• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

*shrugs*

What can I say?

I'm done going up against teams of people 10 levels higher than me.

I'm tired of shooting dudes with popped shields through a red reticule an insane amount of times only for my teammates to clean-up the kill on a single-shot to the guy's ass.

It's not fun. I'll try again tomorrow.

But suffice to say, first impressions are that this game is a HUGE let-down over Bungie's efforts multiplayer-wise. Bungie seemed to have some sense of craft to the balance of their gameplay, whereas these guys have seemingly tried to throw in as much shit as possible to cover the fact that they can't recapture the magic.

Let it go, man. Think of it as being a team player.

blamite

Alright, I finished the campaign a few hours ago, 7 hours 14 minutes on Heroic. Brief Not as brief as I'd hoped thoughts, kind of big spoilers so don't read if you haven't finished campaign. Also it's late so I'm kind of rambling, sorry.

The story was a bit confusing. I mean the basics are obvious, but the whos whys and hows aren't, at all. I'm saying this as someone who's read just about every piece of Halo fiction, including the Forerunner novels so much of the story is based on. The Didact and Librarian infodumps just went too fast, with no real explanation about what had just been said. Even once the Composer was introduced I still didn't really understand what exactly the Didact was planning on doing. Killing humans I guess, but also uploading them into digital form for whatever reason? What's the point of that, why is the Composer even necessary? The game's super vague on what it actually does. What the hell was the whole "Prometheans are humans" thing about? That was mentioned in one line then dropped and never mentioned again. Overall the story seemed much more focused on "space magic" than any of the previous games, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, just a bit jarring with the way it's handled, and how Master Chief just immediately accepts everything with no questions. The last scene with Cortana is weird and out of nowhere and kind of jarring, also a bit confusing as to what actually happened. Overall Cortana's whole relationshippy thing towards the Chief feels really awkward. It would probably be great if their relationship had had more to it in the first 3 games. Also, did the Didact survive at the end? I have no idea, I assumed the speech you hear him give over the CG scene was from way back when he was first imprisoned on Requiem, but Halopedia seems to think he survived somehow.

Mission-wise, I more-or-less enjoyed the majority of the game. I think I didn't quite "get" the Mammoth mission the first time around. It felt more like a CoD mission than a Halo one to me, not in terms of the gameplay, but in the way you're trucked around from one self-contained encounter to another. I was also a bit confused about all the weapons available, so now that I know my way around the Mammoth better I imagine I'll enjoy the mission more later. The mission where you fly a Pelican felt like it was really trying to be like New Alexandria, but the emptiness of the sky and the fact that there are only three identical towers that you fly to kind of failed to live up to the premise. All Forerunner interiors kind of look the same. Dramatic and urgent moments get ruined by having to take 10 minutes to fight through a group of enemies. Every infantry AI squadmate in the game died on me, which made some of the objectives on Infinity kind of awkward.

I still liked the campaign a lot despite the complaints, Maybe not as much as 2 or 3 but it was still really fun. I have no idea where 5 will go.

I played a bit of multiplayer, mostly splitscreen with my roommate and it's been really fun. I can't wait to get into that more and play with you guys later on.

Overdoziz

Banned
How can we go from this:

N9ni9.jpg

To this:

???

Ken

How do I get my screenshots off the web? I uploaded it to fileshare but I don't see any screenshots place on the Waypoint site.

FyreWulff

How can we go from this:

To this:

???

How can we go from having a stat API to not having a stat API when the work was already done and all they had to do was redeploy the servers that resided in the same building as where Bungie had them only months earlier?

tl;dr I dunno

In web UI though, Bungie has tons of years of experience in that front. There's a reason why when any game has web stats, they're called "Bungie.net style statistics"

Nirvana

What playlist is Ravine in? Looks good, want to check it out.

I'm already kind of bored of most of the Infinity Slayer maps, Haven excluded, simply because I think it is an incredibly well designed arena map. The others have pretty rough choke points and the central areas generally offer too much cover and height advantages. Adrift is choke point central, there just aren't enough routes and I often find myself stuck in long corridors, completely out of options.

1 niggling thing about Campaign that annoys me every time:
You get to a door, door opens, Cortana immediately sets a Waypoint for something 60m straight in front of you and the switch is the only remarkable thing in the room, the clear focal point.
It's so frustrating.
How can we go from this:

To this:

???
To answer simply: different studios. Bungie have been market leaders in that field since Halo 2. They've an amazing back and front end team.

343's Reach stat page was pretty bad compared to Bungie's, but it was better than nothing. However, this new Halo 4 stat page is absolutely atrocious. It's just way too complicated to look at and navigate.

Omni

yeah, i miss armor lock and bloom so much!

Same. I liked how it added another layer of skill to the game. Not only was it about strafing and aiming, but you also had to time your shots too. Armour lock made people think before rushing into a room and meleeing everyone.

Halo 4 is so "casual" in comparison.

Nirvana

Yay, but CoD-inspired unlockable bullshit is so great!

It sounds like you've had some bad games in matchmaking and now you're just bashing the game in its entirety. I thank the lord for unlockable Cod bullshit, because now I don't have to start with a goddamn Assault Rifle ever again.

Omni

It sounds like you've had some bad games in matchmaking and now you're just bashing the game in its entirety. I thank the lord for unlockable Cod bullshit, because now I don't have to start with a goddamn Assault Rifle ever again.

And it's not even like it makes a difference in-game what people spawn with.

Nirvana

And it's not even like it makes a difference in-game what people spawn with.

Agreed; the weapons are well balanced enough the you can choose any one of the combinations of primary and secondary and still be as well off as anyone else. Also, even if it did make a difference, you can just choose the same loadout as them, so it doesn't matter either way.

You're right. Fighting for weapons that spawn on the map and earning the right to use those weapons through demonstration of skill was such a quaint and archaic notion. Better to reward players for nothing more than time invested with ability to spawn with the weapon of their choice.

You're right. Fighting for weapons that spawn on the map and earning the right to use those weapons through demonstration of skill was such a quaint and archaic notion. Better to reward players for nothing more than time invested with ability to spawn with the weapon of their choice.
You only had to fight your teammates for the first to the BR with shitty automatic starts. You don't have a choice to start off with anything more powerful than a utility weapon. Though I do wish there was some way to replenish your starter weapon ammo other than picking off corpses.

Umm.. Last night I redeemed all my codes in the LE and went to play the game.
Today I noticed that I cannot see all of the specializations, but my other friends can.
So I went back, and redeems the Specializations/Season Pass/etc code again, and it said I already used it.
So why can't I see all of the specializations?

Has anyone else had this issue?
I'm just worried my season pass didn't register or something :(

Lingitiz

Didn't everyone
A. either vote BRs/DMRs and bitch when they didn't get it.
or
B. Immediately grab one on the map, making everyone who didn't get one prey to precision rifles?

I may not agree with all the changes, but I have no problem with the loadouts. It cuts out stupid weapon placement like having a Plasma Pistol or Spiker on the map that noone ever uses. You can't spawn with a power weapon anyways, so all this has done is level the playing field. Its been long needed in this franchise IMO.

Ramirez

I love this game man, it has some flaws & down right baffling things, but overall, the base gameplay is just too good. We pooped on kids in BTB IS all night, and the highlight was definitely being down like 600 to 200 due to a Gauss Hog (no business in MM), and Eazy got a Tank spawn and brought us all the way back to win by like 3 kills.

That said, BTB needs some objective in it, I can only take so much IS on Valhalla.

FyreWulff

I love this game man, it has some flaws & down right baffling things, but overall, the base gameplay is just too good. We pooped on kids in BTB IS all night, and the highlight was definitely being down like 600 to 200 due to a Gauss Hog (no business in MM), and Eazy got a Tank spawn and brought us all the way back to win by like 3 kills.

That said, BTB needs some objective in it, I can only take so much IS on Valhalla.

The Valhalla thing will probably calm down after people get "I WANT TO PLAY ON VAHALLA" out of their system.

Omni

A minor complaint.

There's so much shit on the screen in matchmaking, that sometimes I don't even realise if I've killed someone and/or who I killed. Bit annoying, IMO.

FyreWulff

Also am I missing something, or is there an indicator that the Xbox is picking up your voice? I was playing with Devo/Shake/etc earlier and I saw all the names stack on the lower right while they were talking, but I didn't see a mic icon or anything for myself when I talked.

Ken

Join in progress 280 - 80 game. Worst I've seen today was a 400 - 80 game and me on the losing team of course.

Anyone interested in trading for some Halo 4 goodies?

Got these for trade:

- Forest Armor
- Deadeye Helmet
- Arctic Battle Rifle Skin
- War Games Haven XBL Theme
- XBL Ghost Avatar
- Bonebreaker MP Emblem
- Mjolnir MP Emblem

Looking for other Halo 4 stuff.

Feeling pretty confused about Halo 4 at my desk this morning (partly because I stayed up to 5am following the election after an 10-hour working day with no lunch). There are some big ticket things that are seriously disappointing, several overarching design ideas that are fundamentally not Halo to me, and myriad tiny things that are just irritating or inexplicable (why remove K/D spread?).

And yet I had a blast much of the time I was playing last night and am very annoyed I have to wait a working day to get back to it. Probably once I accept that it really is all very Call of Halo (while also having the tightest 1v1 duels in the series), everything will fall in place. I'll just have to forget some of the missing things that were special about Halo for me.

If I had to rank the campaigns right now, I'd say

Gameplay:
3>Reach=4>CE=ODST>2

Story:
2>1>3>4>Reach>ODST

I was kinda underwhelmed by the Prometheans. They weren't really fun to fight against. The Watchers barely did anything on Heroic, it felt an Engineer from Reach: Something you take out quickly. So basically, there were only 2 Promethean types to fight against. One was an enormous bullet sponge with some cheap tricks and the other was really weak.

I thought the Covenant was much more fun to fight. Plus they had vehicles.

Ramirez

Campaign question, don't read it if you ain't done.

Is the Didact in the game actually Bornstellar? I never really understood that in the books.

Omni

Yeah, look at the sides. It's like a puzzle piece! You enter in the code..... Here
and then that specific one unlocks shoulder pieces for your spartan after playing the first episode of spartan ops

Cool, just did it. What's the second set of glyphs for? I don't even know where to begin with those ones.

Ken

2822836-web_preview.png

That was just on Waypoint. When I refreshed the page it was gone. Have we already talked about it yet?

I don't get it.
You might have to find all the Domain Terminals before you can unlock the contents, but here's what the unlocks are:

Armor/Emblem spoilers?

First two codes:
Raider Shoulders + 500 XP
Raider Torso + 500 XP
Raider Helmet
(The code for this hasn't been found yet)

Third code:
Mark VI Helmet
Mark VI Torso
Mark VI Shoulders
Mark VI Forearms
Mark VI Legs

Legendary Visor (Orange)
"117" Foreground Emblem
ONI Foreground Emblem

Still don't get it. @_@ So
raider1 and raider 2 unlock the raider stuff and oni unlocks...all the Mark VI stuff? What about the Legendary Visor?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
raider1 and raider 2 unlock the raider stuff and oni unlocks...all the Mark VI stuff? What about the Legendary Visor?

I'm just confused because i have no idea of where to find the other codes.
Looks like i'll just have to wait for a youtube tutorial

Loginius

I don't get it.

You dont get it because it is wrong
1st and 2cnd code are correct, those unlock torso and shoulder pices of the raider armor.
The code for the helmet has not been found yet.

The Section 3 code unlocks a oni-emblem and some concept art.
there is at least one more section 3 code that has not been found yet and is teased on waypoint with a hint at the cryptum terminal which only contains 5 of the 10 neccessary signs.

You get the mark VI for completing the game on legendary.
Same for the visor.

Here are all the codes found yet:
http://i.imgur.com/Kztmp.jpg
Mayor props to the guys at https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst121232_Decrypting-Section-3---UPDATE-11-05.aspx that managed to diccipher this stuff.

blamite

Has anything been said about the server issues?

Are there still supposed to be issues? All my campaign data has been recorded on Waypoint and I had no trouble connecting to matches this evening. I thought everything was more or less fixed at this point?

Lame top of page post so here'a a picture of my Spartan.
TQMy0.png

Ken

You dont get it because it is wrong
1st and 2cnd code are correct, those unlock torso and shoulder pices of the raider armor.
The code for the helmet has not been found yet.

The Section 3 code unlocks a oni-emblem and some concept art.
there is at least one more section 3 code that has not been found yet and is teased on waypoint with a hint at the cryptum terminal which only contains 5 of the 10 neccessary signs.

You get the mark VI for completing the game on legendary.
Same for the visor.

Here are all the codes found yet:
http://i.imgur.com/Kztmp.jpg
Mayor props to the guys at https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst121232_Decrypting-Section-3---UPDATE-11-05.aspx that managed to diccipher this stuff.

Okay got the armor pieces.

What does the Alpha Halo terminal stuff unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom