me actually.

Banshees seem to just go derp around sometimes. Forget which level, but ALL the banshees were just facing right into the ground, not even moving. I honestly thought they weren't in use and just stuck until my reticle turned red when I aimed at them.

I didn't saw them anywhere else doing this, but I didn't pay that much attention, too.

SltPoison explained it perfectly.

Woorloog

Banned
I enjoyed the combat in Reach, even if the encounter design wasn't the greatest. Dat feedback loop.

I'm just....not enjoying this. The combat is really sub-par, even though there's some good encounter set ups. I will take some time to figure out why, after I get through it. I'll play a bit more tonight. But this is the most negative campaign first impression I've had in the series.

For me it is otherway around. I didn't like Reach's combat even first time playing it, the enemies felt too strong and/or the weapons were underpowered (after getting the DMR things got better...)
Halo 4, everything feels powerful. Encounter design is not quite on par with Halo 3... but better than Reach, IMO.
The AI is not very good though, even on Heroic. Guess Covies didn't get any new tricks, they were very predictable.

GhaleonEB

I hope I'm not alone when I say this:

I don't know what it is – it could be the less-than-what-we're-used-to feedback when shooting the Covenant as Ghal described, poorer AI, or the fact that I'm not feeling any challenge whatsoever, or some other factor – but the combat in Halo 4 is...boring (so far). I am very disengaged from how I deal with the Covenant in this game, unlike past Halo games (even Reach). It's why I'm very much looking forward to (hoping) that the Prometheans really shake things up.

I agree. That's what I was trying to describe when I said the combat was flat. It's unsatisfying.

And the Prometheans do shake things up a bit. But I'm a little worried that I've seen the bag of tricks already; I hope some new enemies or configurations emerge.

On a positive note, the auto turret AA is a lot of fun. Worked some great flanking maneuvers against packs of guys I was having trouble with by dropping it and then sneaking around.

Dammit. I was saving up a joke about parts of the game being a first person button pressing simulation. But I wasn't sure if that kept going.

MISSION OBJECTIVES

*Press Button
*Place Four Fingers on Random Touch Screens
*Insert Cortana
*Retrieve Cortana
*REPEAT ABOVE UNTIL A CUTSCENE HAPPENS.

How anyone at 343 thought this was fun...no words....

I'm halfway or three-fourths of the way into the second level and I'd have to say it's the same for me. Most of my problems have to deal with the combat/gameplay. I'm hoping things pick up when the Prometheans show up, whenever that is.
I kinda find it less fun now that the Prometheans show up! (But I'm still enjoying it.)

The AI is seriously worrisome at times, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom