• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

So I just played Flood for the heck of it and I'm seeing human enemies as a human and I get betrayals for killing them. Wut

Same here except on the Flood side. Reticle turned red for a second, so naturally I lunged and got a betrayal. Doesn't happen every time, just randomly.

renjility

Neo Member
Anyone else getting inexplicable errors connecting in multiplayer? It's been hanging for me all evening, no problem with any other game.

MrDaravon

I just have an issue with being split from friends and dealing with dumbshits. At some point kill/death doesn't enter my mind it's just a terrible experience.

Oh I agree, the team splitting thing is complete bullshit that I still can't believe is in there intentionally. My other point is that by it's very nature JIP renders your W/L ratio and counts irrelevant, and unless they state that they're going to remove it or make it a toggle I think people will want to accept that sooner rather than later.

Oh I agree, the team splitting thing is complete bullshit that I still can't believe is in there intentionally. My other point is that by it's very nature JIP renders your W/L ratio and counts irrelevant, and unless they state that they're going to remove it or make it a toggle I think people will want to accept that sooner rather than later.

I already have a love/hate relationship with this game. Some stuff is great. Some stuff I'm already annoyed to fuck with.

Nirvana

Campaign was incredibly solid, amazing storytelling, gripping moments and some great gameplay. I need to do my Legendary run to really catch the details though, so that will come later.

Multiplayer is also great at the moment, shots are going exactly where I want and the Sniper Rifle feels super accurate again.

Also, as an Australian player, connections have been solid (apart from a few lengthy black screens due to drop outs). Although, this could be because we got the game a little earlier than the States and thus, had a big Aussie population online; not entirely sure.

But anyway, I snagged a premium theme code already, so whoever's quickest can have this one:

97QWX-JYC9Q-TGWV9-XGJFF-KY39Z

Back to Halo 4.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I just have an issue with being split from friends and dealing with dumbshits. At some point kill/death doesn't enter my mind it's just a terrible experience.

When entering matchmaking with a party you should never be split up. Unless someone else joins your party while you're queuing, making your party larger than a single team size. Can you send me a PM with all the details? Thanks.

Sai-kun

Banned
Anyone care to update me on these puzzle patterns from the Waypoint classified tags and homepage banner images? *I looked through the last 5-10 pages but nothing there, also looked through Waypoint but things are busy as you can imagine.

1. I put the puzzle pieces together in one strip
YHJeV.jpg

2. The source puzzle image from the Waypoint homepage
apVCN.png

3. Another image found from the "classified" tag cloud
MMZQZ.png

I'm not up with the alphabet or even if this was solved etc???

See the first post on this page, and check out the imgur links.

You might have to find all the Domain Terminals before you can unlock the contents, but here's what the unlocks are:

Armor/Emblem spoilers?

First two codes:
Raider Shoulders + 500 XP
Raider Torso + 500 XP
Raider Helmet
(The code for this hasn't been found yet)

Third code:
Mark VI Helmet
Mark VI Torso
Mark VI Shoulders
Mark VI Forearms
Mark VI Legs

Legendary Visor (Orange)
"117" Foreground Emblem
ONI Foreground Emblem

When entering matchmaking with a party you should never be split up. Unless someone else joins your party while you're queuing, making your party larger than a single team size. Can you send me a PM with all the details? Thanks.

I think someone else joined right before honestly but I can send the game link in question. My issue is if you want to join a friend you have to wait till they're in lobby now or what?

lybertyboy

I think someone else joined right before honestly but I can send the game link in question. My issue is if you want to join a friend you have to wait till their in lobby now or what?

You can join a friend in progress if they're in a lobby with open room or if they're in a match with an open slot. However, if you join them mid-match there's no way to guarantee that open slot is on their team. So in that case, you could be on a different team, but could easily party up at the end of that match.

You can join a friend in progress if they're in a lobby with open room or if they're in a match with an open slot. However, if you join them mid-match there's no way to guarantee that open slot is on their team. So in that case, you could be on a different team, but could easily party up at the end of that match.

Right but you'd essentially have to wait till the end to ensure that you don't end up facing them? In Reach you could essentially queue up, leave it alone and then join them.

I can't get the link yet but I'll be sure to send it you. I'm probably mistaken, and maybe someone was in there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Hey David, sent you on Twitter but will campaign progress show back up once the server kinks are ironed out?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
that's why you have to roll recon controls

I hear only the realest of men play Recon

Right but you'd essentially have to wait till the end to ensure that you don't end up facing them? In Reach you could essentially queue up, leave it alone and then join them.

What would you want though? Wait until their match finishes or join on either team? I would choose latter to be honest. I would rather kill time by playing instead of waiting in a lobby.

lybertyboy

Hey David, sent you on Twitter but will campaign progress show back up once the server kinks are ironed out?

Not sure. I'm waiting on an all up run down of today's server progress. However, our services team says the vast majority of players should be having a more consistent experience in matchmaking right now.

I'd want the choice. I don't like joining opposite my friends.

In that case, my suggestion would be to send them an invite and wait for them to join you after the match.

I hear only the realest of men play Recon

What would you want though? Wait until their match finishes or join on either team? I would choose latter to be honest. I would rather kill time by playing instead of waiting in a lobby.

I'd want the choice to queue up and not join them till the end. I don't like joining opposite my friends. I've been spoiled by the convenience of queueing, waiting, doing stuff while I wait then knowing I'm joined up with them when they talk.

Petrichor

Honestly. This is the level of story telling that Bungie shoudl have been pushing from day 1.

But they exceeded it in halo 2. Apart from the dialogue which is admittedly snappier - the storytelling is very much in the same ballpark as Halo 3, i.e there's not much of it.

Ok this is exactly how it should work. Thats good!

Seance

Banned
JIP + Peer to Peer + No Quit Penalty + The game actively searching for a new host even when no one is leaving =

Happy happy fun times.

Nirvana

But they exceeded it in halo 2. Apart from the dialogue which is admittedly snappier - the storytelling is very much in the same ballpark as Halo 3, i.e there's not much of it.

I agree whole-heartedly, but Halo 4 had some beautiful story moments.

Petrichor

I agree whole-heartedly, but Halo 4 had some beautiful story moments.

Definitely, I particularly liked
the final exchange between laskey and the chief, and basically everything about Dr Tilson's character. One major gripe I have is the way cortana's rampancy is treated like a cheap plot device rather than an ongoing narrative arc that you should be paying attention to. It's basically the gravemind flashes from halo 3 all over again + cortana death out of nowhere.

The librarian infodump is also handled horribly. I'm not against it in principle, its just too brief to be of any interest to the player

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I thought with what they had to work with in CE they pulled it off perfectly. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I replayed the entire franchise recently..and obviously you gotta compensate for the aging..but chief was never pushed as a real character. Ever. He was pushed as Chrono. The lore around him defined him however he never had his own voice.

zap

Anyone care to update me on these puzzle patterns from the Waypoint classified tags and homepage banner images? *I looked through the last 5-10 pages but nothing there, also looked through Waypoint but things are busy as you can imagine.

1. I put the puzzle pieces together in one strip
http://i.imgur.com/YHJeV.jpg

2. The source puzzle image from the Waypoint homepage
http://i.imgur.com/apVCN.png
3. Another image found from the "classified" tag cloud
http://i.imgur.com/MMZQZ.png

I'm not up with the alphabet or even if this was solved etc???

I did this, got the two armour piece and 500 EXP. Then when going on Waypoint, it said that this was "Requiem Archive I" - the other archives are hidden in different sections of halowaypoint.com.

Edit: beaten handily.

JackHerer

Matchmaking is working much better now. I can party up with people now at least. We do occasionally get booted back to the menu because of network issues.

Honestly I think the only thing I don't really like about this game so far is instant respawn. It makes things too chaotic. You're never safe at any time and you don't know when it's ok to push up because all those guys you just killed will most likely be rushing right back to you to clean you up. This can lead to moments of the game feeling "cheap".

It feels like there is always a constant flow of players coming at you at all times which can be frustrating. You never feel like you won a battle because they are always instantly respawning and coming at you again. This is most noticeable in BTB. Not as bad in 4v4.

Petrichor

I replayed the entire franchise recently..and obviously you gotta compensate for the aging..but chief was never pushed as a real character. Ever. He was pushed as Chrono. The lore around him defined him however he never had his own voice.

Is he really pushed as a character in halo 4 though? There's that one recurring theme about him being a machine, but that's it, and even then cortana seems to come out with that line completely randomly when they're on the infinity.

For me at least, halo has never been about the chief, it was the arbiter, the prophets, the flood, cortana and the forerunner that I found compelling. I can take or leave the aliens-esque future military elements of the fiction, the chief included.

Help:

My friend cannot play the game from his account. He does not have internet access, it says he does not have harddrive space, wont let him play custom games, save his SP, earn achievements, etc. However, he can do all this from any other account on his 360... any help?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've no idea, I entered the codes and the stuff unlocked..

Did you already beat the game?

Halo CEA terminals I would assume.

That would be lame as hell if true.

Possibly finding all the Domain terminals in 4.

That would make more sense, thanks bud.

Yeah, I've done it on Legendary and got all Terminals. I'm SR-25 in War Games.

That combined with what Sai just said is probably it.

Thanks bud.

Tunavi

Banned
Honestly. This is the level of story telling that Bungie shoudl have been pushing from day 1.
I'm not very far yet but that first level is up there, if not better than, H1/H2's.

So far this campaign really brings it back to H1 type quality. Cortana and Chief stranded. love it.

JackHerer

Is he really pushed as a character in halo 4 though? There's that one recurring theme about him being a machine, but that's it, and even then cortana seems to come out with that line completely randomly when they're on the infinity.

For me at least, halo has never been about the chief, it was the arbiter, the prophets, the flood, cortana and the forerunner that I found compelling. I can take or leave the aliens-esque future military elements of the fiction, the chief included.

I kind of agree. Some of the attempts to develop chief as a character felt a little heavy handed and out of place. Particularly the line Cortana throws out about Chief promising to find out which of them is the machine before it's over. Still, overall I found the storytelling to be much more engaging than Bungie's. Even if some of it is a little cheesy. They did an excellent job with the cutscenes. I do wish they had more variety in the encounters and there were more than 3 promethean enemy types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom