• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIIVII

See the first post on this page, and check out the imgur links.

You might have to find all the Domain Terminals before you can unlock the contents, but here's what the unlocks are:

Armor/Emblem spoilers?

First two codes:
Raider Shoulders + 500 XP
Raider Torso + 500 XP
Raider Helmet
(The code for this hasn't been found yet)

Third code:
Mark VI Helmet
Mark VI Torso
Mark VI Shoulders
Mark VI Forearms
Mark VI Legs

Legendary Visor (Orange)
"117" Foreground Emblem
ONI Foreground Emblem

Where do you put the codes in? Waypoint?

daedalius

I kind of agree. Some of the attempts to develop chief as a character felt a little heavy handed and out of place. Particularly the line Cortana throws out about Chief promising to find out which of them is the machine before it's over. Still, overall I found the storytelling to be much more engaging than Bungie's. Even if some of it is a little cheesy. They did an excellent job with the cutscenes. I do wish they had more variety in the encounters and there were more than 3 promethean enemy types.

I actually thought that was an excellent line.

Redford

aka Cabbie
The scoreboard is pretty convoluted and I don't care for the 600 point system in place. I'l get use to calculating how many kills are needed for the win, but the layout is not good, imo. Not very straightforward especially when you can spawn instantly and don't see it half the time.

If that and JIP were adjusted I'd have nothing bad to say at all.

Fracas

#fuckonami
After a full day of multiplayer, I'm not sure how I feel. The majority of the time, it's really good. Other times, it's just as bad as Reach, in terms of dying/losing because of a mechanic and not skill. It fixed a chunk of the problems that Reach created, but it made many more.

Redford

aka Cabbie
After a full day of multiplayer, I'm not sure how I feel. The majority of the time, it's really good. Other times, it's just as bad as Reach, in terms of dying/losing because of a mechanic and not skill. It fixed a chunk of the problems that Reach created, but it made many more.

Which mechanics specifically? Could you name some of the problems?

kylej

Banned
You're going to have to wait a bit for everyone to get a rating, like all TrueSkill ratings.

dTCou.gif

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Is he really pushed as a character in halo 4 though? There's that one recurring theme about him being a machine, but that's it, and even then cortana seems to come out with that line completely randomly when they're on the infinity.

For me at least, halo has never been about the chief, it was the arbiter, the prophets, the flood, cortana and the forerunner that I found compelling. I can take or leave the aliens-esque future military elements of the fiction, the chief included.

Great points. But they also reinforce what my point is. Push the protagonist. H4 really makes you feel like..holy shit..master fucking chief! you really feel the mystique and the awe around him. He really lives up to the spartan mythos. In the past you were kind of like..hey cool a spartan..you definitely felt 'lonely' but never quite revered. I like chief with a semi personality.

Petrichor

Great points. But they also reinforce what my point is. Push the protagonist. H4 really makes you feel like..holy shit..master fucking chief! you really feel the mystique and the awe around him. He really lives up to the spartan mythos. In the past you were kind of like..hey cool a spartan..you definitely felt 'lonely' but never quite revered. I like chief with a semi personality.

I get what you're saying, and agree with you to an extent. Though I think I like the idea of chief's personality playing a more prominent role in the story than the execution of it.
It still feels like cortana is telling him what to do for the whole game

Fracas

#fuckonami

Which mechanics specifically? Could you name some of the problems?

---

Anybody find the sniper feels even easier than Reach to use?

-Promethean Vision is way overpowered
-Spawning is really bad at times. At least once a match I spawn in front of someone
-Binary rifle is incredibly overpowered
-Hardlight shield is the lite version of armor lock
-Every Infinity Slayer match I've played felt like Heavies. An insane amount of power weapons and vehicles
-The Mantis is overpowered. It's a more mobile tank.
-Persistent network issues. Lag, black screens, kicking people (I assume this will be fixed, but it's a big deal right now)

Off the top of my head.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I get what you're saying, and agree with you to an extent. Though I think I like the idea of chief's personality playing a more prominent role in the story than the execution of it.
It still feels like cortana is telling him what to do for the whole game

Really? I guess that is subjective. I honestly didnt get that.

Something that's bugging me about the whole global ordnance thing is with no loadout weapons being propagated with it, you can only replenish your ammo off of corpses. When I'm running low on ammo there's nowhere I can retreat to to stock up.

Also DMR completely wrecks Ragnarok, fighting across the map all over the place. BR's gonna get phased out.

Tawpgun

Can't believe I never made/heard about this connection before

Halo 4/Fall of Reach/Cryptum Spoilers

So a big theme of Master Chief has been his luck... in Cryptum the geas were introduced... the Librarian in Halo 4 basically said that Chief's luck was due to his gea. Damn.

Cow

Something that's bugging me about the whole global ordnance thing is with no loadout weapons being propagated with it, you can only replenish your ammo off of corpses. When I'm running low on ammo there's nowhere I can retreat to to stock up.

Also DMR completely wrecks Ragnarok, fighting across the map all over the place. BR's gonna get phased out.

I really hope they make the BR 4 shot (take 12 bullets to kill rather than 13). I want to hear thhrr's instead of pew's
Would make it better close-mid range than the DMR, but the DMR would still be better than BR mid-long range.

Ramirez

-Promethean Vision is way overpowered
-Spawning is really bad at times. At least once a match I spawn in front of someone
-Binary rifle is incredibly overpowered
-Hardlight shield is the lite version of armor lock
-Every Infinity Slayer match I've played felt like Heavies. An insane amount of power weapons and vehicles
-The Mantis is overpowered. It's a more mobile tank.
-Persistent network issues. Lag, black screens, kicking people (I assume this will be fixed, but it's a big deal right now)

Off the top of my head.

The only one of those I can really agree with is PV, it's a stupid stupid stupid addition to the game and is right up there with AL for most non needed addition to a Halo game.

Looks like you're mostly playing BTB IS though, no?

We played CTF last night and took down the Mantis pretty easily every time, didn't really see a problem with it either...

I'm pretty high on the game right now, it's so tight, fast, & rewarding. Your gun actually works, and I haven't ever felt like I was fighting a game mechanic yet. I could live without PV, but overall, the game is so much fun, I can live with it at this point.

IHaveIce

Banned
The only one of those I can really agree with is PV, it's a stupid stupid stupid addition to the game and is right up there with AL for most non needed addition to a Halo game.

Looks like you're mostly playing BTB IS though, no?

We played CTF last night and took down the Mantis pretty easily every time, didn't really see a problem with it either...

I'm pretty high on the game right now, it's so tight, fast, & rewarding. Your gun actually works, and I haven't ever felt like I was fighting a game mechanic yet. I could live without PV, but overall, the game is so much fun, I can live with it at this point.

I agree wit you overall but I don't think you can compare PV to Armor Lock, Armor Lock really slowed down gameplay and stopped action, while PV often fastens the gameplay

Man, you have this alien race that is a bunch of worms capable of reforming themselves into basically whatever form or function they desire, yet for like the 6th Halo game in a row the Hunters have received no new variant or behavioral changes.

Ramirez

I agree wit you overall but I don't think you can compare PV to Armor Lock, Armor Lock really slowed down gameplay and stopped action, while PV often fastens the gameplay

What? We played Abandon last night and the guys sit up in the top mid structure with PV & shotgun/scattershots for half the game, it was miserable.

Radar is bad enough, but when a person can see exactly how you're going to be coming in on the attack, it's a little stupid. The range should have been nerfed to hell and back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I can tell you right now it's gonna slow it down for me. The moment I get pinged I'm gonna sit and wait the guy pinging me out.

heckfu

Banned
What? We played Abandon last night and the guys sit up in the top mid structure with PV & shotgun/scattershots for half the game, it was miserable.

Radar is bad enough, but when a person can see exactly how you're going to be coming in on the attack, it's a little stupid. The range should have been nerfed to hell and back.

I'm starting to agree about pro vision. It didn't seem like it was going to be abused that much but it's getting out of hand with Abandon being the perfect example.

Bungie's Destiny game now seems confirmed to be like Halo.

Here's the quick summary but if you want to discuss or follow this more may I suggest my thread over at B.net - Bungie's new game (Now confirmed to be like Halo)

Latest Destiny News - BIG LEAK, confirms Destiny is like Halo

Just one snippet that confirms it's like Halo:
He also gathers that the general consensus from others is that Destiny is "still quite like Halo" and "there is a lot of work still to be done". And he concludes with a confirmation of an old rumour that the project previous condemned "Tiger" is now referred to as "Destiny".

Snippet about gameplay and no dedicated servers:
This is not a dedicated server game, but there is some simulation and coordination running in their server infrastructure. The game was up and down a lot, playing in a team of 3 we did manage to experience entering a zone to find other players already taking on the bad guys, it's cooperative so we helped out (mostly [name removed], I just died) before both groups went their separate ways. Which is a pretty cool experience, making you feel you are part of a much larger populated world.
...At the end of the day I was excited about the game, I like the feel of being in a large world with different destinations and the interactions along the way. It actually brought back a sense of exploration I recall from playing [Elite] many years ago, although there was no opportunity to shoot aliens in the face in Elite. I'm not fully sold on the appeal of being able to change the colour of a weapon, but I guess it works in China, and customisation and individual identity is a big theme for the game.

On Topic
Finished Halo 4 campaign Heroic in 5 hours and I love it. Everything I felt about CE first play through and what I expect from a modern FPS game too. I could have done without a few of the QTE's but overall I have little gripes about the quality and execution from 343i. Sure there are some gameplay elements I'd like updated but for this current generation console 343i really pushed so much to the limit and kept it all silky smooth. For the next generation Halo 5 I expect no bullet sponge cheapness though.

Tonight I move on to playing Spartan Ops and if I finish those 5 missions some war games, can't wait to see how my DMR love comes out in multiplayer.

I am having the biggest concern about "No Good Connection Filter" for multiplayer. I have many friends and forum buddies reporting poor game experiences due to latency issues and not having this important aspect. Forget game mechanics, forget graphics, forget hitscan etc...everything is less important for multiplayer than connection quality. Why was this removed? Why ignore over 2.2 million xbox consoles sold in Australia, let alone all international players?

J10

Banned
Frankie wasn't lying when he said we'd have everything we need for loadouts after an hour of multiplayer. DMR, PV, Shielding, Dexterity - who would ever use anything else?

Ken

Just had a game where the enemy team spammed PV every second. :I Of course they had gamertags like GETNOSCOPEDBRO.

Killing people feels really unrewarding now when they can spawn right in front of you and finish you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom